ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Fens Unofficially Visited the Weekend of Oct 17, 2021. Class of 2022, 6'10" Center

See the link to Tom's story below.

As you can see:

* Iowa started their recruitment of Fens about a month ago

* Iowa coaches went a couple times (Fran, the 2nd time) to watch him practice.

* Iowa is his dream school

* During his visit, Fran gave him tips on how to continue to improve his recruitment.

* Right now Iowa is not offering a scholarship, but they will be continuing to recruit him and watch him this season. and see where things stand in the spring.

LINK: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/in-state-big-man-on-iowa-s-radar

Offer coming?

Maybe.

For those who did not read the article, on Dec 11, Dubuque Hempstead 2022 center Cameron Fens scored 21 points in their loss to Rock Island, IL.

Fran (and Jack) was in attendance.

FGX2cRZXMAwnOhJ

Last edited:
Maybe.

For those who did not read the article, on Dec 11, Dubuque Hempstead 2022 center Cameron Fens scored 21 points in their loss to Rock Island, IL.

Fran (and Jack) was in attendance.

FGX2cRZXMAwnOhJ

A senior guard for Rock Island, Amarion Nimmers, scored 45 points in that game, but is apparently just a mid-major recruit at best.

• Wow
Reactions: Slim45
See the link to Tom's story below.

As you can see:

* Iowa started their recruitment of Fens about a month ago

* Iowa coaches went a couple times (Fran, the 2nd time) to watch him practice.

* Iowa is his dream school

* During his visit, Fran gave him tips on how to continue to improve his recruitment.

* Right now Iowa is not offering a scholarship, but they will be continuing to recruit him and watch him this season. and see where things stand in the spring.

LINK: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/in-state-big-man-on-iowa-s-radar

Fran giving him 3pt shooting tips like he did for CMAC and PMAC?

Were they noted 3-pt shooters?
Did you not respond about Fran teaching his kids how to shoot? You brought up 3 very good shooters for the Hawks. I noted 4 that were not. Ogelsby was supposed to be good.

Did you not respond about Fran teaching his kids how to shoot? You brought up 3 very good shooters for the Hawks. I noted 4 that were not. Ogelsby was supposed to be good.
The post I replied to was regarding 3 pt shooting. Can you name any coach who can teach ALL of their players to be good 3-pt shooters? Sometimes players just don't have the natural ability to shoot the 3 pt shot consistently well. My examples were meant to add balance regarding the post I replied to. What was the purpose of your post? To troll me?

The way I took it you were trying to show Fran's ability to teach shooters because someone posted his own boys can't shoot. You picked 3 players that were pretty good shooters coming in. I picked 3 that were not and were not taught to be good shooters and one that was supposed to a good shooter and was not for Iowa. I was trying to add balance to your post, is that not fair?

The way I took it you were trying to show Fran's ability to teach shooters because someone posted his own boys can't shoot. You picked 3 players that were pretty good shooters coming in. I picked 3 that were not and were not taught to be good shooters and one that was supposed to a good shooter and was not for Iowa. I was trying to add balance to your post, is that not fair?
Again, it was specifically about 3-pt shooting so no, your post made little sense. Here is the original post I replied to:
Fran giving him 3pt shooting tips like he did for CMAC and PMAC?
Why even bring this up except to troll Iowa fans?

There are cases of some players getting better and some getting worse at consistently scoring from the 3 pt line. Most of that is on the players themselves or their natural talent. But I am sure that the staff tries to help them improve. Do you think they don't?

Reactions: perryhawk
You win, weren't trying to show that Fran coaches good shooters. You are of course correct that some have it and some don't. My hope, like yours, is that our staff does try and help players be better shooters.

Reactions: BBHawk
You win, weren't trying to show that Fran coaches good shooters. You are of course correct that some have it and some don't. My hope, like yours, is that our staff does try and help players be better shooters.
Unfortunately I think it relates more to recruiting than coaching. It's rare that a poor 3-pt shooter comes out of HS and becomes a great shooter. Of course, there are examples where extreme dedication and hard work can make a difference. But not sure how often we will see that at Iowa. 🙁

Unfortunately I think it relates more to recruiting than coaching. It's rare that a poor 3-pt shooter comes out of HS and becomes a great shooter. Of course, there are examples where extreme dedication and hard work can make a difference. But not sure how often we will see that at Iowa. 🙁
What's interesting to me is how much of a decline Connor McCaffery has had. As a senior in HS he shot 41% from behind the arc (57/139), and 83.6% from the line (143/171).

You wonder what the heck has happened to him in that domain.

I see he’s unrated at this point. Is he a bit of a late bloomer in your opinion?

I don't handle any of the rankings with Rivals. Basically if the folks who do the eval and rankings saw him last year they could give him a star value. Now, I think he's been completely overlooked. He has a big frame, not a skinny kid, but he's also gotten into better shape. Honestly, he probably should have plenty of mid-major offers already, but it's taken time. Now he has mid major and high major schools kicking the tires.

Cameron is an Iowa fan, so he's partial to the Hawkeyes. He's going to stay patient with the process and see what happens. My sense is Iowa's going to have something for him to consider this spring.

Reactions: mstp1992
I don't handle any of the rankings with Rivals. Basically if the folks who do the eval and rankings saw him last year they could give him a star value. Now, I think he's been completely overlooked. He has a big frame, not a skinny kid, but he's also gotten into better shape. Honestly, he probably should have plenty of mid-major offers already, but it's taken time. Now he has mid major and high major schools kicking the tires.

Cameron is an Iowa fan, so he's partial to the Hawkeyes. He's going to stay patient with the process and see what happens. My sense is Iowa's going to have something for him to consider this spring.
Thanks! I remember his dad playing for NIU Huskies late 80s early 90s and being pretty impressed with him during his junior and senior years. If Cameron had a similar success, I'd be okay with it.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
What's interesting to me is how much of a decline Connor McCaffery has had. As a senior in HS he shot 41% from behind the arc (57/139), and 83.6% from the line (143/171).

You wonder what the heck has happened to him in that domain.
With the 3 point line being shorter in high school, not that big of a surprise. His form really kills him shooting the basketball at a consistent percentage.

On January 25 Cameron got his first D1 offer (Western Illinois).

South Dakota was in to watch him last night.

For the season he is averaging 18.6 points and 10.8 rebounds per game.

No offense to the young man, but we need to be pursuing (and landing!) bigger fish if we are going to compete in the B1G. Whatever we are doing now in the name of recruiting, needs to be scrapped and McCaffery needs to hire a younger (or at least persuasive) guy that can relate to and entice some better players to give Iowa a shot.

Tom lists Cameron as 2023; but he's 2022 unless he's going to Prep School (he participated in Senior Night on Feb 18).

Cameron has 1 offer: Western Illinois

His previous 2 visits to Iowa: Jan 27, 2022 & Oct 17, 2021

Last edited:
I haven't see any tape on him. Can he shoot it from outside, ala Kriener?

As you can see below, Cameron Fens is averaging 19.3 ppg this season.

Cameron currently has 1 offer:
Western Illinois

He's made 3 visits to Iowa:
Feb 22, 2022
Jan 27, 2022
Oct 17, 2021

Here are some recent video highlights.

Check these out & Watch:

Reactions: Stormn Norman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT