ADVERTISEMENT

C19 numbers are rising...

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
In Iowa, slightly as C19 testing is declining by about 30%, deaths are on the rise as are hospitalizations...as Kimmie “opens up” Iowa. There are 5 variants of the virus circulating......Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.
Boyz, we ain’t out of the woods yet. Wear your masks! Get your shot. Wash your hands!

In Iowa, slightly as C19 testing is declining by about 30%, deaths are on the rise as are hospitalizations...as Kimmie “opens up” Iowa. There are 5 variants of the virus circulating......Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead.
Boyz, we ain’t out of the woods yet. Wear your masks! Get your shot. Wash your hands!
Hospitalizations are down 3.7% from yesterday. Down 6.1% in a week.

Of course, the numbers are always going to rise and fall a bit. They key is to avoid large spikes.

Reactions: ironside1
You fellas got links?

Joel, I've gotten both shots and still mask up in stores.
I get my second shot on the 17th...notifies today as I was originally scheduled for the 14th...I mask when “ in public” with others...alone, at home or hitting golf balls...no mask.

I just saw these stats on WHO TV at noon..it was a feed from a national source. What is concerning to me is the testing is down 30%...and we know there are several variants out there circulating. Just seems foolish to me to not wear a mask when in proximity of others. I do believe schools should push the envelope and get kids in school...I think bars need to be closed. However, school decisions should be local and not one size fits all. If Kim wants DSM schools open, she should run for the DSM school board.

Why close bars joel? You have some data that cases are originating out of bars more than other places?
Or, you just plucking them out of the air to hurt them financially?

Reactions: PIEPI
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is testing down because people just seen it getting sick?

Reactions: unIowa
The graphs on the Iowa Covid site certainly don't look like hospitalization numbers are rising. I would assume testing will continue to drop as overall numbers do (most folks aren't going to get tested unless they have symptoms).

I echo your sentiments regarding continued mask wearing, distancing, avoiding crowds and personal hygiene, but the daily hospital admissions, # of patients in ICU and total hospitalized for C-19 continues to trend downward in Iowa.

But i agree, we can't take that trend for granted and everyone should continue to practice good health measures to avoid a reversal of this positive trend here in Iowa.

Reactions: mattymoknows
The graphs on the Iowa Covid site certainly don't look like hospitalization numbers are rising. I would assume testing will continue to drop as overall numbers do (most folks aren't going to get tested unless they have symptoms).
Hospitalizations aren’t rising. See my post above. Also, if testing is down and cases are going up we should be seeing a rise in the positivity rate. 14-day remain unchanged from yesterday.

What's troubling is some think with declining numbers we are in the clear. The current numbers are comparable to what was considered a crisis last summer. If idiot leadership like we just saw in Texas becomes the norm, this pandemic won't be going away. I feel some of these GOP 'leaders' want to keep this pandemic going indefinitely.

Reactions: srams21
Biden said end of may everybody will have been offered vaccine. Come June 1st it’s over as far as I am concerned. The terminally scared can stay in the closet until they die for all I care.

Biden said end of May they will have procured enough shots for every adult in the US. There's still the logistical matter of getting them distributed, and there is also the fact that kids aren't getting vaccines yet.

What's troubling is some think with declining numbers we are in the clear. The current numbers are comparable to what was considered a crisis last summer. If idiot leadership like we just saw in Texas becomes the norm, this pandemic won't be going away. I feel some of these GOP 'leaders' want to keep this pandemic going indefinitely.

I see you have failed to realize that Covid will never completely 'go away'.

Reactions: ThisHawks4u
I don't know anybody who thinks this,... Most people that I encounter are tired of it, no longer afraid of it, and quite simply prepared to move on.

It's highly unlikely you'll get it (4%). It's highly unlikely that if you are in that 4%, that you'll become seriously ill and need to be hospitalized. And, even if you were hospitalized, it's highly unlikely that you would die.

We are approaching some seriously slim percentages that someone would have a serious health issue from the virus. Especially with a majority of elderly and long term care residents vaccinated.

Accept the risks and move on, or don't. Stay inside and join everyone else when you're ready.

Read an article that said Covid will become endemic in North America just like malaria is endemic in certain parts of the world. Something we can all be proud of!

Not just North America. It will likely never be eradicated completely.

"If other regions, aided by vaccines, aimed for a similar zero-COVID strategy, then could the world hope to rid itself of the virus?

It’s a beautiful dream but most scientists think it’s improbable. In January, Nature asked more than 100 immunologists, infectious-disease researchers and virologists working on the coronavirus whether it could be eradicated. Almost 90% of respondents think that the coronavirus will become endemic — meaning that it will continue to circulate in pockets of the global population for years to come.

“Eradicating this virus right now from the world is a lot like trying to plan the construction of a stepping-stone pathway to the Moon. It’s unrealistic,” says Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

Influenza and the four human coronaviruses that cause common colds are also endemic: but a combination of annual vaccines and acquired immunity means that societies tolerate the seasonal deaths and illnesses they bring without requiring lockdowns, masks and social distancing."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2

Reactions: your_master5
Not just North America. It will likely never be eradicated completely.

"If other regions, aided by vaccines, aimed for a similar zero-COVID strategy, then could the world hope to rid itself of the virus?

It’s a beautiful dream but most scientists think it’s improbable. In January, Nature asked more than 100 immunologists, infectious-disease researchers and virologists working on the coronavirus whether it could be eradicated. Almost 90% of respondents think that the coronavirus will become endemic — meaning that it will continue to circulate in pockets of the global population for years to come.

“Eradicating this virus right now from the world is a lot like trying to plan the construction of a stepping-stone pathway to the Moon. It’s unrealistic,” says Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

Influenza and the four human coronaviruses that cause common colds are also endemic: but a combination of annual vaccines and acquired immunity means that societies tolerate the seasonal deaths and illnesses they bring without requiring lockdowns, masks and social distancing."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00396-2
This was always going to be how this would end up.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I don't know anybody who thinks this,... Most people that I encounter are tired of it, no longer afraid of it, and quite simply prepared to move on.

Well, frankly, you must encounter a lot of idiots in your day to day interactions. I wish them the best of luck and hope they don't forget to keep breathing.

Reactions: bojihawk44
This was always going to be how this would end up.

And, do you know how we build long term natural immunity? By children being exposed. Which is what the 'schools aren't safe' crowd have been fighting.

"Five years from now, when childcare centers call parents to tell them that their child has a runny nose and a fever, the COVID-19 pandemic might seem a distant memory. But there’s a chance the virus that killed more than 1.5 million people in 2020 alone will be the culprit.

This is one scenario that scientists foresee for SARS-CoV-2. The virus sticks around, but once people develop some immunity to it — either through natural infection or vaccination — they won’t come down with severe symptoms. The virus would become a foe first encountered in early childhood, when it typically causes mild infection or none at all, says Jennie Lavine, an infectious-disease researcher at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

Scientists consider this possible because that’s how the four endemic coronaviruses, called OC43, 229E, NL63 and HKU1, behave. At least three of these viruses have probably been circulating in human populations for hundreds of years; two of them are responsible for roughly 15% of respiratory infections. Using data from previous studies, Lavine and her colleagues developed a model that shows how most children first come down with these viruses before the age of 6 and develop immunity to them1. That defense wanes pretty quickly so it is not sufficient to block reinfection entirely, but it seems to protect adults from getting sick, says Lavine. Even in children, the first infection is relatively mild."

Last edited:
It appears anyone who thinks it's a good idea to not wear a mask any longer (i.e. Texas Gov.), believes that we are in the clear. If they don't actually believe that, they are even bigger morons for lifting the mask mandate.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Biden said end of May they will have procured enough shots for every adult in the US. There's still the logistical matter of getting them distributed, and there is also the fact that kids aren't getting vaccines yet.
Kids with certain issues should stay home if warranted. How many healthy kids have died of corona? It’s a hell of a lot less than the regular flu.

It’s over as far as I concerned once every adult has been offered vaccine.

I haven't failed to realize that. We are going to have COVID for the rest of our lifetimes. What we can control is how that is dealt with and if it's dealt with in the right way, we can help minimize infection rates, lowing deaths, limiting variants, etc. Lifting mask mandates is not how you accomplish those goals.

I haven't failed to realize that. We are going to have COVID for the rest of our lifetimes. What we can control is how that is dealt with and if it's dealt with in the right way, we can help minimize infection rates, lowing deaths, limiting variants, etc. Lifting mask mandates is not how you accomplish those goals.

Then show me that they make a difference. With real world covid infection data. Not lab based experiments.
Because the numbers just aren't there.
Again, look at the Iowa positivity rate map and tell me which counties have mask mandates?

Reactions: hawkland14
Facebook and Twitter is just a cesspool when it comes to this topic. You have all of these people with COVID/political related handles. Avatars with "Vaccinated" on them. Like anyone gives a shit if you were vaccinated or not. This whole thing has become an introvert/social reject's wet dream. I'm over it....

Then show me that they make a difference. With real world covid infection data. Not lab based experiments.
Because the numbers just aren't there.
Again, look at the Iowa positivity rate map and tell me which counties have mask mandates?
Look no further than the flu infection rate of the past year. It has practically vanished because of masks and social distancing.

Are you telling me you still don't think masks work to slow infection rates?

Reactions: HawkMD
Look no further than the flu infection rate of the past year. It has practically vanished because of masks and social distancing.

Are you telling me you still don't think masks work to slow infection rates?

Flu is not Covid. Just show me the Covid numbers. Should be plenty of options.

Hospitalization are down today at 184 from 191 yesterday.
Please provide information that says there are 5 variants in Iowa.
Quit making up lies.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT