ADVERTISEMENT

Boy Scouts to Scouts AND the Girl Scouts sued?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
Where was I in 2018 when all this went down?

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

A buddy of mine just posted this on the socials, "Lucas had his Blue and Gold ceremony tonight. He is officially done with cub scouts and has moved on to the organization formerly known as as the Boy Scouts! We are so proud of him."

And the comments exploded. "What!? It's not called Boy Scouts any more?"

--------------------------------

Girl Scouts sue Boy Scouts over name change
By Tara John, CNN

A long-running dispute between scouts has now ended up in a Manhattan court.

The Girl Scouts of the USA has filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against the Boy Scouts of America after it announced that it would drop “boy” from the name of a program in 2019. The boys’ group has already begun to welcome older girls.

The Girl Scouts said in the complaint filed in Manhattan federal court Tuesday that the Boy Scouts do not have the right to use “scouts” or “scouting.”

It also alleged that the Girl Scouts brand and activities will be marginalized by the Boy Scouts rebranded program, Scouts BSA.

The Girl Scouts said the change has caused confusion among the public, causing them to think the Girl Scouts did not exist or had merged with the Boy Scouts, Reuters reported.

“Only GSUSA has the right to use the Girl Scouts and Scouts trademarks with leadership development services for girls,” according to the complaint.

Boy Scouts of America told CNN that it was reviewing the lawsuit.

“We applaud every organization that builds character and leadership in children, including the Girl Scouts of the USA, and believe that there is an opportunity for both organizations to serve girls and boys in our communities,” it said in a statement

The lawsuit seeks monetary damages and a permanent injunction against trademark infringement.

It comes months after the Boy Scouts announced in May the name change of its namesake program for teens ages 11-17, called the Boy Scouts, to Scouts BSA.

In 2017, the 108-year-old organization decided to open its highest rank, Eagle Scout, to girls and allowed younger girls to join Cub Scouts. The move was seen as both a reflection of growing progressive attitudes as well as a business decision.

The Boy Scouts told CNN they widened their program offerings for girls after “years of request from families.”

“We believe that we owe it to our current and future members to offer families the options they want,” the organization said.

"The Girl Scouts said the change has caused confusion among the public, causing them to think the Girl Scouts did not exist or had merged with the Boy Scouts, Reuters reported."

I find this statement hard to believe. When Girl Scout Cookie season hits, those girls are EVERYWHERE! If anything, I'd think the Boy Scouts didn't exist, not the other way around.

I never understood why there was so much pressure on the boy scouts to accept girls and they eventually relented given that the Girl Scouts exists.

Is there gong to be pressure on the girl scouts to accept boys?

I never understood why there was so much pressure on the boy scouts to accept girls and they eventually relented given that the Girl Scouts exists.
I agree. I would completely understand it if the Girl Scouts didn't exist. Sometimes us guys just need a break from the ladies. ;)

James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I agree. I would completely understand it if the Girl Scouts didn't exist. Sometimes us guys just need a break from the ladies. ;)

James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I think some people told me that the girl scouts didn't do the same stuff as the boy scouts. But the solution there seems to be to change the girl scouts and have them do the same stuff.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I think some people told me that the girl scouts didn't do the same stuff as the boy scouts. But the solution there seems to be to change the girl scouts and have them do the same stuff.
The activities, projects and skills training that Boy Scouts do is basically nothing like the Girls Scouts. I completely understand the appeal to some girls of wanting to be in BSA vs. GS.

Is there gong to be pressure on the girl scouts to accept boys?
It’s because the Mormon church broke their affiliation with the Boy Scouts. They lost over 1 million members and a crap ton of money when that happened. They started allowing girls to try and make up the difference.

• Wow
Reactions: alaskanseminole
The activities, projects and skills training that Boy Scouts do is basically nothing like the Girls Scouts. I completely understand the appeal to some girls of wanting to be in BSA vs. GS.

My third child was a boy, and he joined scouting, and yes I strongly wished my girls had had the opportunity he had, it was a really fantastic experience for him. And it bears very little similarity to the girl scouts activity and org.

I think they should keep separate girls and boys troops, not coed. But I've got not problem for girls to have the chance to have the same scouting experience.

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT