ADVERTISEMENT

Carly Fiorina

Weird how no one ever talks about how she had an affair with a supervisor at AT&T, got divorced, married him and then miraculously was promoted.

At first I thought this thread was about Carla Gugino (Son in Law, Sin City, San Andreas, etc) but then realized it was more politics. I was kind of excited because I've always kind of had a thing for her and feel she's underrated.

Here's some pics because thems the rules

Carla+Gugino+017.jpg

om-van-te-houden-Carla-Gugino_img900_img900.jpg

Carla-Gugino-Plastic-Surgery-Before-After.jpg

Face it, the liberals are losing their damn minds because the Republicans not only have relatively young candidates running for office, but we have a woman, a black man, and two hispanics.

They don't know what to think.

We do know what to think, actually. We think the GOP is doing what it usually does - whether it's picking candidates or telling lies - they throw everything they can think of at the wall to see what sticks.

We do know what to think, actually. We think the GOP is doing what it usually does - whether it's picking candidates or telling lies - they throw everything they can think of at the wall to see what sticks.
This is precisely what I've been thinking about the number of GOP candidates. I realize the dems could have a problem if they don't have more bona fide candidates in the field. I realize Sanders has entered the race, but I don't think he'll provide much other than some ideas for the party platform.

But, the list of GOP candidates seems to grow almost on a weekly basis. Carson is intriguing if for no other reason than he's immensely intelligent. However, he's put his foot in his mouth numerous times that won't make him a very desirable candidate. So many of the others are so far right that Reagan looks liberal.

Actually that does not seem to be a standard for many of the other candidates of late. Obama was probably our most ineffective Senator, for example, and Al Gore was a failure of the first order at everything he ever did. Aside from Bush and Romney, I cannot think of a single "accomplished" candidate running for our highest office.

McCain was successful at surviving the Vietnam war, but not at much else. Kerry did manage to marry a wealthy woman, (as did McCain) but that is hardly a resume for higher office. Clinton was the ultimate smoke-and-mirrors candidate and his skills at "redefining politics" did not exactly dove-tail with the skill set required to actually "be" President.

I suspect that Carly would manage just fine. Even a difficult run at HP is a better background for running the largest capitalist society in the World, than anyone else out there (exception: Jeb) is providing as background for the job.

I should add that our next president is going to have to be the ultimate Turn-around artist. She is the only one in the field who has even come near to taking on such a project (Other than Jeb, and maybe Scott Walker).

The next president is going to have to clean out every senior executive at every single government agency that we have. I cannot imagine the depth of the cancer known as "Obamaism." It has to be so deeply rooted that it will take years if not decades to root out.

I think Carly, with some real-life Board-Room experience might just be the person for the job.

Boner city for you wingnuts if the next prez goes on a bloody Joe McCarthy style witch hunt.

HP didn't think so when they fired her. If she gains enough traction for it to matter, I expect we'll get a good look at that.
I think in retrospect she did a good job for HP. She handled the big merger as well as could be expected. This is an instant gratification society and the turnaround did not happen fast enough for the board. In my view they acted prematurely and I believe history bears that out. I hope more discussion does come about regarding her tenure there because it will cast her in a better light.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Face it, the liberals are losing their damn minds because the Republicans not only have relatively young candidates running for office, but we have a woman, a black man, and two hispanics.

They don't know what to think.
What has the Democrats losing their minds is the increasing likelihood that they're going to have to scrounge up somebody to be their nominee when Clinton finally implodes. It is looking more and more each day that the Clintons finally have dug themselves so deep in a mud hole that even their friends in the media won't be able to get them out.

That's certainly the opinion among Republicans, which is why everybody and his sister are announcing for the GOP nomination.

What has the Democrats losing their minds is the increasing likelihood that they're going to have to scrounge up somebody to be their nominee when Clinton finally implodes. It is looking more and more each day that the Clintons finally have dug themselves so deep in a mud hole that even their friends in the media won't be able to get them out.

That's certainly the opinion among Republicans, which is why everybody and his sister are announcing for the GOP nomination.

Umm, no. There are lots of reasons to dislike Hillary Clinton. I've listed many of them here. But, not everyone running on the Republican side is jumping in because Hillary is weak. There are numerous motivations for these candidates who have no legitimate shot of winning the Republican nomination.

I think in retrospect she did a good job for HP. She handled the big merger as well as could be expected. This is an instant gratification society and the turnaround did not happen fast enough for the board. In my view they acted prematurely and I believe history bears that out. I hope more discussion does come about regarding her tenure there because it will cast her in a better light.

That's plausible. I hope she gets far enough into the primary races that we get to form an informed opinion about this. I don't automatically rule out even a failed CEO - depending on the circumstances and what she's learned from the experience.

Kind of like when Eagleton was discredited as Muskie's running mate when it was learned that he had sought psychological counseling. Yeah, he was treated by a shrink. OTOH, he got that treatment - making him the only candidate who officially had a sound bill of mental health. We are a culture that's too squeamish about that to consider that a plus, but being fired as a CEO isn't necessarily a deal-breaker in my mind.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Umm, no. There are lots of reasons to dislike Hillary Clinton. I've listed many of them here. But, not everyone running on the Republican side is jumping in because Hillary is weak. There are numerous motivations for these candidates who have no legitimate shot of winning the Republican nomination.

While I agree with you, lucas, I also confess that Hillary's inevitability scares me. The Dems need more people challenging her. If she does implode, as LC suggests (wishes?), they need some vetted alternatives. And if she doesn't, she needs some competition to get Dem ideas on the airwaves. Otherwise, the idiot GOP memes will be 95% of what the voters will hear between now and the election.

It would also be nice if the GOPs could come up with someone who wasn't a dangerous lunatic on so many important. Carly is better than quite a few of them, but still not as good as, say, Huntsman. But we saw what the GOP base did to Huntsman.

This is precisely what I've been thinking about the number of GOP candidates. I realize the dems could have a problem if they don't have more bona fide candidates in the field. I realize Sanders has entered the race, but I don't think he'll provide much other than some ideas for the party platform.

But, the list of GOP candidates seems to grow almost on a weekly basis. Carson is intriguing if for no other reason than he's immensely intelligent. However, he's put his foot in his mouth numerous times that won't make him a very desirable candidate. So many of the others are so far right that Reagan looks liberal.

Whenever I see Ben Carson I get the feeling that his thought process goes something like this: "I don't have any particularly original ideas, or too many strong opinions, but I do think being president sounds appealing. Nor do I have any illusion that if I had any original ideas or strong opinions that I would get to implement them if I made it to the White House. So just tell me what to say to get elected, and then tell me what to do after I win. Doesn't matter to me what it is, I'll say it and do it."

While I agree with you, lucas, I also confess that Hillary's inevitability scares me. The Dems need more people challenging her. If she does implode, as LC suggests (wishes?), they need some vetted alternatives. And if she doesn't, she needs some competition to get Dem ideas on the airwaves. Otherwise, the idiot GOP memes will be 95% of what the voters will hear between now and the election.

It would also be nice if the GOPs could come up with someone who wasn't a dangerous lunatic on so many important. Carly is better than quite a few of them, but still not as good as, say, Huntsman. But we saw what the GOP base did to Huntsman.
I was a fan of Hunstman the last election. I'm not sure why he doesn't appeal to more mainstream GOP. I suppose it could be he's very centrist with respect to social issues.

This has to be a joke. To say she handled the merger as well as could be expected is like saying hitler did as good a job as could be expected fighting a war on two fronts.

I have no idea how you can say history bears that out, unless you mean it was so awful that HP is out of the pc business.

I was a fan of Hunstman the last election. I'm not sure why he doesn't appeal to more mainstream GOP. I suppose it could be he's very centrist with respect to social issues.

Social issues as well as global warming and evolution. Which, on one hand, keeps him from being a nutcase and, on the other, also keeps him from appealing to the GOP base.

Are you suggesting that the board was "for the merger before they were against the merger?" ... If so, I would agree with you. My memory is fading on this story, but I do remember that she faced a semi-activist board that seemed to not really know what they were looking for. (different standards for different days of the week, etc. plus some back channel communication etc.)

As I recall, the Compaq merger allowed HP to catch the laptop wave, or at least it helped them in that regard. I guess more stuff will come out.

That's plausible. I hope she gets far enough into the primary races that we get to form an informed opinion about this. I don't automatically rule out even a failed CEO - depending on the circumstances and what she's learned from the experience.

Kind of like when Eagleton was discredited as Muskie's running mate when it was learned that he had sought psychological counseling. Yeah, he was treated by a shrink. OTOH, he got that treatment - making him the only candidate who officially had a sound bill of mental health. We are a culture that's too squeamish about that to consider that a plus, but being fired as a CEO isn't necessarily a deal-breaker in my mind.

When they pay you upwards of 20 million to leave that is hardly a failure. she was hired to do something the board later decided they didn't want done. Or at least didn't want done the way it was done. Carly has both supporters and detractors regarding her time at HP. It is not a slam dunk either way. I am not as eloquent as she is but I liked her explanation of what happened.

LOL, people have been saying that since, what, '92?

When they pay you upwards of 20 million to leave that is hardly a failure. she was hired to do something the board later decided they didn't want done. Or at least didn't want done the way it was done. Carly has both supporters and detractors regarding her time at HP. It is not a slam dunk either way. I am not as eloquent as she is but I liked her explanation of what happened.

Lol. Ill ask you the same question I asked Carly during the Q3 4004 earnings call. Try not to give the same bs answer she gave; can you point to any quantitative factor that shows she was a successful ceo?

LINK

She said the first phone call she would make as president would be to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a bid to shore up the U.S.-Israel relationship, and the second call would be to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to inform him of a hard-line approach on sanctions
This statement just leaves me breathless with laughter. The Israeli/US disagreement and the rupture of the two nation's relationship, as reported by the GOP is non-sensical. It amounts to no more than a couple of brothers arguing over who gets the car for the night to take their favorite girl on a date. When push comes to shove everyone knows where both sides sit. Netenyahu needed Obama for his re-election.
It might be worth remembering that Israel is not completely innocent in the mess of the ME, either.
These GOP pols like Fiorina are pandering to their base.

This statement just leaves me breathless with laughter. The Israeli/US disagreement and the rupture of the two nation's relationship, as reported by the GOP is non-sensical. It amounts to no more than a couple of brothers arguing over who gets the car for the night to take their favorite girl on a date. When push comes to shove everyone knows where both sides sit. Netenyahu needed Obama for his re-election.
It might be worth remembering that Israel is not completely innocent in the mess of the ME, either.
These GOP pols like Fiorina are pandering to their base.
I think this might have more to do with the rapture than the rupture.

Lol. Ill ask you the same question I asked Carly during the Q3 4004 earnings call. Try not to give the same bs answer she gave; can you point to any quantitative factor that shows she was a successful ceo?

So you asked a provocative question on one of those nonsensical earnings calls? And she had the courtesy to give you some sort of explanation? Those are Dog-and-Pony shows from start to finish. Once in a while, something newsworthy will take place, but only if it is pre-ordained by the company.

Grandstanding should be left out of such a forum since there is no purpose for it. You can read her letter in the annual report, or just glean through the financials and form your own opinion at the end of the day. If you are writing on the subject, include your (own original) opinion there. If you are managing money, include your opinion into your decision making. Causing a stir is certainly not going to get you a promotion.

So you asked a provocative question on one of those nonsensical earnings calls? And she had the courtesy to give you some sort of explanation? Those are Dog-and-Pony shows from start to finish. Once in a while, something newsworthy will take place, but only if it is pre-ordained by the company.

Grandstanding should be left out of such a forum since there is no purpose for it. You can read her letter in the annual report, or just glean through the financials and form your own opinion at the end of the day. If you are writing on the subject, include your (own original) opinion there. If you are managing money, include your opinion into your decision making. Causing a stir is certainly not going to get you a promotion.

It was my job to ask questions, and i did it in a very courteous way. Her answer about doubling revenues was so laughable Bill Hewlett jumped on the call to ask a follow up, virtually unheard of for a board member to do.

It was my job to ask questions, and i did it in a very courteous way. Her answer about doubling revenues was so laughable Bill Hewlett jumped on the call to ask a follow up, virtually unheard of for a board member to do.

OK ... I stand corrected. Bill Hewlett was the real deal.

I have listened in on a hundred of so of those calls over the years, and have always been amazed at how so many of the analysts ... even well-known and highly regarded analysts seemed to be listening in without even the slightest brush-up ahead of time.

The only thing that will make me a Clinton fan are the republicans running against her. Unfortunately the reublicans are doing a good job of make me a Clinton fan.

The only thing that will make me a Clinton fan are the republicans running against her. Unfortunately the reublicans are doing a good job of make me a Clinton fan.

Fair enough. And I agree.

Even if Bernie and Elizabeth push Hillary to the left enough to make her positions acceptable, how can we trust that she will honor those shifts as prez?

LINK

She said the first phone call she would make as president would be to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a bid to shore up the U.S.-Israel relationship, and the second call would be to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to inform him of a hard-line approach on sanctions
Oh good. Another Israeli-firster. Always a shortage of them.

She will be in Cedar Rapids on thursday at 7:30am at the Blue Strawberry. If you are as smart as you claim to be I am sure you will march right up there and ask this question and I fully expect her to knock you on your keister (figuratively) with her brilliant answer.

She will be in Cedar Rapids on thursday at 7:30am at the Blue Strawberry. If you are as smart as you claim to be I am sure you will march right up there and ask this question and I fully expect her to knock you on your keister (figuratively) with her brilliant answer.

Well I don't live anywhere near Cedar Rapids so I won't be there but I did cover hp for a few years as a buy side analyst and have met with her several times. I'm pretty comfortable in my knowledge of hp but I would love to hear what metric you believe she was successful in as ceo.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Slackers, one and all:

Susan B. Anthony
Martin Luther King, Jr.,
Cesar Chavez
Dorothy Day
Jane Jacobs
Mohandas Gandhi
Jane Addams
Jesus H. Christ

Is this a serious reply? How many of those people became leaders of a nation?
You just likened Obama to Ghandi, Christ and MKL??????? Can you list the "community organizing" accomplishments of Obama?

Holy hell, dude.

At first I thought this thread was about Carla Gugino (Son in Law, Sin City, San Andreas, etc) but then realized it was more politics. I was kind of excited because I've always kind of had a thing for her and feel she's underrated.

Here's some pics because thems the rules

Carla+Gugino+017.jpg

om-van-te-houden-Carla-Gugino_img900_img900.jpg

Carla-Gugino-Plastic-Surgery-Before-After.jpg

I agree. On the zaftig side but a good ad for that body type. I was very disappointed when they cancelled Threshold.

Carly comes out swinging...:rolleyes:
Carly Fiorina buys SethMeyers.org
Presidential candidate Carly Fiorina (R) poked fun at her campaign’s recent website mix-up on NBC’s “The Late Show with Seth Meyers” on Tuesday, revealing to the host that she bought a domain featuring his name.

“Do you know who owns SethMeyers.org?” she asked Meyers.

“I do. I just bought it in the green room actually. So you better be really nice to me tonight.”

SethMeyers.org currently redirects to the website for Fiorina’s presidential campaign, which she announced on Monday.

Or the fact that he's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Just put a 'D' next to his name already.

She did not have a successful run as CEO at HP, but to be fair, getting the job in 1999 and trying to lead them through the the first few years of the 2000s was pretty bad timing for her. The HP/Compaq merger happened because both companies were weakened after the tech bubble burst. There were quite a few tech companies changing CEOs during the first half of the 2000s. She obviously is a pretty competent person to have actually made it to the top of a company the size of HP, particularly one that has a history of being an "engineers" company, but she struggled as the HP CEO.

I have spent a lot of time at the HP offices in Houston and the employees there who came over from Compaq have no fondness for her whatsoever.

It wasn't just the Compaq merger that got Carly in trouble and engendered dissatisfaction with the HP's board, execs, many employees, its company partners (including one that many on HROT here in past years know that I worked for in the past at the time of this deal), and its customers. Carly Fiorina pretty much unilaterally ditched HP's product development efforts for it's own portable devices in the music player and downloads business that Apple was just starting at the time with Ipod and Itunes and hadn't at that point moved Itunes to the PC yet. HP based products along with working with more cross platform services such as Real Networks and Musicmatch that were based on more open music file format standards would have created a more open industry in that marketplace. Fiorina's move to OEM the Ipod really only made Steve Jobs smile as he knew he was going to lock up the industry with that move, and everyone else, including HP, would pay the price for their success.

Opinion: HP's iPod Moves Could Hurt the Industry - 12 Jan 2004

"Last summer, HP announced a sweeping push into consumer electronics and released more than 100 new consumer-oriented products in one day. The move drew a bit of press attention, but nothing like the front-page news assault that Apple Computer generated last week for its comparably weak announcement of expensive, new, and smaller iPod devices, portable audio players that won't be available for months. Attempting to latch on to Apple's marketing success, last week HP made the incredible decision to license Apple's iPod player and iTunes software, and the move predictably catapulted HP into the spotlight for a day. But as the dust settles, HP's customers are rightly asking some hard questions about the decision because, as Microsoft is pointing out, Apple's technology offerings are an island of incompatibility in an otherwise widely compatible PC world.
From Apple's point of view, the HP deal is a major milestone. iPods have sold phenomenally well, and with 30 million paid iTunes Music Store downloads, one could even argue that the Protected AAC format is on a roll by default. But the PC market is many times larger than that figure, and potential music sales to all PC users is an order of magnitude larger than anything Apple could handle by itself. With HP at its side, Apple has a chance to change the world (something that Apple has always promised but never really accomplished)--if the companies can find a way to offer users more choice. Contrary to the opinions of some Apple fanatics, I don't care which media coder-decoders (codecs) or platforms win in the market. (And, for what it's worth, I own two iPods and have downloaded more than 200 songs from the iTunes Music Store.) But looking at the Apple and HP agreement from a customer's point of view, I think that HP has made, well, an interesting choice. If this deal only furthers compatibility problems in the digital-media arena, Apple and HP have just set back the convergence of PCs and consumer electronics an untold number of years. I hope HP's choice isn't one that comes back to bite the company's millions of customers--my number-one concern."

The only person really left smiling was Steve Jobs, and Apple, who had basically locked up that marketplace for themselves at HP's expense, thanks to Carly Fiorina, since the HP distributed Ipod was ditched not too long later, and all of the other things HP had worked on in this space were also toast. In more recently released information just last December, Jobs shows in older emails released after his death, how concerned he was about competition in this space and his need to "shut this down", which this move by Carly Fiorina helped him do.

Steve Jobs’ emails used against Apple in lawsuit

The plaintiffs, which include individuals and businesses that bought iPods between 2006 and 2009, are seeking approximately $350 million for restricting access to competing services – an amount that would be automatically tripled because of antitrust laws.

Several emails from the early days of the iPod detail Jobs’ plan to keep the lion’s share of the digital music industry by allowing only music bought on the iTunes store (or from a CD) to play on an iPod.

Jobs was apparently unconcerned about sending missives that would make antitrust lawyers squirm. In 2003, for example, he wrote an email to Apple executives about software maker Musicmatch launching a digital music store.

“We need to make sure that when Music Match launches their download music store they cannot use iPod,” he noted. “Is this going to be an issue?”

The next year, Jobs was worried about Real Networks launching a music service that could play on iPods without Apple’s blessing.
Eventually, Apple updated its software so music bought from Real could not play on iPods, an action the plaintiffs claim forced consumers to keep buying Apple devices over rival music players.

Apple’s lawyers argue that the company did not have a monopoly on the music player market and that there is no legal mandate for Cupertino to open its devices to competitive services.​

Now would you want her as a leader for our country that would make treaties with the world which in a similar fashion would give them dominance and ownership over us, rather than having us use our own talents to build up our own country and creative strategies here that we've been known for in the past in the same way that she destroyed HP?

There are many reasons why Fiorina was fired. It wasn't just the Compaq merger. HP was known for innovation of its own in the past, having created a printer market and PostScript, etc. and prided itself for many years on how it nurtured it's employees with no layoffs, etc. that engendered a very creative spirit there. And I say that as a person who worked for one of their competitors then too. Fiorina destroyed a lot of that when she was running the ship then. She tried to buy her way in to a senate seat in California. I'd like to think that Americans won't let her buy her way in as president as well. We will all pay for it later if we do let her do this.

Carly comes out swinging...:rolleyes:
Carly Fiorina buys SethMeyers.org
Presidential candidate Carly Fiorina (R) poked fun at her campaign’s recent website mix-up on NBC’s “The Late Show with Seth Meyers” on Tuesday, revealing to the host that she bought a domain featuring his name.

“Do you know who owns SethMeyers.org?” she asked Meyers.

“I do. I just bought it in the green room actually. So you better be really nice to me tonight.”

SethMeyers.org currently redirects to the website for Fiorina’s presidential campaign, which she announced on Monday.
I found this to be amusing ... and true.

You are indeed taken to a Carly Fiorina campaign website.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT