ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News - Judge dismisses some charges against Trump in the Georgia 2020 election interference case!!!

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
The judge overseeing the Georgia 2020 election interference case on Wednesday dismissed some of the charges against former President Donald Trump and others, but many counts in the sweeping racketeering indictment remain intact.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee wrote in an order that six of the counts in the indictment must be quashed, including three against Trump, the presumptive 2024 Republican presidential nominee.

The ruling is a blow for Fulton County District Attorney Fanny Willis, whose case has already been on shaky ground with an effort to have her removed from the prosecution over her romantic relationship with a colleague. It’s the first time charges in any of Trump's four criminal cases have been dismissed, with the judge saying prosecutors failed to provide enough detail about the alleged crime.

The six charges in question have to do with soliciting elected officials to violate their oaths of office. That includes two charges related to the phone call Trump made to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a fellow Republican, on Jan. 2, 2021.

“All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have,” Trump said during that call
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/da-fani-willis-ruling-could-come-this-week/vi-BB1jIjkN

The ruling comes as McAfee is considering a bid to have Willis disqualified from the case over what defense attorneys have alleged is a conflict of interest due to her romantic relationship with special prosecutor Nathan Wade. Willis, who has said their relationship ended months ago, has said there is no conflict of interest and no reason to remove her from the case.

Other defendants include former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows; Trump attorney and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani; and a Trump administration Justice Department official, Jeffrey Clark, who aided the then-president’s efforts to undo his election loss in Georgia. They have pleaded not guilty.

McAfee’s order leaves Meadows facing only a RICO charge. Jim Durham, a lawyer for Meadows, declined to comment.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
The ruling is a win for Trump and several of his co-defendants, who filed to dismiss the counts on the grounds that they were legally deficient.

Judge McAfee essentially agreed, writing that they "fail to allege sufficient detail regarding the nature of their commission." He said the "lack of detail concerning an essential legal element" is "fatal."

I think this must be McAfee's way of softening the blow to the MAGAts when he rules in the coming days that Willis didn't do anything and leaves her on the case.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I think this must be McAfee's way of softening the blow to the MAGAts when he rules in the coming days that Willis didn't do anything and leaves her on the case.
"The Court made the correct legal decision to grant the special demurrers and quash important counts of the indictment brought by DA Fani Willis," Trump attorney Steve Sadow said in a statement. "The ruling is a correct application of the law, as the prosecution failed to make specific allegations of any alleged wrongdoing on those counts."

The Fulton County district attorney's office declined to comment to ABC News.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
It's all coming unraveled for Fanny Willis and her ilk.

In their rush to concoct a phony case against President Trump they just committed error after error.
Can't really say that, because if he is looking as the basis for the charges any only dismissed a few, that leaves a lot of charges Trump and his ilk will have to answer for.

Well, some of the charges were bound to be dismissed. I'm not sure how calling up a government official from another state and then asking him to "find 11,700" votes isn't asking him to violate his oath of office, but whatever. There are plenty of other things for him to get found guilty for.

It's all coming unraveled for Fanny Willis and her ilk.

In their rush to concoct a phony case against President Trump they just committed error after error.
No, Trump tried to coerce election officials into doing something illegal. The fact that prosecutors piled on other charges doesn't mean Trump is innocent. Fani's ethical problems also don't mean Trump is innocent as they have nothing to do with the facts of his cases.

Well, some of the charges were bound to be dismissed. I'm not sure how calling up a government official from another state and then asking him to "find 11,700" votes isn't asking him to violate his oath of office, but whatever. There are plenty of other things for him to get found guilty for.
That must be covered under the "Locker Room Talk" umbrella. Or possibly, "I was joking, like I am when I get names wrong."

He didn't say "create" 11,700 votes. He said to find 11,700 which means recounts, and looking for any missed ballot boxes at polling locations.

CNN legal analyst Elie Honig criticized Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis (D) after a judge overseeing former President Trump’s election interference case in Georgia threw out some charges against him.

“I don’t think this ruling changes the type of evidence that the DA’s going to be able to introduce, but it does knock out some of the charges and look, it’s embarrassing for prosecutors,” Honig said Wednesday on CNN. “It’s a screwup by prosecutors when you bring a charge and then a judge throws it out before it even goes to trial.”

Reactions: KFsdisciple
CNN legal analyst Elie Honig criticized Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis (D) after a judge overseeing former President Trump’s election interference case in Georgia threw out some charges against him.

“I don’t think this ruling changes the type of evidence that the DA’s going to be able to introduce, but it does knock out some of the charges and look, it’s embarrassing for prosecutors,” Honig said Wednesday on CNN. “It’s a screwup by prosecutors when you bring a charge and then a judge throws it out before it even goes to trial.”

Fanny Willis is a screwup - She is going to be barred from the case and Trump may end up filing a lawsuit against her and Fulton County.

If anything, Fanny and most of her staff will be terminated. She will probably turn up as a legal analyst at CNN or MSNBC or some other far left wacko alleged news outlet.

Nothing going happen to Fani. She is a protected swamp creature

We'll see,.. I think the biggest potential weakness, should Willis be removed, might be the reluctance of another prosecutor to want to continue down the RICO path that Fani created...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT