ADVERTISEMENT

Does Kirk Have An Issue With Black Coaches?

Is anyone surprised that OP is a race-baiter? This take might actually be worse than his Sam Laporta take. Wasn't sure a person could get it any more wrong than that.

We are all victims. Without a recent NCAA Football release by EA Sports, how are we supposed to build our resumes and demonstrate our abilities to compete in the modern era?
I've been waiting for this game for a long time. I wonder how they will rate the O.

Its pretty clear that the OP is a racist. Doesn't take much to figure that out. Should be kicked off the site for being that stupid

Not a lawyer and don't play one on the TV, slander, character assassination? Is OP one?

Kirk's coaching tree over the past 25 years is as thin as the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I'm not sure football has seen anything quite like it. Coaching is a big $ business and most coaches are ambitious guys wanting to reach the top.

While Hayden Fry's staff produced 8 - 10 head coaches, including some Hall of Famers, Kirk's staffs have produced a guy currently working at Culvers, several unemployed former coaches, and a series of "yes" men with no ambition to grow their careers.

Now take a look at the internal pecking order / chain of promotions within the program. Do the best coaches typically to move up? What goes into the decisions to promote?

In evaluating, consider Kirk's admitted "blind eye" toward the racial discrimination situation that rocked the program and led to the firing of his strength coach/best friend. Then consider how the investigation called Kirk out for virtually never appointing black players to the team's "leadership counsel." Did he believe black players were not leaders? With that as foundation, take a look at Kirk's coaching personnel decisions over the years (i.e. who he's promoted and who he's kept on staff despite their failures). It makes you wonder whether black coaches at Iowa are given the same opportunity for advancement as the white coaches.

Take the career paths of Brian Ferentz, Seth Wallace, and LeVar Woods as an example:

Woods. 2008 - retired from the NFL. Immediately came back to work at Iowa. Put in 4 years. In 2012, was elevated to position coach, where he excelled. He's now been in the program 16 years but has yet to receive a promotion. He remains a low level position coach despite coaching some of the best special teams units Iowa has ever had.

Wallace. 2014 - after working at a DIII school in Georgia for a few years while somehow developing no recruiting pipeline there, he was hired as a position coach at Iowa. Just 3 years later, Kirk named him assistant defensive coordinator. He was then named in a racial discrimination lawsuit. In 2023, he was once again promoted to some fake title like assistant head coach, and is now paid DOUBLE what Woods is paid despite not even being a coordinator.

Ferentz. 2012 - came to Iowa at the same time Woods became special teams coach. Because Kirk didn't have a spot for him, Kirk chose to toss aside Iowa's legendary OL coach Reece Morgan (and forced him to switch to DLine coach) to make room for inexperienced Brian. With Brian at the helm, the OL immediately saw a drop off. It was about then that Iowa lost its "bullies of the Big 10" status and its run game suffered. Three years later, Kirk promoted Brian to "running game coordinator," a fake title never used before to help justify a future promotion to OC. The run game under Brian was below average for a Big 10 team. Despite that, just one year after being promoted to run game coordinator, Brian was promotion again to offensive coordinator. He received a doubling of his salary despite having never called a play in his life and Kirk not interviewing another soul for the position. Brian was then named in a racial discrimination lawsuit where clear evidence of wrongdoing was presented. Instead of being fired, Brian was rewarded the following year with his 4th promotion, this time taking on QBs coach duties...a position he admitted he knew nothing about.

One of the above is black. The other two are white. Would it be fair to say the white coaches quickly received promotions while the black coach did not? If so, can you reasonably argue that merit was the basis for the coaching decisions?

Removing Brian from the equation, let's now look at Iowa's worst performing coaches over the past 5 years. WR coach, OL coach, and "QB guru/analyst." Correct? I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. One of the 3 is black, the other two are white. How were they treated? The black got unceremoniously fired. The other two failed coaches have been routinely lavished with praise by Kirk. While firing the WR coach was warranted, it leads the question...how do you fire the WR coach but keep the underperforming OL coach (who had far more talent and experience to work with yet was clearly the weak link on staff)? More perplexing, how do you not only keep, but promote & double the salary of the "QB guru" who was oversaw Petras' senior year and Deacon Hill? Kirk promoted him to WR coach despite never coaching the position or having any track record of improving position group performance.

Iowa already had the whitest, small-town coaching staff in the Power 5. Check out the makeup of the other coaching staffs in the Big 10 and you'll see. Blame it on demographics, fine. Yet when Iowa's OC position opened up this fall, Kirk didn't bother to interview a black candidate. When the WR coach position opened up (a position where 95% of the players are black), not a single black coach was interviewed. Maybe that's a coincidence? Maybe Kirk has never had a black coordinator in his coaching career?

By using the offseason to: (i) replace two outgoing coaches with white guys; (ii) limiting internal promotions to white guys only; and (iii) keeping the underperforming white coaches on staff while firing the black one, is Kirk showing his true colors?
Why in your rant didn’t you actually talk about the coaches of color KF has hired?

I find it completely ignorant to rant about KF having a “blind spot” to coaches of color and trim around and refuse to acknowledge how many coaches of color KF has hired.

But you do you.

Reactions: Ferentz_Fan
which culver's location or is it the head office. I wanna go by and order, have him serve me in the drive thru

I hate race baiting like this but I'll die on the hill that Copeland was a scapegoat. We just hired a guy with no experience coaching WRs and is terrible at developing QBs. Wisconsin didn't want him back and here he is.
Was it Lestikow or Doctherman that did the deep dive on the roster turnover at WR? It's been bad for awhile, but while Copeland was WR coach, only 5 who came to the program as freshmen actually graduated at Iowa.
We don't know that Brian was unqualified to coach the QB's. Coaches bounce around to different position groups all the time.
Position coaches will move around from time to time yes. A bit unusual to see an coordinator also coach a position that he's neither coached at nor played before.

Making BF the OC/QB coach was a gamble that blew up in Kirk's face. Frankly, they should have hired a new QB coach and kept BF as the OC/OL coach.

And yes, he's making a similar gamble with Budmayr at WR coach, but that's a little more defensible with the overlap/work you have to do as a QB/QB coach and the WR position. Fingers-crossed.

Was it Lestikow or Doctherman that did the deep dive on the roster turnover at WR? It's been bad for awhile, but while Copeland was WR coach, only 5 who came to the program as freshmen actually graduated at Iowa.
I wasn't aware of the numbers but that is really bad. My question that we will never have answered is did they leave because they didn't feel they were being developed, because the wr position wasn't valued in the offense, a combo, or something else?

If I'm a wr from outside the state and I saw how the guys in front of me were utilized, I'd leave regardless of coach. You would think they would know scheme coming in but for years we have heard how the offense would look different.

Kirk's coaching tree over the past 25 years is as thin as the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I'm not sure football has seen anything quite like it. Coaching is a big $ business and most coaches are ambitious guys wanting to reach the top.

While Hayden Fry's staff produced 8 - 10 head coaches, including some Hall of Famers, Kirk's staffs have produced a guy currently working at Culvers, several unemployed former coaches, and a series of "yes" men with no ambition to grow their careers.

Now take a look at the internal pecking order / chain of promotions within the program. Do the best coaches typically to move up? What goes into the decisions to promote?

In evaluating, consider Kirk's admitted "blind eye" toward the racial discrimination situation that rocked the program and led to the firing of his strength coach/best friend. Then consider how the investigation called Kirk out for virtually never appointing black players to the team's "leadership counsel." Did he believe black players were not leaders? With that as foundation, take a look at Kirk's coaching personnel decisions over the years (i.e. who he's promoted and who he's kept on staff despite their failures). It makes you wonder whether black coaches at Iowa are given the same opportunity for advancement as the white coaches.

Take the career paths of Brian Ferentz, Seth Wallace, and LeVar Woods as an example:

Woods. 2008 - retired from the NFL. Immediately came back to work at Iowa. Put in 4 years. In 2012, was elevated to position coach, where he excelled. He's now been in the program 16 years but has yet to receive a promotion. He remains a low level position coach despite coaching some of the best special teams units Iowa has ever had.

Wallace. 2014 - after working at a DIII school in Georgia for a few years while somehow developing no recruiting pipeline there, he was hired as a position coach at Iowa. Just 3 years later, Kirk named him assistant defensive coordinator. He was then named in a racial discrimination lawsuit. In 2023, he was once again promoted to some fake title like assistant head coach, and is now paid DOUBLE what Woods is paid despite not even being a coordinator.

Ferentz. 2012 - came to Iowa at the same time Woods became special teams coach. Because Kirk didn't have a spot for him, Kirk chose to toss aside Iowa's legendary OL coach Reece Morgan (and forced him to switch to DLine coach) to make room for inexperienced Brian. With Brian at the helm, the OL immediately saw a drop off. It was about then that Iowa lost its "bullies of the Big 10" status and its run game suffered. Three years later, Kirk promoted Brian to "running game coordinator," a fake title never used before to help justify a future promotion to OC. The run game under Brian was below average for a Big 10 team. Despite that, just one year after being promoted to run game coordinator, Brian was promotion again to offensive coordinator. He received a doubling of his salary despite having never called a play in his life and Kirk not interviewing another soul for the position. Brian was then named in a racial discrimination lawsuit where clear evidence of wrongdoing was presented. Instead of being fired, Brian was rewarded the following year with his 4th promotion, this time taking on QBs coach duties...a position he admitted he knew nothing about.

One of the above is black. The other two are white. Would it be fair to say the white coaches quickly received promotions while the black coach did not? If so, can you reasonably argue that merit was the basis for the coaching decisions?

Removing Brian from the equation, let's now look at Iowa's worst performing coaches over the past 5 years. WR coach, OL coach, and "QB guru/analyst." Correct? I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. One of the 3 is black, the other two are white. How were they treated? The black got unceremoniously fired. The other two failed coaches have been routinely lavished with praise by Kirk. While firing the WR coach was warranted, it leads the question...how do you fire the WR coach but keep the underperforming OL coach (who had far more talent and experience to work with yet was clearly the weak link on staff)? More perplexing, how do you not only keep, but promote & double the salary of the "QB guru" who was oversaw Petras' senior year and Deacon Hill? Kirk promoted him to WR coach despite never coaching the position or having any track record of improving position group performance.

Iowa already had the whitest, small-town coaching staff in the Power 5. Check out the makeup of the other coaching staffs in the Big 10 and you'll see. Blame it on demographics, fine. Yet when Iowa's OC position opened up this fall, Kirk didn't bother to interview a black candidate. When the WR coach position opened up (a position where 95% of the players are black), not a single black coach was interviewed. Maybe that's a coincidence? Maybe Kirk has never had a black coordinator in his coaching career?

By using the offseason to: (i) replace two outgoing coaches with white guys; (ii) limiting internal promotions to white guys only; and (iii) keeping the underperforming white coaches on staff while firing the black one, is Kirk showing his true colors?

Reactions: Madman_1
I've seen a lot of ignorant responses to the OP from small town Iowans who have never even met a black person, but I've yet to see anyone attempt to respond to its simple premise. If Kirk is an equal opportunity boss, please provide a plausible explanation for:

-Firing of Copeland but raises for Budmayr & Barnett.
-Promoting Seth Wallace over and over again while keeping Woods exactly where he's been.
-Promoting Brian Ferentz over and over again while keeping every black coach exactly where they've been.
-Promoting Budmayr to WR coach over dozens of more qualified candidates who would have jumped at the offer.
-Kirk never having a black coordinator in 26 years at Iowa.
-Kirk having 1 black QB in 26 years at Iowa.
-The University paid $4,000,000 in settling a racial discrimination lawsuit under Kirk.

To the hicks...if you don't at least question things that clearly don't add up, maybe message boards aren't for you.

I've seen a lot of ignorant responses to the OP from small town Iowans who have never even met a black person, but I've yet to see anyone attempt to respond to its simple premise. If Kirk is an equal opportunity boss, please provide a plausible explanation for:

-Promoting Seth Wallace over and over again while keeping Woods exactly where he's been.
-Promoting Brian Ferentz over and over again while keeping every black coach exactly where they've been.
-Promoting Budmayr to WR coach over dozens of more qualified candidates who would have jumped at the offer.
-The University paid $4,000,000 in settling a racial discrimination lawsuit under Kirk.

To the hicks...if you don't at least question things that clearly don't add up, maybe message boards aren't for you.
Edge much? Why do you need validation since you think you have it all figured out? You have folks on here vouching for the man at the expense of their good screen name. You got this, stud.

There are 4 coordinators at Iowa. Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, and Strength and Conditioning Coordinator. Two of them are black and two of them are white.

There are 7 positional coaches (LB, DL, Asst DL, OL, RB, WR, TE). Three of them are black and four of them are white.

I do agree that the optics of releasing a black positional coach and replacing him with a white coach don't look so great. But it's not this great whitewashing like you're making it out to be.

He’s never once said anything positive about Kirk…ever.

There are 4 coordinators at Iowa. Offensive Coordinator, Defensive Coordinator, Special Teams Coordinator, and Strength and Conditioning Coordinator. Two of them are black and two of them are white.

There are 7 positional coaches (LB, DL, Asst DL, OL, RB, WR, TE). Three of them are black and four of them are white.

I do agree that the optics of releasing a black positional coach and replacing him with a white coach don't look so great. But it's not this great whitewashing like you're making it out to be.
This dude is bringing up that he's only had 1 black QB, lol.

Maybe they'll share after you share your definition, boy.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Where one is coming from and how they define it is key. In this discussion then, does KF marginalize players at certain positions and coaches at certain levels?

If one's definition is that KF is equal to KKK, then the answer would be decidedly no.

Being marginalized, a case could be made for at least discussion.

Did KF have staff that could be considered racist? Depends on the definition. Mild marginalization could be no room for expression of cultures such as beads, braids, and long neck chains as an example by being pressured even if tacit to conform. Different punishments for different races may raise the level. Some of the comments leaked out could indicate KF's tolerance for coaches having freedoms to some extent to pressure and/or say things that are meant to diminish.

Every program has their tolerance levels. MSU fans excuse the BB coach. PSU fans excuse Paterno as to not knowing or not doing it himself. Whether or not we have gone to far the other way depends in part on who is being accused and who the accuser is and how that fits our narrative.

On the other board, there was massive support for what the police did to Faith E. Certainly police discrimination in that situation. Discrimination is a form of racism. Was it KKK level, certainly not. Those cops had their hands on their guns. Would have been very intimidating for Faith.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Where one is coming from and how they define it is key. In this discussion then, does KF marginalize players at certain positions and coaches at certain levels?

If one's definition is that KF is equal to KKK, then the answer would be decidedly no.

Being marginalized, a case could be made for at least discussion.

Did KF have staff that could be considered racist? Depends on the definition. Mild marginalization could be no room for expression of cultures such as beads, braids, and long neck chains as an example by being pressured even if tacit to conform. Different punishments for different races may raise the level. Some of the comments leaked out could indicate KF's tolerance for coaches having freedoms to some extent to pressure and/or say things that are meant to diminish.

Every program has their tolerance levels. MSU fans excuse the BB coach. PSU fans excuse Paterno as to not knowing or not doing it himself. Whether or not we have gone to far the other way depends in part on who is being accused and who the accuser is and how that fits our narrative.

On the other board, there was massive support for what the police did to Faith E. Certainly police discrimination in that situation. Discrimination is a form of racism. Was it KKK level, certainly not. Those cops had their hands on their guns. Would have been very intimidating for Faith.
I didn't read your long ass post bro, you lost me when it looks like you plagiarized YOUR definition.

You do leave out that the 2 MAIN coordinators are both white and there were opportunities to bring in a Black OC. Not of this along signals anything. The STC definitely was raised in middle class Iowa culture. You also have to look at how he was treated in terms of pay increases. I admit to not knowing the salary structure for the positional coaches.

You still have to explain no black QBs since Banks, is arguably the best QB ever at Iowa. Others would point to why didn't KF figure out a way to put Hock and Fant on the field at the same time. People will disagree on the meaning but I would guess that Blacks and White would have different opinions on what the meaning was.

A former Soviet officer once reminded me, History Belongs to the Victor. Put another way, Iowa's dominant race gets to define the definition.

You do leave out that the 2 MAIN coordinators are both white and there were opportunities to bring in a Black OC. Not of this along signals anything. The STC definitely was raised in middle class Iowa culture. You also have to look at how he was treated in terms of pay increases. I admit to not knowing the salary structure for the positional coaches.

You still have to explain no black QBs since Banks, is arguably the best QB ever at Iowa. Others would point to why didn't KF figure out a way to put Hock and Fant on the field at the same time. People will disagree on the meaning but I would guess that Blacks and White would have different opinions on what the meaning was.

A former Soviet officer once reminded me, History Belongs to the Victor. Put another way, Iowa's dominant race gets to define the definition.
If nothing else - Kirk has ALWAYS treated the Strength & Conditioning as equal to that of Offense or Defense (ST Coordinator is relatively new). And he's always placed a premium on excellent ST play.

Denigrating either of them because you don't perceive them as equal to the "Main" coordinators is an incorrect and insulting statement to them frankly.

And yes, we've had other black quarterbacks - not many true, but also an inaccurate statement to say Banks was 1 of 1. Fant and Hock did often play together; 12 personnel was our most common package while they were here.

If nothing else - Kirk has ALWAYS treated the Strength & Conditioning as equal to that of Offense or Defense (ST Coordinator is relatively new). And he's always placed a premium on excellent ST play.

Denigrating either of them because you don't perceive them as equal to the "Main" coordinators is an incorrect and insulting statement to them frankly.

And yes, we've had other black quarterbacks - not many true, but also an inaccurate statement to say Banks was 1 of 1. Fant and Hock did often play together; 12 personnel was our most common package while they were here.
Per Fant...no. Banks was the only starter. Can't sugar coat it to your narrative. You are white. History belongs to the victor. Blacks likely won't see your white point of view. Fant Didn't start much.

Is anyone surprised that OP is a race-baiter? This take might actually be worse than his Sam Laporta take. Wasn't sure a person could get it any more wrong than that.

We did. My argument can certainly be viewed from another perspective and I understand that.

1- it's really hard to get wrs to come here when you are the 3rd or 4th option getting the ball... and that is if you are the #1 receiver. RBs and TEs will out touch you for sure.

2- QB play has been horrendous. I grew up always hearing if the ball hits you in the hands, you should catch it. While I still belive that to a good extent, wrs are trying to catch balls behind them, too high, in traffic, way too hard or not in a tight spiral (Deacon).

3- O line play has been horrendous. No time to get open on deep routes.

4- The offense and route trees are really bad. People know we look to one side of the field. People know we look through 2 or a max of 3 progressions. Also, back to point 1, you aren't getting the ball more than a handful of times a game... if lucky.

5- we have had good wrs: Jones, ISM, Smith, Johnson that were all pretty good. Two in the league, one really underutilized. The problem is they get into the system and leave. Recruiting is a huge problem. Brown is about as elite as we will ever get.
QB play has been horrendous. When Iowa has had decent QBs, the offense has been decent. Banks, Tate, Stanzi and Beathard. When QB play is poor, Iowa offense is poor. O-line plays a huge part too.
Jimmys and the Joes are #1. Coaching a distant second for the offensive problems.

You have no idea what coaching offers have been made to Lavar Woods. You have no idea if he has turned down offers or if he is comfortable doing what he is doing. You also have no idea the relationship that Lavar Woods has with Coach Ferentz. I personally know what that relationship is and what Lavar thinks of Coach Ferentz. If you made the racist comment about Ferentz to Lavar Woods in person, he just may punch your lily white, Liberal ass.
One thing I do know for sure is that most Law firms are 99.9% white. What the hell is going on with that?

I went to my son's Law School Graduation a few years ago. One Black graduate in a class of 125. Racist pigs, those Law School Profs.

Finally, what big city do you reside in that makes you so much smarter than the rest of us? You may be a Lawyer, which I highly doubt, but if you are, it's pretty much a certainty that plugging in an appliance would be a head scratcher for you and changing a tire would be an impossibility.

Reactions: sober_teacher

How many of the "8-10" head coaches from the "Fry Tree" were Black? Why use 8-10? Too damn lazy to garner facts? You are an embarrassment to pretend Lawyers everywhere.

Last edited:
Bringing up Braithwaite in this discussion is hilarious.

Would he be the head of S&C if Iowa football didn't lose a lawsuit which accused the university's football coaches of racism and bullying?

Would he be the head of S&C if the accusations of racism and bullying had any merit? Do you think he would have stuck around all these years? The University of Iowa didn’t “lose” a damn thing. They folded to woke pressure. Sad to see, but not surprising.

So happy to have ignored him. My life is better without his stupid posts. I am curious why the heading of his post shows in my feed but yet all of his content is blocked.
Enjoy the idiot that is Iowa Law.

f24b4a1f-3233-404a-9e8f-b60c362c204d_text.gif

Bryce, stop trolling the message board.

Besides, everyone that knows you, knows your stance on black people in real life...........gg.

And don't call ne Jesus. I an very sorry your parents didn't teach you critical thinking and discourse.
When I said no more speaking lines, I meant put the computer/phone away and take a nap. Eat some jello and watch reruns of The Price is Right. You're too old to be posting on social media, especially at this hour.

that is a very good question on this subject. Modern churches for the most part are impressed with success and power. Jesus came to stir up the established way of thinking and help the marginalized. Some on here act just like the Pharisees when discussions about this subject are barely broached. It is a subject that should be discussed with an open mind in attempts to understand others positions on the subject. It is to some degree apparent that more than a couple of Hawk players have felt marginalized due to race within the Iowa program and was expanded by KF's disbanding of the committee that was formed. Read carefully what I actually just said without an emotional reaction. Dialog is one of the ways to come to mutual understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT