ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark gets $5 Million big 3 offer

I have never heard of Big3. I'm guessing they are trying to snag some publicity by approaching Clark. Outside of 5 million dollars I dont see the upside of her playing former NBA players.
It’s been doing good for a while. Clark would make more money there than in the WNBA so it might be a thought of do you try to grow the WNBA.

giphy.gif

Gotta be honest. If I was Clark I would seriously consider one more year of college. The amount of press and money she gets surpasses any WNBA player.

As for playing in the Big3, pass that up.

She can probably carry that press and advertising dollars with her to Indy. I mean I think I heard that the Fever sold all their season tickets really quickly with the anticipation that they would draft her.

I don't think another year of college would be good. I think most people would view it as Clark padding her college stats which would hurt her image.

I have never heard of Big3. I'm guessing they are trying to snag some publicity by approaching Clark. Outside of 5 million dollars I dont see the upside of her playing former NBA players.
I think that having everyone seeing her play against even older, retired NBA players would illustrate the sizeable difference in athleticism between the men's and women's games. I think it could really hurt women's basketball to see a direct comparison like that. Keep them as two separate sports and women's bball has a chance to grow more.

Did you ever watch the And1 Tour doc on Netflix? I think its called The Rise and Fall of And1.

Anyways, it brought back some memories, and I had no idea it was some white dudes that came up with everything for it.
No. I remember going to the And1 tour at Briar Cliff in Sioux City when I was prob like 12. In hindsight the venue is kind of funny.

Reactions: Moral and McLovin32
So part of me loves how Iowa is always in the national spotlight and the publicity and another part of me looks forward to when the circus is gone and things go back to normal.
The last part of this is the most "Iowa" thing ever lol. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just very.....Iowa.

We actually get a star athlete (home grown Iowan), that's the best ever at their specific sport, and fans get tired of it. That makes me laugh.

The last part of this is the most "Iowa" thing ever lol. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just very.....Iowa.

We actually get a star athlete (home grown Iowan), that's the best ever at their specific sport, and fans get tired of it. That makes me laugh.

Yeah, that is true haha. Although I'm saying that as someone who's been going to Iowa WBB games for years and even went to most CC games until this season. So it's mostly because I'm bitter and have had to watch on TV

Reactions: McLovin32
Yeah, that is true haha. Although I'm saying that as someone who's been going to Iowa WBB games for years and even went to most CC games until this season. So it's mostly because I'm bitter and have had to watch on TV
Lol fair enough, I can certainly understand that aspect of it.

Reactions: jaxhawk06
Lol fair enough, I can certainly understand that aspect of it.

Also, I'm not tired of CC, these 4 years have been my favorite 4 years of watching a singular sports team ever. I might even make it to a Fever game. But I'm not gonna lie I'll be relieved when the Internet gets less toxic after an Iowa game (especially if we play LSU)

She can probably carry that press and advertising dollars with her to Indy. I mean I think I heard that the Fever sold all their season tickets really quickly with the anticipation that they would draft her.

I don't think another year of college would be good. I think most people would view it as Clark padding her college stats which would hurt her image.
Maybe she can carry it over. But I could also see her becoming more average since she's a rookie and a lot of that coverage could disappear. With college, she is a lock for sellouts, monthly national games, and insane NILs, not to mention being on the front page of sports sites and magazines across the country, endless tweets about how good she is, and millions watching each of her games. None of that is guaranteed in the pros. Does the WNBA even have 3 million people watching games? Because Clark does.

Especially after already making commitments to going pro. She's making the right move and I think she seriously should look at Big3's offer as long as they can iron out the details. Get the money while she can.

Reactions: McLovin32
Just wanna say that it's REALLY funny how pissed off a bunch of African American women are on Twitter about this. They're REAL upset with Ice Cube. One lady thinks Angel Reese should have been offered, because she'd clearly be able to post up former NBA players down low.

Just wanna say that it's REALLY funny how pissed off a bunch of African American women are on Twitter about this. They're REAL upset with Ice Cube. One lady thinks Angel Reese should have been offered, because she'd clearly be able to post up former NBA players down low.
If Caitlin Clark has done one thing, she has definitely exposed certain attitudes from certain demographics. Want to be careful with my wording there.

Do you guys ever get tired of constantly hearing about this Caitlin Clark? I don't even live in Iowa and it's overkill.

We had this guy Nile Kinnick back in the day that would probably get the Patrick Mahomes treatment if he played today. Good student, great orator, respected by his peers and the media, and then opted to serve his country before the U.S. officially joined with the allies in WWII.

They would probably call him a war-monger and opportunist today.

The 21st century sucks as a way to truly measure who our role models and heroes are.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Also, I'm not tired of CC, these 4 years have been my favorite 4 years of watching a singular sports team ever. I might even make it to a Fever game. But I'm not gonna lie I'll be relieved when the Internet gets less toxic after an Iowa game (especially if we play LSU)

This is a great way to put it. I’ll never tire of Caitlin or the hype Iowa is getting. It’s deserved. But the toxicity that it brings out can be brutal. Lots of people waiting for her to fail so they can pounce.

This is a great way to put it. I’ll never tire of Caitlin or the hype Iowa is getting. It’s deserved. But the toxicity that it brings out can be brutal. Lots of people waiting for her to fail so they can pounce.
Twitter was bad before, but now it is just a cesspool of shit. I'm pretty sure the algorithm just boosts the most toxic, horrible people and posts to your feed intentionally just to get you pissed off about something. If you block one toxic asshole it just gets replaced by another one. I come to this website to not have to deal with it as much, which should tell you right there how bad it is on twitter.

Twitter was bad before, but now it is just a cesspool of shit. I'm pretty sure the algorithm just boosts the most toxic, horrible people and posts to your feed intentionally just to get you pissed off about something. If you block one toxic asshole it just gets replaced by another one. I come to this website to not have to deal with it as much, which should tell you right there how bad it is on twitter.
I can confirm this. In the last 24 hours Dan Dakich has been all over my feed despite me not following him, and none of it has been tweets that folks I know interacted with.

Reactions: Moral and BioHawk
Maybe she can carry it over. But I could also see her becoming more average since she's a rookie and a lot of that coverage could disappear. With college, she is a lock for sellouts, monthly national games, and insane NILs, not to mention being on the front page of sports sites and magazines across the country, endless tweets about how good she is, and millions watching each of her games. None of that is guaranteed in the pros. Does the WNBA even have 3 million people watching games? Because Clark does.
I have never watched men's or women's basketball (college or pro) on TV until I started watching Caitlin and the Hawkeyes last year. This year I haven't missed a game. I'll be tuning into her pro games in the beginning if they bring as much excitement as the Hawkeye women have the last few years I'll continue to watch. Caitlin could really grow the viewership of the WNBA if things go right.

Reactions: Huey Grey
I have never watched men's or women's basketball (college or pro) on TV until I started watching Caitlin and the Hawkeyes last year. This year I haven't missed a game. I'll be tuning into her pro games in the beginning if they bring as much excitement as the Hawkeye women have the last few years I'll continue to watch. Caitlin could really grow the viewership of the WNBA if things go right.
Shes going to one of the worst teams in the league. She will probably be in strong contention for ROY. But will likely face a losing season. Can this lead to massive viewership exceeding that of her last season here? IDK. Honestly I have my doubts. She definitely has a chance to revolutionize the WNBA, but it won't happen overnight. Night after night of losses will get in the way of prime time national games. My best guess is that her rookie season will have less viewership than her year right now.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I can understand that on some level but Ice Cube is offering a great deal for CC.

That could be a similar deal for someone else down the road. I think it’s hard for people to see the possible future for others and take that into account.

I’m trying to use Twitter a lot less but its a hard habit to kick. You are right on the toxic people or bots. Having random Cyclone fans’ tweets in my feed that are annoying random shots at Iowa gotten so old. Even when I select “not interested in this tweet”, they keep feeding me it. I need to find a better use of my time.

Reactions: BioHawk
Not really. It's not very often that a U of Iowa athlete breaks historic records almost on a weekly basis. And it's very possible that there will never be another athlete at Iowa like her again. Male or female.
Some old timer said Nile Kinnick was a similar national phenomenon at the time. I don’t doubt it. Maybe each is a “once in a century” Hawkeye.
I believe their season is during the WNBA offseason, and $5 million is a lot more than she'll make playing oversees during that time, which is what most WNBA players do.
THIS. Regardless if she accepts or not, I really think she will very seriously entertain the offer. Very few after going directly to a WNBA season after this. I can’t imagine the grind of a European season would hold much appeal. I also think it all comes down to her marketing potential as a global superstar. If she’s that level of famous in Europe to be a game-changer, she might go. If not, Big3 keeps her on TV in the world’s largest economic powerhouse of a country.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
I'd be seriously concerned about "cheap shots" playing LSU or SCar if they meet up.
The trash talking will be out of control and likely the physical play. The refs need to have it under control from the opening tip or it will spiral.

You can bet LSU will openly discuss getting physical and verbal as a strategy to winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT