ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Cunningham ever going to lead a program?

How many NC's do Iowa's Top 10 P4P recruits have?

Under Brands or All-Time?

All-Time would take a while to count and be even harder to verify.

Under Brands, I have actually done this before and there have NOT been all that many top 10 recruits. Metcalf was his 1st Top 10 recruit and he went 1,2,1 while also losing a year of eligibility. Ramos was ranked 10th so you can add his 1 championship as he went R12,3,2,1. You also now have Lee's 2for2. Nate Moore was a top 10, but didn't stay at Iowa for Long. Evans took 6th, 3 times. Then from 2011-2015, Iowa did not recruit a top 10. Since then, they have Kemerer-3rd and 4th so far out of 2 tries, Marinelli-6th and 7th out of 2 tries and Warner-7th in his 1st try.

So, his top 10 recruits that actually wrestled for him went-
Metcalf- Ineligible,1,2,1
Nate Moore-quickly ineligible and transferred out.
Ramos-R12,3,2,1
Evans-DNP,6,6,6
Kemerer-3,4,?,?
Marinelli-6,7,?,?
Lee-1,1,?,?
Warner-7,?,?,?

Every coach on every level teaches 99% of the same techniques. PSU May have a tendency to use that 1% on an ankle pic series. Iowa on a bar arm series. NC state on leg rides, etc.

Cael isn’t better at teaching wrestling. At this level, it’s about connecting with your guys to get the most out of them.

I would imagine if you blindly guaged the mat teaching of all coaches at this level, it’d be hard to separate Cael from Eggum.
This post looks reasonable but is completely wrong imo. The difference between good and great is situational wrestling and is tied to recruiting. If you recruit good guys you will have to spend valuable coaching time shoring up the basics to make that wrestler an AA, little time is left helping that guy reach the top, which requires knowing what to do in different positions. You recruit a great wrestler and you can target situational positions moreso to get the great ones to the next level (multiple NC). Recruiting and coaching are tied at the hip. They go hand in hand. By recruiting top end kids, the coaching style changes as well.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Under Brands or All-Time?

So, his top 10 recruits that actually wrestled for him went-
Metcalf- Ineligible,1,2,1
Nate Moore-quickly ineligible and transferred out.
Ramos-R12,3,2,1
Evans-DNP,6,6,6
Kemerer-3,4,?,?
Marinelli-6,7,?,?
Lee-1,1,?,?
Warner-7,?,?,?

Nate Moore wrestled a couple of years for Iowa and then got a staff infection in his knee after surgery and never wrestled again.

Nate Moore wrestled a couple of years for Iowa and then got a staff infection in his knee after surgery and never wrestled again.

Thanks, definitely misremembered his time, although it was still limited, and also the why. I believe I switched Nates and was thinking Skonieczny?

This is a silly post. Not disputing that karl can coach, but suggesting that he is doing something, from a mat coaching perspective, that is head and shoulders above what other active coaches do, is silly and proven incorrect when you look at his results at ISU..

ISU?? Are you kidding me?

Cael wrestles Cassar virtually every day. From unranked walk on recruit to national champion - case closed!

Reactions: lionlover
Cassar was 2015 National Freestyle Champion and World team member @96kg he was already Good.
Unranked walk on my ass :) He was already Good.

HeH was both unranked and a walk on

Facts can be painful.

Per Flo - https://www.flowrestling.org/rankin...rankings/14109-2014-recruiting-class-rankings

Cassar was not ranked, they listed him as "other". But I get your argument 3rd string 197 at the start of 2018 to 2019 national champion and Cael has nothing to do with it? I will grant it was 70%+ Cassar and his dedication and work ethic and 30% skills homed by Cael himself on the mat

"#1-Penn State Nittany Lions5-Year Cycle: #6, #18, #4, #3

Ranked Recruits:

#1-Jason Nolf, PA (165)

#1-Nick Nevills, CA (HWT)

#2-Bo Nickal, TX (184)

#7-Corey Rasheed, NY (174)

#16-Gary Dinmore, NJ (157)

Others: Jordan Pagano, NJ (157); Kyle Baker, PA (157); Anthony Cassar, NJ (197)

HeH was both unranked and a walk on

Facts can be painful.

Per Flo - https://www.flowrestling.org/rankin...rankings/14109-2014-recruiting-class-rankings

Cassar was not ranked, they listed him as "other". But I get your argument 3rd string 197 at the start of 2018 to 2019 national champion and Cael has nothing to do with it? I will grant it was 70%+ Cassar and his dedication and work ethic and 30% skills homed by Cael himself on the mat

"#1-Penn State Nittany Lions5-Year Cycle: #6, #18, #4, #3

Ranked Recruits:

#1-Jason Nolf, PA (165)

#1-Nick Nevills, CA (HWT)

#2-Bo Nickal, TX (184)

#7-Corey Rasheed, NY (174)

#16-Gary Dinmore, NJ (157)

Others: Jordan Pagano, NJ (157); Kyle Baker, PA (157); Anthony Cassar, NJ (197)
This was pre-roids though right?

ISU?? Are you kidding me?

Cael wrestles Cassar virtually every day. From unranked walk on recruit to national champion - case closed!

I cracked up when I read where Cael said (paraphrase): "I feel a little better about the decline of my wrestling skills after watching Cassar beat Steveson."

He would just replace him with bo nickals, David taylor, etc etc.

As much as I love Nickal, he is so unorthodox sometimes that I would tend to believe that Taylor would be a better coach/teacher as more of a fundamentalist.

I remember when Nickal pinned Martin in the 2018 finals, Taylor applauded Nickal but said that he would never instruct his wrestlers to make that move.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I've heard the upper weights talk about wrestling with Cael and Varner in the room. Never Cunningham.

Then you haven't been paying attention:

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_2d7a5585-ed84-5f5e-829d-2b6c064942d1.html

Quotes from Quentin Wright (197) and Ed Ruth (184) about wrestling Casey.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article42815682.html

Quotes from Casey about wrestling Quentin

Ben Provisor talks about Casey still beating everyone up.

And there is at least one coaches show with Bo where he talk about wrestling Casey. I'm trying to find it.

Casey doesn't spend as much time with the 197 and 285 as much as he used to, simply because Varner is there, but 157 - 197, they all give Casey a ton of credit.

Cael really does have a unique situation. In a podcast his brother mentioned that he wrestles "everyday" - and we all heard the quotes from Cassar about his one-on-ones with Cael. He doesn't ever really RUN practice in the traditional sense. That's Cody and Casey. But Casey

Then you haven't been paying attention:

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_2d7a5585-ed84-5f5e-829d-2b6c064942d1.html

Quotes from Quentin Wright (197) and Ed Ruth (184) about wrestling Casey.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article42815682.html

Quotes from Casey about wrestling Quentin

Ben Provisor talks about Casey still beating everyone up.

And there is at least one coaches show with Bo where he talk about wrestling Casey. I'm trying to find it.

Casey doesn't spend as much time with the 197 and 285 as much as he used to, simply because Varner is there, but 157 - 197, they all give Casey a ton of credit.

Cael really does have a unique situation. In a podcast his brother mentioned that he wrestles "everyday" - and we all heard the quotes from Cassar about his one-on-ones with Cael. He doesn't ever really RUN practice in the traditional sense. That's Cody and Casey. But Casey

Before Cael cam to town a lot of that elite PA talent was going elsewhere:

“That was one of the criticisms of the old Penn State, was all these top recruits from Pennsylvania were leaving and they were going to other schools and they’re becoming All-Americans and national champions for other schools,” McKnight said. “I think that was one of the reasons why, there were tons of them, but when Cael (Sanderson) came in, one of the huge draws was to keep these Pa. boys in Pennsylvania, wrestling for Penn State. Quentin was one of the frontrunners for doing that.”

Now Brands got religion and is following Cael's lead to get that elite PA talent.

PA is to wrestling like Florida is to football when it comes to elite talent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT