ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Harding Highlights

Shot 1: traveling. As a longtime official at the HS/College level, I'm OK with hesitation moves so long ad the initial move/carry doesn't gain an advantage.

His move gained an advantage. That's traveling 10/10 times for me.

Shot 3: also, borderline travel.
you must suck at your craft, those are not travels

#1 i could see a carry, but not really called that much anymore.

The outside shot looks good.

Thats crucial for an undersized player that relies on quickness to keep space open for the rest of his game.

If he can pull his shot up fast coming off a high screen like he showed in the video he can have success in big ten.

Frans never had a point guard who could do that and still be able to go around the big defender and get in the lane.

When do they have their game in Milwaukee area? 22nd of November.
The game against Milwaukee Lutheran is being played at Washington High School in Washington, Illinois. About 9 miles east of Peoria, Illinois. That and the game against Carmel, Indiana on the 26th is also being played there. It's part of the Tournament of Champions, whatever that's is.

Additional information: The Tournament is called the Kevin Brown Memorial Tournament of Champions. The teams involved and schedules are: Tuesday November 22nd, 4:30pm Yorkville Christian vs Metamora; 6pm Wisconsin Lutheran, Milwaukee, Wisconsin vs Moline, Illinois; 7:30pm Chicago Lincoln Park vs Washington; 9pm St Louis Cardinal Ritter, Missouri vs Joliet West. Wednesday November 23rd, 9am Urbana, Illinois vs Coral Glades, Florida; 10:30am Booker T. Washington, Houston Texas vs Yorkville Christian, Illinois; 12 noon Sugar Hill Lanier, Georgia vs St. Louis Cardinal Ritter; 1:30pm St. Paul, California vs Chicago Lincoln Park; 3:15pm Linton-Stockton, Indiana vs St. Joseph-Ogden, Illinois; 4:45pm Metamora, Illinois vs Winter Haven, Florida; 6:15pm Joliet West vs Chicago St. Rita; 7:45pm Washington vs Moss Point, Mississippi; 9:15pm Blytheville, Arkansas vs St Pius X-St. Matthias Academy, California; Thursday November 24th, 3pm Moss Point vs St. Paul; 4:30pm Coral Glades vs Blytheville; 6pm Chicago St. Rita vs Sugar Hill Lanier; 7:30pm Winter Haven vs Booker T. Washington; 9pm Urbana vs St. Pius X-St. Matthias Academy; Friday November 25th, 9am Chicago Lincoln Park vs Moss Point; 10:30am Blytheville vs Urbana; 12 noon St. Pius x-St. Matthias Academy vs Coral Glades; 1:30pm Sugar Hill Lanier vs Joliet West; 3pm Yorkville Christian vs Winter Haven; 4:30pm St. Louis Cardinal Ritter vs Chicago St. Rita; 6pm Pewaukee, Wisconsin vs Normal Community; 7:30pm St Paul vs Washington; 9pm Booker T Washington vs Metamora; Saturday November 26th, 8am Washington Invitational-TBA, 9:30am Washington-TBA; 11am National Classic-TBA; 12:30pm National Classic-TBA; 2pm National Classic-Championship Game; 5pm Moline vs Carmel, Indiana; 6:30pm Washington Invitational-TBA; 8pm Washington Invitational-TBA (Washington Game)

Sorry if this is long.

Last edited:

And it's because of people like you that games are being canceled due to a shortage of officials.

Feel free to get licensed and join us, sir/ma'am. I will call #1 a travel/carry every time. I don't buy into the new age basketball culture. I call games as I see them. I make mistakes. I admit when I do.

And it's because of people like you that games are being canceled due to a shortage of officials.

Feel free to get licensed and join us, sir/ma'am. I will call #1 a travel/carry every time. I don't buy into the new age basketball culture. I call games as I see them. I make mistakes. I admit when I do.
Carry/Double dribble are the only calls that could remotely apply to either of shots one or three. Where are the extra steps?

Carry/Double dribble are the only calls that could remotely apply to either of shots one or three. Where are the extra steps?
On the hesitation (with the lift of the ball), he takes two steps. Pressing off of one before the ball comes back to the court. Traveling or carry. He did both in my eyes. You disagree with me it's OK. Hundreds of people disagree with every call on a given Tuesday or Friday night. I'm used to it.
It Is What It Is Dont Care GIF by AwesomenessTV

Shot 1: traveling. As a longtime official at the HS/College level, I'm OK with hesitation moves so long ad the initial move/carry doesn't gain an advantage.

I am not an official but I have watched a lot of basketball. Neither of those are travels.

In HS it's a travel. After the ball hits the ground both feet are on the ground, he then jump starts and moves both feet (R/L) before the ball hits yhe ground again. If he had just stepped instead of the little jump start, it would be good.

Traveling by the rules , yes. Representative of BB today 100% and I would guess it's called once a game on average.
I love the break away dunk layups Iowa fans have seen several times over the last couple years where the guy take 4-5 steps after picking up the dribble and everyone swallow the whistle so they don't make each look bad.
Or the post guy getting the ball and he body bounces the defend 2, 3, 4 times both feet moving closer to the basket then the quick spin ,no bounce chicken wing chucks the defender 4ft to one side and no travel no foul.

The outside shot looks good.

Thats crucial for an undersized player that relies on quickness to keep space open for the rest of his game.

If he can pull his shot up fast coming off a high screen like he showed in the video he can have success in big ten.

Frans never had a point guard who could do that and still be able to go around the big defender and get in the lane.
His shot is certainly accurate, but the release point looks a bit low, especially for a smaller player. Nothing he can't work on, though.

I am not an official but I have watched a lot of basketball. Neither of those are travels.

wait a second. @BlameIt was serious? lol

Last edited:
Every time I watch film of Brock, I wonder how/if his herky-jerky, jump in the air style will translate to the college level.

His shot is certainly accurate, but the release point looks a bit low, especially for a smaller player. Nothing he can't work on, though.

Quick release is more important than release point (assuming it's repeatable). He has a pretty quick set up/release, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Hammer93
I know Illinois coaches liked his ballhandling and passing but had concerns about his ability to guard in the Big Ten. Hence, no offer. He’s fun to watch in high school, though.

It’s tough to find out that Underwood and McCaffery are actually good friends. Lol. Underwood says that Fran is one of the best coaches in the league and may have been the best team at the end of last season. Illinois squeaked out a victory for the BT championship, but it wasn’t easy.

Today he talked about how Fran adjusted last season to smaller ball after losing their big man all American similar to what Underwood’s plan is this year without Kofi.

The bromance is hard on us fans. Lol

I know Illinois coaches liked his ballhandling and passing but had concerns about his ability to guard in the Big Ten. Hence, no offer. He’s fun to watch in high school, though.

It’s tough to find out that Underwood and McCaffery are actually good friends. Lol. Underwood says that Fran is one of the best coaches in the league and may have been the best team at the end of last season. Illinois squeaked out a victory for the BT championship, but it wasn’t easy.

Today he talked about how Fran adjusted last season to smaller ball after losing their big man all American similar to what Underwood’s plan is this year without Kofi.

Well the good news for Iowa fans is we're used to seeing a lack of defense, so his deficiencies will be much less noticeable at Iowa!

Well, Fran is da man, after all. ;)

You heard that IL coaches’ concern regarding his ability to guard was due to size, not quickness I presume - correct?

Last edited:
I listened to the recent podcast where the Illini fan said that Brock can get where ever he wants to go on the court during a game. Pretty much at any time he wants to do it....
That's really the question that will have to be answered in college and why some of the power conference offers were slow in coming. Yes, he can get anywhere he wants to go on the court against high school competition. Can he do that against college players? We will find out. I'm fine with Fran placing his bet on Harding as his track record is decent with these under the radar guys. Bohannon everyone called a reach. Perkins was seen as a bit of a reach. Not every one of those guys worked out, but Fran has been generally good about identifying who can play at this level.

I'm intrigued by Brock and his skill set, wish I had played with a PG half as good as he is when I was in high school. I'll be shocked if he ever ends up all conference at Iowa, but he does a lot of nice things on the court at a high level overall.

Oh and he definitely likes to get his hand underneath the ball and carry it a bit before making a move. He'll get that called on him now and then if the refs focus on it, for sure.

LOL!!!

No one cares what you think is a travel and what's not.

That's really the question that will have to be answered in college and why some of the power conference offers were slow in coming. Yes, he can get anywhere he wants to go on the court against high school competition. Can he do that against college players? We will find out. I'm fine with Fran placing his bet on Harding as his track record is decent with these under the radar guys. Bohannon everyone called a reach. Perkins was seen as a bit of a reach. Not every one of those guys worked out, but Fran has been generally good about identifying who can play at this level.
Brock plays with college and NBA guys a lot. He's more than held his own in those settings

On the hesitation (with the lift of the ball), he takes two steps. Pressing off of one before the ball comes back to the court. Traveling or carry. He did both in my eyes. You disagree with me it's OK. Hundreds of people disagree with every call on a given Tuesday or Friday night. I'm used to it.

Thanks for doing what I see as a no win job that some people must do.

Refs can have different standards as long as the coaches and players know what to expect and it gets called the same way on both ends. For example, if a coach can tell his players before the game, "we've got BlameIt tonight and he's strict on travel calls, so don't carry the ball" that's exactly all people should reasonably expect.

Question. How do you view this scenario. Player 1 is shooting the ball, from anywhere, doesn't matter to this question. Player A hits Player 1 anywhere during the act of shooting. Isn't that kind of an automatic foul? Should it be?

Second scenario. Player 1 is again shooting the ball. Player A jumps toward the shooter and lands on the shooter after release of the ball. Is that not a "common" foul. I get not a shooting foul but is that not physical conduct prohibited by the rules?

Edit: Serious questions. Not trying to be a smart ass. Just a couple of scenarios where refs are all over the board in the ways they each individually treat those scenarios. I come from a debate background. The refs are called "judges." Almost everyone has their own particular view, and a smart coach will understand that the game plan should play to each individual's judge/ref's view. So, I understand how two officials could see the same play and reach different conclusions.

I'm just curious of your thoughts because, unlike most of us, you can voice actual professional opinions on those kinds of calls.

Last edited:

POSSIBLE carry, not traveling.

Having a kid or two like Brock on the team is a good thing. Probably going to be a great practice player with his quickness and could give solid minutes in games if he can handle the ball and shoot free throws well. From what I have seen (which is only videos) he seems like he could really help in those two areas. I am not concerned with this shooting release point as he seems like a kid who gets the ball off quickly and will be able to create a little space to shoot cleanly. Anway, I like the idea of having as much bench speed as possible to bring in in short spurts.

I was going to argue with you but after thinking about it you can travel before a carry.

Everyone just calls it a carry because its easier to see but really if you move two feet before you double dribble you have traveled where as if you don't take two steps then you've only double dribbled.

All the mentions of Brody Boyd made me wonder what he was up to and I found this

Apparently his hobbies include loitering around gas stations doing scratch offs. Yikes. Although that 500k will buy him a lot of diet dew.

I'm intrigued by Brock and his skill set, wish I had played with a PG half as good as he is when I was in high school. I'll be shocked if he ever ends up all conference at Iowa, but he does a lot of nice things on the court at a high level overall.

Oh and he definitely likes to get his hand underneath the ball and carry it a bit before making a move. He'll get that called on him now and then if the refs focus on it, for sure.
If the refs start calling carrying, the games will grind to a halt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT