ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago and the White Sox in serious discussions for a new baseball only stadium downtown.

If I was the City I would let them walk. What did they do for the neighborhood they were in? Zip for 30 years.
Weird take. What's the team supposed to do? They generate ridiculous revenue for the city and a lot of jobs for the area. It's the teams fault the city wastes the revenue instead of reinvesting it in the neighborhoods near the stadium? It wasn't always a gang and poverty wasteland and the team certainly isn't to blame for what became of those neighborhoods.
That said, the area isn't nearly as bad as it was in the 80s and 90s.

Weird take. What's the team supposed to do? They generate ridiculous revenue for the city and a lot of jobs for the area. It's the teams fault the city wastes the revenue instead of reinvesting it in the neighborhoods near the stadium? It wasn't always a gang and poverty wasteland and the team certainly isn't to blame for what became of those neighborhoods.
That said, the area isn't nearly as bad as it was in the 80s and 90s.

What revenue for the City? They pay rent to the State of Illinois. Sales taxes?

They built it right before all the cool looking stadiums were built. I don't hate it like others do - mostly because of the food - but it's not in a good area.

This is exactly correct,.. It was built just before the advent of modern stadium design..

Reactions: Tom Paris
Not just someone - a punk - anyone care to guess what sort of person Northern had to experience?!?

Like the guys who sell Streetwise on the CTA?

Scary shit, particularly if you’re the Michael Bolton that doesn’t suck.

14258939-711a-465b-ba45-9f84957e4dd6_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
They built it right before all the cool looking stadiums were built. I don't hate it like others do - mostly because of the food - but it's not in a good area.
I didn’t think the White Sox stadium was all that bad either.

I also didn’t think the location was terrible. I’d rather hang out there than after a Bulls game.

This is exactly correct,.. It was built just before the advent of modern stadium design..
I believe the Sox brass turned down a design from the same architect that did Camden.

It was built at the same time as Camden yards, the Sox were given an option for a retro style park, and reinsdorf/eindhorn went with Comiskey 2 because it accommodated a second level of skyboxes. So rather than set the standard, they went for the cash grab and Baltimore set the standard instead.

Not exactly correct. Reinsdorf was presented with proposed plans that would have made the new Sox park the second "retro" style park after Camden Yards. Reinsdorf didn't like the idea and reportedly told the designers that the idea of "retro" parks would never catch on.

EDIT: Should have read the whole thread before posting.

The Comiskey effect: Can MLB revive what it lost in the retro building boom?​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT