ADVERTISEMENT

Cars with the lowest ownership costs

Arbitr8

HR Legend
May 13, 2009
Lewis Township
Getting a good deal when buying your car is important. But it's just as critical to look down the road at how much a vehicle will cost you to own. Here are the models we've tested that have the lowest and highest owner-cost estimates, per category, over the first five years. The estimates factor in depreciation, fuel cost, loan interest, insurance premiums, sales tax, and maintenance and repairs. These vehicles are equipped with typical options and an automatic transmission, unless noted otherwise.

Hybrids should be outlawed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/buying/cars-with-the-lowest-ownership-costs/ss-BBhLtLD

Reactions: BrianNole09
Originally posted by Arbitr8:

They should at least reverse (retroactively) all of the special tax breaks associated with buying and driving a Hybrid.

... or for manufacturing them.

Paying someone to buy something that makes no economic sense otherwise is the antithesis of our way of life.

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

They should at least reverse (retroactively) all of the special tax breaks associated with buying and driving a Hybrid.

Paying someone to buy something that makes no economic sense otherwise is the antithesis of our way of life.
How about paying for all the hidden costs of gas guzzling cars too. The reason for most of our recent wars is for gas.

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

What tax breaks are there for buying a hybrid?

Originally posted by shawpaw:
Nice to see who was behind the cigaretteman handle.
Hell yeah.

I cannot ever remember in my entire lifetime deliberately going to msn.com. Evidently aol.com doesn't give him all the riveting news the world evidently needs.

Originally posted by Metuo Accipiter:
It's crazy how much people spend on cars. Buying new is such a waste of money.
Until you smell the leather. A car for your kid.....a car if you want something to kick around in, perhaps used is good. If you can afford it......new is the way to go. Trade them every 30k miles or so, and you don't get burned too bad. In many instances, leasing makes sense.

Reactions: ironside1 and dandh
giphy.gif

Getting a good deal when buying your car is important. But it's just as critical to look down the road at how much a vehicle will cost you to own. Here are the models we've tested that have the lowest and highest owner-cost estimates, per category, over the first five years. The estimates factor in depreciation, fuel cost, loan interest, insurance premiums, sales tax, and maintenance and repairs. These vehicles are equipped with typical options and an automatic transmission, unless noted otherwise.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/buying/cars-with-the-lowest-ownership-costs/ss-BBhLtLD

Most of it is depreciation.
Buy low mileage vehicles with good maintenance profiles/history, and you'll save yourself most of that depreciation cost.

Car repairs are FAR less expensive than car payments. A transmission (major repair) or engine rebuild costs $3k or so. That's the same as a ~$300/month car payment, but most "new" cars you're paying 2x or more than that per month. Plus the higher registration fees in many states.

Hell, you can spend $1000 a year on car repairs, and it's still 1/3rd to 1/6th (maybe even 1/10th) what new car payments and depreciation will run you. Vehicles depreciate no matter what, but the steepest end of the curve is at the front.

I'd rather spend my "$400-600 a month car payment" on a $5000-7000 vacation every year. Which is why I haven't had a car payment in >10 years now.

That's more or less my current vehicle tastes. I own a 16 year old and a 12 year old vehicles, both of which were about as good as it got when they were made.

I love both of them, they drive like brand new. Yes, I pour repairs cash into them yearly (my car is getting new brakes tomorrow), but it sure's hell beats car payments.

Until you smell the leather. A car for your kid.....a car if you want something to kick around in, perhaps used is good. If you can afford it......new is the way to go. Trade them every 30k miles or so, and you don't get burned too bad. In many instances, leasing makes sense.

Hey, Joel, we actually agree about something. Maybe it's time to finally buy my first Powerball ticket!

Hey, Joel, we actually agree about something. Maybe it's time to finally buy my first Powerball ticket!
LOL....I have "my" car a '12 Civic I bought on "close out" late in the year...I still drive it...but I don't drive a lot...It has 25600 miles on it.....I have a truck I drive even less, maybe 1000 mile annually...Its a 2000 and has 99k miles on it...I think I have more miles on golf carts....which I lease.

Hmmmm, 5 out of 12 are Toyotas (includes Lexus).

I buy new cars (Toyota) because I can afford to and I'm stupid.

I'm convinced the cheapest way to buy cars to is buy 2 year old cars (good cars, that is) and drive them for 6 years. Rinse, repeat.

I am on my second Honda vehicle and the only thing that EVER went wrong with either one was the A/C on the Civic I used to own.

My current ride is a CR-V with over 100,000 miles and ZERO problems.

Knock wood.

Last edited:

I will continue to enjoy my V8 with a twin turbo.

I'm convinced the cheapest way to buy cars to is buy 2 year old cars (good cars, that is) and drive them for 6 years. Rinse, repeat.

Yes. 2-3 years old (off lease) with a few years of powertrain warranty intact.
Drive for another 5-6 years or so; when they start having routine problems (multiple major repairs per year - not 'normal' stuff like brake jobs), then it's time to replace.

They are going to have to put a monitor on thise electric cars so they can pay their fare share of road taxes.

LOL....I have "my" car a '12 Civic I bought on "close out" late in the year...I still drive it...but I don't drive a lot...It has 25600 miles on it.....I have a truck I drive even less, maybe 1000 mile annually...Its a 2000 and has 99k miles on it...I think I have more miles on golf carts....which I lease.
My wife has a 2015 CR-V, I have a 2017 Ridgeline. Both are paid for. We normally buy new and keep hers until it has 0ver 60k and mine a little over 100k (six to 7 years each). I drive more than she does. I know I could get by cheaper, but I see lots of people who do that with breakdowns, and I haven't had that happen once in over 20 years (since we started buying good quality new cars).

I will retire later this year, and plan to continue that practice. It's worth it to have a very dependable and fairly up-to-date vehicle, imo.

I drive a 2010 white Toyota Corolla with 150,000 miles on it. My reflective vest is in the trunk.

Great car.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT