ADVERTISEMENT

Carver Hawkaisle Arena

GoB1G

Team MVP
Jun 26, 2019
Such an efficient use of space at floor level.
5’ aisle/4 people/5’ aisle/6 people/5’ aisle/10 people/5’ aisle/10 people/5’ aisle/6 people/5’ aisle/4 people/5’ aisle/rinse/repeat.
Lower level is 50% aisle and it doesn’t work. It’s embarrassing. Gut it and start over again.

It's not even 4,000--the sellout vs Utah State was 3,250, the size of a modest high school gym. But the people there were into the game, unlike way too many folks who show up at Carver. Why bother to go if you're just going to sit there? It makes no sense.

The U of I needs to rethink everything about Carver, including doing as the OP said and gutting the place and starting over OR building a new arena in a central location. I also would like to see students admitted free, like they do at Duke, and give them the bottom 20 ways on at least one half of the facility. Cut the price of public tickets. Fill the place up and let people spend money on concessions if they wish, but get them into the building. Lower prices mean more lively fans. The NIT crowds prove that.

Barta should be embarrassed at the state of things in Carver, but he's oblivious or he'd have made major changes long ago. Just like he ignores the gaping wound in the football program--no offense. But he's never held KF accountable, and he never will. Just like he'll never do anything to upgrade Carver, which is why it's time for the new U of I president to step in and name a new AD. That's our only hope on either issue.

5’ aisle/4 people/5’ aisle/6 people/5’ aisle/10 people/5’ aisle/10 people/5’ aisle/6 people/5’ aisle/4 people/5’ aisle/rinse/repeat.
Lower level is 50% aisle and it doesn’t work. It’s embarrassing. Gut it and start over again.
Been told that's due to fire code. Being all the exits are at the top of arena there had to be more aisles to accommodate mass exodus.

It's not even 4,000--the sellout vs Utah State was 3,250, the size of a modest high school gym. But the people there were into the game, unlike way too many folks who show up at Carver. Why bother to go if you're just going to sit there? It makes no sense.

The U of I needs to rethink everything about Carver, including doing as the OP said and gutting the place and starting over OR building a new arena in a central location. I also would like to see students admitted free, like they do at Duke, and give them the bottom 20 ways on at least one half of the facility. Cut the price of public tickets. Fill the place up and let people spend money on concessions if they wish, but get them into the building. Lower prices mean more lively fans. The NIT crowds prove that.

Barta should be embarrassed at the state of things in Carver, but he's oblivious or he'd have made major changes long ago. Just like he ignores the gaping wound in the football program--no offense. But he's never held KF accountable, and he never will. Just like he'll never do anything to upgrade Carver, which is why it's time for the new U of I president to step in and name a new AD. That's our only hope on either issue.
Im not sure how you go about changing the student culture.

Winning helps.

I know not trying anything is not the answer.

Bartas to concerned with maximizing profits. Normally I wouldn't criticize someone for that but sometimes you have to take a step back to get where you want to end up.

Reactions: Jonnymungo and nu2u
I had seats at the Fieldhouse as a student, sure, I had to look around a steel pillar, but I was there. The fieldhouse was the single best home court advantage in the country. I'm not kidding. It was one of the loudest freaking places I've ever been...and the place just shook when the crowd got going. That crowd willed Lute's teams to victory in some pretty difficult games. Crazy place.

I also had student season seat the first year in Carver with 3 of my fellow students. Great seats...and after the first quarter of the first game, we wanted to go back to the Fieldhouse. They designed the place for comfort and accessibility for the money crowd. It was a sad, sad day when we realize that noise escapes through the concourse.

students should be able to go to all university athletic competitions for free. they pay enough to attend the school as it is. and like you said get more people in the door and sell more concessions.

Students don't go to games because the atmosphere is terrible, it has little do with money.

I went to Mackey Arena and they packed the students in there, I bet it was 40% students in attendance. That place was BUZZING.

Do you honestly think kids from Indiana are that much different than kids from Iowa?

Mackey provides an intimate experience that puts your right on top of the action, probably similar to our old Fieldhouse. In Carver students are so far away from the court due to the way the arena is designed. You may as well watch on TV.

We have a huge surplus of money from TV rights, now is the time to invest in a new basketball arena that can draw in a crowd and provide a home court advantage.

Honestly, I don't think it matters where the hell you put it either. Downtown or out by the interstate. If it's a great venue, students and all fans will find a way to get there. Just need to give them a reason to.

I think it’d help if they play some of their non cons at mediacom arena.. especially the ones against SE Louisiana type teams

Reactions: kwinks1

Some good ideas here. I'd like to lower ticket prices but they have to make up for selling $85 season tickets to frugal wrestling fans who turn around and get cocky for showing up and averaging almost as much as basketball in their 6 whole home events. And I like wrestling, just not a basketball hater so I don't really fit in.

Barta did great with North end zone, now he needs to focus on the damage he did with the disastrous Lick hire. Enclosing the concourse up top and moving the students should have been done a long time ago

Some good ideas here. I'd like to lower ticket prices but they have to make up for selling $85 season tickets to frugal wrestling fans who turn around and get cocky for showing up and averaging almost as much as basketball in their 6 whole home events. And I like wrestling, just not a basketball hater so I don't really fit in.

Barta did great with North end zone, now he needs to focus on the damage he did with the disastrous Lick hire. Enclosing the concourse up top and moving the students should have been done a long time ago
Almost as much as basketball?? Wrestling attendance puts basketball attendance to shame. And don't give me this tickets sold BS, there was a bball game earlier this year where listed attendance was about triple what was actually there. Place looked empty. Every wrestling dual is damn near full and rocking. LOL at comparing the 2.

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Almost as much as basketball?? Wrestling attendance puts basketball attendance to shame. And don't give me this tickets sold BS, there was a bball game earlier this year where listed attendance was about triple what was actually there. Place looked empty. Every wrestling dual is damn near full and rocking. LOL at comparing the 2.

If there were six basketball games scheduled at CHA, four of which were conference games and a fifth game being against a ranked team, how do you think the crowd would be for that?

I think you are trolling to get a rise out of people here but I don't think you will find too many people willing to stand up and defend Carver-Hawkeye Arena. It was a great idea that had a few fatal flaws that weren't caught in the early design phase. God only knows what will happen if they ever have to evacuate everyone very quickly from that building.

Agree, but don't gut the whole thing just the first 10 rows. You don't need that wide of and aisle for that many people down low, just up higher. Seriously, you watch it on TV and all you see is aisle. Put in bleachers in the first few rows and put in some students. That's cheap and easy, and would look so much better on the tube. And yes, you'd get students if you offered the seats up at 10 bucks a pop.

I'm not an engineer, but could you lower the floor and extend the seats so that they're closer to the court? Block off the view from the concourse and then you could put in a club section at the top of the arena complete with waiters for those who are just there to drink and soak up the sporting atmosphere.

Reactions: unclesammy
Fire regulations. Plain and simple.

I had seats at the Fieldhouse as a student, sure, I had to look around a steel pillar, but I was there. The fieldhouse was the single best home court advantage in the country. I'm not kidding. It was one of the loudest freaking places I've ever been...and the place just shook when the crowd got going. That crowd willed Lute's teams to victory in some pretty difficult games. Crazy place.

I also had student season seat the first year in Carver with 3 of my fellow students. Great seats...and after the first quarter of the first game, we wanted to go back to the Fieldhouse. They designed the place for comfort and accessibility for the money crowd. It was a sad, sad day when we realize that noise escapes through the concourse.
My dad took me to the last Amana Classic at the Fieldhouse as a kid. It was sooo much fun. I remember my ears hurting. I still have the program. Steve Carfino, Greg Stokes, Michael Payne...

The bleachers on the floor came almost right up to the player's bench and oh man.....those metal bleachers in the upper deck! Iowa fans could really raise a ruckus there.
That said, I've been to a few games at Carver that were maddingly loud and raucous. It can be an intimidating arena.

I don’t understand why we can’t build ourselves a new, highly impressive arena that seats 10K.

We should mimic it after DePaul’s newish stadium, Wintrust, which is a thing of beauty.

I don’t understand why we can’t build ourselves a new, highly impressive arena that seats 10K.

We should mimic it after DePaul’s newish stadium, Wintrust, which is a thing of beauty.

Only if Iowa would be dumb enough to build an arena 2,500+ less than what they average in attendance.

I’m sure Barta wouldn’t be ridiculed for that maneuver. Ticket prices, especially on the secondary market, would be fun to watch though. I’m sure those wouldn’t go up any.

Only if Iowa would be dumb enough to build an arena 2,500+ less than what they average in attendance.

I’m sure Barta wouldn’t be ridiculed for that maneuver. Ticket prices, especially on the secondary market, would be fun to watch though. I’m sure those wouldn’t go up any.
I went to a lot of games in the Fieldhouse and it was very loud and a very great home advantage. It also was a shitty place to watch a game otherwise. A new place was not only needed but well overdue, and the opening of Hilton made it mandatory.
Mrs LC and I gave some money to building the new place partly because we wanted to be able to buy season tickets and partly because we had watched too many games from behind a pillar. We wouldn’t have donated if the university had been honest about naming the place. They were specifically asked by donors who gave a lot more than us if it would be named for any individual and were told absolutely not, it would be Hawkeye Arena. We all know how that turned out.
So I’m prejudiced. But that doesn’t explain the fan culture. Mike Hlas summed it up perfectly in the early ‘80s when he said the Hilton fans come to rattle the opponent while the CHA fans come to rattle their jewelry.
I

Reactions: redbirdhawk

Idiotic comment about KF that wasn't needed ****ing idiot.

Waive the stinking fire code! Seriously, what are the chances of a concrete and metal structure with no inside walls burning down before people escape?
Doesn’t work that way, unfortunately. I work in a brand new water plant, and they had very strict fire code requirements in this facility when it was designed this past decade. In the Ames water plant, of all places, where we have great tasting water. ;)

Doesn’t work that way, unfortunately. I work in a brand new water plant, and they had very strict fire code requirements in this facility when it was designed this past decade. In the Ames water plant, of all places, where we have great tasting water. ;)
Fire codes are just municipal ordinances. It wouldn’t take but a vote of the council. I imagine there are chemicals involved in a water plant that make fires a bit more problematic.

Almost as much as basketball?? Wrestling attendance puts basketball attendance to shame. And don't give me this tickets sold BS, there was a bball game earlier this year where listed attendance was about triple what was actually there. Place looked empty. Every wrestling dual is damn near full TVand rocking. LOL at comparing the 2.
6 events, #1 ranking (of 78 teams vs 353) mostly on weekends that you can buy for less than 1 football ticket vs 19 events and now unranked post Garza. Convenient. I'm guessing that #1 ranking helps too, remind me what it was like last decade when they were getting owned by upstart Penn St.

I watch and root for IA wrestling but their cult fans are delusional. IOWA BASKETBALL STILL AVERAGED MORE pre pandemic even with all those crap non conf games and much more expensive tickets. That's a fact. Maybe wrestling fans should stop talking shit and be thankful Iowa has a football and basketball program that can afford to support a welfare program like wrestling. Freeloaders.

If the fans were so great they would be willing to pay WAY more and carry their own weight financially

Last edited:

I remember when CHA first opened, (1983?), people questioned if 15,500 seats were enough.

Fire codes are just municipal ordinances. It wouldn’t take but a vote of the council. I imagine there are chemicals involved in a water plant that make fires a bit more problematic.

I've actually been in CHA when they had a fire break out in a concessions area. There are still dangers and fire codes are not going to be changed to appease folks that have some crazy plans to change CHA that is never going to happen.

Im not sure how you go about changing the student culture.

Winning helps.

I know not trying anything is not the answer.

Bartas to concerned with maximizing profits. Normally I wouldn't criticize someone for that but sometimes you have to take a step back to get where you want to end up.
Building an arena downtown next to where the students hang out would be a good start.
Make going to the game an event and not a winter trek through Siberia.

Where, in downtown Iowa City, would you recommend annexing and tearing down extremely valuable property, to build an arena and suitable parking?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT