ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz to Maryland as "Senior Offensive Assistant"

Sad Freddie Mercury GIF by Queen
Pretty much.

Way better gig than I thought he would get. I wonder if he’s going to take that >90% pay cut and move to where cost of living is 3x what he’s used to or if he can do his made-up job in Iowa? (Actually, staying away may be part of the agreement).

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Brian will do fine in his future coaching endeavors. He just did not have the inherited ability to be an offensive coordinator He did fine coaching lineman, and must have ability as was the tight end coach for the Patriots in the Super Bowl run
Kirk and Brian OC promotion was the perfect definition of the Peter Principle. BF’s career step back was Kirk’s fault but BF benefitted with a handsome comp package that will allow him to retrench his coaching career without financial hardship. Wouldn’t we all like this program. Oh well.

Obviously, Brian was a terrible OC and had no business coaching quarterbacks.

With that said, this gig is definitely beneath him. He is still a good OL coach regardless of his failings as OC.

I know this would never happen, but if the OL continues to falter this year and Kirk does the right thing and sends Barnett packing, I would be perfectly fine with bringing Brian back to coach the OL.

With that said, this gig is definitely beneath him. He is still a good OL coach regardless of his failings as OC.

I know this would never happen, but if the OL continues to falter this year and Kirk does the right thing and sends Barnett packing, I would be perfectly fine with bringing Brian back to coach the OL.

Heck. I would have been fine if they would have kept him on board as the o line coach this year.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Agreed. I don't want him anywhere near the program.
And it's not like I hate him personally, he wasn't let go because he did anything illegal or even unethical. The program just has nothing to gain by bringing him back.

Can't wait for a few years from now when people start calling for him to replace his dad, though.

Way better gig than I thought he would get. I wonder if he’s going to take that >90% pay cut and move to where cost of living is 3x what he’s used to or if he can do his made-up job in Iowa? (Actually, staying away may be part of the agreement).
Well the good news is I have heard Brian has been making calls about low income housing in the Maryland area

Dude, no. He’s a fvcking cancer and has no business ever representing the Black and Gold ever again. Acting like a petulant child after Beth told him to start packing is just one example of MANY. He’s not a good person, and definitely needs to figure life out without daddy pulling strings for him.

Dude, no. He’s a fvcking cancer and has no business ever representing the Black and Gold ever again. Acting like a petulant child after Beth told him to start packing is just one example of MANY. He’s not a good person, and definitely needs to figure life out without daddy pulling strings for him.
I can’t argue with any of that.

Heck. I would have been fine if they would have kept him on board as the o line coach this year.
You guys are crazy. Maybe BF will be given a chance and turn out to be a serviceable OL or TE coach again someday (doubt it, but maybe), but he needs to be kept away from the program for eternity. Just too much baggage.

BF was a decent OL coach. But no way should he come back to Iowa. Way to much baggage. That same baggage isn't there at other programs (NFL or College).

As far as Marlands success next year. He's just an advisor to the coaches there. There success or failures, he will be extremely low on the list of blame or given credit for. He's there to start his career that's in the toilet over.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
And it's not like I hate him personally, he wasn't let go because he did anything illegal or even unethical. The program just has nothing to gain by bringing him back.

Can't wait for a few years from now when people start calling for him to replace his dad, though.
He was let go because he sucked at his job ever since he was hired as OC. And if any Hawk fan calls for BF to replace his dad as HC, then those fans don't know anything about football.

Wish him the best. He was in over his head as an offensive coordinator at a P5 school. His pop did him no favors. Maybe he thought he could just plug Brian in, do the same thing they'd been doing for years and it would all be fine. Turns out being an offensive coordinator at a P5 school is really, really hard. (I also think the long term plan was for Brian to take over as head coach, but the best laid plans . . .)

Reactions: Sexican
1) It dispels the notion that he will only get hired by his dad or one of his dad's cronies, thus it shows Brian knows a thing or two about college football.
I don't think it dispels anything. This is a low-as-you-can-go, made-up position that someone gets when his coaching career hits rock-bottom, and he's willing to work for peanuts just to keep a football-related job on his resume. I seriously doubt anyone on the Maryland coaching staff is the least bit impressed with his coaching prowess. This is one of those "well, I guess we could use another warm body to cue-up film for the important people who need to review it." My guess is that he was the first applicant and the position wasn't important enough for them to conduct a bunch of interviews.

Now, if he is ever again hired as a position coach at the NFL or P-5 level, by someone outside of KF's circle, then I would consider that to be a small amount of redemption for him (I won't be holding my breath).

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I doubt he moves to Maryland. Frank Verducci is an analyst for Nebraska and he still lives in IC. I see him frequently around the East Side of IC. Most of this kind of work can be done via zoom or evaluating video and putting some stuff together. He'll look for a job that requires uprooting his family next year.
The $60,000 I've seen in this thread is undoubtedly too low. I've heard $125,000-150,000 for this level of work. Alabama, tOSU, and a few of the heavyweights have high paid analysts, but this just keeps Brian active in the work force, and preps him for next year when he looks for a full time coaching job.

Reactions: hawkdave007
I doubt he moves to Maryland. Frank Verducci is an analyst for Nebraska and he still lives in IC. I see him frequently around the East Side of IC. Most of this kind of work can be done via zoom or evaluating video and putting some stuff together. He'll look for a job that requires uprooting his family next year.
The $60,000 I've seen in this thread is undoubtedly too low. I've heard $125,000-150,000 for this level of work. Alabama, tOSU, and a few of the heavyweights have high paid analysts, but this just keeps Brian active in the work force, and preps him for next year when he looks for a full time coaching job.
Ahhhhhh........................ so he is on a spy mission in IC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT