ADVERTISEMENT

Bruner decommits.

It will be interesting to see if Iowa continues to recruit him. If the staff was high on him they should, but in the past the staff has moved on from kids who have wavered on their commitment.

Reactions: Coach Big Al
I know we have good LB depth but as I recall no backers per se were signed in 2017. Better stay after it in 2018.

Reactions: azhawkphan
Probably saw his recruiting pick up after some recent showings and wants to see what really are his options. Hopefully that's still the Hawkeyes in the end

You never know who is in a kid's ear. Since Iowa offered and he accepted there is mutual interest. So it seems to me Iowa should maintain contact and recruiting efforts, but clearly pursue others candidates as well.

Move on people. This kid is so, so over rated as a 3 star it ain't funny. More like a 1 star. My kid has been to BB and FB camps at homestead HS and I honestly can say Nate Weiland is a FAR better LB prospect than this kid will ever be. I have seen him play. Not impressed. FWIW Homestead HS is a big school and the kids their have a serious sense of entitlement. Other Whisky HS teams in the state hate them for this. It's a bunch of rich prick kids that have a me me attitude ( generally speaking ). The state of Iowa has 5-6 LB's this year that are unranked that i'd rather have.
Good riddance if you can't stick with your word already! Not a loss at all. Obviously he's gonna commit to becky in the next few weeks/ months. That's the reason for this. This is the chance you take when u recruit a whisky kid. Iowa is done w/ him i'm sure as well.

If a guy wants to be a Hawk - that is awesome. If a guy feels like he committed too early ... that is entirely on him. It's not like Iowa forced him to commit. Iowa may keep tabs on the kid ... but in all frankness, the LB body-type is a pretty common one to find in football.

If Iowa lost a DT we really liked or something that was closer to irreplaceable, I'd be more concerned.

As others have said - the kid's recruitment has probably picked up, so he probably wanted to see about exercising his options a little more. My guess is another factor that's contributing is that he's probably realizing that LBs from Iowa's '16 LB class are the ones who are most likely to be able to fill most of the LB spots vacated by those who graduate at the end of the '17 season. Consequently, he'd be facing an uphill climb earning playing time.

Also, maybe he had his heart set on being an OLB. However, in addition to guys from the '16 recruiting class ... Iowa also landed both Wieland and Colbert ... both of whom might project at OLB.

Are we set with LB recruiting in 2018 with just Doyle?
With 2 possible backers in 17 and only one in 18 would we be keeping up, so to speak, or would we need to add more.
If a guy wants to be a Hawk - that is awesome. If a guy feels like he committed too early ... that is entirely on him. It's not like Iowa forced him to commit. Iowa may keep tabs on the kid ... but in all frankness, the LB body-type is a pretty common one to find in football.

If Iowa lost a DT we really liked or something that was closer to irreplaceable, I'd be more concerned.

As others have said - the kid's recruitment has probably picked up, so he probably wanted to see about exercising his options a little more. My guess is another factor that's contributing is that he's probably realizing that LBs from Iowa's '16 LB class are the ones who are most likely to be able to fill most of the LB spots vacated by those who graduate at the end of the '17 season. Consequently, he'd be facing an uphill climb earning playing time.

Also, maybe he had his heart set on being an OLB. However, in addition to guys from the '16 recruiting class ... Iowa also landed both Wieland and Colbert ... both of whom might project at OLB.

Riley Reiff decommitted and recommitted, same with Juan Harris. Only people that left and didn't come back were Munir Prince (?), Ross Pierschbacher, David Kenney, and Juan after the 3rd commitment. To say Ferentz, or the recruiting staff, gives up on these kids is untrue. If the kid tells them no thanks, that's different.

Early signing day Mike Bruner
"I think the early signing day is a great idea. I would sign with Iowa 100% if I could in December. I think the August signing day would be even better. It would make everything a lot easier being able to sign before my senior football season." SMH

"I think the early signing day is a great idea. I would sign with Iowa 100% if I could in December. I think the August signing day would be even better. It would make everything a lot easier being able to sign before my senior football season." SMH
I would say somebody got in this young man's head.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
Perhaps he's got academic issues and can't get that side cleaned up soon enough.

As others have said...his speed might be troubling area too

Come on!! You know he REALLY meant, "100%, unless I get other interest & my dad keeps enjoying this process the way he has".
So, when he sat down with his family I hope they went over, once again, what "commitment" means. Good lord these people!!

My guess is Wisconsin or one of the blue bloods want him to visit and he would like to go. Based on last years Texas recruiting fiasco he wants to take visits and this is what Ferentz expects, if you want to take visits, decommit. I wish he would stay committed and not take visits, but I have no issues with him.

Matt Cushman - "What you do have is my word and it's stronger than oak".

From Jerry McGuire

We all know how that turned out. There use to be a day when your word and a handshake meant something. Not so much today. The kid's 18 so I'll give him a pass. We shouldn't get too wrapped up with verbal today, they are as fluid as water running through your fingers.

I live in Whitefish Bay - conference rival - and have kids in HS and at Iowa (FROSH) and at UW-Madison (JR) - I've seen this kid several times. Firstly - his HS isn't a huge powerhouse. 1200 students and they were dropped to D2. The North Shore conference is pretty mediocre football. This kid has a older bro that plays D2 (St Thomas?).....I thought he was slightly better but was shocked we offered that early. Didn't see that. From what I've read and reviewed/40 times etc. I like Nate W and Doyle as the future.

Also - just to clarify - this kid is not from a white collar/prep school family. Quite the opposite.

Not a chance, nor should they
57620d8a942b6.image.jpg

The kid's 18 so I'll give him a pass.
It's hard to judge a kid since I've never met him. Circumstances can change. You can change your mind up to a point. I appreciate that he said "I committed too early." That's right. If he thought, "If a school like XXX gives me a call, I'd want to check them out," then he should have held back from committing.

But all that said, I don't just give him a pass because of his age. If my boys do something like that at 18, it won't be because of me. I'll have tought them to know long before then what it means to give your word. We expect too little of our young people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT