ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Harper agrees to deal with Philadelphia Phillies

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
This story will be updated.

Outfielder Bryce Harper agreed to a record-setting, 13-year $330-million contract with the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday, completing a protracted, four-month journey through free agency and officially ending his seven-year tenure with the Washington Nationals, the franchise that drafted and developed him, brought him to the majors as a teenager in 2012 and watched him blossom into a superstar.

Harper’s deal with one of the Nationals’ biggest rivals surpassed Giancarlo Stanton’s 2014 extension with the Miami Marlins, a 13-year $325-million deal, as the largest contract in the history of major North American sports. But agent Scott Boras fell short of making Harper the highest-paid player in the game by annual salary.

The Phillies had been considered the favorites to sign Harper for much of the winter, owing in part to a November remark by owner John Middleton, who told USA Today he was willing to be “a little stupid” with his spending this winter. Talks intensified in recent weeks, and the Phillies ultimately held off late efforts by the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Francisco Giants.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...philadelphia-phillies/?utm_term=.929a9f6f7b5a

Minnesota Wild signed a couple guys to 13 year contracts and it’s going to kill them.

Of course the NHL has a hard cap.

It will really bite if TV revenue goes down.

"a little stupid"? How about a lot stupid. Can't see him being that much of a difference maker. As much as I don't like Machado, he can help the Padres win big in a year or 2.

I think the combination of Philly fans and Bryce Harper will lead to John Rocker esque quotes (not so much racially, but as heated).
Good old John, what do you suppose he's up to today the way the climate of the country is now. I had to look up his quote, what a piece of work.

"I'd retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-wracking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing... The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?[11]"

glad he didnt end up on the dodgers

the 13 years isnt really relevant, its a 10 year deal paid out over 13 years to bring down the AAV.

Woo-hoo...not a Dodger!!

Have fun with that contract, Philly. Idiots.

Really interested in the terms of this 13 year $330M (~$25 AAV) agreement. The AAV seems low so I’m guessing there’s more to it like a player option after X amount of years with Philadelphia buyout.

Really interested in the terms of this 13 year $330M (~$25 AAV) agreement. The AAV seems low so I’m guessing there’s more to it like a player option after X amount of years with Philadelphia buyout.
The story I read said there are no opt out years. I don't think the market for his services were as hot as Boras predicted. If you remember, he was projecting 10 years, $400mil.

Nope straight deal 13 yrs 330 million. Complete no trade clause is it. The word is it is front loaded so will be interesting balancing act in the first half of the deal. Man that is a shit load of risk. Top ten talent just not top ten results.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I say this fully realizing that (assuming the same AAV for every year) it's actually advantageous for a team to extend the contract...$30 mil now has higher value than $30 mil in 10 years (13 in this case).

That said, I REALLY don't like the idea of handing out 10+ year contracts, unless there are stipulations, opt outs, buy outs etc. I'd be fine giving him even a higher AAV, but for, say, 7-8 years. Granted, I also realize that having that stance might put me out on a number of FAs...so be it.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
The story I read said there are no opt out years. I don't think the market for his services were as hot as Boras predicted. If you remember, he was projecting 10 years, $400mil.

I don't think he was projecting 10/$400, I think he was dropping that line hoping to "settle" for something less, but still humongous. He got his humongous.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I don't think he was projecting 10/$400, I think he was dropping that line hoping to "settle" for something less, but still humongous. He got his humongous.
Boras has been successful in setting the market for his clients for years. While there is no argument that this is stupid money for a player with marginal on the field performance but with huge notoriety, it is a sign that MLB owners and general managers have pulled in the reins on spending some.

giphy.gif

He's 26. Pujols was 31? Not to mention that some were speculating at the time that he could be older than that.

Deal makes sense to me. The 13 years is just to make the AAV go down foe luxury tax purposes.

He's 26. Pujols was 31? Not to mention that some were speculating at the time that he could be older than that.

Deal makes sense to me. The 13 years is just to make the AAV go down foe luxury tax purposes.

Yup, and if front loaded, back end risk gets lower too. Phils bats are stacked. I'm guessing Harper hits #3 with Realmuto #4 and Hoskins #5. If opponents try to pitch around Harper, they're gonna pay.

You're right - Pujols was likely a worse deal, based on age.

Yup, and if front loaded, back end risk gets lower too. Phils bats are stacked. I'm guessing Harper hits #3 with Realmuto #4 and Hoskins #5. If opponents try to pitch around Harper, they're gonna pay.
As a Nats fan (well, secondary to being a Rangers fan), I can tell you that there isn't much need to pitch around him. Last year he hit .249 with 137 hits and 169 strikeouts.

Baseball Reference says that in "Late & Close" games, he hit .160 with 4 HRs & 13 RBI in 75 at bats. In tie games he hit .217 with 10 HRs and 22 RBI in 166 at bats.

He's good, but he's not Barry Bonds.

Also, he had 31 at bats at Citizens Bank Park last year. He hit .161 with 2 HRs and 6 RBI.

I like him, and it would have good if he'd stayed in Washington, so I could keep rooting for him, but he wasn't nearly what he was back in his MVP season.

Reactions: jasonrann
I think the combination of Philly fans and Bryce Harper will lead to John Rocker esque quotes (not so much racially, but as heated).

Edit: I pray the combination of Philly fans and Bryce Harper will lead to John Rocker esque quotes (not so much racially, but as heated).

Cutch and Harp batting 1st and 3rd. Dayum. They're doing with Harper what they wanted to have with Howard. A monster lefty hitting towards that short porch in right. Of course they need ever bat they can get with that average rotation that pissed down their legs in the last half of the season..

Cutch and Harp batting 1st and 3rd. Dayum. They're doing with Harper what they wanted to have with Howard. A monster lefty hitting towards that short porch in right. Of course they need ever bat they can get with that average rotation that pissed down their legs in the last half of the season..

Can I ask you a personal question? Hi YS, I'm uniFIGHT. Did you ever have a Philly accent? I've only learned of it in the last 2-3 years (I'm from Iowa where we don't know what we sound like and neither does anyone else). I first thought it was a Baltimore accent because I watched The Wire after it was complete at the same time as Always Sunnys's season 3rd or 4th season. Also, is Delaware getting in on the cryptocurrency game?

Can I ask you a personal question? Hi YS, I'm uniFIGHT. Did you ever have a Philly accent? I've only learned of it in the last 2-3 years (I'm from Iowa where we don't know what we sound like and neither does anyone else). I first thought it was a Baltimore accent because I watched The Wire after it was complete at the same time as Always Sunnys's season 3rd or 4th season. Also, is Delaware getting in on the cryptocurrency game?

When I talk to people here they think I have an accent (not thick though). When I go home to Philly, they think I sound like a redneck. So, it's a hybrid.

"I'm fixing to have some gizzards and a wooter. Go Iggles."

When I talk to people here they think I have an accent (not thick though). When I go home to Philly, they think I sound like a redneck. So, it's a hybrid.

"I'm fixing to have some gizzards and a wooter. Go Iggles."

Second question... you've spent time in both Philly and FL (I think Jville area, so probably a bad second question because it involves Tampa). You have interest in comedy. Ever heard of Ron Bennington?

Second question... you've spent time in both Philly and FL (I think Jville area, so probably a bad second question because it involves Tampa). You have interest in comedy. Ever heard of Ron Bennington?

Used be part of the Ron and Ron show with Ronny D. They helped make Larry the Cable Guy famous. He used to call in like every Thursday. Git er done, Ronny D!

Used be part of the Ron and Ron show with Ronny D. They helped make Larry the Cable Guy famous. He used to call in like every Thursday. Git er done, Ronny D!
Haha, okay you do. I currently listen to Ron Bennington on occassion. Never a second of Ron and Ron apart from the on air confrontation that's on youtube when Ron D left Ron and Ron. Ron and Ron became Ron and Fez when Ron D left and then Ron and Fex became XM and then Sirius/XM. Fez retired a few years ago and now it's just the Bennington Show. The story behind Bennington getting that job was that he owned/operated/performed at a comedy club in FL and he would try to bring his booked acts on the radio to promote his club. Eventually, the radio station decided he was funnier than the comics he was bringing on and signed him as a host.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT