ADVERTISEMENT

Can we talk football?

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
I know this is a Trump and Trans forum, but maybe we can change the subject and talk football. šŸˆ

First off, UGA has the easiest schedule out there. Good grief what a joke.

What do you guys think about Iowa and FSU's schedules? What are your realistic projections for the season?

I think FSU's season will be indicated by the opener...again. Getting LSU for the second straight season isn't optimal, but playing them in Orlando helps. We should have the home field advantage, like they did in New Orleans last season. Hoping it doesn't come down to blocking an extra point again at the death.

I think FSU's season will be indicated by the opener...again. Getting LSU for the second straight season isn't optimal, but playing them in Orlando helps. We should have the home field advantage, like they did in New Orleans last season. Hoping it doesn't come down to blocking an extra point again at the death.
We're going to find out if the following are in our favor:

- The return of Jordan Travis & Jared Verse
- Norvel's supposed amazing work in the transfer portal
- If the few blue chippers we have like Hykeem Williams can step up
- O-line, O-line, O-line.

Easy schedule for Iowa compared to last season and compared to next season.

The west is there for the taking and I must admit I was surprised how well Ferentz and co did in the portal. Defense and special teams should be very good. On offense there are lots of unknowns of course and my biggest question is can the legitimate offensive talent we brought onboard mesh with (or maybe overcome???) BFā€™s scheme.

Iowa will win at least 9 games this year. Soft schedule, talent upgrades at every position on offense and Kirk ALWAYS responds in ā€œbacks against the wallā€ seasons.

Georgia, as OP mentioned, is being ushered to an undefeated season. I think Mike Bobo is a good OC, but Todd Monken was amazing. That offense wonā€™t drop off much though because theyā€™ll have another top 5 OL, a great receiving corps, and the most dominant player in CFB (Bowers). Where doubt creeps in for me is if theyā€™re in a tight game, will Bobo and a first-year QB be able to handle the pressure in a way Monken could with Grandpa Bennett? Even though theyā€™re the heavy betting favorites to win it all, I donā€™t personally feel the gap is THAT big. So many other teams are bringing back experienced players (thanks NIL) and I think thereā€™s been enough talent spread around that someone could knock them off.

FSU is playoff caliber, but they have two playoff caliber teams on their schedule. The Noles are going to be a blast to watch this year though. Norvell has done a hell of a job. Clemson will have a real OC for once, and thatā€™s kinda scary for the ACC because they have a whole bunch of talent thatā€™s been bottled up.

The PAC 12 is going to be an all-out brawl this year. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if any of 6 teams wins it (USC, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, UCLA). I wish we had the 12-team playoff this year, because it would be exciting to see a few of those teams in it.

Iā€™m pumped. Iā€™m always pumped for CFB. My Phil Steele mag should arrive today or tomorrow, and the deep dive shall begin!

Last edited:
Our last chance ever at a division title/conf championship game appearance.
thats-ridiculous-ridiculous.gif

I see Iowa going 9-3, losses at Penn State and Wisconsin and throw in a game they should win that they will lose. Hope I'm wrong and it's 10-2.

I didn't say it was a great shot, we're just adding USC and UCLA next year and losing the B1G West scheduling.
USC and UCLA have a long way to go to be back to really good. In the last 5 years their wins go like...

USC wins 5, 8, 5, 4, 11 33 total
UCLA wins 3,4,3,8,9 27 total

Iowa wins 9,10,6,10,8 43 total

Not saying they can't or won't be good in the future, but they have work to do to get back to being good progurms. In the last decade out of PAC 12 schools only Oregon has more wins than Iowa at 89, Iowa has 86.

https://cfbsaturdays.com/most-wins-in-fbs-over-last-10-years/

I know this is a Trump and Trans forum, but maybe we can change the subject and talk football. šŸˆ

First off, UGA has the easiest schedule out there. Good grief what a joke.

What do you guys think about Iowa and FSU's schedules? What are your realistic projections for the season?

Yeah Georgia's isnt bad ducking LSU and Alabama, but it also feels like one of those nice years where Iowa gets to duck Michigan and Ohio State. For all we know Florida, Tennessee, or Kentucky might put together a team to take down Georgia. Probably not though.

Iowa having 6 home big ten games is nuts, and 4 of the last 5 is a huge gift. @Iowa State @Penn State, @Nebraska and @Wisconsin could easily determine who wins the west. 3 rivalry games on the road sucks.

LSU and Clemson being 2 of FSU's first four game sucks dick, but they could easily be 9-2 going into the last game of the season. Just a bummer when it feels like your season is derailed before it really even starts.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
I saw Travis play a couple of games last year and was very impressed and jealous as. Hawkeye fan. He seemed like a Caleb Williams type talent.
That alone has me picking the Noles to win the ACC and contend for playoffs.
Hawkeyes have a good chance to go 9-3 or better and win the West.
The BIG East is loaded this year so winning the BIG title game is unlikely but give me a shot and it will be a good swan song season for division play.

Reactions: millah_22
Iowa will win at least 9 games this year. Soft schedule, talent upgrades at every position on offense and Kirk ALWAYS responds in ā€œbacks against the wallā€ seasons.

Georgia, as OP mentioned, is being ushered to an undefeated season. I think Mike Bobo is a good OC, but Todd Monken was amazing. That offense wonā€™t drop off much though because theyā€™ll have another top 5 OL, a great receiving corps, and the most dominant player in CFB (Bowers). Where doubt creeps in for me is if theyā€™re in a tight game, will Bobo and a first-year QB be able to handle the pressure in a way Monken could with Grandpa Bennett? Even though theyā€™re the heavy betting favorites to win it all, I donā€™t personally feel the gap is THAT big. So many other teams are bringing back experienced players (thanks NIL) and I

FSU is playoff caliber, but they have two playoff caliber teams on their schedule. The Noles are going to be a blast to watch this year though. Norvell has done a hell of a job. Clemson will have a real OC for once, and thatā€™s kinda scary for the ACC because they have a whole bunch of talent thatā€™s been bottled up.

The PAC 12 is going to be an all-out brawl this year. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if any of 6 teams wins it (USC, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Oregon State, UCLA). I wish we had the 12-team playoff this year, because it would be exciting to see a few of those teams in it.

Iā€™m pumped. Iā€™m always pumped for CFB. My Phil Steele mag should arrive today or tomorrow, and the deep dive shall begin!
I'm really excited for Oregon State this year. Big season last year. 4 of 5 OL back, new OL transfer, new QB transfer, returning WRs and RB. This offense is going to go off.

USC and UCLA have a long way to go to be back to really good. In the last 5 years their wins go like...

USC wins 5, 8, 5, 4, 11 33 total
UCLA wins 3,4,3,8,9 27 total

Iowa wins 9,10,6,10,8 43 total

Not saying they can't or won't be good in the future, but they have work to do to get back to being good progurms. In the last decade out of PAC 12 schools only Oregon has more wins than Iowa at 89, Iowa has 86.

https://cfbsaturdays.com/most-wins-in-fbs-over-last-10-years/

I'm not sure USC's record pre Lincoln Riley are all that relevant. UCLA certainly has work to do.

Our last chance ever at a division title/conf championship game appearance.
I mean, historically Iowa doesn't make those appearances very often, and I'm sure that trend will continue. We will always have those "magically seasons" sprinkled in, in a sea of mediocrity. It is what it is. For this year, I have zero expectations. It could be one of those "magical seasons" or it could be a dumpster fire. If the hawks do make the championship game, I would bet we get smoked again by whoever represents the East. The parity in college football is nonexistent. NIL will keep us from being bottom dwellers I feel like, but that's about it. JMO

Reactions: beanerhawk
I agree with at least 9 wins but we will not have an upgrade at TE over Laporta.

Put me in the itā€™s all about the O-line for Iowa in 23 camp. If line play can move from abysmal/poor to average/above average it could be a very good season.
The OL was as bad as weā€™ve been forced to watch since 1999/2000. Even the 2007 OL was better than 2022. I think we had a C and a RT who were completely unprepared and shouldnā€™t have been on the field and it made everyone elseā€™s job harder. Senior OL under KF get drafted or sign as FAā€™s. Itā€™s a near certainty. The fact that Jack Plumb will find himself as far away from an NFL roster this fall as you or I, is very telling. If every individual position is 10% better, the cumulative effect will be substantial. The left side of Richman/Colby/Feth can be top 5 in the conference IF the mental side is competent. I refuse to believe Feth isnā€™t coming in to start. Jones was terrible. We have a slew of young guards that I actually feel pretty good about. The huge ?? is RT. If Parker isnā€™t an upgrade over DeJong, then ignore a bunch of this cuz the OL will be a mess again.

Butā€¦. I like him as a person and I think he showed incredible maturity and toughness, I wish him nothing but the best in every aspect of his life moving forward. I feel horrible that he was the sacrificial lamb last season. Spencer Petras was abysmal. The reads and throws that he missedā€¦holy shit. It was bad. Brian does a decent job of scheming stuff open. And Spencer routinely missed. The pick 6 against OSU was one of the most egregious ā€œWHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SEEING?!?!ā€ moments Iā€™ve ever seen from a QB. Had a wide open TD against Illinois that he somehow managed to not even look at the MAIN GUY THE PLAY WAS MEANT FOR. The first bowl game against Kentuckyā€¦I could go on and on and on and on. It was comical. Cade is a huge, huge improvement.

Lachey has all the playmaking ability of LaPorta plus better hands.
Uh huh, right. In any event, that is irrelevant. The discussion is whether a tandem of Lachey and LaPorta is better than a tandem of Lachey and All.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT