ADVERTISEMENT

What Is Wrong With Fran McCaffery?

This could be part of the problem.....or a potential solve of a problem if we take a similar approach.
From the Wisconsin mens head BBall coach..."My staff and I, led by coach Krabbenhoft, started this initiative over a year ago of our "Sixth man society" as part of the Varsity Collective. Put a lot of boots on the ground raising funds. We've been able to almost triple our NIL collective in terms of men's basketball in a year".

Holding Fran responsible for lack of NIL money is not a popular opinion among his ardent supporters.

He's the face of the team to alumni/fans. He's allowed to talk to boosters. It is part of the job description.

Yes, no one here is as smart as you, Chad. We established that a long time ago.

And yet, you are wrong about nearly everything. All you ever talk about is your feelings and how people who point out obvious flaws in the basketball or football programs are just dumb, meanie butts who don’t get it. Boo hoo. Btw, I get performance evaluations routinely at my job, like anyone else does, and I am consistently graded as proficient to distinguished in every category. So, lol, at another ridiculous, abjectly stupid assertion by you that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Furthermore, if you have read a majority of my posts, which you seem to have based on your stalker comments directed at me, then you would know that I have been more than fair to Fran McCaffrey and have even stated my belief that this season was his best coaching job at Iowa given the serious lack of talent and youth. But, of course, as always, you will refuse to correct your error and continue to project your own nonsense on to me.

Oh, and I can assure you that you frequent these boards as much as me, if not more. I’m also off work this week and am spending a little more time chit chatting than normal, since you seem so interested.

Fran McCaffrey routinely gets performance reviews too lol. Fans are fans, they’re the same on every board.

And quite frankly, I’ve probably had 200 posts in the last couple months about a hell of a lot more than Fran McCaffrey, or Kirk Ferentz…

In fact, I’d go so far as to say my complaints about the “complainers” has been in the bottom 10% .it’s just lazy debating on your part but I’ve really never thought you were that brilliant.

Nor have I ever suggested I was smarter than anyone, that’s insecurity, reading into the things that I say, and I have routinely suggested when I was wrong & over the top… So there’s that

Pretty much undoes anything you’ve already said…

Prove your last comment I’ll wait….

😊

i wouldn't doubt his hands are tied to some extent. i honestly think the administration gives him specific boxes his recruits must check (not race!) and i think that limits his recruiting pool. i don't know what the boxes are, but i bet they exist.

it might help to explain why we never get guards like the ones we see playing after the 1st weekend of the tourney.... and i mean the NIT.
We have no proof of this

But we do have plenty of examples of Fran tying his own hands.

He doesn't recruit enough guards in the first place because unlike the rest of the world he insists on playing three or four 6'7+ forwards at a time.

He overvalues height and undervalues, speed, quickness, athleticism and defense.

Then he limits himself to guys who are good shooters and if he does somehow end up with a good guard who isn't a good shooter he won't play them.

Years ago Roy Marble went on a radio program in desmoines and flat out said that he could have brought Montee Morris to Iowa because of their family connections and Fran passed.

Fran doesn't have good guards because of Fran.

Holding Fran responsible for lack of NIL money is not a popular opinion among his ardent supporters.

He's the face of the team to alumni/fans. He's allowed to talk to boosters. It is part of the job description.

Man, I am not sure if Fran has a lot of ardent supporters. I think you’re probably talking about more reasonable people that look at things in a little wider lens than some of you.

Most of you missed the forest because of the trees… I think anyone and everyone is probably “OK” if Fran moves on. But objectivity is completely lost in your group…

I’d love to know a lot more about all of you. I’m pretty certain I could find a shit ton of things in your background that will make you look like a world-class hypocrite….🤷‍♂️

Just sayin’….

Also, it’s a good thing in life to be fair, and reasonable and compassionate not a bad thing.

You & @RagnarLothbrok keep fighting the good fight on an anonymous message board to get a winning coach fired lol.

It actually just sounds funny coming out of my mouth..,

Your heroes…,,😂

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
I’ve also heard Fran is against paying transfers any sort of real money because he doesn’t want a transfer to get more than any player already on the team. Whether that’s true or not, I don’t know.

I also wonder if there would be a greater investment in basketball from the fans who actually write the checks if they had any faith in Fran whatsoever. I know his two kids are now gone, but why would anyone want to pay for the next potential Keegan Murray to sit on the bench behind a McCaffrey?
Honestly, I threw a little money into the swarm, but the concept of"the fans writing checks" to buy players just rubs me he wrong way, and big time. They're having more meeting this week at the final 4, and something needs to be done with NIL, period. Allowing players to make $$ off their brand, (like what Clark is doing) is fine, and totally acceptable. The rest of this crap has to be fixed, and I still think something will be done, or the whole thing will turn to crap, and the golden goose will be dead.

Honestly, I threw a little money into the swarm, but the concept of"the fans writing checks" to buy players just rubs me he wrong way, and big time. They're having more meeting this week at the final 4, and something needs to be done with NIL, period. Allowing players to make $$ off their brand, (like what Clark is doing) is fine, and totally acceptable. The rest of this crap has to be fixed, and I still think something will be done, or the whole thing will turn to crap, and the golden goose will be dead.

Agreed

He just cannot recruit! Every day I see new developing about this guy transferring to Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Creighton and on and on. Never Iowa! What is wrong? Is Beth Goetz not taking note? Are we that undesirable to these kids? Iowa just appears as a non player any longer. If that is so Fran needs to be replaced with an aggressive, defensive-minded coach that appeals to these top players.
Never fear…there will be some 3* white guy with no other offers except us that will jump on board. The team scrabble game will be more intense along with Friends trivia night at the coffee shop!

I don't really understand how Iowa fans can't grasp that Fran runs a developmental program. Our best seasons have always been led by upperclassmen. His biggest strength as a coach might be his ability to develop bigs and bigger wings. He's sent 7 players to the NBA and the only guard among them was RDM, who was 6'6" and may as well have been a SF in college. He has a system that utilizes players like that to their full potential, and that's why we see a lot of Iowa teams with tall shooting wings at 2-4.

Recruiting in the transfer portal seems so heavily rooted in NIL money. And for a developmental program to survive, you have to retain players, which also requires NIL money. Iowa has done a pretty good job of not losing their top players as transfers, which cannot be said of a lot of schools. Joe Toussaint and CJ Frederick are solid players but when they're the best players you've lost in the portal that's a success. But Tony Perkins and Patrick are leaving partially because they're going to get paid a lot more at other schools. To recruit a Tony Perkins level player in the portal, you have to pay them about as much as Tony Perkins (probably more!), which clearly Iowa can't afford to do.

The transfers Iowa have gotten have all been players wanting to come closer to home (Uthoff, Braun), or players who significantly overachieved at smaller schools and want to take a step up (Rebraca, Krikke). And especially this year, where we're going to have 4 or so players to recruit on top of potentially paying to retain Sandforth, I wouldn't expect any flashy signings.

We're probably getting 3 or 4 players who overachieved at mid or low majors. It seems like those are the guys we're recruiting because those are the guys we can afford. And for what it's worth, Fran has consistently identified positions of need and pretty rarely struck out on those guys. But at the end of the day, it's a developmental program. Just like in football, when you have a down year you mostly have to hope your returning players improve.

I don't really understand how Iowa fans can't grasp that Fran runs a developmental program. Our best seasons have always been led by upperclassmen. His biggest strength as a coach might be his ability to develop bigs and bigger wings. He's sent 7 players to the NBA and the only guard among them was RDM, who was 6'6" and may as well have been a SF in college. He has a system that utilizes players like that to their full potential, and that's why we see a lot of Iowa teams with tall shooting wings at 2-4.

Recruiting in the transfer portal seems so heavily rooted in NIL money. And for a developmental program to survive, you have to retain players, which also requires NIL money. Iowa has done a pretty good job of not losing their top players as transfers, which cannot be said of a lot of schools. Joe Toussaint and CJ Frederick are solid players but when they're the best players you've lost in the portal that's a success. But Tony Perkins and Patrick are leaving partially because they're going to get paid a lot more at other schools. To recruit a Tony Perkins level player in the portal, you have to pay them about as much as Tony Perkins (probably more!), which clearly Iowa can't afford to do.

The transfers Iowa have gotten have all been players wanting to come closer to home (Uthoff, Braun), or players who significantly overachieved at smaller schools and want to take a step up (Rebraca, Krikke). And especially this year, where we're going to have 4 or so players to recruit on top of potentially paying to retain Sandforth, I wouldn't expect any flashy signings.

We're probably getting 3 or 4 players who overachieved at mid or low majors. It seems like those are the guys we're recruiting because those are the guys we can afford. And for what it's worth, Fran has consistently identified positions of need and pretty rarely struck out on those guys. But at the end of the day, it's a developmental program. Just like in football, when you have a down year you mostly have to hope your returning players improve.

Smart post….but check with @RagnarLothbrok he is in charge of what’s smart or not….doh!!!

He has no $$ to work with. It's well documented that Iowa NIL fund for basketball pails in comparison to schools like ISU.

Transfer portal is free agency. It's 90% about money for these players. You can't pin this squarely on Fran.
Fran wasn’t setting the world on fire pre NIL but I think you still make a valid point.

Just think it exacerbated an already pretty weak track record.

Fran wasn’t setting the world on fire pre NIL but I think you still make a valid point.

Just think it exacerbated an already pretty weak track record.
I agree, recruiting has always been a major weakness for Fran. But pre-NIL, Fran could at least OCCASIONALLY swing some solid recruits with no ties to Iowa, e.g. Cook, Garza, Dickerson.

I fear those days are completely over.

i wouldn't doubt his hands are tied to some extent. i honestly think the administration gives him specific boxes his recruits must check (not race!) and i think that limits his recruiting pool. i don't know what the boxes are, but i bet they exist.

it might help to explain why we never get guards like the ones we see playing after the 1st weekend of the tourney.... and i mean the NIT.

“Had to have worked at Abercrombie for 2+ years”
Curtis J

Reactions: curtisj157
He just cannot recruit! Every day I see new developing about this guy transferring to Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Creighton and on and on. Never Iowa! What is wrong? Is Beth Goetz not taking note? Are we that undesirable to these kids? Iowa just appears as a non player any longer. If that is so Fran needs to be replaced with an aggressive, defensive-minded coach that appeals to these top players.
He isn't a good coach who has a temper problem?

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
LOL….your smart enough to know not everyone on this board agrees with that.

Only whiny bitchers like you….and I’m ok with that old friend.

This was pretty much the response I was hoping for, somebody who is proud and arrogant, calling somebody else proud and arrogant…

You’ll notice that’s never a direction I go do you know why? It’s weak, it’s trite, and it’s purely a deflection there is no substance…

It is literally the best you can do…😛
Is your name really chad?

Fran was not a great recruiter before the nil.
I’d say hit and miss…heavy on the misses! Overall, average at best recruiter. Both pre and post NIL. He definitely goes with the Friends and Family’ approach to recruiting…🙁 Even if Koch is an absolute stud, I still seeing this program just swimming with its boots on…it’s time for a refresh now that his offspring are apparently done…🤞

Completely off topic but I heard his brother is not doing well medically.. has anyone heard anything?

waiting until the big dogs have their picks and then strike!! I sense a 6’8” 230 pounder from a school like Sanford, maybe Tennessee Tech, roaming the Hawkeye court next year

Man, I am not sure if Fran has a lot of ardent supporters. I think you’re probably talking about more reasonable people that look at things in a little wider lens than some of you.

Most of you missed the forest because of the trees… I think anyone and everyone is probably “OK” if Fran moves on. But objectivity is completely lost in your group…

I’d love to know a lot more about all of you. I’m pretty certain I could find a shit ton of things in your background that will make you look like a world-class hypocrite….🤷‍♂️

Just sayin’….

Also, it’s a good thing in life to be fair, and reasonable and compassionate not a bad thing.

You & @RagnarLothbrok keep fighting the good fight on an anonymous message board to get a winning coach fired lol.

It actually just sounds funny coming out of my mouth..,

Your heroes…,,😂
"I’d love to know a lot more about all of you. I’m pretty certain I could find a shit ton of things in your background that will make you look like a world-class hypocrite….🤷‍♂️"

Pay me what Fran makes and I bet you don't find anything beyond a speeding ticket here or there. OR don't pay me what Fran is making and you still won't find shit brother. Cast stones all you want but they are bouncing off me. Love how people just assume that everyone has a shady background somehow and somewhere. Go to the beach my man and pound sand.

I also do not continually pound on Fran but I am tired of where we are as a program. Rules have changed and we need someone in charge that understands this and gets the program to a competitive state. One and done in the NIT after no success in the NCAA ain't cutting it. Time to move along or continue to fall down the ratings in NCAA basketball and we continue to get 8k a game max. The act is old....very old right now.

Last edited:
He has no $$ to work with. It's well documented that Iowa NIL fund for basketball pails in comparison to schools like ISU.

Transfer portal is free agency. It's 90% about money for these players. You can't pin this squarely on Fran.
Been a problem longer than NIL bro
Well, yeah, but can you translate WTF is trying to be said in the first two sentences?

I agree Fran is probably hot on the trail of some 6’9 white guy from the Pioneer League or some shit, but I would like someone to at least translate the second sentence from dumbass into English.
really ? Even with the typo a semi dim person can read what’s being said here . Don’t be an ass.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Dude, honestly I don’t even know why you watch sports…the cushiest of jobs what the ****…

Buddy, we really don’t have any coaches that “deserve” to be fired. I’m willing to wager 98% of the people on this board doubling down on you in particular, have not performed close to the level at their jobs that these coaches are, that you are constantly bitching about…

Give me the number to your boss I think he should fire you…

I mean clearly, you have plenty of time to be on a message board bitching about somebody else
😜

Reactions: cmhawks99
I understand your point, but you are wrong about a few things.

1. Iowa is not a “cushy” job. Objectively: Fran is the 11th paid coach in the B10 (3rd lowest). And your point about Barta contracts is irrelevant, he isn’t here anymore. Salary is not great, facilities are not great, fan support is not great.

2. Not all fans get to choose where their funds go to. You have to pay over a certain threshold to get a say.

Lastly I’ll say this - I agree there is apathy in the fanbase and it probably won’t ever go away until fran is gone. But another way to say that is: we have fair weather basketball fans.

I guess my point is that I wish fans would accept the fact that - while Fran isn’t a GREAT coach - the fanbase has not been GREAT either
BS; when I was here in the 80’s we packed the field house and then Carver. This fan base has been waiting for the program to be exciting and current but the program continues to be vanilla just like carver ice cream.

BS; when I was here in the 80’s we packed the field house and then Carver. This fan base has been waiting for the program to be exciting and current but the program continues to be vanilla just like carver ice cream.
Agree......get the right coach, the right mentality, someone who can SELL the program and raise $$$, show success on the court and the fans will show up. Milk toast year in and year out gets you a milk toast crowd.

It was always pretty, regularly, packed until Pierre Pierce.

That whole episode soured fans, Lick bottomed it out further, and it's never truly recovered. IMO

It was always pretty, regularly, packed until Pierre Pierce.

That whole episode soured fans, Lick bottomed it out further, and it's never truly recovered. IMO
Granted, Alford was a tool and his Pierre Pierce backing was the straw that broke him and Iowa BBall. Barta was so dumb he didn’t even understand it was Brad Stevens not Lick that stirred the Butler drink! Barta should have been canned for that stupidity alone! Fran’s takeover was as good as we could expect but once again, Barta’s lack of apparent connections in the coaching world led him to contract extensions for Fran versus a proper upgrade after the first renewal. Leadership for Iowa in AD office has been lacking since Elliott left.

Well, yeah, but can you translate WTF is trying to be said in the first two sentences?

I agree Fran is probably hot on the trail of some 6’9 white guy from the Pioneer League or some shit, but I would like someone to at least translate the second sentence from dumbass into English.
It’s obvious that the OP left out the word “stories” after the word developing in his second sentence…then it makes complete sense.

Agree......get the right coach, the right mentality, someone who can SELL the program and raise $$$, show success on the court and the fans will show up. Milk toast year in and year out gets you a milk toast crowd.
It's milquetoast as in Caspar Milquetoast. Milk toast is something you drink/eat for breakfast.

• Haha
JMO. A growing segment of the Iowa fans are tired of McCaffery due to the following examples (no particular order or inclusive):
1) the most recent past display of nepotism on the team (6/8 years running now)
2) his sideline tantrums although decreasing (probably due to BG expectations)
3) middle of the pack finishes (around 500 in BIG)
4) not capitalizing on the NBA players when on Iowa roster
5) no sweet sixteen and blown opportunities in the NCAA tourney
6) other than Iowa connected recruits his recruiting is mediocre at best
7) he does not generate any excitement with the fanbase at this point given his production during his tenure
8) Iowa is realistically out of the conference race typically by mid-season
9) Iowa does not play defense and he does not appear to care to remedy

All the above readily apparent to fans and possible recruits alike. What is to be excited about in Men's BBall?
Yes, but I still liked the play, replied Mary Todd Lincoln.

"I’d love to know a lot more about all of you. I’m pretty certain I could find a shit ton of things in your background that will make you look like a world-class hypocrite….🤷‍♂️"

Pay me what Fran makes and I bet you don't find anything beyond a speeding ticket here or there. OR don't pay me what Fran is making and you still won't find shit brother. Cast stones all you want but they are bouncing off me. Love how people just assume that everyone has a shady background somehow and somewhere. Go to the beach my man and pound sand.

I also do not continually pound on Fran but I am tired of where we are as a program. Rules have changed and we need someone in charge that understands this and gets the program to a competitive state. One and done in the NIT after no success in the NCAA ain't cutting it. Time to move along or continue to fall down the ratings in NCAA basketball and we continue to get 8k a game max. The act is old....very old right now.

Brother, everybody is a hypocrite everybody if you don’t get that no sense in moving forward….

I do think it’s cute that you believe you get to decide if anybody else thinks you’ve been shady lol

Last edited:

I guess I need to add… See you don’t get it, and I think I’ve always got along with you, but you literally do not get it if that is your response.

There have been 50 million books on it probably 50 million TV shows on it… Self righteous pompous asses that believe they have never done anything wrong they’ve never spoken out of turn, did someone else wrong, they’ve never done anything questionable, never did a half ass job, that’s the point friend that is the ****ing point…

There is somebody in your hometown, burning your house down behind your back right now and if your answer is no there isn’t then we are not going to understand each other.

See I do get it for every person that thinks I’m awesome there’s somebody that doesn’t for every everybody that thinks I do a good job there’s somebody that doesn’t the same goes for you And Ragnar the douche bag and etc. etc. etc. …

And if you wanna talk about an old act, you are right…I’m gonna admit out loud your response, has kind of irritated me, and I don’t get irritated.

Nobody in the world is honest with themselves all the time and that’s the best of us and we have about 5000 years of recorded history prove it!!

And since I get the feeling, you’re probably not following this, if I’m sitting across the table with you getting to know you and I get the sense throughout the conversation that you’ve never done anything wrong, you’ve never been a shithead you’ve always worked your ass off, never screwed a day off etc. etc. I don’t wanna be your friend because I know you’re a liar…

If however in the conversation it gets brought up somebody did somebody wrong or somebody got fired and they didn’t deserve to be and you said something like yeah well we all have our faults don’t we? . That’s introspection, that’s honesty, that’s somebody that isn’t overly judgmental…

That’s the kind of guy I’m looking to be friends with maybe you’re not that guy ….

Anything else….🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your response

Yeah, that was the fan base that chased off Tom Davis😃 I vaguely remember an apathetic fan based then too. For the most part, I think our fans have got what they had coming….🤷‍♂️

You’re kind of proving my point. 80s were probably the best decade for Iowa basketball.

Fans packed the arena when Iowa basketball was fantastic but they don’t care when the team is only decent.

That, by definition, is FAIR WEATHER FANDOM

Last edited:
Granted, Alford was a tool and his Pierre Pierce backing was the straw that broke him and Iowa BBall. Barta was so dumb he didn’t even understand it was Brad Stevens not Lick that stirred the Butler drink! Barta should have been canned for that stupidity alone! Fran’s takeover was as good as we could expect but once again, Barta’s lack of apparent connections in the coaching world led him to contract extensions for Fran versus a proper upgrade after the first renewal. Leadership for Iowa in AD office has been lacking since Elliott left.

Did you understand it was Brad Stevens? This is the perfect example of what I’m talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT