ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Moore

Are we sure that is his current list? Figured Memphis wouldn't be listed since he decommitted so fast. I'm probably reading into it too much.

Not sure at all. The only thing that I know is that the tweet occurred tonight so I assume it's current but never know, I can see where he would keep Memphis on the list even though he decommitted from them though.

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout 1 hour ago
Morgan Park 2016 PG Charlie Moore says he has offers from Seton Hall, Miami, SMU, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Georgia Tech, Missouri, & Iowa

Recent tweet regarding Moore. No idea who he is or the accuracy of his tweet. IA should stack up favorably against these other offers I would think.

No idea about his timetable and of course there are reports of others being interested who may not have yet offered.

Looks like Moore said no the first time and not the other way around. Would be a great pickup if Fran could get him

As I recall, last June the rumors were Iowa and Illinois were leading the rest for Charlie Moore's services. Then the month of July came and we were warned on here that Mac Irvin Fire players tended to take their time making decisions. Then there was talk that North Carolina may become interested. Then Moore came out with a list of four schools he would visit, we weren't on it. Then we were told that things might be getting a little too convoluted with our recruitment of Moore. That means as is often the case we were up against some schools, and some handlers who aren't always dealing on the up and up. About that time August hit and we offered Bohannon.

On a personal note that's when CyCity and I had one of our debates. I still say nobody offered in August is a fallback. :)

Anyway, right after that any interest in us from Moore, whatever was left anyway as he was "considering" Iowa would get a visit, disappeared. He had an unofficial in June so he may have felt he didn't need an official. But, when one looks at the schools he considered, it sure wasn't a lineup of places with a reputation of clean dealing.

Does that mean we don't want him? No. What we don't want is to get caught up in that mess that took place last summer. And by now Moore certainly knows that. I'd still put our odds at getting him down around 5%.

(This is from memory and much is just my opinion.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ihawkhoops and nu2u
As I recall, last June the rumors were Iowa and Illinois were leading the rest for Charlie Moore's services. Then the month of July came and we were warned on here that Martin Brothers players tended to take their time making decisions. Then there was talk that North Carolina may become interested. Then Moore came out with a list of four schools he would visit, we weren't on it. Then we were told that things might be getting a little too convoluted with our recruitment of Moore. That means as is often the case we were up against some schools, and some handlers who aren't always dealing on the up and up. About that time August hit and we offered Bohannon.

On a personal note that's when CyCity and I had one of our debates. I still say nobody offered in August is a fallback. :)

Anyway, right after that any interest in us from Moore, whatever was left anyway as he was "considering" Iowa would get a visit, disappeared. He had an unofficial in June so he may have felt he didn't need an official. But, when one looks at the schools he considered, it sure wasn't a lineup of places with a reputation of clean dealing.

Does that mean we don't want him? No. What we don't want is to get caught up in that mess that took place last summer. And by now Moore certainly knows that. I'd still put our odds at getting him down around 5%.

I think one key thing you are forgetting, and most on the board seemed to have also forgotten, was Moore's father having a stroke right in the midst of that timeline. I read an article in the Chicago Tribune last week about the story. I'll try to dig it up to link, but essentially his dad was one of the really influential people in his life and had been pushing him with basketball since age 3. The article didn't mention schools or anything, but reading between the lines I feel like Iowa and Illinois were in the lead up until the point where his dad has his health issues. I recall Moore putting his recruiting on hold. That's when we seemed to pick up our interest in Bohannon. From other tumors circling the Internet, in his fathers absence Moore may have been persuaded by some other people entering his life (i.e. handlers). His new list of schools to visit came out and none of the schools he had been high on were in it anymore.

I'm working just as much on memory and speculation as you Dan, but I feel like maybe we have a twinkle of hope in landing Moore if his father is back in the picture as a persuading force more so than some of the other influencers who may have entered Charlie's life in his absence.

Edit: found the link.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...27-prep-bbk-mr-basketball-20160326-story.html

As I recall, last June the rumors were Iowa and Illinois were leading the rest for Charlie Moore's services. Then the month of July came and we were warned on here that Martin Brothers players tended to take their time making decisions. Then there was talk that North Carolina may become interested. Then Moore came out with a list of four schools he would visit, we weren't on it. Then we were told that things might be getting a little too convoluted with our recruitment of Moore. That means as is often the case we were up against some schools, and some handlers who aren't always dealing on the up and up. About that time August hit and we offered Bohannon.

Good post. Despite being Mr. Basketball in IL, it does not appear he was coveted by a lot of upper tier programs. He ends up going to a class optional program like Memphis to play for a coach who is cut from the same cloth as Quin Snyder. Pastner exits to G'Tech, but no offer to Moore from the Yellow Jackets that I have seen. He gets interest from WI, NW, DePaul and Larry Brown's latest probation victim.

On one hand, offers from WI and NW must mean the kid is a decent student and not a knuckle head. On the other, it seems legitimate programs seem to lose interest once they engage with the kid.

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
Good post. Despite being Mr. Basketball in IL, it does not appear he was coveted by a lot of upper tier programs. He ends up going to a class optional program like Memphis to play for a coach who is cut from the same cloth as Quin Snyder. Pastner exits to G'Tech, but no offer to Moore from the Yellow Jackets that I have seen. He gets interest from WI, NW, DePaul and Larry Brown's latest probation victim.

On one hand, offers from WI and NW must mean the kid is a decent student and not a knuckle head. On the other, it seems legitimate programs seem to lose interest once they engage with the kid.

Charlie was the de facto top senior Chicago basketball player of the year. Charlie was not the best HS basketball player in the state of IL. Jordan Goodwin was the best. Jordan was a junior. Chicago Sun Times Sports guy Joe Hendricksen even says so. Joe knows and has seen a lot of IL HS game and prospects over the years.

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com...-makes-jordan-goodwin-states-top-player-tick/

Last edited:
I think one key thing you are forgetting, and most on the board seemed to have also forgotten, was Moore's father having a stroke right in the midst of that timeline. I read an article in the Chicago Tribune last week about the story. I'll try to dig it up to link, but essentially his dad was one of the really influential people in his life and had been pushing him with basketball since age 3. The article didn't mention schools or anything, but reading between the lines I feel like Iowa and Illinois were in the lead up until the point where his dad has his health issues. I recall Moore putting his recruiting on hold. That's when we seemed to pick up our interest in Bohannon. From other tumors circling the Internet, in his fathers absence Moore may have been persuaded by some other people entering his life (i.e. handlers). His new list of schools to visit came out and none of the schools he had been high on were in it anymore.

I'm working just as much on memory and speculation as you Dan, but I feel like maybe we have a twinkle of hope in landing Moore if his father is back in the picture as a persuading force more so than some of the other influencers who may have entered Charlie's life in his absence.

Edit: found the link.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...27-prep-bbk-mr-basketball-20160326-story.html

Thanks!

Reactions: Gary1948

Mac Irvin Fire not Martin Brothers and there was some scuttlebutt that things were getting a little "shady" and Fran backed away.

By shady, I believe people thought there were some financial considerations or requests being made by either Mac Irvin Fire or by Charlie's handlers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanL53
It's nice seeing you post on the free boards again, Dan. I've always enjoyed your insight and opinions.

Thanks, I've just got to learn to let the water flow off my back sometimes.
Mac Irving Fire not Martin Brothers and there was some scuttlebutt that things were getting a little "shady" and Fran backed away.

By shady, I believe people thought there were some financial considerations or requests being made by either Mac Irving Fire or by Charlie's handlers.

Thanks, correct, changed it. My stupid mind! Stupid, stupid mind! (Plan 9 from Outer Space....sort of)

Reactions: texashawkeye87

Thanks, correct, changed it. My stupid mind! Stupid, stupid mind! (Plan 9 from Outer Space....sort of)

Yep, keep posting. I appreciate the perspective and information.

Reactions: DanL53

Not a big deal, just adding a little additional info. Don't need to apologize or feel embarrassed. ;)

I wish someone would come out and specifically shed light on what really happened. Sometimes the rumors are worse than what actually occurred.

We back in picture it appears.

#Hawkeyes Involved Again with Chicago PG Charlie Moore, Visit Could Be Soon http://hawkeyenation.com/2016/hawkeyes-involved-charlie-moore
200w.gif

I don't know what happened the first time around. It was assumed something shady but it could have been that Charlie wanted to take his time and we didn't feel we could wait. He didn't have us on his visit list so that was also concerning. Circumstances have now changed for both parties and it might just be as simple as that. Having Cook in the fold probably helps a lot.

Thought I read he has two OV's left. Assuming he doesn't use "official" visits to NW and/or DePaul since they are close by, I could see him using one to Iowa. It's been said elsewhere he wants to stay relatively close to home since his dad has some health problems I believe. The late signing day is coming up soon isn't it?

Wisky is probably out because they just landed a PG I believe. They might be full too.

Sounds like Illinois could be back in on him as well with Groce going to see him. I'd love to see Moore at Iowa. Think he fills the need more than Vital would. Super quick, good ball handler. Would be great if he was taller and a better shooter but what Iowa really needs is exactly what Moore is, a quick ball handler with an ability to get into the lane and finish or dish to scorers. Would allow Williams and Bohanon to play a more natural role shooting and slashing with ball handling being a benefit as opposed to their primary role. Hope Fran can bring him in.

I certainly like the idea of adding a Charlie Moore to what we have already. It gives us that feature of a pace changing point guard and just puts the practice competition to a whole new level. To be clear, I don't look at it as a "Wow, we got lucky we needed that", type of get, but more of a "How much better could we be!", type find.

I would hope that if Charlie visits again that this time the value of our program is clear, and he takes advantage of it. Cripes, ask Tyler Cook Charlie!!! Let's make this happen!

Moore's skill set is not duplicated on the current roster. Should Moore sign with Iowa it's basically taking Fleming's spot which in my opinion is clearly an upgrade to the overall roster.

Sounds like Illinois could be back in on him as well with Groce going to see him. I'd love to see Moore at Iowa. Think he fills the need more than Vital would. Super quick, good ball handler. Would be great if he was taller and a better shooter but what Iowa really needs is exactly what Moore is, a quick ball handler with an ability to get into the lane and finish or dish to scorers. Would allow Williams and Bohanon to play a more natural role shooting and slashing with ball handling being a benefit as opposed to their primary role. Hope Fran can bring him in.
Well, he did average 28pts a game....

Well, he did average 28pts a game....
Have you seen him play at all? I don't know the shooting stats off hand but I can tell you he didn't do that by lighting it up outside. He is excellent at getting by his man and into the paint. I would describe him as serviceable as a shooter. The exact opposite of Bohanon as a PG, which is why I think they would be a nice combo in the class.

Reactions: partyhawk22
Moore's skill set is not duplicated on the current roster. Should Moore sign with Iowa it's basically taking Fleming's spot which in my opinion is clearly an upgrade to the overall roster.

Agreed. Moore would be an interesting addition to be sure. No guarantee he'll be automatically better than Bohannon or Williams, but wow it would be nice to have a guy on the roster who can get into the lane with ease.

Have you seen him play at all? I don't know the shooting stats off hand but I can tell you he didn't do that by lighting it up outside. He is excellent at getting by his man and into the paint. I would describe him as serviceable as a shooter. The exact opposite of Bohanon as a PG, which is why I think they would be a nice combo in the class.
No matter if what you say is true or not, I agree that they'd be a great combo to have. Really hope Fran can get him onboard.

.... It's been said elsewhere he wants to stay relatively close to home since his dad has some health problems I believe. The late signing day is coming up soon isn't it?

Wisky is probably out because they just landed a PG I believe. They might be full too.[/QUOTE]
You are correct. The 2016 class is now Pritzl (assuming '15-'16 redshirt), Trice and Ford. Mike Ballard, a 6'5" shooting guard from Fenwick has announced that he will walk on this fall.

Last edited:
I mean, there are guys like Trey Dickerson who are quick and adept at getting to the hoop and average 20 per game, and then there are guys like Ulis who are quick and adept at getting to the hoop and average 20 per game.

In terms of scoring the two are actually pretty similar. Short, quick guards who can get to and finish at the rim. Both are average shooters with Ulis shooting about 34% from 3 and I think Dickerson was about a 30% 3pt shooter.

What separates the All American to Dickerson offensively? Court vision and passing ability. Ulis makes plays and creates for teammates while Dickerson seemed to be turnover prone and not the best distributor. (It helps that Ulis is all defensive SEC, but I digress) Moore seems to have the court awareness that Ulis has and it's fairly evident by watching some of the passes he makes in his videos.

Anyways, this was a wordy way of saying that I'm not too worried about his shooting ability. As long as he's respectable from mid-range and 3 (heck, 30-34% would be okay), he'd be a fantastic creator and even better in transition. With scorers like Moss, Cook, and Williams, this would be ideal.

Reactions: icparkerhawk
Any PG who wants to make immediate and significant impact could do far worse than the Hawks. As for Moore, there is no quality school courting him that can offer more court time.

Easy choice.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Stole this from the NW Board. The plot thickens.

Morgan Park's star point guard says he will now choose from among Vanderbilt, Iowa, SMU, DePaul, Illinois, Miami (Fla.), Western Kentucky, California, UNLV, and Georgia Tech.

Story from OrangeandBlueNews: Decision near for Illinois Mr. Basketball

wow that's quite the list...regardless of where Moore ends up deciding to go this time around...he certainly has helped light up several schools' Rival boards'. The plot thickens is very accurate. :cool:

Isnt he a similar player to Ulis? If so, sign me up for taking him.

He's "similar" in the sense that they are a) not real tall and b) very good with the ball. Not necessarily fair to expect him to play as well as Ulis right off the bat. But has a chance to bring a skill to the roster that just has not been there since Cartwright was here.

Reactions: icparkerhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT