ADVERTISEMENT

Can we fire him now?

Do you know for certain his buyout is just 3 million?
Its 3 years guaranteed as far as I have heard and maybe $9.5 million buyout. That's why him not getting a contract extension with guaranteed money is important to give Iowa options going forward. I expect next year is about the same as this year.

My take is there is very little correlation between Big10 performance and Big10 Head coach pay. ONe of the highest paid guys just got fired (Holtzman)...izzo is highly paid but has past performance but not setting B1G on fire in last few years. Painter has best performance, middle of the B1G pay.

In this day of NIL, having a young coach that can go out and get money from Donors for NIL is more important than competing via hiring the most famous/charismatic coaches. Look at Calipari for Kentucky...his scchtiic worked to get hims about $10 million/yr or so...and it worked for awhile....now it doesn't. The look at TJ at ISU who started out at about $1.2 million/yr.

I just don't understand why he has never brought in an assistant to revamp the defense. Defense was solid for a couple years in 2015 and 2016. But when the bottom fell out in 2018, it was clear that this needed to happen. Four straight years 2020-2023 of top five offenses, but not a single Sweet 16 appearance because of defensive efficiencies between #75 and 168. What a waste.

There will never be another men’s basketball head coach at a power conference program who is allowed to remain for 14 years without ever making it to at least a Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA tournament.

Iowa has allowed this to occur, and many posters on this site (plus nearly all of the Iowa media) are insistent that Fran comes back for year 15.
And many believe he will get his sweet 16 appearance after year 14 like Bluder, you can’t make it up.

He should have been replaced a while ago. We literally have the slowest roster in power 5 returning next year and 2 actual scholarship guards on the roster currently returning …..
I hate to say this, but Fran went 'all in' on the Brothers Murray and he f'ing won the lotto and secured his job at Iowa for another 12-15 years....Everyone thought he was off his rocker when he recruited them... In some ways the Twins were both a blessing and a curse....

I hate to say this, but Fran went 'all in' on the Brothers Murray and he f'ing won the lotto and secured his job at Iowa for another 12-15 years....Everyone thought he was off his rocker when he recruited them... In some ways the Twins were both a blessing and a curse....
That and with the all-timer that Garza turned into.

I just don't understand why he has never brought in an assistant to revamp the defense. Defense was solid for a couple years in 2015 and 2016. But when the bottom fell out in 2018, it was clear that this needed to happen. Four straight years 2020-2023 of top five offenses, but not a single Sweet 16 appearance because of defensive efficiencies between #75 and 168. What a waste.
He is never going to hire someone and defer to them. He has his system which can have some regular season success, but is not conducive to postseason success. As the old saying goes, he is set in his ways.

Reactions: HawkLogic
I saw absolutely no inspiration from either the coaching staff nor the team this game. Fed up with the Fran package!! What more does BG need to see? Terrible guard play, terrible defense and terrible coaching!! It is past time to make a change and pump some new blood into the program. Hell, anything is better than this shit show.

I saw absolutely no inspiration from either the coaching staff nor the team this game. Fed up with the Fran package!! What more does BG need to see? Terrible guard play, terrible defense and terrible coaching!! It is past time to make a change and pump some new blood into the program. Hell, anything is better than this shit show.

Yes. Waiting is not the answer. It will only make things worse. When you see someone on the combat field you don't wait, you put the tourniquet on to save the life.

We are at that point

Saw my first Iowa game 58 years ago at the field house and have been a diehard Hawk fan all that time. I remember when basketball was far more relevant than football. Without womens basketball this winter, it would have been a drag.

I watch the men but find myself caring less every year. Fran doesn't make an effort to change and why should he. Fricking Barta locked him in, for the balance of his career.

I can tell you this. If he allows Pmac to return for another year, I won't watch next year.

Have we seen the best of Fran at Iowa or is the best yet to come?

Will he ever emphasize playing defense?

My guess we won't see any movement with him on his own until next year when Jack getting out of high school. Who knows, maybe they'll be a package deal or more likely ha retires to watch Jack's college career.

Next year is going to be rough.
Depends on who leaves. I like a starting lineup of Harding, Dix, Sandfort, Dembele and Freeman. I didn't think that the Big Ten was really that good this year. Is the Big Ten going to be a much better league next year? Now if Dix transfers and Peyton goes pro then we are relying on Fran to hit the portal and we know that hasn't been good.

Depends on who leaves. I like a starting lineup of Harding, Dix, Sandfort, Dembele and Freeman. I didn't think that the Big Ten was really that good this year. Is the Big Ten going to be a much better league next year? Now if Dix transfers and Peyton goes pro then we are relying on Fran to hit the portal and we know that hasn't been good.
Are there legit rumors out there that Dix wants out or has better offers he’s considering?

He won't be fired, he would step down. He's accomplished too much to be fired.
All 4 NCAA Tourney Wins and no Sweet 16s , He would have been fired long ago by any School who really is serious about winning . His Teams get fat by having 10 Cupcake wins then barely going .500 against Teams with pulses and He always gets bounced early from NCAAs and NITs . He is the walking definition of meh .

I don't follow that stuff. I just follow what's posted here which one poster hinted at Creighton. It is the days of NIL so people should get use to players leaving to blue bloods.
Gotcha.

I was just curious. Isn’t Dix from the Council Bluffs area? IIRC, didn’t Dix also have a Purdue offer out of high school?

I’m sure he has plenty of options.

Anyone counting on something different after all these years is in denial
Even if Koch is the second coming of Larry Bird, I don’t see how many posters are optimistic about next season?! I GUARANTEE a year from now we will be singing the same ol’ song - we need athletic guards and have to play tougher defense!

This year the Chicago Bulls picked up no one new from last season - and guess what, they are having the same f’ing results this season! 🤪

Even if Koch is the second coming of Larry Bird, I don’t see how many posters are optimistic about next season?! I GUARANTEE a year from now we will be singing the same ol’ song - we need athletic guards and have to play tougher defense!

This year the Chicago Bulls picked up no one new from last season - and guess what, they are having the same f’ing results this season! 🤪

If you don't have athletic guards, you aren't shit in college bball.

Reactions: DewHawk
Saw my first Iowa game 58 years ago at the field house and have been a diehard Hawk fan all that time. I remember when basketball was far more relevant than football. Without womens basketball this winter, it would have been a drag.

I watch the men but find myself caring less every year. Fran doesn't make an effort to change and why should he. Fricking Barta locked him in, for the balance of his career.

I can tell you this. If he allows Pmac to return for another year, I won't watch next year.
I’ve been watching more nba games this year.
It’s crazy watching an nba game and then watching an iowa game. It’s like watching middle school kids trying to play basketball.

Its been a really fun winter for me as I’m a t-wolves fan and have gone through lots of misery waiting for a year like this one.

Kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. What coach will wanna come to a school that fires their all time winningest coach?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for throwing a bunch of for sale signs in Fran's yard at this point. He's made a good amount of money these past 15 years, so no worries about financial security.

Kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. What coach will wanna come to a school that fires their all time winningest coach?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for throwing a bunch of for sale signs in Fran's yard at this point. He's made a good amount of money these past 15 years, so no worries about financial security.
If a coach wants to come in and win mostly meaningless games to pad his totals - or is leery of going to work for a school who replaced someone who did just that - I don't want him.

Fran is Iowa MBB's winningest coach. Great.

But what's the real payoff for the winning of those games? That's correct. There is none.

Wasn’t the previous all time winning coach at Iowa let go/unrenewed? It’s not as if Fran has a sparkling record. It is mostly a longevity record.

Fran can stay, Fran can leave. Whatever at this point. But I find it kind of funny that the majority of you were calling this a meaningless, exhibition game. Now you’re super upset about the result of the same meaningless game….ok

Reactions: iahawks10 and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT