ADVERTISEMENT

Millennials and the "Gig Economy"

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
I found the last couple paragraphs interesting. Almost 40% of the workforce are the "gig economy". The author's argument is to make that more sustainable and commonplace. My initial thought was that the lesson learned here was to work early on to find something stable and work your way up from there. But the I realize that's not always the doable path for many people. Some people are forced to make their side hustle their main hustle. Which is something I can respect having made a living out of something that's a side hustle for most people.

I’m 32, and I haven’t worked a “real” (full-time) job since I was 23 and finished my two-year commitment with Teach for America. Since 2013, I’ve piecemealed together part-time jobs that include private tutor, substitute teacher, fitness instructor, story time program leader and freelance writer.

For my generation, this trajectory isn’t unusual: 45% of all freelancers are millennials, and almost half of all working millennials are freelancing. Now, with a resume that reads like a 2010s economist’s cautionary tale, I’m colliding with the problems of part-time employment as a norm.

In 2013, after two years teaching seventh-grade writing, I decided to apply for master’s programs and took on my first part-time gigs as a tutor and substitute teacher. At the time I didn’t see myself as “underemployed”— a dreaded condition that parents, economists and journalists cautioned against (and which then applied to almost 20% of millennials). I did take the LSAT and consider following my mom’s footsteps to law school. But, in line with many of my peers seeking fulfilling work, I ultimately chose to pursue my dream of being a writer. I was still on one of my parents’ health insurance thanks to Obamacare, I had saved money while living at home during my time with Teach for America, and I knew I could keep working part-time while in school full-time to get my master’s degree in creative writing.

At this point, I began teaching fitness classes in addition to tutoring. Gigging still felt normal and innocuous. I wasn’t even deterred when I got my first IRS notification that I owed the government more taxes, unaware of the costs of being self-employed. I bemoaned my quarterly payment to the IRS, but I readjusted for it. I even felt responsible when I made my first very small, tax-deductible IRA contribution (which I could only afford because I still lived at home). At 24, not having paid leave, a 401k or the stability that comes with a salary felt normal, especially among most of my friends who were also in graduate school.

But a year later, I became a primary caretaker. Gigging’s perks of flexibility and control became necessities when my mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. Working multiple part-time jobs was the only way I could care for her, stay in school and earn money. I helped her with daily tasks at home, managed her treatment schedule and attended every doctor’s appointment, chemo treatment, scan and procedure.

That was only possible because I made my own schedule. I could teach a Pure Barre class at 5 or 6 a.m. (sometimes both), take my mom to chemo for her eight-hour infusion at 8 a.m., tutor in the afternoons and complete my coursework in the evenings.

Simultaneously, my mom’s health rapidly declined. I was sandwiched between taking care of a baby, being present for my mom and working with my students — trapped between the broken caregiving options in the U.S. Even after my mom died, and my focus shifted to my baby, it was hard to balance child care and work, especially without a grandparent regularly around to help mitigate the cost of a babysitter or fill in when one canceled. Once my daughter started preschool, that complicated our schedules with sick days, early-afternoon dismissal times, school holidays and summer break.

If my 20s were proof of our country’s unsustainable workforce model and child-care and elder-care crises, the pandemic showed how quickly those issues could upend lives. In March 2020, my daughter’s preschool closed, and I gave birth to my son. Like too many millennial women, I was forced to leave the workforce entirely to take care of them. It took more than two years before I could manage another part-time job as a freelance writer.

By then, I was too grateful for a gig to complain about the hollow foundation underpinning my work: the inconsistency, low and slow pay, instability and lack of benefits. Instead I continued to freelance, and I’ve occasionally returned to tutoring. I also found a part-time job working as the “story time lady” at my local bookstore, where I at least knew I’d get a regular paycheck, albeit a small one, every other Friday.

Financially, I need the higher, regular pay and benefits that come with a salaried, full-time job. But it’s hard to find a good job, and if I get one, I don’t know how I’ll balance it with my responsibilities as a mom of young children in a country in which women like me often function as the social security net — the caretakers of the sick, the primary parents of the children. Even though I love my life, I wish I wasn’t working multiple part-time jobs. I wish our home life didn’t depend on my having the flexibility to deal with both small and urgent needs all the time.

Last year, 64 million people (4 million more than the year before) worked freelance in the gig economy. When 38% of our workforce is in this situation — and contributing more than $1.27 trillion in annual earnings to the economy — the country has a responsibility to make that work more sustainable. Our peer countries have done that by widely providing workers support, such as family caregiving leave, parental leave (including guaranteed paid maternity leave), pension credits for caregivers, sick leave and paid vacation; some are offering or considering income protections for self-employed workers.

On Tuesday, the Department of Labor issued a rule that companies have to treat some workers as employees, not independent contractors, based on new criteria meant to ensure people are being properly compensated. While that is a step forward, it’s not enough (and it’s likely to face lawsuits). Our country needs much bigger changes to make participating in the gig economy a viable, long-term choice instead of the all-consuming sinkhole I’m not sure I’ll ever escape.

Reactions: Sharky1203
Robert Reich

The gig is up: America’s booming economy is built on hollow promises​

“Gig work is also erasing 85 years of hard-won labor protections.

At the rate gig work is growing, future generations won’t have a minimum wage, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation for injuries, employer-provided social security, overtime, family and medical leave, disability insurance, or the right to form unions and collectively bargain.

Why is this happening? Because it’s so profitable for corporations to use gig workers instead of full-time employees.

Gig workers are about 30% cheaper because companies pay them only when they need them, and don’t have to spend on the above-mentioned labor protections.

Increasingly, businesses need only a small pool of “talent” anchored in the enterprise – innovators and strategists responsible for the firm’s competitive strength.

Other workers are becoming fungible, sought only for reliability and low cost. So, in effect, economic risks are shifting to them.

It’s a great deal for companies like Uber and Google. They set workers’ rates, terms, and working conditions, while at the same time treating them like arms-length contractors.

But for many workers it amounts to wage theft.”

This is how I had to cut my teeth in my industry before I landed a decent job.

2011-2015: First I worked full time doing what I hated, and part time doing what I loved - 55 hours per week.
2015-2019: Then I stitched together 2 part time and freelance working about 45-50 hours per week doing what I loved.
2019-present: Now I work 40 hours doing what I love.

It sucks but you really can't rely on starting at the bottom of a company and working your way up. Most likely if you start at the bottom you'll prob stay near the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC Nole OX
But, in line with many of my peers seeking fulfilling work, I ultimately chose to pursue my dream of being a writer.
Found the issue right here. Too many Millennials were raised and taught to "pursue your dreams" and "if you are doing what you love you won't work a day in your life". Generations prior were taught to suck it up and do what you needed to do to provide for you and your family.

Reality eventually comes crashing down and it is a cold bitch.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Found the issue right here. Too many Millennials were raised and taught to "pursue your dreams" and "if you are doing what you love you won't work a day in your life". Generations prior were taught to suck it up and do what you needed to do to provide for you and your family.

Reality eventually comes crashing down and it is a cold bitch.
My wife is a writer and makes good money. Big corporations want writers on their marketing staff. The jobs are out there.

My wife is a writer and makes good money. Big corporations want writers on their marketing staff. The jobs are out there.
That is good for hear. I wasn't referring specifically to writers, more to the "pursue your dreams" crowd. Eventually, most people are forced to wake up and face reality that you have to do what is needed to survive and provide. If you are able to turn your passion from a gig to full time employment, that is great, but that is also tough to do.

A career path of part time jobs and piecing things together is not a good thing, for the individual, their family, or this country.

Reactions: millah_22
It was written pre-Bidenomics, in 2019. Orange Jesus was president.
Yup, although this is one of those things where I don't really think it matters who the President is/was at the time. This is the result of de-unionization and increase in technology to make things like this easy to control and operate. I'm not sure what the solution is either, beyond these gig workers unionizing. In fact, that's probably the only way they'll get some of the benefits they've lost back.

Then again, if we had a true national health care system one of the biggest drawbacks to working a "gig" job, lack of healthcare options, wouldn't be a factor.

People are doing gig jobs because companies aren’t providing good enough full-time jobs.

If you’re going to get mediocre pay for a job that limits your hours just below the full-time benefits threshold anyway… You might as well do it on your terms.

A career path of part time jobs and piecing things together is not a good thing, for the individual, their family, or this country.

It’s fantastic when you’ve made your millions in the job you hated, retired, and not ready to just sit in your recliner all day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT