ADVERTISEMENT

Butter or Margarine?

Butter or Margarine?

• Butter

• Margarine

• Show me the results

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm going with my medical professionals that tell me to stay away from margarine. Not sure who Trad's wife's MD is.

I have strict instructions to stay away from margarine. Obviously if you over consume anything, it is going to hurt you in some way.

Reactions: ping72
I'm going with my medical professionals that tell me to stay away from margarine. Not sure who Trad's wife's MD is.

I have strict instructions to stay away from margarine. Obviously if you over consume anything, it is going to hurt you in some way.

She had the tail of her pancreas and her spleen removed. She no longer produces the enzymes needed to digest fatty foods, like butter, without great discomfort.

• Sad
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I usually use this one:

61ZDE3DBTtL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Use KerryGold

Reactions: Aardvark86
No joke, my wife and I did a taste test of butters available in Tallahassee through Publix, Trader Joe’s, ALDIs, Fresh Market, and Whole Foods as well as all that we could order from the GourmetFoodStore.com (we do three or four shipments a year of caviar, cheeses, butter, truffles, foei gras, preserved sausages etc from there). We only taste tested pure salted forms of the butter, no flavored butters. We did a pure head to head and put it on plain potato bread Toast. Our results were

1) Echire - 10/10
2817_1_.jpg

2) Isigny Beurre de Barratte - 9.5/10
large.png

3) Lescure - 9/10
IMAGE_EDIT_ffdd557a-ad6f-4586-a3d3-721a77c83eb7_1296x.png

4) Banner - 8.5/10
s683094299184817734_p2376_i3_w2873.jpeg

5) Cabot Creamery 7/10
resize

6) Amish Country Butter Roll 6.5/10
dutch-gold-pure-honey-alfalfa-blossoms.jpg

7) Vermont Butter and Cheese Company Cultured Butter 6/10
8) KerryGold 6/10
9) Plugra 6/10
10) Lurpak 6/10
11) Tillamook 5.5/10
12) Vital Farms 5.5/10
13) Countryside Creamery Pure Irish Butter 5.5/10
14) Land O’Lakes 3/10
15) Trader Joe’s Cultured Butter 3/10
16) Breakstone’s 3/10
17) President 2.5/10
18) Publix 2.5/10
19) 365 2.5/10

After the taste test and then eventually using all of the above butters, we have decided to always keep on hand 3 butters for different purposes. We now always keep Echire on hand for when we are using a small amount and want the taste of butter mostly undisturbed as it’s amazing. We also always keep on hand Kerry Gold because you can buy it cheap in bulk at Costco and while not amazing by itself, it has significantly more and better flavor than the store brands and is good for sauces or dishes where you need a lot of flavor and mostly want the butter to be the main flavor. And then we have Publix which tastes like nothing but fat but its flavorlessness is good for baking and sauces where the butter gets overpowered with other flavors you want to be up front. So in other words we use Echire to add to already made bread and pastries plus toasts, grilled sandwiches, vegemite sandwich etc…. We use Kerrygold in otherwise unflavored or mildly flavored breads and pastries and butter forward sauces like scampi and picatta. And just use Publix to make flavored cakes and strongly flavored sauces like Buffalo.
Get that pinko commie French shit outa here. Real Americans eat real American butter. 'Merica First!!

Last edited:
Margarine was invented in France by Hippolyte Mèges-Mouries in response to Napoleon III's call for a cheap alternative to butter for French workers and for his armies in the Franco-Prussian war. The first margarine, consisting of beef tallow churned with milk, was patented in 1869.
Always the hippie’s ruining everything

Margarine is poison.
Being a private chef, I use a lot of butter. I mean a lot. I use so much that I now buy it by the 5 kilo basket. I have a supplier that can get me this fancy French butter that I use for almost everything. I go through it quick enough that I leave it unrefrigerated, sitting on the counter.

Margarine is poison.
Being a private chef, I use a lot of butter. I mean a lot. I use so much that I now buy it by the 5 kilo basket. I have a supplier that can get me this fancy French butter that I use for almost everything. I go through it quick enough that I leave it unrefrigerated, sitting on the counter.
Growing up we left a stick of butter sitting out on the counter in a butter tray 24/7. Best thing ever.

Reactions: ping72
Get that pinko commie French shit outa here. Real Americans eat real American butter. 'Merica First!!

There is kind of a Magat version. Number 4 on my list and in the first tier before there was a noticeably large gap in flavor is Banner. It’s made in Magat friendly Atlanta Georgia but done in the same method as Echire and Isigny (ie a higher butterfat milk than American Jersey cow milk that is from hormone free cows raised on grass not corn is first allowed to mature or “sour” for several hours before it’s made into butter). All of the butters made that way have significantly more and better flavor than the middle tier like Kerry Gold and are miles tastier than the big store, store brands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT