ADVERTISEMENT

Brett Greenwood

Greenwood and Sash on safety patrol at Iowa. Those were good years. God bless them both.
Incredibly sad. If I remember correctly:

* Sash died of an overdose of oxycotin (or pain pills) & alcohol

* Even though Greenwood received CPR when he collapsed, the lack of oxygen to his brain caused his life altering condition

Teammates continuing to stick together and support their guy. What a life altering event for Brett, but he stays in good spirits. Hope someday he can overcome this more fully. Keep on keepin on Brett!
Teammates at Iowa and in life, but all 3 played at rival high schools; Bettendorf, Pleasant Valley, and Davenport Assumption. Can’t wait to see him walk onto the field again. Should take a longer break at the end of the first quarter and have him lead ‘The Wave’. Then recognize him again at half.

Is Brett able to speak?

I could be off but I am pretty sure the answer is no and he isnt likely to speak. Will probably keep fighting though.

@Blair Sanderson I almost can't type on this new format with my phone. Everytime I have to delete a word my keyboard goes away. I typed a different message, hit reply and something I didn't even type was posted. Any ideas?

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I could be off but I am pretty sure the answer is no and he isnt likely to speak. Will probably keep fighting though.

@Blair Sanderson I almost can't type on this new format with my phone. Everytime I have to delete a word my keyboard goes away. I typed a different message, hit reply and something I didn't even type was posted. Any ideas?
i agree with you in that the format is not user friendly on smart phones; i have had the same issues that you describe

on desk tops it is fine, however

Is Brett able to speak?
I remember his parents saying before the injury that he would say very little, typically replying in just a word or two.

After, said they practically couldn't get him to shut up. Said this, of course, in a positive way.

This was the ESPN story from Sep 9, 2011.

Hard to believe this was almost 13 years ago, when Brett was just 23 years old.

He was one of the final cuts of the Pittsburgh Steelers, too.

Brett Greenwood in intensive care

i

Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Senior Writer
Sep 9, 2011, 08:25 PM ET

Former Iowa safety Brett Greenwood is in an Iowa hospital after he collapsed Friday afternoon during a workout.

A spokeswoman for Trinity Medical Center in Bettendorf says Greenwood was taken there in critical condition Friday. He's since been transferred to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City where he is listed in stable condition.

The Quad-City Times in Davenport reported Greenwood collapsed while working out at Pleasant Valley High School in Bettendorf. Athletic director Randy Teymer told the newspaper that school medical personnel administered to him before he was taken by ambulance to Trinity Medical Center.

A three-year starter for the Hawkeyes, Greenwood, 23, signed a free-agent contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers but was released last week. He earned second-team All-Big Ten honors in each of his last two seasons with Iowa.

Former Iowa safety Tyler Sash, who started alongside Greenwood, tweeted Friday night: "My prayers are with #BrettGreenwood he is alive and on his way to IC. He has overcome every challenge throughout his life. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Most people only knew the football player; I was blessed to know the person as well."

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reactions: Moral
The picture in that video of Brett and Tyler Sash brings back a lot of good memories and sad ones.

Remember this story from 8 years ago?

Tyler Sash CTE level 'had advanced to stage rarely seen' at age 27

i

Dan Graziano, Senior NFL National Reporter
Jan 26, 2016, 08:31 PM ET

Former New York Giants safety Tyler Sash was found to have an extraordinarily high level of CTE when he died in September at age 27, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Sash died from an accidental overdose of painkillers, and his family donated his brain to be studied for chronic traumatic encephalopathy. The Times reports that "representatives from Boston University and the Concussion Legacy Foundation notified the Sash family that CTE had been diagnosed in Tyler's brain and that the disease, which can only be confirmed only posthumously, had advanced to a stage rarely seen in someone his age."

i

Tyler Sash suffered from "confusion, memory loss and minor fits of temper" that affected his ability to find meaningful employment after being released by the Giants in 2013, The New York Times reports. Jason Bridge/USA TODAY Sports

The CTE scale rates severity from 0 to 4. Sash had progressed to Stage 2, about the same stage Junior Seau was at when he committed suicide at age 43, the Times reports.

Chris Nowinski of the Concussion Legacy Foundation confirmed the CTE diagnosis to The Associated Press on Tuesday night.

The Times reports that Sash dealt with "confusion, memory loss and minor fits of temper" that affected his ability to find meaningful employment after he was released by the Giants in 2013.

Sash's mother told the Times that the finding of a high level of CTE helps explain the behavior she says she didn't recognize in her son.

"Now it makes sense," Barnetta Sash told the Times. "The part of the brain that controls impulses, decision-making and reasoning was damaged badly."

Sash suffered multiple concussions during his two-year career with the Giants, in which he played in 23 games over the 2011 and '12 seasons. Months after the Giants' Super Bowl victory, Sash was suspended for four games in 2012 for violating the NFL's performance-enhancing substances policy by testing positive for Adderall, a stimulant used primarily to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and the sleep disorder narcolepsy.

He was released during final roster cuts just before the start of the 2013 season. The Giants reached an injury settlement with him after he suffered a concussion in the preseason finale against New England.

Sash's brother told the Times that Sash also had two concussions in high school and one in college while he played for Iowa.

CTE has been found in the brains of dozens of former football players. Linked to repeated brain trauma, it is associated with symptoms such as memory loss, impaired judgment, depression and, eventually, progressive dementia.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT