ADVERTISEMENT

Branstad "disappointed" with DSM Water Board....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Teflon, at his best, palsy head shaking and all today announced his disappointment the the DSM Water folks have decided to sue three counties for polluting the Raccoon River with nitrates. Terry....if you would adequately fund the DNR as opposed to giving away the store to attract outside businesses and placating your political base, this might have been avoided.
Governor...adequately fund the folks responsible for enforcing the rules of air and water pollution for once. This nitrate issue did not occur overnight. When the Waterworks folks asked for your help, you refused to meet with them and provide any type of answer. "Volunteering" doesn't cut the mustard when dealing with a bunch of farmers looking to make every cent they can. Perhaps "most" farmers care....but not all farmers care. And those are the farmers who are the problem.The only thing folks understand nowadays is a hit in their pocketbook. Buena Vista, Calhoun and Sac counties...prepare for the sock. Your governor refuses to take action, so the Iowa Courts will do it for him. (That way Terry and cons out there can "blame" Democrats and trial lawyers for their woes.)
There seems to be some pretty substantive evidence that the source areas of the nitrate pollution have been isolated. The situation has not improved. The "programs" Teflon espouses are several years away from working. Meanwhile, we the good folks of the DSM Waterworks pay excessively high water bills to pay for the extra moneys needed to remove the dangerous nitrate levels from our drinking water. (That cost is about an extra $7k/day.)
Terry, you should have been a LEADER on this issue. The waterworks folks and the County Supervisors looked to you for some l,esadership. You, once again, failed to deliver. Your suggestion of "voluntary" compliance is several years too late. Ofcourse, what should we expect from a spineless governor such as you....your initial suggestion to raise road funds was a "local option" gasoline tax.
Branstad makes me pine for the days on Chet Culver.

Farmers should use strips to clean the water and prevent nutrient and soil loss. Only thing looking them all from using it.....greed.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

After six terms everything he does is on a mandate from the people of Iowa.

Why don't you do some research on this. Only one making money is attorneys and eventually this will get dismissed.

I understand the farmers, how about the city folk and their fertilizer.

Originally posted by rocketclone:
Why don't you do some research on this. Only one making money is attorneys and eventually this will get dismissed.

I understand the farmers, how about the city folk and their fertilizer.
it's both, but the farmers have a much larger share....

I understand but the lawsuit is going nowhere. And the city folk are getting just as bad. A group is wanting the EPA to regulate farmers and DM is paying 250,000 for defense and other outside groups are kicking in too.

The EPA wants nothing to do with sub surface or tile.

I for one would like to see rural Iowans quit going to DM.

Why not sue the farmers?

I understand but the lawsuit is going nowhere. And the city folk are getting just as bad. A group is wanting the EPA to regulate farmers and DM is paying 250,000 for defense and other outside groups are kicking in too.

The EPA wants nothing to do with sub surface or tile.

I for one would like to see rural Iowans quit going to DM.

Why not sue the farmers?
unless they self regulate...Farmers are forcing mandatory regulations upon themselves in the future.

So, Clarinda, how come they didn't sue the farmers?

The state is trying to work through some things?

Why not discontinue ethanol subsidies?

The government is just as much at fault with the programs for ethanol.

So, Clarinda, how come they didn't sue the farmers?

The state is trying to work through some things?

Why not discontinue ethanol subsidies?

The government is just as much at fault with the programs for ethanol.
because ethanol subsidies is a political issue that buyers the bread here in Iowa...short answer, money.

Btw...no one forced farmers to not use filter strips, remove trees and other habitat. Nor did anyone force then to put tons of anhydrous on.

Originally posted by ClarindaA's:
Btw...no one forced farmers to not use filter strips, remove trees and other habitat. Nor did anyone force then to put tons of anhydrous on.
No, but ethanol has driven the markets. They also now take the stalks off the land requiring more nitrogen. Another government program. If they get a chance to make money they are going to. Human nature. You are going to see them pushing corn production all because of a government program.

So, why didn't they sue the farmers?

Should of consulted the folks up in Ames, outstanding water quality there.

No, but ethanol has driven the markets. They also now take the stalks off the land requiring more nitrogen. Another government program. If they get a chance to make money they are going to. Human nature. You are going to see them pushing corn production all because of a government program.

So, why didn't they sue the farmers?
taking stalks of didn't add more nitrogen.

Taking stalks did cause them to use more fertilizer because the natural nutrients are removed.

You didn't answer my question, why not sue the farmer?

Farmers should use strips to clean the water and prevent nutrient and soil loss. Only thing looking them all from using it.....greed.

This should have been the end of the thread.

Healthy waterways are literally good for everyone and everything and really dont effect the farmers bottom line very much. Especially since most of it would qualify for for some sort of federal assistance thru FSA or NRCS.

Dr. Roger McKoewn (sp) , Ag Law guru from ISU was on radio yesterday talking about this.

DSM Water Board does not have a case they can win. Really a frivolous case that is being done for reasons of publicity. All they can do is raise public awareness about the water quality situation. In that, they have succeeded.

EPA wants nothing to do with this issue. It is clearly a state matter and not federal. EPA has recently attempted to regulate farm dust and stream flows and prominent senators and congressional AG Committee members quickly smacked them across the nose.

The farm lobby carries a big stick in Iowa and the Midwest. That's not going to change.

So when do the three counties 'below' Des Moines file against them for all their concrete and salt?

Taking stalks did cause them to use more fertilizer because the natural nutrients are removed.

reverse class action? Too many guilty parties.

Originally posted by ClarindaA\:
Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Meh

health decaying due to poor water isn't a meh moment

Of course it's a "meh" issue. I will die at a young age from either police or fried chicken......

Enjoy your retirement years, blacks (if they live long enough) don't have 401k. Racially biased!

Meh

Of course it's a "meh" issue. I will die at a young age from either police or fried chicken......

Enjoy your retirement years, blacks (if they live long enough) don't have 401k. Racially biased!

the white is strong in you..after all, you're being a good father....let it guide your finances as well.

Or maybe from a political standpoint they didn't want to work folks up.

There are lots of variables to the clean water and the farmers are only a piece of the puzzle.

There are lots of variables to the clean water and the farmers are only a piece of the puzzle.
They're the largest piece of the puzzle. Had farmers not tiled as much as they have over the last ten years or so this would not be happening.

Meh

the white is strong in you..after all, you're being a good father....let it guide your finances as well.

I'm the minority in the minority in that I have a 401k, mutual funds, and great credit scores. I don't know what everyone else is doing....

I'm planning on starting my own consulting business in about 25 years. After I've done that about 5 years, I will retire, and pick and choose what jobs I want to take. Swag has plans, to run all of this...

Originally posted by Kelsers:

They're the largest piece of the puzzle. Had farmers not tiled as much as they have over the last ten years or so this would not be happening.
exactly...more like lawn care and cities are a small piece of the puzzle.

INX......The EPA wouldn't want to get involved...but the DNR (of Iowa) certainly would. At the moment, it is a "state" matter....however, the pollution and silt is a problem all the way to the Gulf.
Teflon refuses to adequately fund the DNR and makes their assigned work almost impossible to do. It has always been this way with Terry in control.
This suit is a cry for "help" and you're probably correct....it won't be won by the Water Board. But dammit......how much longer do I as a resident of Polk County/DSM Water have to pay for the greed and ignorance of farmers 100 miles north of me? Farmers claim to be "stewards of the land"........I suggest they start acting more responsibly. ALL of them. They get every damn thing else they want, as long as Teflon and the Farm Bureau are in charge......maybe they should pay the cost of polluting my water?

They are getting a ton of money from the feds to try and work through this so the money thing is not true.

They are getting a ton of money from the feds to try and work through this so the money thing is not true.
clarify that for me. Also, if you could make extra money by damaging the environment..would you do it? Too what extent? Also, supply and demand has ratfvcked the greedy dudes, thankfully. The are guys who have stopped rising crops, just going with corn....I hope they lose their asses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT