ADVERTISEMENT

Brody

GHerky

HR All-State
Oct 23, 2001
Heard from a guy that I work with that there was some meaningful wrestling going on in the room this week. Was told that the coaches awarded BG with a wrestle off at 157 and that Kelly beat Brody 2 out of three.

Kind of surprised that the coaches would go this route so late in the season and even more suprisedthat there was no mention of this on the boards... so maybe this information is false?? Anyway, just repeating what I was told.

Anyone have anything to add here?

Originally posted by GHerky:
Heard from a guy that I work with that there was some meaningful wrestling going on in the room this week. Was told that the coaches awarded BG with a wrestle off at 157 and that Kelly beat Brody 2 out of three.

Kind of surprised that the coaches would go this route so late in the season and even more suprisedthat there was no mention of this on the boards... so maybe this information is false?? Anyway, just repeating what I was told.

Troublemaker...........go away..........
chairshot.r191677.gif

You wait till the week is over to tell us this.......

If you'd told us Monday this thread would be pushing 600 posts on it's way to 700++

The only way Brody will have success next year is if he adds significant size and strength. He has 8 months and can do it if he starts now.

Has there been a change in Brody's try at 141? I saw the video posted where he said he was on his way down, is that a no go already?

From what was posted, he got to 141.9 and crashed. 141 is no longer an option. I hope the decision on Sorensen to 157 is made as soon as Nationals is over so Brody can bulk up if he has to. If he can't beat Kelly then he had better add some strength or it will be a long year next year for him at 157.

A title contender at 149 can't beat a 157 that's going to need a wild card to qualify. Isn't that shocking?

Originally posted by Sidenote:
A title contender at 149 can't beat a 157 that's going to need a wild card to qualify. Isn't that shocking?
Not really. Mike is currently a full weight class bigger and wrestle offs are often close due to familiarity.

No one has mentioned the possibility of him transferring for his last year. I believe his brother was a D III AA for Coe. Hope it doesn't happen, but if Sorenson stays where he is at, I think the thought will cross his mind.

Why would he transfer when he seems to have a D1 starting spot at 157 or 149 waiting for him next year?

Originally posted by DonHawkeye:
Why would he transfer when he seems to have a D1 starting spot at 157 or 149 waiting for him next year?
It all starts with, I heard from a friend of mine and escalates to, possibility of transferring. This is why people enjoy this board.

Like I stated previously, Grothus ended up going the wrong direction and it didn't work out. Plan is to bump him up to 57 next year, for sure. Whether he locks the spot up is yet to be determined. My source beat on a Korean in 96..
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by OldFatSlow:
No one has mentioned the possibility of him transferring for his last year. I believe his brother was a D III AA for Coe. Hope it doesn't happen, but if Sorenson stays where he is at, I think the thought will cross his mind.
No one mentioned it because it is not at all likely to happen. He has the frame and talent to do well at 157 or who knows maybe Sorensen decides to go up (I like him at 149 though). Like others have said people need to be sure of what the heck they are doing a lot sooner so we don't have this last minute bump up stuff. He will have to beat out Cooper and Rhoads more than likely and the spot is his.

We do have a glut of 57 lbers next year and should make the wrestle offs exciting. I have penciled Brody in at 157 and that is NOT crazy lineup talk esp Since it is so easy for me to move guys up/down weights. On wrestlestats (if I did it right), he's like the #4 returning 149 lb guy.

Now, crazy line up guy says "Olympic year for Sorensen and Brody at 149"
wink.r191677.gif

Vall: Brandon would gave to place top 3 at NCAA's or Brody and/or Brandon would have to place top 8 at Senior World Team Trials for Olympic Redshirt qualifications.

Originally posted by Vallholl:
We do have a glut of 57 lbers next year and should make the wrestle offs exciting. I have penciled Brody in at 157 and that is NOT crazy lineup talk esp Since it is so easy for me to move guys up/down weights. On wrestlestats (if I did it right), he's like the #4 returning 149 lb guy.

Now, crazy line up guy says "Olympic year for Sorensen and Brody at 149"
wink.r191677.gif
I like that crazy idea. Especially if Sorensen qualifies for it from his NCAA performance.

Originally posted by MVPFAN:
No one mentioned it because it is not at all likely to happen. He has the frame and talent to do well at 157 or who knows maybe Sorensen decides to go up (I like him at 149 though). Like others have said people need to be sure of what the heck they are doing a lot sooner so we don't have this last minute bump up stuff. He will have to beat out Cooper and Rhoads more than likely and the spot is his.
I expect Cooper and Rhoads to be in the mix at 165.

Not sure what was meant by the troublemaker comment but if information was accurate, and I think it was, the final match between the 2 was not until Friday (Kelly won 9-2, I have since learned).

The 1st 2 matches were on Thursday.

Sorry my information wasn't early enough for you KWOOD

Jonesy- I am fine with Brandon finishing top 3, heck I'm fine if he wants to win it all.

JonesHawk125 posted on 3/1/2015...
Vall: Brandon would gave to place top 3 at NCAA's or Brody and/or Brandon would have to place top 8 at Senior World Team Trials for Olympic Redshirt qualifications.

g I think it was a joke about an earlier brody thread that went over 400 replies. kwood was not insulting you imo

Geez, sorry. triple post when it appeared it wasn't doing anything. Now I know why the triple post in minnhawks 142/152 post about Young.

This post was edited on 3/1 1:11 PM by sloehawk

Double post, computer acting up.................

This post was edited on 3/1 1:10 PM by sloehawk

Too late in the season to care for me. True or not. Kelly needs to
finish strong and perform as well as he can. I don't think he makes the
podium, but I have no doubt he'll go down fighting every second of the
way.

Brody Grothus isn't a 157 lber no more than Dziewa was a 149 lber last year. Both are recipes for disaster for late season miracles.

Originally posted by sloehawk:

Too late in the season to care for me. True or not. Kelly needs to
finish strong and perform as well as he can. I don't think he makes the
podium, but I have no doubt he'll go down fighting every second of the
way.

Brody Grothus isn't a 157 lber no more than Dziewa was a 149 lber last year. Both are recipes for disaster for late season miracles.
Agree 100%. I'll be honest with everyone. Tired of the Brody updates. This is my opinion.

Iron Mike has given 120% effort in every match he has wrestled. The Martinez matches were the only ones where he was clearly outclassed. Every other loss, he has been right there. I hope Iron Mike can finish the season with a 9 match win streak.

This post was edited on 3/1 1:19 PM by whejoe

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Cooper at 165? I just ain't seeing that. 165 will come down to Rhoades, Thomsen and Paddock I would guess. Cooper and Brody should be focusing on 157 IMO. I have a feeling we see a youth movement of Gross, Sorensen, Paddock and Stoll getting us prepped some NCAA runs in 2017 and beyond.

Originally posted by 2000hawk:
Originally posted by SPOONER:

Cooper at 165? I just ain't seeing that. 165 will come down to Rhoades, Thomsen and Paddock I would guess. Cooper and Brody should be focusing on 157 IMO. I have a feeling we see a youth movement of Gross, Sorensen, Paddock and Stoll getting us prepped some NCAA runs in 2017 and beyond.
See what you would like but he was warmed up and ready to go at 165 for every match during national duals. He's better than Thomsen and perhaps even Rhoades right now. In order to be a factor he certainly needs to add strength in the offseason.

Would you say he is a better option than Paddock next year? I did not see a body frame or height from Cooper that looked like a 65 lb prospect. If so I would be curious to know why both Thomsen and Rhoades got matches at 65 and Cooper has had none at 57 or 65 outside of tournaments. 3rd string 49 bumping two weights just doesn't sound like a great option to me. Not saying wrong in him trying, but I don't see it working.

Originally posted by 2000hawk:
Would you say he is a better option than Paddock next year? I did not see a body frame or height from Cooper that looked like a 65 lb prospect. If so I would be curious to know why both Thomsen and Rhoades got matches at 65 and Cooper has had none at 57 or 65 outside of tournaments. 3rd string 49 bumping two weights just doesn't sound like a great option to me. Not saying wrong in him trying, but I don't see it working.
Can't say that I know the answer to your first question. Paddock is a good prospect but needs to improve. He has the potential. Cooper did wrestle 157 vs. MSU. And it is as bit of a reach to call him a "3rd string 149 pounder" when he's been full time at 157 since before Christmas after cutting hard to make 149. All I'm saying is 165 is wide open and he could end up as a factor since there's not a clear choice.

MSU is so bad they don't count, can't blame me for that. I have never heard 149 was a tough cut for Cooper, that would make me think a little more about it I guess. As far as third string, after midlands I think it was safe to say he was third string. We certainly need someone to stepup at 57 and 65 next year, maybe he fills one of those, maybe not.

Not sure what was meant by the troublemaker comment but if information was accurate, and I think it was, the final match between the 2 was not until Friday (Kelly won 9-2, I have since learned).

The 1st 2 matches were on Thursday.

Sorry my information wasn't early enough for you KWOOD

Sorry if you were offended. Was joking.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

It was wonderful info and good to know. Everybody here appreciates it.

Now go tell your source to be a bit quicker with info next time............
wink.r191677.gif

The post has derailed a bit, but we're silly like that around here. I'm all in on Paddock at 165 next year. There was a lot of info disseminated about him being a light 174 lber this year for his redshirt year with the intention of cutting to 165 next year. Personally, I think the kids a beast. I can't see Cooper, Rhoads or Thompson beating him. Then again, my track record sucks I picked Brody as out # 1 starter at 149.

Originally posted by GetNAfterIt:
Like I stated previously, Grothus ended up going the wrong direction and it didn't work out. Plan is to bump him up to 57 next year, for sure. Whether he locks the spot up is yet to be determined. My source beat on a Korean in 96..
How does Khadzhimurad Magomedov know what's going on in the Hawkeye wrestling room?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT