ADVERTISEMENT

Cade McNamara News & Updates.

Cade is ahead of schedule recovery wise. Iowa has 2 wide receivers returning next year who caught passes in the 2023 regular season.

The story from the Gazette:

Cade McNamara gives update on knee recovery, pitch for why wide receivers should come to Iowa

McNamara’s knee recovery is ‘ahead of schedule’

John Steppe

John Steppe
Cedar Rapids Gazette
Dec. 8, 2023 5:02 pm

CEDAR RAPIDS — Cade McNamara had a "hilarious“ moment at the Boys and Girls Club’s Cedar Rapids office.

A representative from U.S. Cellular — McNamara’s NIL sponsor who donated $8,000 worth of sporting goods to the nonprofit — asked the children if they knew who McNamara was.

“No!” the kids responded in unison.

A kid later asked McNamara as he signed an item, “Do you play football?”

“Yeah, I play football,” the former third-team all-Big Ten quarterback responded.

Speaking of playing football, McNamara expressed optimism about his knee as he continues his recovery from ACL surgery earlier this season.

“Right now, I’m ahead of schedule,” McNamara said. “I’m just going to do everything I can to maintain that.”

McNamara suffered the ACL injury in Iowa’s Sept. 30 win over Michigan State and had surgery later this fall.

As McNamara spoke at the Boys and Girls Club on Friday, it was the end of the first week of the NCAA’s first transfer portal window.

At this time last year, McNamara was in the process of trying to recruit others in the transfer portal to join him and the Hawkeyes. This year is a “different situation,” McNamara said.

“But when the time comes and whatever role I can play and how the coaches see fit, I’m willing to do it,” McNamara said.

Wide receiver is among Iowa’s positional needs in this year’s transfer portal cycle. With Nico Ragaini graduating and Diante Vines leaving via the portal, the Hawkeyes only have two wide receivers returning who caught passes in the 2023 regular season.

“If they want to come here, I know I’ll do everything I can to make sure they get the ball,” McNamara said of any wide receivers in the portal.

McNamara’s portal pitch also includes his belief the Hawkeyes are “really close to winning a championship.”

That belief is despite Iowa’s 26-0 loss in the Big Ten championship game where the Hawkeyes did not sustain any drives for longer than 35 yards.

“Watching that game, I don’t think the score reflected how really close we are to that,” McNamara said.

It also is despite the elimination of divisions and the addition of four upper-tier football programs to the Big Ten next year.

In the shorter term — about 51 weeks before the next Big Ten championship game — McNamara had a few young Hawkeye skeptics to win over at the Boys and Girls Club.

“I play quarterback for the Hawkeyes,” McNamara said after learning the children did not know who he was. “Are you guys Hawkeye fans?”

“No,” the children said.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Sure seems like a great young man. I'm glad his rehab is going well and he's ahead of schedule. IMO, he doesnt possess enough talent to elevate this offense....and, unfortunately, he's proven now to be injury prone. It's concerning that both his quad injury and his recent torn ACL both occurred with no contact. Perhaps he's just unlucky.

The article mentions losing Ragaini and Vines. That's a huge "so what". Yet, here we are....no ability to attract even one decent WR to go with Brown. Get ready for more Deacon Hill (fat, slow, and plain awful) and a handful of not-very-good receivers. Hey....at least we seem to have a TE or two!

Sure seems like a great young man. I'm glad his rehab is going well and he's ahead of schedule. IMO, he doesnt possess enough talent to elevate this offense....and, unfortunately, he's proven now to be injury prone. It's concerning that both his quad injury and his recent torn ACL both occurred with no contact. Perhaps he's just unlucky.

The article mentions losing Ragaini and Vines. That's a huge "so what". Yet, here we are....no ability to attract even one decent WR to go with Brown. Get ready for more Deacon Hill (fat, slow, and plain awful) and a handful of not-very-good receivers. Hey....at least we seem to have a TE or two!
Am I the only one that remembers McNamara playing at Michigan?

Go watch the 2021 Michigan v Rutgers game. Cade elevated Michigan’s offense.

Will he be healthy? Who knows, but if he is healthy, he is a hell of a QB.

Way off, Deacon will not be playing.

Am I the only one that remembers McNamara playing at Michigan?

Go watch the 2021 Michigan v Rutgers game. Cade elevated Michigan’s offense.

Will he be healthy? Who knows, but if he is healthy, he is a hell of a QB.
But he's not healthy. He's now injury prone and that's a major concern.

Reactions: nosok23
But he's not healthy. He's now injury prone and that's a major concern.
Marco has a full Year in the system and multiple Springs and Falls by the start of next Season, Iowa with Cade and Marco is fine, Hill had better be 3/4 on the depth chart because the Fanbase will not tolerate Him at QB1 again after multiple Years of Petras before. Patience is gone for the offense and Jr High level QB play and play calling. The OC hire will show very early as will the QB playing time in the Bowl, Marco needs to get at least a Quarter or 2 in the Bowl

Does anyone know the extent of Cade's knee issues? A torn ACL oft comes with other issues and a variety of surgical remedies, some of which are easier to overcome than others. Then there is the emotional part of the recovery which is how much confidence the athlete puts into the knee. Were his three knee injuries all on the same knee?

Does anyone know the extent of Cade's knee issues? A torn ACL oft comes with other issues and a variety of surgical remedies, some of which are easier to overcome than others. Then there is the emotional part of the recovery which is how much confidence the athlete puts into the knee. Were his three knee injuries all on the same knee?
I think he has just had two knee injuries. The second injury was a quad. The knee injury at Michigan was not an ACL.

Reactions: MilleGinja
I think he has just had two knee injuries. The second injury was a quad. The knee injury at Michigan was not an ACL.
He technically had 2 but were probably related. All I've ever scene about the Mich 1 is that it was severe. Once you change the knee structure (meniscus damage for example) or worse, the knee never is perfect and when favoring it you can add stress to the other knee.

Reactions: kwik44
Marco has a full Year in the system and multiple Springs and Falls by the start of next Season, Iowa with Cade and Marco is fine, Hill had better be 3/4 on the depth chart because the Fanbase will not tolerate Him at QB1 again after multiple Years of Petras before. Patience is gone for the offense and Jr High level QB play and play calling. The OC hire will show very early as will the QB playing time in the Bowl, Marco needs to get at least a Quarter or 2 in the Bowl
I think one of the most important things for the success of the Hawkeye football team, next year and beyond, will be Lainez (or Resar) passing Hill as the backup QB.

Not only could this be important in the (likely?) event that Cade doesn’t stay healthy, but whoever becomes QB2 for 2024 will be the odds-on favorite to be QB1 in 2025. And I don’t think the thought of heading into a fresh season with our hopes pinned to Deacon Hill is particularly attractive for any of us.

He technically had 2 but were probably related. All I've ever scene about the Mich 1 is that it was severe. Once you change the knee structure (meniscus damage for example) or worse, the knee never is perfect and when favoring it you can add stress to the other knee.
MCL and Patella and they didn't see the full extent till inside, and were going over options including the cadaver junkyard per Cade Himself in exit interview from Michigan

Nice story on Cade McNamara. Some fun tidbits:

He expects to be 100% by the end of spring practice in late April.

He has two years of eligibility and is non-committal about whether he would use both.

He expects to win a B1G Championship. It's not just a goal; it's an expectation.

He’s already in Phil Parker’s ear about letting Cooper DeJean dabble on offense. “An absolute freak of nature. Our first week, we all went and shot some hoops. This dude is throwing down (dunks) lightly. His head’s above the rim and I’m just like, ‘What the heck is going on?’”

He attended the men's game vs MSU and the women's game vs IU. “I was there when Caitlin hit that shot. That was one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever been in in terms of a college event. She’s an absolute beast.”

The Full Story:

with the vast amounts of time that tv timeouts have brought to the game, it is not accurate to think a skill player can’t play both ways. There is soooooo much time for an individual to rest and recover throughout a game.

If that's what happened, never going to be right.

Right knee: prior patella tendon & MCL injuries

Left knee: currently rehabbing his ACL tear (injury occurred on Sep 30, 2023 vs Michigan State)

Here's the history of his knee issues:

In Dec, 2022, Cade did his first interview and he discussed his patella tendon & MCL injuries (both in the right knee), both of which Michigan advised against having surgery (he didn't listen to their advice). The podcast is linked at the end of this post.

Game 3 of the 2022 season is when he messed up his right knee/MCL. When evaluated, the doctors discovered a torn right patella tendon (this injury happened the PREVIOUS SEASON, in 2021, vs Michigan State). Cade looked at the YEAR OLD MRI results and was shown that the doctors missed the patella tendon tear from the prior year. Nevertheless, Cade was advised by Michigan to not get the surgery! Cade, instead, listened to his doctor in LA and got the surgery.

The entire interview:

Last edited:
Reactions: IIowaFarmBoy
I think one of the most important things for the success of the Hawkeye football team, next year and beyond, will be Lainez (or Resar) passing Hill as the backup QB.

Not only could this be important in the (likely?) event that Cade doesn’t stay healthy, but whoever becomes QB2 for 2024 will be the odds-on favorite to be QB1 in 2025. And I don’t think the thought of heading into a fresh season with our hopes pinned to Deacon Hill is particularly attractive for any of us.
Marco passed up Labas.. he’ll pass up Hill easily. The only reason he didn’t get the nod is bc he had no game prep reps as a FR while they tried to develop Hill who had practice reps unlike Labas or Marco.

You’re a moron. Site your references and sources. Hill only plays if 2 QBs go down.
Site my references and sources? I only stated my opinion....never said I have a " source" dipshit. Give us your sources that you have on the inside that say Lainez is ahead of Hill. Jeezus... you're such an idiot. Hill couldnt do shit in the championship game....and Lainez was never even remotely considered for seeing the field. He's been here all season...do you think if they had any sliver of faith in him he wouldn't have come in? You're a special kind of stupid! When Cade goes down with an injury....and he most likely will...you can bank on a whole lot of Hill after that.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
No, he had a knee or leg injury the year he played Iowa in the B1G champ game that was not diagnosed by Michigan doctors, and then another injury the next year. Thats when he found out about the injury the previous season. Then this year he strained his quad, and then the ACL. Basically he's had 4 leg injuries in three years.

No, he had a knee or leg injury the year he played Iowa in the B1G champ game that was not diagnosed by Michigan doctors, and then another injury the next year. Thats when he found out about the injury the previous season. Then this year he strained his quad, and then the ACL. Basically he's had 4 leg injuries in three years.

go up 7 posts; i think i have the timeline down.

i hope he can stay healthy in 2024!

Does Cade M still have an NIL deal or is it a two year deal? Hopefully it wasn't$1,000,000 per year!

This. It almost has to happen to the opposite to find balance again.

This. It almost has to happen to the opposite to find balance again.
i believe penix went through such a injury arc as well...that guy came back from one acl only for the other one to fail...and here we are in 2023 dude's one of the top qbs.

i believe penix went through such a injury arc as well...that guy came back from one acl only for the other one to fail...and here we are in 2023 dude's one of the top qbs.
Depends a lot on the damage and remedy. Recovery does happen. I haven't seen anywhere that the injury went beyond the tissue tear. Cade's injury info implies significant structural damage. Hope he can recover well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT