ADVERTISEMENT

Can’t nobody tell me there is anything wrong with Carver Hawkeye Arena ever again.

This place is jumpin’!
It’s jumping due to amazing fans that energy is a response to the best women’s basketball team Iowa may ever have.

If its layout was more like traditional basketball focused arena it would be even more deafening.

Multi focus arenas whether it’s hockey and basketball like old Milwaukee bucks arena aren’t ideal imo.

Carver is great for wrestling and good for basketball. But something like Ryan Welsh after remodel is nearly perfect design.

But regardless of they move students, or reduce empty space behind baskets, one improvement the athletic department would very much prefer to have is be able to offer some modern suites. Hard to say what they’re willing to invest to make that happen.

Illinois game next week should be packed and just as loud.

I agree, but I am worried that Illinois fans were buying up tickets in recent weeks from the Iowa fans that were not showing up for games. Illinois always brings a large crowd.

Wrong. Mens BB is playing at a high level right now. It hasn't been as full in part bc the women's team is likely competing for people's time and dime.
What?! The men had great teams the last 5 years or so. They never got near the same support as the women. People are sick of Fran, the early outs in the dance, wasting elite talent, etc.

It’s jumping due to amazing fans that energy is a response to the best women’s basketball team Iowa may ever have.

If its layout was more like traditional basketball focused arena it would be even more deafening.

Multi focus arenas whether it’s hockey and basketball like old Milwaukee bucks arena aren’t ideal imo.

Carver is great for wrestling and good for basketball. But something like Ryan Welsh after remodel is nearly perfect design.

But regardless of they move students, or reduce empty space behind baskets, one improvement the athletic department would very much prefer to have is be able to offer some modern suites. Hard to say what they’re willing to invest to make that happen.
Just like CC's records there is always someone tossing out a new theory, a new criterion, why this is not really this or this not really that. Crowd was heavily involved in the game just like Dr. Tom's men's teams in the mid 80's.

Most would argue that there isn't anything wrong with the noise. The same would argue to put the students closer to the floor. Cheers and GO HAWKS!

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
There are myriad improvements that can (and should) be made to CHA but product on the floor has been the number one issue. Iowa fans have just become so jaded toward the men's program after 20-plus years of heartbreak and horrific post-season results.
I agree with all of this. And I’ll add that I think there was a sizable portion of the fanbase that walked away after the Pierre Pierce debacle and never came back.

Wrestling is deafening, women’s bball has been deafening, mens bball is not. Not hard to see the coorelation between the first 2. Men’s bball has moments but overall not consistently good, and honestly they’re the 3rd most wanted tickets in that arena.

Give students cheaper seats and more seats and put them down by the court in a semi circle or so from basket to basket

But more of them and lower. It is their current team

And of course winnning bball helps
I would love that—as long as they actually show up.

What?! The men had great teams the last 5 years or so. They never got near the same support as the women. People are sick of Fran, the early outs in the dance, wasting elite talent, etc.
The men's team would have packed arenas as well if Clark were a man doing what she is doing in men's BB.

The crowd discrepancy is not because people hate Fran as you suspect.. It is because we have a once in a lifetime player in Iowa City. MJ of women's basketball basically.

The crowds and ticket prices will come back to earth next year. I do suspect that her time her will have a lasting impact on women's attendance here and elsewhere the days of 500/seat tickets are gone after she leaves.

Time, yes. I went to the Penn St. game paying $6 and that's only cause the fees were so high. The ticket was $1.
How much were beers? :) I dont know about you but the 1 dollar ticket pales in comparison to the 10 dollar beers.

Wrestling is deafening, women’s bball has been deafening, mens bball is not. Not hard to see the coorelation between the first 2. Men’s bball has moments but overall not consistently good, and honestly they’re the 3rd most wanted tickets in that arena.
This is because the rabid wrestling fan is one beer away from starting a brawl. Of course they are loud.

Id guess the pool of people that men's BB draws from is way higher than men's wrestling. And there are likely way more old big money people sitting courtside at BB games. Thats what needs to change IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT