ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back cursive, bring back cursive!

The Japanese still teach their kids three written forms of the language - katakana, hiragana and kanji - yet Americans don’t have time to master cursive. Trust me, cursive is so much easier than what the Japanese are mastering.

As someone said earlier, it’s really not that hard.

Reactions: ericram and sabula
Cool story. Back to the original topic…learning to write/read cursive really isn’t that difficult.
That isn't the question - the question is whether it's relevant. Some LEA's have switched to teaching italics. Seems easier.

Ironturd votes NO to cursive... but yes to all caps, bold, italics and massive underlining.

Changing how you learn such as walking v sitting chang3s brain pathways which is good to have more pathways. Cursive uses mor pathways. A child with learning issues benefit from learning cursive.

My school never stopped teaching cursive. Next year, we are having kids write for 20-30 minutes every day. Our own data showed our kids aren’t good writers and they don’t like writing.

Drill02.jpg

My school never stopped teaching cursive. Next year, we are having kids write for 20-30 minutes every day. Our own data showed our kids aren’t good writers and they don’t like writing.
Practicing cursive letters for 20-30 minutes a day or putting actual ideas, thoughts, stories, communication, etc on paper with a pen/pencil?

Practicing cursive letters for 20-30 minutes a day or putting actual ideas, thoughts, stories, communication, etc on paper with a pen/pencil?
Both, but more on the ideas, thoughts and such on paper. We had kids writing ‘I don’t care’ on the state common assessments. Lots of kids didn’t write anything at all. It’s a new initiative for next year, so not sure what it’ll look like.

• Wow
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Have you ever seen the original documents at the National Archives? Absolutely incredible.

I'm also left handed and was regularly told I have beautiful handwriting for being left handed.

I waited like 3 hours to get in once and looked at it for like 15 seconds before being ushered on. Honestly one of the worst travel experiences I’ve ever had especially considering the Smithsonian is right there and I could walk right in.

Or printing. I can remember how much note taking aided me in school work. I would read back over notes especially prior to testing and it was a big help.
There is an imprint from the moment of writing something down…

In kids, studies show that tracing out ABCs, as opposed to typing them, leads to better and longer-lasting recognition and understanding of letters. Writing by hand also improves memory and recall of words, laying down the foundations of literacy and learning. In adults, taking notes by hand during a lecture, instead of typing, can lead to better conceptual understanding of material.

"There's actually some very important things going on during the embodied experience of writing by hand," says Ramesh Balasubramaniam, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Merced. "It has important cognitive benefits."

While those benefits have long been recognized by some (for instance, many authors, including Jennifer Egan and Neil Gaiman, draft their stories by hand to stoke creativity), scientists have only recently started investigating whywriting by hand has these effects.

A slew of recent brain imaging research suggests handwriting's power stems from the relative complexity of the process and how it forces different brain systems to work together to reproduce the shapes of letters in our heads onto the page.
Nothing gets my dick harder than a beautifully penned cursive note from my wife.

How does a person who cannot read or write cursive endorse a check? Maybe will go back to making your mark.😂

I’m left handed. I bet if I look real hard I can still see remnants of the cursive smudges on the side of my hand from 20+ years ago. Cursive as a lefty is horrible.
We had to either turn our whole body to the side, almost falling out the seat or crook our left hand 180 degrees like an arm wrestler throwing a curve ball just to avoid getting the dreaded grade markdown for the graphite smudges. Heaven forbid you have to write in a binder or notebook and have your hand raised by the damned spirals. Oh, and just wait till you get to middle school and had to switch to pens.

I'll never forget the look on one of my teacher's faces where we had turn in a notebook of a term paper rough draft and I had to explain why it started from the back and was flipped upside down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT