ADVERTISEMENT

Cheap Chinese EVs from Mexico

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
Would you buy a well-regarded Chinese EV for half the price of a made-in-USA EV? Soon you may be able to - from Mexico.

Not only are Chinese brands already shipping thousands of EVs to Mexico for resale, several are also negotiating to build factories in Mexico. Such vehicles built in Mexico would fall under the NAFTA agreement, meaning minimal restrictions or tariffs.

To what lengths should our government go to "protect" us from affordable EVs?

Would you buy a well-regarded Chinese EV for half the price of a made-in-USA EV? Soon you may be able to - from Mexico.

Not only are Chinese brands already shipping thousands of EVs to Mexico for resale, several are also negotiating to build factories in Mexico. Such vehicles built in Mexico would fall under the NAFTA agreement, meaning minimal restrictions or tariffs.

To what lengths should our government go to "protect" us from affordable EVs?

This is why Elon is all about Trump.

I don't think that price is the reason that Americans won't buy an EV but that's just my bad opinion

There are a multitude of reasons, but it’s one of them. People aren’t going to spend $45k on a vehicle that has some logistics limitations, along with the perception that the technology is still in its infancy.

I believe I’d buy a Chinese EV over a comparable Tesla. Elon is an evil person that I wouldn’t buy anything from if I didn’t have to.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I can look through the top 25 selling automobiles in the US, and there's one common theme - they're big (with the exception of the Civic, which still almost has a trunk large enough to fit the $10k Chinese EV in it). The other theme that I see is that they cost significantly more than other automobiles on the market.

So, as OP's mom always says, size matters....and cost doesn't.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT