ADVERTISEMENT

Can Arizona's Sean Miller and Creighton's Greg McDermott survive this?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Call records link Arizona's Sean Miller, Creighton's Greg McDermott to Brian Bowen II's handler

During Brian Bowen II's recruitment in the late spring of 2017, his handler, Christian Dawkins, made dozens of telephone calls to various assistant college basketball coaches courting the player -- one of the last available five-star prospects.

In the final weeks before Bowen II's father agreed to accept $100,000 from Adidas to ensure that his son signed with the University of Louisville, Dawkins also made and received calls with phone numbers associated with at least two Division I head coaches -- Arizona's Sean Miller and Creighton's Greg McDermott.

An Outside the Lines analysis of Dawkins' cellphone records from May 3, 2017, to July 2, 2017, shows there were at least 13 phone calls involving a cell number belonging to Miller and at least nine calls with McDermott's phone number. All but three of those calls were placed between May 8, 2017, and June 1, 2017, when Bowen II committed to the Cardinals.

The records show that each of the calls Dawkins made to or received from the number associated with Miller lasted at least five minutes; there were five calls longer than 10 minutes with McDermott's number. There were also several calls and voicemails that lasted one minute that weren't included in the aforementioned totals.

Dawkins, a former runner for an NBA agent, was one of three men convicted on Wednesday by a jury in New York on federal charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud related to pay-for-play schemes to send high-profile recruits to Adidas-sponsored schools.

ESPN reported in February that Dawkins and Miller had discussions about a $100,000 payment that ensured that star center Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 pick in June's NBA draft, signed with the Wildcats from the class of 2017.

According to Brian Bowen Sr., Dawkins told him that Arizona assistant coach Joe Pasternack offered $50,000; Oklahoma State assistant coach Lamont Evans offered $150,000 cash, $80,000 for a car and additional money to buy a house; Texas assistant coach Mike Morrell offered to "help me with housing"; and Creighton assistant coach Preston Murphy offered $100,000 and a "good job, a lucrative job."

Pasternack and Morrell are now the head coaches at UC Santa Barbara and UNC Asheville.

Dawkins' phone records also show repeated calls to and from a cell number belonging to Murphy, who also grew up in Saginaw. According to the records, Dawkins had 59 calls with Murphy's cell number between May 4, 2017, and July 3, 2017, including 32 before Bowen II committed to Louisville.

The nine calls involving Creighton's McDermott's number started on May 8, 2017, and ended on June 22, 2017. There was a 28-minute call on May 8, a 29-minute call on May 20 and a 16-minute call on May 24, according to the records.

Of the nearly 3,000 telephone calls that were either made or received by Dawkins' cellphone during the two-month period, the most frequent number belongs to former Creighton star Justin Patton, a 7-foot center who played one season for the Bluejays before turning pro in 2017. He is a second-year player with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

LINK to full story: http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ton-greg-mcdermott-brian-bowen-ii-recruitment

Short answer, yes.

The world is corrupt and money hungry. We should do some cheating just to catch up.

Louisville... what do you expect?

Creighton?... who cares.

Arizona? I honestly can't believe that the PAC-12 wouldn't have something to say about this. They likely can't do much about it except to exert some collective moral pressure on one of their member schools but I would expect them to have some sort of reaction.

If I were a coach in that league, I would raise holy heck about it both publicly and behind the scenes. If I finished second in the league behind AZ, for example, I would press hard to get any bonus I would have earned for winning a conference title. The school cannot rightly expect you to compete with and beat a blatant cheater.

Reactions: perryhawk
quote-the-ncaa-is-so-mad-at-kentucky-theyre-going-to-give-cleveland-state-another-year-of-jerry-tarkanian-74-77-23.jpg

The NCAA is about money, not the good of the game or a level playing field. As an enforcement agency they are a joke.

You do realize they rely on self compliance and reporting. they do not have subpoena powers. Guess, better to NOT think of them as an enforcement agency ;)

Could a conference decide to ban a team from their own postseason tournament? I’d be pushing for that hard if I were a coach in the same conference with a bunch of cheaters. A small punitive measure but it could break some teams chances if they’re on the bubble.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
When I was a kid I was more of a college basketball fan over football. Used to love the Iowa teams in the late 70s and early 80s ... I still follow the game but nowhere near at the level I once did. It started with the one-and-done ... and continues with Calipari and his NBA Kentucky franchise ... Outside of the Hawks, I can't name two starters on another Big 10 team ... You have the shoe companies involved ... the AAU teams and coaches ... As with any sport, as long as you are winning your AD and school will do everything it can to keep you ...

I don't know what the right answer is as GD's comment was wrong. I guess I question if it were anymore wrong than what got Pat Chambers fired at Penn State?

how does "plantation" come to anyone's mind when it comes to basketball & today's climate???

Right, astonishingly stupid. Or why would anyone land on an analogy like that in any context, basketball or office meeting or fill in the blank setting. Don’t see him lasting much longer.

Reactions: Franisdaman
In the article, is says McDermott made phone calls, lots of phone calls. Are they inferring that he was offering money? It sounds like the assistant coach did.

Also, a plantation is the same thing as a big farm. Of course, what comes to mind is a big farm in the South where they have slaves. But the literal meaning of his comment was team unity. It's not uncommon for people to say, "I have left the plantation".

A plantation is not an evil thing. There is a city in Florida named Plantation (I think they are getting a lot of heat). I found a hotel/resort called the Plantation.

I don't understand why Pat Chambers got fired and I can't understand why McDermott might get fired ,,,, unless it is for the "pay to play" part.

Probably should not have said it but good lord I don’t think it’s that big a deal.

if a white coach said it to an all white team would anybody care?

if a black coach said it would anybody care?

• Haha
Reactions: David1979
Call records link Arizona's Sean Miller, Creighton's Greg McDermott to Brian Bowen II's handler

During Brian Bowen II's recruitment in the late spring of 2017, his handler, Christian Dawkins, made dozens of telephone calls to various assistant college basketball coaches courting the player -- one of the last available five-star prospects.

In the final weeks before Bowen II's father agreed to accept $100,000 from Adidas to ensure that his son signed with the University of Louisville, Dawkins also made and received calls with phone numbers associated with at least two Division I head coaches -- Arizona's Sean Miller and Creighton's Greg McDermott.

An Outside the Lines analysis of Dawkins' cellphone records from May 3, 2017, to July 2, 2017, shows there were at least 13 phone calls involving a cell number belonging to Miller and at least nine calls with McDermott's phone number. All but three of those calls were placed between May 8, 2017, and June 1, 2017, when Bowen II committed to the Cardinals.

The records show that each of the calls Dawkins made to or received from the number associated with Miller lasted at least five minutes; there were five calls longer than 10 minutes with McDermott's number. There were also several calls and voicemails that lasted one minute that weren't included in the aforementioned totals.

Dawkins, a former runner for an NBA agent, was one of three men convicted on Wednesday by a jury in New York on federal charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and wire fraud related to pay-for-play schemes to send high-profile recruits to Adidas-sponsored schools.

ESPN reported in February that Dawkins and Miller had discussions about a $100,000 payment that ensured that star center Deandre Ayton, the No. 1 pick in June's NBA draft, signed with the Wildcats from the class of 2017.

According to Brian Bowen Sr., Dawkins told him that Arizona assistant coach Joe Pasternack offered $50,000; Oklahoma State assistant coach Lamont Evans offered $150,000 cash, $80,000 for a car and additional money to buy a house; Texas assistant coach Mike Morrell offered to "help me with housing"; and Creighton assistant coach Preston Murphy offered $100,000 and a "good job, a lucrative job."

Pasternack and Morrell are now the head coaches at UC Santa Barbara and UNC Asheville.

Dawkins' phone records also show repeated calls to and from a cell number belonging to Murphy, who also grew up in Saginaw. According to the records, Dawkins had 59 calls with Murphy's cell number between May 4, 2017, and July 3, 2017, including 32 before Bowen II committed to Louisville.

The nine calls involving Creighton's McDermott's number started on May 8, 2017, and ended on June 22, 2017. There was a 28-minute call on May 8, a 29-minute call on May 20 and a 16-minute call on May 24, according to the records.

Of the nearly 3,000 telephone calls that were either made or received by Dawkins' cellphone during the two-month period, the most frequent number belongs to former Creighton star Justin Patton, a 7-foot center who played one season for the Bluejays before turning pro in 2017. He is a second-year player with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

LINK to full story: http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ton-greg-mcdermott-brian-bowen-ii-recruitment
From what I have heard from a person that has know McDermott from high school, McDermott learned how to use questionable recruiting tactics while he was at Iowa State.

Oh absolutely they can! The spinning has already began and NCAA basketball is an absolute chit show
Bill Self has proven that you can commit 3 Level One violations and be tied to the Adidas FBI scandal & still survive!!!

My god, the blue bloods like Kansas even feel they have to cheat. And we wonder why Iowa struggles to get some of these 4 stars to commit? We are at a HUGE disadvantage because we don't pay families and handlers 10's of thousands of dollars.

Here is that thread on the Bill Self fiasco:

Reactions: Ronman
In the article, is says McDermott made phone calls, lots of phone calls. Are they inferring that he was offering money? It sounds like the assistant coach did.

Also, a plantation is the same thing as a big farm. Of course, what comes to mind is a big farm in the South where they have slaves. But the literal meaning of his comment was team unity. It's not uncommon for people to say, "I have left the plantation".

A plantation is not an evil thing. There is a city in Florida named Plantation (I think they are getting a lot of heat). I found a hotel/resort called the Plantation.

I don't understand why Pat Chambers got fired and I can't understand why McDermott might get fired ,,,, unless it is for the "pay to play" part.
The PC climate today has gone completely off the rails. Next thing you know, you won't be able to wipe your hind-end without someone getting offended.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
The PC climate today has gone completely off the rails. Next thing you know, you won't be able to wipe your hind-end without someone getting offended.

There are rules and they should be followed. The funny thing is that the same people who flaunt them are often the first to scream bloody murder when they end up on the other side of the rules.

I think the NCAA has a lot of Balls to delve out ANY penalties on ANY program - when they themselves are so corrupt and dirty.

Reactions: cruhawk
There are rules and they should be followed. The funny thing is that the same people who flaunt them are often the first to scream bloody murder when they end up on the other side of the rules.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind when the shoe is on the other foot.

The NCAA will keep their blinders on when it comes to the big boys, but if you're a regular program, like Iowa, don't you dare give a recruit an extra candy bar or t-shirt. Maybe the cheaters should form their own conference and just play each other for their supposed national championship.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Maybe some kind of penalty from the respective schools and a fine. As long as they are winning, they both keep their jobs. I don't like it but, that is how it is these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT