ADVERTISEMENT

California gonna California....

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
(CNN) — In a few years, you'll no longer be able to rely on hotels in California for those travel-size bottles of shampoo and lotion.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill Wednesday that bans hotels from supplying such bottles in an effort to reduce the number of plastic containers being thrown away by hotels and guests.

The bill, set to take effect in 2023, will apply to lodging establishments with more than 50 rooms.

Hotels with less than 50 rooms must stop using the tiny bottles by 2024.

This would not impact hospitals, nursing homes, residential retirement communities, prisons, jails or homeless shelters, according to the bill.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/shampoo-plastic-bottles-ban-trnd/index.html

Marriott is already moving to shower wall-mounted dispensers for body wash, shampoo and conditioner.

I can't imagine there's a way to give free mouthwash or skin lotion without little plastic bottles so you can kiss those freebies goodbye.

Last edited:
God Forbid they put in "dispensers" for your shampoo and soaps, right?

:eek::eek::eek:

(You know....them things that exist in virtually EVERY bathroom at things like hotel public bathrooms, convention centers, offices, etc)

Of all the things to bitch about California, this is pretty low on my list.

I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels. I like the shower dispensers. It should cut costs for the hotels from cheap bastards hoarding shampoo and lotion to take home.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Of all the things to bitch about California, this is pretty low on my list.

I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels. I like the shower dispensers. It should cut costs for the hotels from cheap bastards hoarding shampoo and lotion to take home.

I take them and drop them in a collection box at our office. We donate all those little bottles and soaps to a local organization that helps homeless people.

Must ban straws, must ban little plastic bottles, must ban . . .

trafficjam1.jpg

Reactions: Mattski
You know if we could figure out a way to reuse plastics, that would go a long way to solving the "problem."

God Forbid they put in "dispensers" for your shampoo and soaps, right?

:eek::eek::eek:

(You know....them things that exist in virtually EVERY bathroom at things like hotel public bathrooms, convention centers, offices, etc)

I don't take a shower in any of those places... :cool:

You know if we could figure out a way to reuse plastics, that would go a long way to solving the "problem."
The market for plastic recycling has totally tanked, and the volume available is stunning.
Most people have no concept of how expensive it is to landfill, nor how bruising is the fight to site a new landfill or lay a full one to rest.
Get away from single use plastics. That is only a last generation or so phenomena that has played its course.

The market for plastic recycling has totally tanked, and the volume available is stunning.
Most people have no concept of how expensive it is to landfill, nor how bruising is the fight to site a new landfill or lay a full one to rest.
Get away from single use plastics. That is only a last generation or so phenomena that has played its course.

I'm seeing wooden coffee stir sticks at hotels more and more, instead of the plastic ones.

What about single use glass and metals? And if single use plastics have played their course, why is virtually everything in a supermarket delivered in single use plastic, derived from recycled plastic?

What about single use glass and metals?
The metal should go to a salvage yard. Glass is another commodity that has a boom, bust price as a recycled product. At least it not not a toxin and is not ingested by marine life.
Some landfills use it as the daily cover requirement that is supposed keep down vermin and wind blown trash. Other times it is used in place of gravel for road projects.
BTW, refillable milk bottles has become a thing again in some places.

Last edited:

Plus, those homeless shelters you donate plastic hotel bottles to rarely end up in any recycling bins. Homeless folks don't have access to your "home" or "office" recycling bins.

Additionally, you waste a significant fraction of the soap or shampoo in the bottoms of those tiny bottles, compared with dispensers. Completely inefficient source of toiletries for poor/homeless. But, it makes Trad "feel good".

Plus, those homeless shelters you donate plastic hotel bottles to rarely end up in any recycling bins. Homeless folks don't have access to your "home" or "office" recycling bins.

Additionally, you waste a significant fraction of the soap or shampoo in the bottoms of those tiny bottles, compared with dispensers. Completely inefficient source of toiletries for poor/homeless. But, it makes Trad "feel good".

Where are homeless people going to find a shower with a wall dispenser?

FUNFACT: Dispensers in showers work the same way they do at sinks where you wash your hands.

At Four Points properties, the wall-mounted stuff has a "green tea tree" formula that smells like menthol and makes your scalp tingle.

I like having a bottle of shampoo from somewhere else instead of using that shit.

Where did you expect them to find a shower to use the teeny bottle of shampoo you gave them?

They go to hotel pools and use that outdoor shower, dummy.

I've seen it many times. They creep around early in the morning when no one is out there.

At Four Points properties, the wall-mounted stuff has a "green tea tree" formula that smells like menthol and makes your scalp tingle.

I like having a bottle of shampoo from somewhere else instead of using that shit.

FUNFACT: You can buy travel bottles at Target, and take your own shampoo from home if you don't like 'green tea tree' formula.

FUNFACT II: You can reuse one of the bottles you already have to refill with your own shampoo, too.

FUNFACT: You can buy travel bottles at Target, and take your own shampoo from home if you don't like 'green tea tree' formula.

FUNFACT II: You can reuse one of the bottles you already have to refill with your own shampoo, too.

Too much work. Sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT