ADVERTISEMENT

Brands bros talk wrestling and MMA toughness

It's really too bad that Tom & Terry are poor interviewees and public speakers. It concerns me that they can't really explain the Iowa wrestling culture.

images

Great interview. I really enjoyed the part where Terry talked about it not being lonely at the top, it’s the way to the top that’s lonely.

Reactions: Gusaford
All I can say is I wish I worked harder and made better decisions to have a chance to get into the Iowa program. And I envy all members...
To be able to say you made it 4-5 years in that room is very big mountain and quite an accomplishment by it self... This is why I cannot stand the term “room guy”.

Last edited:
Great interview!! That "beautiful" word slipped out from Tom's mouth. It seemed like an inside joke that I would have loved to know about. I love them describing Gable as the first fanatic. :)
It was also a nice moment when Tom tried to console Terry about not winning an Olympic gold and saying he had 2 world titles to Tom's one and that Terry does not give himself enough credit. I wonder who Terry would be had he won an Olympic gold. It seems to haunt him and drive him and also made him wiser. I love how open they are and such straight shooters.

Last edited:
Great interview!! That "beautiful" word slipped out from Tom's mouth. It seemed like an inside joke that I would have loved to know about. I love them describing Gable as the first maniac. :)
It was also a nice moment when Tom tried to console Terry about not winning an Olympic gold and saying he had 2 world titles to Tom's one and that Terry does not give himself enough credit. I wonder who Terry would be had he won an Olympic gold. It seems to haunt him and drive him and also made him wiser. I love how open they are and such straight shooters.

My 2 cents: As great as Terry's wrestling career was, his greatest legacy might be his unparalleled success with lightweights: Cejudo, McDonough, Dennis, Ramos, Clark, Gilman, and Lee, with at least Gilman, Lee and DeSanto still writing their narrative. The common thread for all these guys is Terry. Putting aside my minor annoyance with Flo's "reporters," Flo's documentaries are priceless, and the one on Cejudo showed that Terry was probably the only coach in the United States who could have mentored Henry to a gold medal.

A lot of wisdom shared there.

I'm not sure there is any single "right way" to go about managing a program. From the psychological side of the equation, the key is finding enough talented guys whose personalities and self-understanding will thrive under your particular model to achieve maximum achievement. TnT do a nice job of articulating their model here.

Not that I'm any sort of champ at anything, but the successes I have experienced in my life -- or at least those from which I have consciously felt the high of personal satisfaction for achieving a goal -- are exemplified 100% by Terry's description of the lonely road to the top. I'm glad I took some time to listen to the entire interview.

Reactions: shobart
Great interview!! That "beautiful" word slipped out from Tom's mouth. It seemed like an inside joke that I would have loved to know about. I love them describing Gable as the first maniac. :)
Agree with everything you said...but I think they said first fanatic.... first wrestling fanatic

Reactions: andrewrayhons
Terry said that he knew he was the best prepared wrestler in the world, worked the hardest, and was the toughest mentally...and he still lost. We talk about what it takes to win but what happens when you’ve done everything in your power and have to bounce back from that. This why hands down, Terry is needed on our staff.

I have tried to say this at other points and I have not been able to get my message across clearly, but after this interview, I have decided to try again. I think TnT are being true to themselves and they are giving people the opportunity to be the best they can be. Not everyone is willing to put in the effort and live up to that standard. Not everyone is suited to be a Hawkeye under the Brands bros. TnT seem to realize that and accept it. I am sure they want to win more championships, but I think they also take some satisfaction in knowing that they have taken the people in their program as far as they can go. Sometimes people get hung up on titles and forget that these guys have gone a long way and gotten as much out of their God given ability as they can. That in itself is a success story.
It is like Terry said and AZChief eluded to - he did everything right and trained the hardest etc and still did not make the Olympic team. The results are not always in our hands, just the effort. There is no doubt that TnT create an environment that motivates a certain type of guy to put in the effort to be their best. I am not saying don't strive to be the best or be satisfied with anything but being the best. I am saying that sometimes you can be the best you can possibly be and still not get 1st place. I think TnT are not willing to sacrifice their morals or philosophy to get 1st place. That is a very commendable and admirable quality to have.

I have tried to say this at other points and I have not been able to get my message across clearly, but after this interview, I have decided to try again. I think TnT are being true to themselves and they are giving people the opportunity to be the best they can be. Not everyone is willing to put in the effort and live up to that standard. Not everyone is suited to be a Hawkeye under the Brands bros. TnT seem to realize that and accept it. I am sure they want to win more championships, but I think they also take some satisfaction in knowing that they have taken the people in their program as far as they can go. Sometimes people get hung up on titles and forget that these guys have gone a long way and gotten as much out of their God given ability as they can. That in itself is a success story.
It is like Terry said and AZChief eluded to - he did everything right and trained the hardest etc and still did not make the Olympic team. The results are not always in our hands, just the effort. There is no doubt that TnT create an environment that motivates a certain type of guy to put in the effort to be their best. I am not saying don't strive to be the best or be satisfied with anything but being the best. I am saying that sometimes you can be the best you can possibly be and still not get 1st place. I think TnT are not willing to sacrifice their morals or philosophy to get 1st place. That is a very commendable and admirable quality to have.
Spot on man

This. Fantastic post.

Probably not your first choice for corporate PR positions, but these guys are the real deal. They are honest, genuine guys and I would take that any day.

They will tell you what you need to hear, not necessarily what you want to hear. If you want smooth, Nick Saban is your guy. If you want the truth, the Brands bros are tough to beat.

Reactions: lookleft goright
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT