ADVERTISEMENT

Hertz CEO steps down after figuring out that purchasing 100,000 Teslas was a really stupid idea....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Hertz Global Holdings Inc. is replacing its chief executive officer in the wake of a disastrous bet on electric vehicles that the company began unwinding in recent months.

Stephen Scherr, who ran Hertz for just over two years after three decades at Goldman Sachs Group Inc., has decided to step down, the rental-car company said late Friday in a statement. It’s replacing him with Gil West, the former chief operating officer of General Motors Co.’s Cruise robotaxi unit. West also will join the board of directors on April 1, according to the statement, which confirmed an earlier Bloomberg report.

Scherr, 59, joined Hertz several months after it emerged from bankruptcy and started making splashy wagers on electric vehicles. Under new owners Knighthead Capital Management and Certares Management, the rental company announced plans to order 100,000 vehicles from Tesla Inc., sending the automaker’s market capitalization soaring past the $1 trillion mark at the time.

Hertz doubled down on EVs in the months after Scherr took over, placing big orders with Polestar, the electric-car maker owned by China’s Geely and Sweden’s Volvo Car, and GM. The company ended up buying a small number of cars from the two companies, a spokesperson said.

Those bets went awry last year, when Tesla slashed prices across its lineup to keep growing vehicle sales. This hammered the resale value of used Model 3 sedans and Model Y crossovers just after Hertz had added tens of thousands of those vehicles to its fleet.

By December, Hertz started selling off 20,000 electric vehicles, or about a third of its EV fleet. Germany’s Sixt SE — a leading car-renter in Europe — is taking even more drastic measures, phasing Teslas out of its fleet entirely.

Hertz announced its EV sell-down plans in January, citing lackluster demand, costly depreciation and expensive repairs. The Estero, Florida-based company took a $245 million charge and reported its biggest quarterly loss since the pandemic.

Shares of Hertz fell 2% after regular trading in New York Friday.

Most Americans are not ready to buy electric cars and they
also do not want to rent them. Tesla is not going to be a
good investment in the stock market at the present time.
The premature excitement over Tesla has hit reality with
its expensive costs.

its expensive costs.
They’re fun to drive, but if you’ve got to get somewhere far away you’ve got to schedule at least one 30 minute stop. And that’s if you’ve got fast chargers on your route

Funny reading this now. Just got back from spring break in Rhode Island (I know, sounds strange but it was fantastic) and rented from Hertz and they had switched our rental to an EV. At first we were kind of excited but as we debated on way out there we switched up to gas. Just did not want to have to learn how to drive and how and where and when to charge with Providence and Newport and Cape Cod not being in our back yard.

Which probably is main reason it was a bad idea. If it was in Tallahassee, we would have for sure been fine with it. But it’s not something travelers unfamiliar with EV, which are like 95% of their customers, want to figure out on vacation. Well, most of the older ones like this GenX one at least.

Last edited:
The car rental business is really the car resale business. Tesla screwed them on the price drop.

Ford recently did something similar with Lightnings and Mustang EV's. And Ford/Stellantis are really having issues selling just about anything at the moment. Imagine buying a Lightning/Mustang E and learning a week later Ford dropped the Lightning price $15,000 or a Mustang E $8,000. Hell, Stellantis just recently began steep discounts and they still can't sell anything.

The new car business isn't exactly good at the moment. Some are selling, many make/models aren't selling at all. Interest rates, tighter credit, customers pushing back on absolutely ungodly high prices...lots of things contributing to it.

I saw something yesterday...there something like 250+ different new vehicles out there being made, and only NINE of them have a base price under $25,000. NINE.

Lots of $75,000+ Rams, Jeeps, and F-150/F-250's for sale though. A WHOLE LOT OF 'EM.

its expensive costs.
My siblings and I are planning a trip together next month to see our very elderly aunt who lives up in rural Alabama.
We plan to rent a Suburban because each of us have SUv’s that can accommodate the four of us - but not our luggage.
The terror and uncertainty of having any sort of an EV on an extended road trip would make it a complete no-go. Maybe in a few years but certainly not at this time.
WTH was this guy thinking?

Last edited:
I was informed that Teslas and genius boy would take over the car world. Was I misinformed?

Ford recently did something similar with Lightnings and Mustang EV's. And Ford/Stellantis are really having issues selling just about anything at the moment. Imagine buying a Lightning/Mustang E and learning a week later Ford dropped the Lightning price $15,000 or a Mustang E $8,000. Hell, Stellantis just recently began steep discounts and they still can't sell anything.

The new car business isn't exactly good at the moment. Some are selling, many make/models aren't selling at all. Interest rates, tighter credit, customers pushing back on absolutely ungodly high prices...lots of things contributing to it.

I saw something yesterday...there something like 250+ different new vehicles out there being made, and only NINE of them have a base price under $25,000. NINE.

Lots of $75,000+ Rams, Jeeps, and F-150/F-250's for sale though. A WHOLE LOT OF 'EM.
They absolutely stuck it to the buying public over the past few years, especially people trying to buy decent used vehicles. I don’t feel sorry for them.

Because you need a new set of tires every 20,000 miles because EVs are as heavy as a base Ford F-350 but they don't have the giant-ass tires that a big truck has.

AND they require special, extra-expensive tires....
This is not true. I changed the tires on my 4,600 pound model S at around 60k miles and 6 years or so of usage. The only way you get the kind of wear you mention is if you are exclusively in Plaid or ludicrous mode and constantly accelerate to the max ability of the car. That simply isn’t practical, or even possible, in normal driving scenarios.

You are reading the wrong propaganda.

Good idea on paper but too early for prime time.

I’ve always rented from Hertz, get a steep discount because of my profession, and noticed tons of Tesla options, I never even gave one thought to renting one. Chevy impala is my go to.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Yep, not one ounce of in-shop maintenance on my 2021 Tesla Y. And Tesla comes to you for tire rotation. Musk is an asshole but Teslas are great. Oh yea, 31,000 miles on my original tires. At least 10 round trips from Phoenix to San Diego with no issues. And taking a 30 minute and 15 minute stop to charge…..oh the horrors.

This person sounds like an absolute idiot. Why would you travel a long distance with no spare tire?

Yeah they make bike tire type spares that you could put in the trunk. Just like any other car. ~$300. Any tire shop worth a crap should have been able to do this in an hour. Sounds like she was out in the boonies. Tough luck.

This is not true. I changed the tires on my 4,600 pound model S at around 60k miles and 6 years or so of usage. The only way you get the kind of wear you mention is if you are exclusively in Plaid or ludicrous mode and constantly accelerate to the max ability of the car. That simply isn’t practical, or even possible, in normal driving scenarios.

You are reading the wrong propaganda.

Trad is an ICE guy that goes on 10 hour 600 mile car trips no stopping regularly. No EV will fit that bill so he is strongly opposed. Real tough guy. Don’t get him started on gift cards though.

Reactions: peacehawk
Kinda like the excitement everyone felt when the Pinto or the Corvair were given the death sentence. People were rushing out like crazy to buy them at a steep discount.
Were you even around when those were on the road? Good times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT