ADVERTISEMENT

Can the PGA survive LIV?

I lost a lot of respect for him when he kept publicly fighting with Bryson long after it should’ve died down. DeChambeau has his own issues but it sure seemed like it was Koepka instigating and creating all that drama.
There's something to that.

That said, I truly despise slow play. My scores can pretty much be charted based on the pace of play.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yesterday's pairing in LA in tiger's tourney was no accident.
JT, Rory and Tiger form the real core along with Rahm &Scheffler/Speith of the PGA players crew. Yesterday was pure golf magic the way that group played and interacted with themselves and the crowd.

LIV will never match that magic.
These designated tourneys will be almost mini-majors if Tiger plays and is semi-competitive.
The #83 watch is on for Tiger.
Go Tiger!

100% agree, coming off the "elevated WM Phoenix that had two huge stars battling it out on Sunday with all of its craziness already had the tour in the news. Then Tiger announces he is playing and the pairings release creates even more excitement. The last two weeks were handled very well by the tour and players.

I don’t know if anyone read the LIV complaint against the PGA Tour, but they admitted they have essentially zero revenue and can’t get major corporate sponsors.
Well, they do have a TV deal with CW network. Of course, LIV is not getting any rights fees and has to cover all the production costs, so don’t think that helps financially.

I don’t know if anyone read the LIV complaint against the PGA Tour, but they admitted they have essentially zero revenue and can’t get major corporate sponsors.

Don't worry about that little revenue shortage, Greg has it all worked out in 2023

Koepka was fighting through a series of injuries at the time. Confidence is huge in golf.

iu

David Duval is probably the best example of what can happen, and happen quickly. Koepka is a lot like Duval.
His putting turned to shit also. Hard to blame that on injuries..

Does anyone know the history of Greg Norman and the PGA? I know there’s bad blood but I don’t remember why.

Greg had a television partner ( Fox) to start World Golf Tour - eight events elite players
this was during the when FTC was going after tour for antitrust over allowing players to play other tours.

Finchem got the FTC thing squashed, The World Golf Tour never happened , over the next few years the PGA had the Match Play , and in 99 The full WGC, Norman accused Fincem of stealing his idea

Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
Norman sounds increasingly bitter and frazzled. Maybe he’s worried MBS is going to have him chopped up and dropped into a drum of acid.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
I watched a few minutes and it had that Lake Tahoe celebrity tournament vibe.
I watched about 10 minutes of it and saw hardly any golf. They were pushing the whole "teams" thing and creating rivalries schtick. It's almost like they're trying to do a low key pseudo WWE wrestling thing, which is just a total turn-off for the normal golf fan.

Total XFL feel, who cares.

I watched about 10 minutes of it and saw hardly any golf. They were pushing the whole "teams" thing and creating rivalries schtick. It's almost like they're trying to do a low key pseudo WWE wrestling thing, which is just a total turn-off for the normal golf fan.

Total XFL feel, who cares.
Yep. The entire business model is premised on features nobody asked for and, based upon the TV ratings, nobody actually wants.

Watched quite a bit on Sunday, was pretty good to see players I knew even though most are past their prime other than Cameron Smith. Watched some of the PGA event, disappointing that I didn't know anyone in the top 10. Good tournament though, it was good to hear that they are trying to get more players in the top 20 or so in the PGA to play more events. Looking forward to that.

Watched quite a bit on Sunday, was pretty good to see players I knew even though most are past their prime other than Cameron Smith. Watched some of the PGA event, disappointing that I didn't know anyone in the top 10. Good tournament though, it was good to hear that they are trying to get more players in the top 20 or so in the PGA to play more events. Looking forward to that.
The stakes just aren’t there. Charles Howell got richer. The Crushers all got paid for his play even though DeChambeau played like crap.

The Honda ended with a 34 year-old journeyman golfer who had a 50 foot up and down to automatically qualify for every tournament he’s ever dreamed of.

Didn't know anybody in the Top 10? So you never heard of Shane Lowry, Sepp Straka, or Justin Suh? Do you watch golf? Also had Zach Johnson in the field.

Reactions: mnole03
The Tour embracing some of LIVs selling points is interesting. All the justifications have been good reading.

Not a fan of increasing the smaller field no cut events, Tour keeping the talent happy I guess

Seems they’re just making it so the top players can play just the designated events and majors and if the money is much greater and there are no cuts, there’s no need for them to play any other tournaments. I think this will further sacrifice the non-designated events, which is unfortunate. Almost like a major league vs. AAA-type set up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT