ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Harper agrees to deal with Philadelphia Phillies

You're right - Pujols was likely a worse deal, based on age.

13 years is a hell of a gamble, but whatever you think of Harper, the Phillies should be paying for his best years. If he's truly a HOF player, he should be consistently good from 26 to probably 32 and then start a decline. If Harper leads them to a couple rings in the next 5-6 years, then he's probably worth it. If not...it could get ugly in Philly.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I know pro baseball players have rare talent and not everybody can do it, blah, blah, blah.

But that's like $150k a game for 13 years. It's really kind of disgusting, when you think about it.

And yet, if players don't make it, owners do. If Harper only makes $50k per game, then the other $100k goes to the owner. The money is simply there. It is what it is and they have to figure out how to divide it.

When I talk to people here they think I have an accent (not thick though). When I go home to Philly, they think I sound like a redneck. So, it's a hybrid.

"I'm fixing to have some gizzards and a wooter. Go Iggles."

I miss living in Philly a little bit.

Haha, okay you do. I currently listen to Ron Bennington on occassion. Never a second of Ron and Ron apart from the on air confrontation that's on youtube when Ron D left Ron and Ron. Ron and Ron became Ron and Fez when Ron D left and then Ron and Fex became XM and then Sirius/XM. Fez retired a few years ago and now it's just the Bennington Show. The story behind Bennington getting that job was that he owned/operated/performed at a comedy club in FL and he would try to bring his booked acts on the radio to promote his club. Eventually, the radio station decided he was funnier than the comics he was bringing on and signed him as a host.

Jesus. Are you 2 about to have a gay session? Nttawwt!!

Harper put up a like a 5 war season, he clearly makes any team he is on better ignoring salary concerns.
But u got to lock up 30 million in one asset. That's a lot of risk. Salary is almost always the prime concern.

Seems like guys that hit .250 with 25-30 homers are all over the place now.

pitching is what you should spend the majority of your assets on.

Bryce Harper is over hyped and over paid and now
the Phillies are stuck with him. The Nationals will be
in the World Series because they have 3 stud starting
pitchers.and a great hitter in Anthony Rendon.

But u got to lock up 30 million in one asset. That's a lot of risk. Salary is almost always the prime concern.

exactly, harper was worth almost 3 wins more than adam eaton but they probably wouldn't have had corbin and sanchez.

4.2. Good enough for T59. Tied with Mike Clevinger, Fernando Tatis, Jr, Willy Adames, and Eduardo Escobar. I don't know who Clevinger and Adames are.

4.6 per fangraphs. clevinger was one of the best pitchers in the al this year and adames is one of the best defensive middle infielders. Almost anyone that adds 4 wins to a team is an upgrade.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
4.6 per fangraphs. clevinger was one of the best pitchers in the al this year and adames is one of the best defensive middle infielders. Almost anyone that adds 4 wins to a team is an upgrade.
Sure, I'm not debating that he's not an upgrade over a replacement-level player. I'm questioning whether he's enough of an upgrade to justify 13 years, $330M.

I wonder why two sites would have different stats? It seems like they should be consistent. I got my number from ESPN: http://www.espn.com/mlb/war/leaders

I have been a Phillies fan my whole life and I am glad he's on the team. He is a competitor and brings the red ass every day. The Phillies lineup had to make lots of adjustments with losing Andrew McCutchen early in the year. Rhys Hoskins couldn't hit for anything the 2nd half of the season and then there is the god awful pitching. I expect the Phils will focus almost entirely on free agent pitchers this offseason, both starters and relievers. They're going to have to because the Braves and Nationals are going nowhere.

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
Harper put up a like a 5 war season, he clearly makes any team he is on better ignoring salary concerns.
And his WAR was 1.3 last year. His career average is 3.9 and that's highly skewed by a WAR of 10 in his MVP season. Is he a good player? Yes. Is he one of the best in the game? No and he shouldn't be paid like one IMO.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
And his WAR was 1.3 last year. His career average is 3.9 and that's highly skewed by a WAR of 10 in his MVP season. Is he a good player? Yes. Is he one of the best in the game? No and he shouldn't be paid like one IMO.

giphy.gif

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I have been a Phillies fan my whole life and I am glad he's on the team. He is a competitor and brings the red ass every day. The Phillies lineup had to make lots of adjustments with losing Andrew McCutchen early in the year. Rhys Hoskins couldn't hit for anything the 2nd half of the season and then there is the god awful pitching. I expect the Phils will focus almost entirely on free agent pitchers this offseason, both starters and relievers. They're going to have to because the Braves and Nationals are going nowhere.
They got rid of Kendricks who killed it. The guy they got in return...his mother even says, WHOOOO? Klentak and McFail need to go. Middleton effed up. Should've gone for the trifecta in the front office. Mickey Moniak? Sheesh.

Reactions: jasonrann
They got rid of Kendricks who killed it. The guy they got in return...his mother even says, WHOOOO? Klentak and McFail need to go. Middleton effed up. Should've gone for the trifecta in the front office. Mickey Moniak? Sheesh.

I couldn't agree more. The ownership group needs to become just about 100 times less conservative with the leadership they choose for the team.

I couldn't agree more. The ownership group needs to become just about 100 times less conservative with the leadership they choose for the team.
Howard Eskin politely asked JM during the presser as to why the other 2 are still there. JM snapped back, "Let me give you some facts and blah blah blah. Eskin went on WIP and dug up more facts. McFail is 317 games under 500 where ever he has been. No one knows what he does. He's riding on daddy's coat tails.

Howard Eskin politely asked JM during the presser as to why the other 2 are still there. JM snapped back, "Let me give you some facts and blah blah blah. Eskin went on WIP and dug up more facts. McFail is 317 games under 500 where ever he has been. No one knows what he does. He's riding on daddy's coat tails.

The next managerial hire will be very interesting. Early reports are they want an “experienced manager”. If that person ends up being Dusty Baker, I’ll never watch another game. I could stomach Girardi or Schowalter, but Baker is an idiot. What’s worse, he doesn’t have the self-awareness to know he’s an idiot.

The next managerial hire will be very interesting. Early reports are they want an “experienced manager”. If that person ends up being Dusty Baker, I’ll never watch another game. I could stomach Girardi or Schowalter, but Baker is an idiot. What’s worse, he doesn’t have the self-awareness to know he’s an idiot.

As a Phillies fan for 30 years, I’ll still watch. Won’t like it, but will still watch and go to games because I’m dumb.

As a Phillies fan for 30 years, I’ll still watch. Won’t like it, but will still watch and go to games because I’m dumb.

Oh, I’m sure I’ll still watch too, it will just piss me off if it’s Baker. I have been a fan for 40 years, even being from the Midwest. My first little league team was the Phillies back in the late 70’s. The Phillies teams of the late 70’s and early 80’s were pretty fun to watch. I’ve been hooked ever since. I am hoping they sign some good pitchers this offseason.

Oh, I’m sure I’ll still watch too, it will just piss me off if it’s Baker. I have been a fan for 40 years, even being from the Midwest. My first little league team was the Phillies back in the late 70’s. The Phillies teams of the late 70’s and early 80’s were pretty fun to watch. I’ve been hooked ever since. I am hoping they sign some good pitchers this offseason.

Same here. Grew up in Iowa and a huge fan of Mike Schmidt and been a fan since. Try to hit games each summer at all the midwest locations. My kids have also grown up as Phillies fans.

Problem is there isn't a ton of good pitchers to throw money at.
Cole and Strasburg when he opts out are only guys I'd put multiple years in. Ryu injury limit and Kuerschel too much money.

I get it. You know what you'll get with Dusty. You'll get really productive regular seasons, but you'll get a tire fire in the post-season. He's won 90 games or more 10x and has taken his team to the playoffs 9x......but he's also the master of the epic collapse and it always ends ugly.

I get it. You know what you'll get with Dusty. You'll get really productive regular seasons, but you'll get a tire fire in the post-season. He's won 90 games or more 10x and has taken his team to the playoffs 9x......but he's also the master of the epic collapse and it always ends ugly.

and he always has that look on his face like "WTF just happened?!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT