ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Fens Unofficially Visited the Weekend of Oct 17, 2021. Class of 2022, 6'10" Center

Pretty much across the board, not to mention he's filled out quite a bit.
Is he faster than last year? Is he quicker than last year?

The filling out part is fine, but there is currently 1 post on the roster with potential, Mulvey, and he is still likely a year+ out from being a starting center. The roster needs upgrades and players ready to play day 1 on campus, not those that need a few years to get some cement out of their shoes. Does he fit that description?

I'm all for this kid walking on at Iowa, but unless he's had some tremendous updates to his speed and quickness, I don't see a need for an offer. Which means Fran will offer.

I don’t understand why we need so many bigs on the roster. If Fens comes in next year, we will have Rebraca, Mulvey, Ogundele and Fens all on board, with Freeman set to arrive the following year. If he reclassifies to the following year, we will have Mulvey, Ogundele, Freeman, and Fens all on the roster at the same time

Unless Fran sees one of either Mulvey or Ogundele transferring (which is a possibility), anything greater than a PWO opportunity for Fens doesn’t make sense to me. We are set at the 5 for the foreseeable future

Reactions: BBHawk
I don’t understand why we need so many bigs on the roster. If Fens comes in next year, we will have Rebraca, Mulvey, Ogundele and Fens all on board, with Freeman set to arrive the following year. If he reclassifies to the following year, we will have Mulvey, Ogundele, Freeman, and Fens all on the roster at the same time

Unless Fran sees one of either Mulvey or Ogundele transferring (which is a possibility), anything greater than a PWO opportunity for Fens doesn’t make sense to me. We are set at the 5 for the foreseeable future
We aren't really set just have alot of bodies. The athletic 6'8 6'9 scorer is what's needed. ie see the twins.

We aren't really set just have alot of bodies. The athletic 6'8 6'9 scorer is what's needed. ie see the twins.
Agreed on your 6’8/6’9 athletic scorer, but if we don’t have capable contributors, then bring in grad transfers as needed. Is another freshman big who will take time to develop into a Big Ten caliber player the answer? Nothing against Fens individually (I haven’t seen him play at all), but like I said, I wouldn’t understand the rationale for anything more than a PWO spot unless Fran sees somebody not panning out

Is he faster than last year? Is he quicker than last year?

The filling out part is fine, but there is currently 1 post on the roster with potential, Mulvey, and he is still likely a year+ out from being a starting center. The roster needs upgrades and players ready to play day 1 on campus, not those that need a few years to get some cement out of their shoes. Does he fit that description?

I'm all for this kid walking on at Iowa, but unless he's had some tremendous updates to his speed and quickness, I don't see a need for an offer. Which means Fran will offer.
Oh, I'm not saying Fran should offer him a full ride (at least certainly not yet). I'm just impressed with his overall improvement physically and skill-wise from last year. I could be wrong, but he seems like he's developing into a decent Summit League type of post player. Last season I saw him more of a good D3 possibly D2 player.

He could also potentially use a year at prep school to really hone his skills.

Oh, I'm not saying Fran should offer him a full ride (at least certainly not yet). I'm just impressed with his overall improvement physically and skill-wise from last year. I could be wrong, but he seems like he's developing into a decent Summit League type of post player. Last season I saw him more of a good D3 possibly D2 player.

I like the idea of a prep school for a year to see how he develops, especially since he'd likely be working on all things related to speed. I like his size, but I don't want to see a plodding, or semi plodding C out there when the team is running around.

It will be interesting to watch which offers come in for him in the coming months, that should be rather telling. If the bar is just looking at measurables, all coaches will see his height and weight as a plus.

i still wonder if that is why Tom said he was 2023

Reactions: mstp1992

I saw him play in person a couple of weeks ago and I don't think he is ready right now to play at a high major program. More of a mid-major program.

I saw him play in person a couple of weeks ago and I don't think he is ready right now to play at a high major program. More of a mid-major program.
My thoughts exactly. I saw him play in person as well. He’s a big bodied dude, decent athlete and rim protector, nice touch from the line, but offensively his game (in my limited sample size) is basically 6’ and in. I’m not bashing the kid at all, but he lacks the foot speed and athleticism to defend in a P5 conference. Expanding his range offensively and his lateral movement defensively would greatly improve his stock. Good player but I would rather Iowa not offer.

Reactions: mstp1992
My thoughts exactly. I saw him play in person as well. He’s a big bodied dude, decent athlete and rim protector, nice touch from the line, but offensively his game (in my limited sample size) is basically 6’ and in. I’m not bashing the kid at all, but he lacks the foot speed and athleticism to defend in a P5 conference. Expanding his range offensively and his lateral movement defensively would greatly improve his stock. Good player but I would rather Iowa not offer.
I’m from Dubuque originally and love to see kids from there be successful; but I see him as a project and Iowa already has 2 projects at C now. No way would I offer a scholarship at this point. Will need a proven big from the portal for next year if Iowa wants to maintain current success level

I’m thinking Owen Freeman might be playing a stretch 4 when he arrives
He'll be another pick and pop 4, more like Nunge than Luka. He's big and long and seems pretty strong, too. MI State wanted him so I was glad to see the Hawks spank the Izzos this year. Helps that he'll be signing in the fall (🤞). He has a hell of an offer list!

Just ****ing offer him the open scholly

Weird how no other major program is in on this guy, not even UNI.
Part of that may be due to the fact that UNI is essentially starting 5 guards and/or forwards. Phyfe doesn’t play much although part of that has to due to Covid/injury. They have a different offensive philosophy than they have in years past. I wouldn’t be surprised if they offer at some point but I don’t think that’s imminent.

Let's replace one project player (Josh O) with another project player (Fens). That would be 3-4 seasons of no real post presence to worry about for the opposing teams. Rebraca ain't it. Jelly ain't it. Mulvey may not be it for 2 years.

One thing to note: now that EVERYONE coming back for 2022-2023 counts against the 13 scholarship limit, that impacted some 2022 high school seniors who might have otherwise gotten a D1 scholarship opportunity (or in Cameron's case, a better D1 scholarship opportunity). Cameron only ended up with 2 D1 scholarship offers; the other one was Western Illinois. Iowa was watching him; they just didn't pull the trigger. Therefore, I think Cameron is the type of player that should have gotten more than 2 not exactly exciting offers.

Sure, Illinois Chicago (14-16 last year, Horizon League) is a D1 school and Chicago is a fun city but they finished ranked #287 out of 358 teams, per KenPom. Which also means we will probably schedule Illinois Chicago next season. ;)

One thing to note: now that EVERYONE coming back for 2022-2023 counts against the 13 scholarship limit, that impacted some 2022 high school seniors who might have otherwise gotten a D1 scholarship opportunity (or in Cameron's case, a better D1 scholarship opportunity). Cameron only ended up with 2 D1 scholarship offers; the other one was Western Illinois. Iowa was watching him; they just didn't pull the trigger. Therefore, I think Cameron is the type of player that should have gotten more than 2 not exactly exciting offers.

Sure, Illinois Chicago (14-16 last year, Horizon League) is a D1 school and Chicago is a fun city but they finished ranked #287 out of 358 teams, per KenPom. Which also means we will probably schedule Illinois Chicago next season. ;)
#287? No need to get that tough of a challenge in the pre season :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT