ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks Wins Hodge

Redm18

HR MVP
Feb 16, 2020
Looks like Aaron Brooks won the Hodge surprising no one. Great Athlete and well deserved imo.

Looks like Aaron Brooks won the Hodge surprising no one. Great Athlete and well deserved imo.
Great choice. Congrats to Brooks!

The criteria can say what they say but it's still voted on by humans and even fans and the criteria only play a part. I'm quite sure they got it right this time as much as I think Keck is a great wrestler with a great season.
Well if the HODGE is now going to be a "popularity contest"???? OK, I guess, but there are things like WINS, BONUS, etc....

going to 157.. that will be fun to watch
That’s why the only way caliendo to 157 makes sense is to open up a slot for Kennedy, especially if we can’t find a decent 157. But the weight cut and his poor matchup against MM doesn’t seem to be doing himself and favors.

Reactions: Hawkgma
That’s why the only way caliendo to 157 makes sense is to open up a slot for Kennedy, especially if we can’t find a decent 157. But the weight cut and his poor matchup against MM doesn’t seem to be doing himself and favors.
I agree with that but I am not on board with making room for Kennedy. He has bombed out twice at NCAA''s now. Maybe its time to admit he is a room guy!!

Well if the HODGE is now going to be a "popularity contest"???? OK, I guess, but there are things like WINS, BONUS, etc....
Not sure how things like wins, bonus, etc. would make Keck the obvious winner. Brooks had the top dominance score going into nationals and I don't think the results there would have hurt his score relative to anyone else.

Brooks 4.88
Keckeisen 4.33

In addition- I believe- from memory- I saw that Brooks had a lot more tech falls vs majors than Keck. I just don't see how you cannot pick the most dominant, four-time national champ with multiple wins over the runner up (previous seasons) as the winner. Seems obvious to me.

Not sure how things like wins, bonus, etc. would make Keck the obvious winner. Brooks had the top dominance score going into nationals and I don't think the results there would have hurt his score relative to anyone else.

Brooks 4.88
Keckeisen 4.33

In addition- I believe- from memory- I saw that Brooks had a lot more tech falls vs majors than Keck. I just don't see how you cannot pick the most dominant, four-time national champ with multiple wins over the runner up (previous seasons) as the winner. Seems obvious to me.

anyone who JUST NOW realizes the hodge is a career acheivement/popularity contest hasn't been paying attention

Brooks 4.88
Keckeisen 4.33

He gave up exactly zero takedowns all year.

I agree with that but I am not on board with making room for Kennedy. He has bombed out twice at NCAA''s now. Maybe it’s time to admit he is a room guy!!
You put caliendo at the weight he has the best chance to succeed at the tournament, especially making the finals. I think if otoole moves up, he would match up better with Hamiti and Haines than MM. Hamiti could bump to 274 also with his length, but very unlikely now with Oklahoma State.

The criteria can say what they say but it's still voted on by humans and even fans and the criteria only play a part. I'm quite sure they got it right this time as much as I think Keck is a great wrestler with a great season.
True, since they are human I think you pick Brooks because even if there was no head to head this year, they will think about past history.

You put caliendo at the weight he has the best chance to succeed at the tournament, especially making the finals. I think if otoole moves up, he would match up better with Hamiti and Haines than MM. Hamiti could bump to 274 also with his length, but very unlikely now with Oklahoma State.
Not super likely Haines jumps straight to 174.

but there are things like BONUS,
The problem with your post is that Brooks had the better bonus.

Brooks’ bonus rate was slightly higher and his bonus per match was way higher.

PK had 25 bonus wins in 28 D1 matches. That’s 89.29%. Brooks had 20 bonus wins in 22 D1 matches. That’s 90.91%.

PK averaged 4.36 team points per D1 match. Brooks averaged 4.95 team points per D1 match.

But thanks for proving why Brooks was most deserving between two very deserving candidates.

Hodge criteria, in order of importance:
  1. Record
  2. Number of pins
  3. Dominance
  4. Past credentials
  5. Quality of competition
  6. Sportsmanship/citizenship
  7. Heart
They did away with past credentials as a criteria. If past credentials had not been a criteria when Dieringer won then I believe Zain would have been a three-time Hodge winner.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
They did away with past credentials as a criteria. If past credentials had not been a criteria when Dieringer won then I believe Zain would have been a three-time Hodge winner.
That may be true but we all know past credentials are a part of the Hodge voting whether a criteria or not. It is what it is.

Reactions: goldenanimal
What’s holding a slot for Kennedy going to do for the team, point wise? Prolly not much, imo.

Yeah. Winning nationals, beating two past NCAA champions in the same tourney, and having no losses other than injury defaults had nothing to do with it.
Sorry bub. If he had done that and NOT won his fourth? No, he's not on that list.

Sorry bub. If he had done that and NOT won his fourth? No, he's not on that list.
There are five wrestlers on the Hodge list. Which of the five unlisted NCAA champs was more deserving? No one else had fewer losses. Are you going to replace him with someone that had as many or more losses when Carter’s were by injury default?

Reactions: kjb32812
Maybe you're right but Brooks did have an ever so slightly higher bonus rate and a much higher % of pins and techs. PK is truly a great wrestler and had a dominating season but Brooks was on another level. I'm not quite sure what criteria you were saying that PK had over Brooks. Both were undefeated, PK did win more matches but arguably Brooks wrestled the higher level of competition in the matches he competed in. The old criteria included past performance where Brooks is a 4 timer and did beat PK head to head last year. I know the new criteria doesn't necessarily look at prior years - but wow. Both are high character guys and well deserving, but it's pretty tough to not agree with the Brooks selection - unless of course someone just hates Penn State. Could be wrong but I don't think Brooks even gave up a takedown or reversal all year. The other thing is that with 4 of 5 candidates being from PSU, that definitely took some votes from Brooks on the fan voting. I still miss Spencer. When he was healthy he kind of defined domination.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndEEss and el dub
There are five wrestlers on the Hodge list. Which of the five unlisted NCAA champs was more deserving? No one else had fewer losses. Are you going to replace him with someone that had as many or more losses when Carter’s were by injury default?
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be on the list honestly.

But those are 2 real losses. They count, and technically, he shouldn't be on the list. But he is BECAUSE he won his fourth. Wrestling with a busted knee, beating 2 former champs before the finals - they help his case for sure. But if he did that to win his third or his second or first - he ain't on the list.

I'll give you an actual scenario when this happened. 2018 Hodge - Jason Nolf had ONE loss this year. It was a med forfeit in a match he was winning. The 2 medical forfeits he took at Big Tens didn't count on his record. Posted an 80% bonus rate - AND GUESS WHAT?

He was not listed as a finalist in the Hodge Trophy Vote, and there were only 4 options (Zain, Nickal, Gross, Z)

So my point stands dingus.

Who says there has to be 5 Hodge Finalists? In most years, there are NOT exactly 5 finalists. Hell, in 2022 there were only 3 finalists. From 2015 through 2019 there were 4 finalists each year.

Star had a great year. He had a great career, becoming the 6th ever 4-time champion. However, the two losses on his record (which resulted in him not winning a conference championship) should have disqualified him from being a finalist this year.

Reactions: vhsalum
I have to disagree. Dieringer earned it in every way that season. 33-0. 12 FALLS, 7 TF’s and 8 MD’s. Of the 6 non majors only 2 matches were close(Lewis 4-3 and Weatherman 4-2). Neither came anywhere close to a takedown and he smoked them both in rematches(14-4 and 11-5).

Although Retherford’s percentages were slightly better at 34-0 with 15 FALLS, 8 TF’s and 7 MD’s, I would argue rather vehemently that 149 was not remotely as tough as 165 that year.

I also believe style points play a big factor. As tough as Retherford was on top a large portion of that is hard to watch as he simply grinded guys down with a double leg ride. Over time he would turn many people just like Lee would due to incredible power and relentlessly wearing guys down. If the refs would have called double leg rides more like they do now, it may have actually hurt his percentages as much of it looks like stalling early on no matter how active you are grinding on the head and neck.

With that said, I do agree that both guys were deserving, but I definitely would not have favored Retherford over Ringer that season…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT