ADVERTISEMENT

California can’t keep the lights on

Granholm said that California was leading the nation in green energy development and praised its ability to shape national energy policy, according to an interview conducted by Fox 11 Los Angeles.

“I love the fact that California is unabashedly bold about (green) energy policy,” Granholm stated, calling the state as a green “leader” for the rest of the country.
“California’s boldness has … shaped our willingness in the federal government to move further and faster,” she said of California’s green energy policies.
California's energy policy has currently left 75,000 Californians without power already...

And the state’s largest power company, PG&E Corp., said in a statement that it had notified about 525,000 homes and businesses that they could lose power for up to two hours.

So this is what the rest of America can look forward to?

Granholm said that California was leading the nation in green energy development and praised its ability to shape national energy policy, according to an interview conducted by Fox 11 Los Angeles.

California's energy policy has currently left 75,000 Californians without power already...

And the state’s largest power company, PG&E Corp., said in a statement that it had notified about 525,000 homes and businesses that they could lose power for up to two hours.

So this is what the rest of America can look forward to?
Out of a population of about 40 million people?????

Governor Abbott (and Senator Cruz) would give their left nuts for the same kind of report.

lol

Quick plug in your car! 👀

🤣
Gotchu, fam!

Y0XmOmc.png

Earlier Tuesday, CAISO had already declared an EEA 2 from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. and indicated emergency energy-saving measures were underway "such as tapping backup generators, buying more power from other states and using so-called demand response programs," according to the agency. If power reserves are exhausted, CAISO then orders the state's utilities like Pacific Gas and Electric to begin rotating outages until the demand meets available supplies.

As of 7 p.m. Tuesday, 52,409 customers were without power in the Bay Area with the most in the South Bay, where 45,061 customers had no power. The East Bay had 3,760 customers without power while the Peninsula and the North Bay each had around 1,700 customers in the dark.

If Mason City/Clear Lake had a two hour power outage, would anyone in Iowa be up in arms? That’s 40,000 people in a state of 3 million people. Now, pretend it’s 40,000 people in a state ten times bigger. Massive failure, indeed.

This thread reminds me of the endless shooting death threads where liberals run in to post about 5 people being shot and conservatives shrugging and arguing it doesn’t qualify as a mass shooting.

In this case, it’s the inverse.

Yes, it seems that competent people are managing an extreme situation. The opposite is to ignore your carbon fueled infrastructure for decades and then blame outages on green energy.

Also, to fight any money to improve infrastructure

Reactions: cigaretteman
I saw idiots referencing this and being serious about it elsewhere earlier
Season 9 Ok GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm
I've never once indicated I'm a climate change denier, though.

Regardless, it's funny the hard line CA is drawing in the sand when the ability to meet its own requirements and vision isn't anywhere near where it should be. IMO we need to find compromises and viable solutions. For my family, I'd love to keep my dino Jeep, driving it when needed and continue enjoying my offroading hobby (as I'm sure other offroaders and antique car owners would). Additionally, I'd like to make our primary vehicle electric. I'd also like to install solar panels without spending a ton of money and having to wait 8 years for the break-even point. (I'm currently researching my options for solar).

I've never once indicated I'm a climate change denier, though.

Regardless, it's funny the hard line CA is drawing in the sand when the ability to meet its own requirements and vision isn't anywhere near where it should be. IMO we need to find compromises and viable solutions. For my family, I'd love to keep my dino Jeep, driving it when needed and continue enjoying my offroading hobby (as I'm sure other offroaders and antique car owners would). Additionally, I'd like to make our primary vehicle electric. I'd also like to install solar panels without spending a ton of money and having to wait 8 years for the break-even point. (I'm currently researching my options for solar).
Biden just gave you a 30% off coupon for solar. Do it.

Gas and fossil fuel prices will only be going up. As gas demand drops with ev adoption, it's price to consumers will grow due to the expense of maintaining the massive infastructure of refineries and pipelines. Using your home solar to power your car accelerates your payoff date for both.

Even better is the fact that you own your own power source, and with a home battery, can essentially go off the grid. Why give utilities your money when you can invest the same amount in your own assets?

Biden just gave you a 30% off coupon for solar. Do it.
That's what triggered my reinvestigation.

Gas and fossil fuel prices will only be going up. As gas demand drops with ev adoption, it's price to consumers will grow due to the expense of maintaining the massive infastructure of refineries and pipelines. Using your home solar to power your car accelerates your payoff date for both.

Even better is the fact that you own your own power source, and with a home battery, can essentially go off the grid. Why give utilities your money when you can invest the same amount in your own assets?
Great info for consideration. Our other consideration factors have been how much longer we'll stay in this home as well as traveling infrastructure and EV battery replacement. My former boss owns a Tesla and LOVES it, but when he traveled from San Antonio to Lubbock, TX it was a not as smooth as he had hoped. Long story short, he wound up staying an extra day because he had to leave his car at a Best Buy parking lot with a very slow charge. He also had to plan a different route than normal due to the lack of charging options.

I believe we'll eventually get there, but I'm currently living debt free minus a mortgage, so it will take some careful planning/saving to add solar and an EV because I don't want to accrue any long-term debt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT