ADVERTISEMENT

Cade McNamara Fully Cleared to play

LOL. All of you people that think this will be a different offense. Outside of more pre-snap motion, the offense will be very similar to what its been.
More than that in my opinion. RPO. Running backs much more in the passing game. More use of the middle of the field on the passing game. I also saw a bunch of runs to the tackle as the TE went away from that side of the field that broke numerous times, some against our first string D. I think it hinges on having smart QBs to understand the reads and be able to go through their progressions quickly. I also believe once we show success with this offense, we will see fewer blitzes. As we all know, we had no way to make a defense pay for this in the past.

More than that in my opinion. RPO. Running backs much more in the passing game. More use of the middle of the field on the passing game. I also saw a bunch of runs to the tackle as the TE went away from that side of the field that broke numerous times, some against our first string D. I think it hinges on having smart QBs to understand the reads and be able to go through their progressions quickly. I also believe once we show success with this offense, we will see fewer blitzes. As we all know, we had no way to make a defense pay for this in the past.

Opposing coaches even admitted that they knew what was coming.

This was how predictable Iowa's offense was:

Jesus, some of you people are ponderous.

No one is expecting a wide open offense. And we will still likely run the ball more than pass. However, I DO expect to see the following major changes:
  • Lester will do a much better job of putting the right players in the right spots to acheive success
  • The route trees will no longer have 2 or 3 guys stacked on top of each other, which made it easier to defend
  • More quick hit passing routes (including more to RBs) to take pressure of offensive line.
  • More pre-snap motion. I actually think the benefits of this are a little overstated, but it can't hurt.

LOL. All of you people that think this will be a different offense. Outside of more pre-snap motion, the offense will be very similar to what its been.
I disagree. After underachieving for years, especially with his son as OC/QB coach, after years of wasting one of the nation's finest defenses, I really believe that KF is gonna allow Lester to run an actual offense this fall. Logic would have said that KF would have done everything possible to help his son succeed, but he did the opposite. But now that BF and all that is behind us, I think KF--maybe--gets it. You hire somebody who knows offense and QBs and get the hell outta the way. That's how Iowa's great defenses have been developed, and that's how an at least adequate offense will be developed as well.

And the more KF keeps his nose out of the offense, the more optimistic I am that Lester can pull off a huge improvement in year one. Having two or three healthy D-1 QBs is a great start.

I think the O will be similar to what Brohm ran at Purdue…motion while spreading out the D instead of bringing everyone into the box then attacking open areas of the field with mismatches - wr or rb’s on linebackers or tight ends in open areas that blitzes came from or down the seam. Looking forward to spreading out the D so the running game has some opportunities to break long runs.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyes4sandusky
The pre-snap motion won't make a diff unless we make plays utilizing it. Teams aren't going to change how they defend until we make them pay. They're going to be in "yeah...prove it to me" mode just like the fans.

At the very, very least, our OC coaching has improved by leaps and bounds and our QB coaching has improved exponentially. Just those things in and of themselves are what gives me a good amount of hope, even if nothing else changes.

Not complaining at all.
Liar

I agree with a previous poster that Kirk has finally figured out to let the OC actually coordinate and run things. All signs point to this. Kirk has said it will look completely different and I think they focused spring practice on the offense for a reason. We can all speculate on what it will look like but it seems a good bet it will look different.

Cade played in another softball game last weekend. Looks like they raised hundreds of thousands.

The story from the Gazette:

With competitive Cade McNamara on field again, Iowa, Iowa State’s NIL collectives raise money for Make-A-Wish Foundation

McNamara has ‘loved’ Tim Lester’s offensive scheme

John Steppe
John Steppe
June 24, 2024 5:17 pm

PLEASANT HILL — Never mind that it was simply a softball game to raise money for the Iowa chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The competitive side of Cade McNamara was fully on display.

“We’re not playing football, but there will definitely be similar feelings,” the Hawkeye quarterback said ahead of Sunday’s charity softball game put together by Iowa’s Swarm Collective and Iowa State’s We Will Collective.

McNamara dived for a ball going down the third base line. He even went well into defensive-back-turned-shortstop Quinn Schulte’s part of the infield to try to field a grounder. (Before any Hawkeye fans fret, he said beforehand he has been fully cleared and is “in a place where I want to be.”)

Sunday’s game was “for the kids,” McNamara noted, but “oh, we want to win.”

That competitiveness translated to the scoreboard, as Iowa’s charity team — composed of football players, with women’s basketball player Hannah Stuelke serving as “team captain” — eased past their Iowa State counterparts, 11-3.

Tight end Addison Ostrenga, a former Iowa baseball recruiting target, hit three home runs. Defensive back Xavier Nwankpa hit two homers — one off the scoreboard in left field and the other off the adjacent video board — in his return to Southeast Polk.

Much more importantly, the event raised funds for the Iowa chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The organization has not yet released the total dollar amount raised from Sunday’s event, but about 600 people were in attendance.

Along with admission (starting at $25 for adults and $10 for youth), Make-A-Wish received proceeds from auction items, pregame autograph fees and concessions. (Fareway donated the concession items.) Last year’s event raised more than $100,000, and that was in Humboldt — a much less populous area than the Des Moines suburbs.

“It’s such a great cause,” Iowa tight end Luke Lachey said before the event. “I remember growing up and watching videos of athletes making kids, their wish come true.”

Lachey specifically remembers a video of late Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant taking part in Make-A-Wish. Now, it’s Lachey doing it instead of Bryant although the always-humble tight end is “not really thinking about it like that.”

“We have a great opportunity to come out and make some people happy,” Lachey said.

Cade McNamara has ‘loved’ Tim Lester’s offensive scheme

In non-charity-softball news, McNamara was optimistic about his health status almost nine months after last year’s season-ending knee injury.

“We’re really close to camp now,” McNamara said. “The football and the conditioning and everything’s ramping up, and my body has been handling it very well. So I’m in a place where I want to be, and it’s just about maintaining that.”

The sixth-year senior quarterback also was optimistic about new offensive coordinator Tim Lester’s scheme, which has drawn comparisons to the Green Bay Packers’ system.

“I’ve loved it, honestly,” McNamara said.

He believes Lester’s heavy use of motion before the snap and during the snap — an element that was abundantly clear during Iowa’s spring open practice — can give Iowa a “huge advantage.”

“All it shows me is more information about the defense,” McNamara said. “If we’re able to attack some different leverages and catch the defense on their toes, I think it’s all great.”

McNamara was limited in what he could physically do during spring practices, so fall camp will be a critical time for him to run the offense.

“We’re starting from scratch, so it’s been a pretty big learning curve for everyone,” McNamara said. “But I think everyone’s handled it really well.”

Iowa quarterback Cade McNamara (second from right) poses for a photo with a young fan ahead of a charity softball game benefitting the Iowa chapter of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. (John Steppe/The Gazette)

Comments: john.steppe@thegazette.com

Reactions: unclesammy

No one is expecting a wide open offense. And we will still likely run the ball more than pass. However, I DO expect to see the following major changes:
  • Lester will do a much better job of putting the right players in the right spots to acheive success
  • The route trees will no longer have 2 or 3 guys stacked on top of each other, which made it easier to defend
  • More quick hit passing routes (including more to RBs) to take pressure of offensive line.
  • More pre-snap motion. I actually think the benefits of this are a little overstated, but it can't hurt.
I agree with this.

I believe we will see a much improved offense this season. This will be devastating to f5n5, but will make every other Hawk fan happy.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

On your last point...when the stat came out you might remember that Michigan was #2 in percentage of plays using motion...

I've seen a good number of people say that the primary benefit of it is it helps the offense read the D by how they shift (or don't) with you... that is a part of it but it is not the primary reason Michigan does it...

A lot of teams tip their hand by who (which personnel packages) they have in the huddle and/or how they line up at the LOS. Maybe the D doesn't know exactly what you are going to run but it indicates and shows a limited bracket on what you capable of doing in those packages. Since Sherrone Moore took over as first the co-oc and then OC (now HC) Michigan has used motion as a tool to be able to run a wide range of things no matter who we have on the field.

For example: we have a package that includes 6 OLs, 2 TEs, 1 WR and 1 RB. Normally a D would think the O is running the ball with that in the huddle...point #1 of confusion comes when Michigan breaks the huddle with the 2 TEs on the outside and the WR in the slot...point #2 of confusion comes when Michigan motions the RB back to the slot so it is now 4 wide (with the TEs on the outside)...the first time I remember this the D's back 7 was basically yelling at each other with the CBs switching with the safeties and the LBs taking a step back to help cover whatever is about to happen...in this instance Michigan snaps the ball before a safety is able to get square with TE...big gain on a throw down field to the TE. The second time I remember Michigan doing it, there is a second motion where right before the snap one of TE is set in motion towards the center of the field and turns into the lead blocker on a QB run...QB got 15 or so yards before sliding without getting touched...the 3rd time I remember it the second motion was actually bringing in the TE to a HB position...looks like we are running the QB again...but no...the TE on the other side basically plants the DB into the ground, the 6th OL pops out to cut off the LB and the edge that is following him and its an end around to that side to the WR who had taken a step back pre-snap and knifes towards the QB getting the ball and with a full head of steam hits the edge...iirc it was a TD...

We also sometimes broke the huddle with the same personnel and did exactly what you'd think...a dive play with the 2 TEs tight...but the point is Michigan did things (using motion) where the D couldn't guess what was coming...

The one thing is in order to do this you need skill guys with versatile skills... especially at the TE and RB position.... I'm pretty sure you have that covered at TE...it also helps to have a QB that can run a little...I guess that part will come after Cade

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT