ADVERTISEMENT

Celebrate the win, but one glaring weakness

resultsads

Rookie
Jan 2, 2009
Spencer, IA.
Saw a stat on X sometime near the end of the 3rd quarter that we were 9/18 on layups. It's been a nagging problem since the B1G tournament. If we can't hit the bunnies Sunday and go cold from 3, it's going to be a long afternoon. Heard on a Hawkeye podcast (I think it was Kachine Alexander) that if a slump lasts more than a few games, it's a trend and we're at trend territory with missing layups. Not sure if we're afraid of contact or expecting fouls to be called, but those have to go in at a higher rate than 50%.

Ummm, half of those layups had significant contact with no call. Calling layups missed is one thing, missing even a short shot while getting bumped hacked or otherwise is a different thing. Hannah going through 2 arms that should have been an and 1. I know Syd and Kate had at least 2 drives with misses where significant contact. Let’s hope the game is called a little tighter.

Women are shorter, can't jump as high, don't have as much strength to control the ball while in the air. It makes layups more like regular shots even with a smaller ball. There's also a lot more pressure in games like this.

Reactions: hawkeye_wx
I think quite a few of those were because we were so far under the basket with no where to go with it and they would just throw it up[ when they could because they were so afraid of the block.
they really need to work on picking up their dribble on their drives and leaving themselves with zero outs--IZ think that made for a lot of our turnovers

I think quite a few of those were because we were so far under the basket with no where to go with it and they would just throw it up[ when they could because they were so afraid of the block.
they really need to work on picking up their dribble on their drives and leaving themselves with zero outs--IZ think that made for a lot of our turnovers
Hannah, Kate & O'grady need to work on a little fadeaway in close. They shoot right into the defense & get blocked too often. They'll need a little fadeaway against SC's height. points in the paint will be tough on Sunday

Hannah, Kate & O'grady need to work on a little fadeaway in close. They shoot right into the defense & get blocked too often. They'll need a little fadeaway against SC's height. points in the paint will be tough on Sunday
The Illini should have heeded this advice before they played Uconn.... ;)

We're short compared to most of our opponents. Most of our close-in misses aren't "bunnies", they're shots being contested by taller players.

Saw a stat on X sometime near the end of the 3rd quarter that we were 9/18 on layups. It's been a nagging problem since the B1G tournament. If we can't hit the bunnies Sunday and go cold from 3, it's going to be a long afternoon. Heard on a Hawkeye podcast (I think it was Kachine Alexander) that if a slump lasts more than a few games, it's a trend and we're at trend territory with missing layups. Not sure if we're afraid of contact or expecting fouls to be called, but those have to go in at a higher rate than 50%.
Do you have the stats for the last 4 games how many lay-ups we missed?

I think the thing I hated about last night the most was the volume of uncontested shots UConn was allowed to take. Thankfully they missed a lot of them. I don’t know if we don’t have enough gas in the tank after playing offense to play good defense, but it was alarming.

Iowa gave up way too many uncontested shots with no D in their face as stated while Iowa constantly had a person at them while shooting or was being held or grabbed most of the time. So much for freedom of movement in the game as it should be called with all the grabbing and bodying up of CC22.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I guess it's just basketball, and I don't think men are immune to the same type of frustrating misses, which often seem inexplicable.

Most of the misses last night that stand out weren't contested misses, but rather timid shooting anticipating contact. That's what is frustrating to watch. The team hits even 2-3 more of these, or knocks down some 3s, the game would have played out as I anticipated, but now instead of being excited to play SC it looks more and more likely they get routed because SC is exceptionally better than that UConn team. Can't miss bunnies, free throws, or uncontested 3s and expect to keep up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT