ADVERTISEMENT

Can Anything Be Done to Assuage Rural Rage?

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Paul Krugman
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
Rural resentment has become a central fact of American politics — in particular, a pillar of support for the rise of right-wing extremism. As the Republican Party has moved ever further into MAGAland, it has lost votes among educated suburban voters; but this has been offset by a drastic rightward shift in rural areas, which in some places has gone so far that the Democrats who remain face intimidation and are afraid to reveal their party affiliation.
But is this shift permanent? Can anything be done to assuage rural rage?
The answer will depend on two things: whether it’s possible to improve rural lives and restore rural communities, and whether the voters in these communities will give politicians credit for any improvements that do take place.
This week my colleague Thomas B. Edsall surveyed research on the rural Republican shift. I was struck by his summary of work by Katherine J. Cramer, who attributes rural resentment to perceptions that rural areas are ignored by policymakers, don’t get their fair share of resources and are disrespected by “city folks.”
As it happens, all three perceptions are largely wrong. I’m sure that my saying this will generate a tidal wave of hate mail, and lecturing rural Americans about policy reality isn’t going to move their votes. Nonetheless, it’s important to get our facts straight.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The truth is that ever since the New Deal rural America has received special treatment from policymakers. It’s not just farm subsidies, which ballooned under Donald Trump to the point where they accounted for around 40 percent of total farm income. Rural America also benefits from special programs that support housing, utilities and business in general.
In terms of resources, major federal programs disproportionately benefit rural areas, in part because such areas have a disproportionate number of seniors receiving Social Security and Medicare. But even means-tested programs — programs that Republicans often disparage as “welfare” — tilt rural. Notably, at this point rural Americans are more likely than urban Americans to be on Medicaid and receive food stamps.
And because rural America is poorer than urban America, it pays much less per person in federal taxes, so in practice major metropolitan areas hugely subsidize the countryside. These subsidies don’t just support incomes, they support economies: Government and the so-called health care and social assistance sector each employ more people in rural America than agriculture, and what do you think pays for those jobs?
What about rural perceptions of being disrespected? Well, many people have negative views about people with different lifestyles; that’s human nature. There is, however, an unwritten rule in American politics that it’s OK for politicians to seek rural votes by insulting big cities and their residents, but it would be unforgivable for urban politicians to return the favor. “I have to go to New York City soon,” tweeted J.D. Vance during his senatorial campaign. “I have heard it’s disgusting and violent there.” Can you imagine, say, Chuck Schumer saying something similar about rural Ohio, even as a joke?
So the ostensible justifications for rural resentment don’t withstand scrutiny — but that doesn’t mean things are fine. A changing economy has increasingly favored metropolitan areas with large college-educated work forces over small towns. The rural working-age population has been declining, leaving seniors behind. Rural men in their prime working years are much more likely than their metropolitan counterparts to not be working. Rural woes are real.
Advertisement

Ironically, however, the policy agenda of the party most rural voters support would make things even worse, slashing the safety-net programs these voters depend on. And Democrats shouldn’t be afraid to point this out.
But can they also have a positive agenda for rural renewal? As The Washington Post’s Greg Sargent recently pointed out, the infrastructure spending bills enacted under President Biden, while primarily intended to address climate change, will also create large numbers of blue-collar jobs in rural areas and small cities. They are, in practice, a form of the “place-based industrial policy” some economists have urged to fight America’s growing geographic disparities.
Will they work? The economic forces that have been hollowing out rural America are deep and not easily countered. But it’s certainly worth trying.
But even if these policies improve rural fortunes, will Democrats get any credit? It’s easy to be cynical. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the new governor of Arkansas, has pledged to get the “bureaucratic tyrants” of Washington “out of your wallets”; in 2019 the federal government spent almost twice as much in Arkansas as it collected in taxes, de facto providing the average Arkansas resident with $5,500 in aid. So even if Democratic policies greatly improve rural lives, will rural voters notice?
Still, anything that helps reverse rural America’s decline would be a good thing in itself. And maybe, just maybe, reducing the heartland’s economic desperation will also help reverse its political radicalization.

What a condescending pos. He and his ilk are the reason for so called rural rage. Disagreeing with elite coastal snobs like this one isn't rage and once again you don't get to define the best interests and values of other people.

elite coastal snobs.
Yet their god is somehow this guy:

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F4c3a4276-9be7-11e6-b8c6-568a43813464

What a condescending pos. He and his ilk are the reason for so called rural rage. Disagreeing with elite coastal snobs like this one isn't rage and once again you don't get to define the best interests and values of other people.
LOL...spoken like the moran you are. Why don't you quote where he "defined" their best interests beyond trying to pump tax dollars into rural areas.

Paul Krugman
By Paul Krugman
Opinion Columnist
Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
Rural resentment has become a central fact of American politics — in particular, a pillar of support for the rise of right-wing extremism. As the Republican Party has moved ever further into MAGAland, it has lost votes among educated suburban voters; but this has been offset by a drastic rightward shift in rural areas, which in some places has gone so far that the Democrats who remain face intimidation and are afraid to reveal their party affiliation.
But is this shift permanent? Can anything be done to assuage rural rage?
The answer will depend on two things: whether it’s possible to improve rural lives and restore rural communities, and whether the voters in these communities will give politicians credit for any improvements that do take place.
This week my colleague Thomas B. Edsall surveyed research on the rural Republican shift. I was struck by his summary of work by Katherine J. Cramer, who attributes rural resentment to perceptions that rural areas are ignored by policymakers, don’t get their fair share of resources and are disrespected by “city folks.”
As it happens, all three perceptions are largely wrong. I’m sure that my saying this will generate a tidal wave of hate mail, and lecturing rural Americans about policy reality isn’t going to move their votes. Nonetheless, it’s important to get our facts straight.
Advertisement

The truth is that ever since the New Deal rural America has received special treatment from policymakers. It’s not just farm subsidies, which ballooned under Donald Trump to the point where they accounted for around 40 percent of total farm income. Rural America also benefits from special programs that support housing, utilities and business in general.
In terms of resources, major federal programs disproportionately benefit rural areas, in part because such areas have a disproportionate number of seniors receiving Social Security and Medicare. But even means-tested programs — programs that Republicans often disparage as “welfare” — tilt rural. Notably, at this point rural Americans are more likely than urban Americans to be on Medicaid and receive food stamps.
And because rural America is poorer than urban America, it pays much less per person in federal taxes, so in practice major metropolitan areas hugely subsidize the countryside. These subsidies don’t just support incomes, they support economies: Government and the so-called health care and social assistance sector each employ more people in rural America than agriculture, and what do you think pays for those jobs?
What about rural perceptions of being disrespected? Well, many people have negative views about people with different lifestyles; that’s human nature. There is, however, an unwritten rule in American politics that it’s OK for politicians to seek rural votes by insulting big cities and their residents, but it would be unforgivable for urban politicians to return the favor. “I have to go to New York City soon,” tweeted J.D. Vance during his senatorial campaign. “I have heard it’s disgusting and violent there.” Can you imagine, say, Chuck Schumer saying something similar about rural Ohio, even as a joke?
So the ostensible justifications for rural resentment don’t withstand scrutiny — but that doesn’t mean things are fine. A changing economy has increasingly favored metropolitan areas with large college-educated work forces over small towns. The rural working-age population has been declining, leaving seniors behind. Rural men in their prime working years are much more likely than their metropolitan counterparts to not be working. Rural woes are real.
Advertisement

Ironically, however, the policy agenda of the party most rural voters support would make things even worse, slashing the safety-net programs these voters depend on. And Democrats shouldn’t be afraid to point this out.
But can they also have a positive agenda for rural renewal? As The Washington Post’s Greg Sargent recently pointed out, the infrastructure spending bills enacted under President Biden, while primarily intended to address climate change, will also create large numbers of blue-collar jobs in rural areas and small cities. They are, in practice, a form of the “place-based industrial policy” some economists have urged to fight America’s growing geographic disparities.
Will they work? The economic forces that have been hollowing out rural America are deep and not easily countered. But it’s certainly worth trying.
But even if these policies improve rural fortunes, will Democrats get any credit? It’s easy to be cynical. Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the new governor of Arkansas, has pledged to get the “bureaucratic tyrants” of Washington “out of your wallets”; in 2019 the federal government spent almost twice as much in Arkansas as it collected in taxes, de facto providing the average Arkansas resident with $5,500 in aid. So even if Democratic policies greatly improve rural lives, will rural voters notice?
Still, anything that helps reverse rural America’s decline would be a good thing in itself. And maybe, just maybe, reducing the heartland’s economic desperation will also help reverse its political radicalization.

Umm sorry but it's pretty common among liberals to insult rural areas. Maybe the politicians zip their lips about insulting rural areas better than most but that doesn't change the fact that many liberals also blatently look down on rural areas.

Farm net income has exceeded all prior years in 2021-22 under Biden.
Farmers seem to resent Democratic pols despite the fact that they do better under dem presidents. Prior record net income came in 2010-2012 under Obama.
Farmers always claim they want to earn their income thru open markets rather than a handout from the govt....like the 40 billion Trump gave them due to loss of markets after Trump's trade war w China.
Under Biden they are getting what they claim to want...still dislike him....this leaves progressives wondering what motivates these voters. Not looking down on them, just confused .....not the same

Can you refute a single fact he laid out?

For example, do you have evidence that he is wrong that rural counties access Medicare and food stamps at a higher per capita rate than urban ones?

Is it not true that Arkansas receives more in federal benefits than it contributes in taxes?

You may not like the message or the messenger, but the facts are the facts.

Good luck convincing anyone that they've been angry at the wrong thing. That's similar to being duped, to "falling for it", it's embarrassing and who wants to experience that?

Look at hawkedoff, it's much easier to remain or even amp up the bitterness, resentment and grievances.

Rural voters prefer to wage cultural wars instead of considering policy and laws that affect them, that's the hard part. It's much easier to get emotional and blame others for their hardships. The Republicans are very good at blaming Democrats for everything and the Democrats are absolutely inept at messaging and treating Republicans with kid gloves.

Umm sorry but it's pretty common among liberals to insult rural areas. Maybe the politicians zip their lips about insulting rural areas better than most but that doesn't change the fact that many liberals also blatently look down on rural areas.
Not nearly as often as conservatives pillory cities as dens of murder, crime and rampant "wokeness"

Mention the word "Chicago" anywhere on social media (or here), and you'll see what I mean.

Not nearly as often as conservatives pillory cities as dens of murder, crime and rampant "wokeness"

Mention the word "Chicago" anywhere on social media (or here), and you'll see what I mean.

No I agree, especially lately but to act like this is entirely one sided is wrong.

I look down on imbeciles who refuse to better themselves. Unfortunately that's a lot of the rural population these days, but not all. Still some good people in my hometown.

Good luck convincing anyone that they've been angry at the wrong thing. That's similar to being duped, to "falling for it", it's embarrassing and who wants to experience that?

Look at hawkedoff, it's much easier to remain or even amp up the bitterness, resentment and grievances.
Flick the anger nipple over and over until it's raw. Unfortunately, there is often no coming back form that once you become addicted.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
You are correct sir.

To further dive into the weeds, it feels like from the Left it's condescension and distaste and from the Right it's fear and loathing. Both are unhelpful.

I agree the right often tries to make cities sound like lawless wastelands which is quite ridiculous.

They are however careful to only attack cities in states that they have no chance at winning. So cities in Cali, Illinois, and NY are the most popular targets. Don't want to go after the cities in red states or cities in swing states even when statistics show these cities to have greater crime issues.

I agree the right often tries to make cities sound like lawless wastelands which is quite ridiculous.

They are however careful to only attack cities in states that they have no chance at winning. So cities in Cali, Illinois, and NY are the most popular targets. Don't want to go after the cities in red states or cities in swing states even when statistics show these cities to have greater crime issues.
Yeah, and often the big cities in red states have even WORSE violent crime than those in blue states (and note, unlike Republicans, I'm not saying it's BECAUSE they are red states --- rather, it likely has more to do with other socieconomic stressors)

Just look at the Top 12:

1. St. Louis, MO (2,082) (RED STATE)
  2. Detroit, MI (2,057) (BLUE/PURPLE STATE)
  3. Baltimore, MD (2,027) (BLUE STATE)
  4. Memphis, TN (2,003) (RED STATE)
  5. Little Rock, AR (1,634) (RED STATE)
  6. Milwaukee, WI (1,597) (BLUE/PURPLE STATE)
  7. Rockford, IL (1,588) (BLUE STATE)
  8. Cleveland, OH (1,557) (RED STATE)
  9. Stockton, CA (1,415) (BLUE STATE)
  10. Albuquerque, NM (1,369) (BLUE/PURPLE STATE)
  11. Springfield, MO (1,339) (RED STATE)
  12. Indianapolis, IN (1,334) (RED STATE)

Interesting that neither New York, Chicago or L.A. --- the Triumvirate of Hate for Republicans --- don't even crack the Top 12.

That's because they're full of stinky dumb methheads and lazy good-for-nothing cousin fuhkers.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee
The irony of this thread is hilarious. Keep going lefty folks. Let's hear more about facts and how dumb rural people are and how they are all taking handouts. I love the standard red states take more than they pay in as if that hasn't been a manipulated talking point.

Reactions: goldmom
The irony of this thread is hilarious. Keep going lefty folks. Let's hear more about facts and how dumb rural people are and how they are all taking handouts. I love the standard red states take more than they pay in as if that hasn't been a manipulated talking point.
We are still waiting for you to refute A SINGLE fact Krugman wrote.

But we aren't in expectation you will produce.

I would also like to hear him explain the irony that he finds hilarious. There's nothing ironic about a bitter, resentful and - presumably rural - poster like hawkedoff being bitter and resentful in a thread about rural rage. That's entirely expected.

I would also like to hear him explain the irony that he finds hilarious. There's nothing ironic about a bitter, resentful and - presumably rural - poster like hawkedoff being bitter and resentful in a thread about rural rage. That's entirely expected.
Literally, the opposite of irony.

Which, if we are being meta, may actually be ironic.

And now I am confused ;)

Name one factor he did write. Everything he wrote is bullshit based on his perceptions as an elitist east.coast prick. And you lick his balls because you want to be just like him....but aren't. Jesus could you be more of a pathetic fanboy

Name one factor he did write. Everything he wrote is bullshit based on his perceptions as an elitist east.coast prick. And you lick his balls because you want to be just like him....but aren't. Jesus could you be more of a pathetic fanboy
You are an unserious person. Good luck competing and existing in the coming world.

Yeah, and often the big cities in red states have even WORSE violent crime than those in blue states (and note, unlike Republicans, I'm not saying it's BECAUSE they are red states --- rather, it likely has more to do with other socieconomic stressors)

Just look at the Top 12:

Interesting that neither New York, Chicago or L.A. --- the Triumvirate of Hate for Republicans --- don't even crack the Top 12.
I have no dog in this fight but might want to link stat's that are correct to date, form reading some of that article sure look like thats from 2017 not 2023

When I first joined HROT, I went to some pretty significant lengths to relay my experiences living in LA, Chicago, SF and NYC and how completely inconsistent my experience has been regarding this idea that coastal libs look down on rural Americans. My experience is actually the opposite, that urban coastal “elites” actually hold rural Americans — farmers, especially — in very high regard, even expressing embarrassment at their relative lack of “real” life skills.

Fell on deaf ears.

Are you suffering from some sort of identity complex? Or did you have a bad experience in a large metro area that left you feeling inadequate? Sheesh, this really elicited an emotional response out of you.

Just look at the Top 12:

Bud, Almost all those cities you listed are Democrat run cities, even those sitting in red states. So whether or not the state is red, it doesn’t mean it’s metro areas are red.

But to your point, just change a little bit of the wording and you could write the exact same article and title it “Can anything be done to calm Urban Umbrage?”

You are an unserious person. Good luck competing and existing in the coming world.
I think I will be just fine but thanks foe your fake concern as a self hating midwesterner that hates rural people.

Torbee do you actually belive red states are welfare states as has been driven by the left? If you want to actually be a serious person dig in on that claim and be truthful. You won't though because you are simply a puppet. Start there and truly educate yourself if you are capable.

Articles like this one are just another they are deplorable and need our salvation. Look at them not even know what they need. It is snobbery and exactly the mentality that led to the rise of Trump. Then we get fools like you and others in here that thump their chests and agree as if this clown Krugman doesn't view you the exact same way. He does.

By the way...I have lived all.over the world including NYC. These people are not your friends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT