ADVERTISEMENT

Business class vs Premium Economy

artradley

HB Legend
Apr 26, 2013
Does anybody have experience flying overseas on Premium Economy? I'm mainly curious if the seats are comfortable with plenty of legroom. The difference in fares is substantial, so I'm curious if anybody can provide some insight. Mainly I want to see if PE would be miserable for an 8 hour flight.

Business class is a million times better than extra leg space in PE. The only time I have been able to stand PE for a long flight is when I have the row to myself and I can slouch all the way across.

You cannot compare to the seat width and pitch of lie flats in biz.

Reactions: Joes Place
Does anybody have experience flying overseas on Premium Economy? I'm mainly curious if the seats are comfortable with plenty of legroom. The difference in fares is substantial, so I'm curious if anybody can provide some insight. Mainly I want to see if PE would be miserable for an 8 hour flight.

If it's an overnight flight, Business Class is WAY better. Economy is Economy, no matter what they want to relabel it as. You may be more comfortable with a little extra legroom in Economy Plus on long flights, but you can also simply choose an exit row or front of a bulkhead where you have no one in front of you. That means nowhere to stow a bag under the seat in front of you (for a bulkhead) but it means unlimited legroom.

I've never flown this "Premium Economy" you speak of. But Business Class is standard for work travel on all international (Europe/Asia) flights for work, and it's a major difference to Economy.

Never flown anywhere in PE, but fly overseas a couple times a year in business class. I think the main differences are you still have a normal economy "seat" vs in business class you've got the lie-flat bed. But you do get a much better pitch in PE and I believe there are some fairly comfy foot rests for you as well.

If I had to pay personally for a long trip, I'd not be able to justify business class fares. PE I think would be perfect.

Check www.flyertalk.com for your specific airline in question - there will almost certainly be a 30 page thread with people debating this topic.

It'll all differ between airlines, flyertalk as pepperman pointed out or just simple google searches you'll find some travel bloggers who have reviewed both classes.

I've flown PE on a 3 hr flight across country with a 1 1/2 year old. I'd definitely use it on a personal flight overseas. But, if you can afford it, always go business class.

I've flown PE on a 3 hr flight across country with a 1 1/2 year old. I'd definitely use it on a personal flight overseas. But, if you can afford it, always go business class.

How much difference was there between PE and Economy? In economy I'm squeezed both on the sides and with legs. Will you still have 3 across? Is there additional room to put your elbows?

This is for work, but we're going to be making a lot of trips and we have a specific budget so we're trying to hold flights down to $3k roundtrip. We can do that business class, but sometimes it means making a connection, which I hate. So I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to have perhaps 10/11 hours in business class with a connection vs 8 hours in PE nonstop.

I used to fly to China often and would fly via United Economy Plus whenever possible. It was about $300 higher than a normal economy ticket where business class was thousands more. The extra six inches of legroom was very comfortable. I would take the window seat so I could lean into that for more room. I was upgraded for free to business class one time and it was a great experience. However, I couldn’t justify the cost difference to book it on future flights.

How much difference was there between PE and Economy? In economy I'm squeezed both on the sides and with legs. Will you still have 3 across? Is there additional room to put your elbows?

This is for work, but we're going to be making a lot of trips and we have a specific budget so we're trying to hold flights down to $3k roundtrip. We can do that business class, but sometimes it means making a connection, which I hate. So I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to have perhaps 10/11 hours in business class with a connection vs 8 hours in PE nonstop.

The flights I were on had three on the side, five in the middle, three on the other side. I am a big guy which is why I took the window seat so I could have some extra room to lean.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT