ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago and the White Sox in serious discussions for a new baseball only stadium downtown.

I would be careful of doing him any favors. He’s a terrible owner. It might be naive to say this, but he is a poor steward of that franchise and the game.

I have never really understood why he owns a team. His goal does not seem to be to win. They don't make money per se, they get appreciation of the franchise.

It's weird. I assume it's an ego thing of some sort.

I have never really understood why he owns a team. His goal does not seem to be to win. They don't make money per se, they get appreciation of the franchise.

Oh, they make money. They make money by giving guys like Benintendi and Grandal the biggest contracts in team history. Believe me, his partners are very happy with the way he runs his team.

The things Reinsdorf doesnt get, such as Retro Parks or Jason Benetti, sure seem to cost the team....
The Benetti thing was unbelievable to me. Giving an ultimatum to a guy like that? Let him do the Sox games whenever he can do the games.

I'm a Cubs fan but I would watch at least a couple innings of the Sox every once in awhile just for Benetti and Stone. In fact I'd watch the Sox telecast of the Cubs--Sox games when Benetti was in the booth.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The Benetti thing was unbelievable to me. Giving an ultimatum to a guy like that? Let him do the Sox games whenever he can do the games.

I'm a Cubs fan but I would watch at least a couple innings of the Sox every once in awhile just for Benetti and Stone. In fact I'd watch the Sox telecast of the Cubs--Sox games when Benetti was in the booth.
This. 100%. I haven’t even heard the full story, but Benetti and Stone were the best duo in baseball. Pisses me off.

Reactions: Hawked and pjhawk
I hope the new sox park in the loop happens and I don't particularly care how it gets paid for. The city wastes millions on things I don't enjoy, might as well do so on a cool ballpark in a great location I will be able to enjoy a few times a year.

His teams are very profitable.

imo Reinsdorf is in baseball because he gets off on winning labor battles. He probably thinks that he deserves a wing in Cooperstown for how he treated Thomas and how he cost his club and its fans a World Series in order to try and crush the union

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The bears are beloved while the Sox are the red-headed stepchild.

Reinsdorf wants to win as long as the bottom line stays intact.

It will take a monumental threading the needle in a hurricane to get both stadium done.

The bears are beloved while the Sox are the red-headed stepchild.

Reinsdorf wants to win as long as the bottom line stays intact.

It will take a monumental threading the needle in a hurricane to get both stadium done.
Being a Sox/Fire/Red Stars fan, I have been reading a LOT about the different plans. I think the Fire and Red Stars have a better shot at that land than the White Sox, with the Bears getting a retractable dome at Soldier. The soccer teams can assure an event on every weekend, and many weekdays, outside of wintertime. They have two of the wealthiest families in Chicago as owners in the Mansueto’s and Ricketts that can team up to finance it privately.

The Sox are DOA on this one until a new Chairman is in place imo. This is like Madigan not wanting to deal with Duchossois.

Benetti doing the iowa game this year was great.
Him saying to look over at phil parker and think you’re getting out coached by bob newhart was classic.

Weird take. What's the team supposed to do? They generate ridiculous revenue for the city and a lot of jobs for the area. It's the teams fault the city wastes the revenue instead of reinvesting it in the neighborhoods near the stadium? It wasn't always a gang and poverty wasteland and the team certainly isn't to blame for what became of those neighborhoods.
That said, the area isn't nearly as bad as it was in the 80s and 90s.
One could look at what the Tampa Lightning owner did for the area around the arena which is a huge success.

I've watched every inning so far of this shitshow, and I don't think it's an exaggeration that this is the worst MLB team I remember seeing. They are worse than the Orioles' team where Chris Davis couldn't hit because that team at least had Machado and some prospects that would eventually perform, and I think they're worse without Robert in the lineup than that Tigers team from the early 2000s

I've watched every inning so far of this shitshow, and I don't think it's an exaggeration that this is the worst MLB team I remember seeing. They are worse than the Orioles' team where Chris Davis couldn't hit because that team at least had Machado and some prospects that would eventually perform, and I think they're worse without Robert in the lineup than that Tigers team from the early 2000s
Agree.

Looking at the roster, it's a bunch of no names, kids, and cheap acquisitions.

The only name player right now is Benintendi.

Took a dozen games and we’ve already hit the injury trifecta. Running is hard.

I think that leaves Kopech and Crochet as the next injuries

• Sad
Reactions: lucas80
Took a dozen games and we’ve already hit the injury trifecta. Running is hard.

I think that leaves Kopech and Crochet as the next injuries
Hopefully not. Kopech should go to the pen, where he'd be more effective and probably not get hurt. Crochet could be the bright spot of the season for you.

Weird take. What's the team supposed to do? They generate ridiculous revenue for the city and a lot of jobs for the area. It's the teams fault the city wastes the revenue instead of reinvesting it in the neighborhoods near the stadium? It wasn't always a gang and poverty wasteland and the team certainly isn't to blame for what became of those neighborhoods.
That said, the area isn't nearly as bad as it was in the 80s and 90s.
This is an uninformed opinion. These stadiums don't generate significant revenue for the city.

"In testimony before the U.S. Congress, economist Robert Baade said that Chicago's professional sports industry—which includes five teams—accounted for less than one-tenth of 1 percent of Chicago's 1995 personal income.3 Baade further commented that even when compared with the revenue of other industries, professional sports teams contribute small amounts to the economy. He noted, for example, that "the sales revenue of Fruit of the Loom exceed[ed] that for all of Major League Baseball (MLB), while the sales revenue of Sears [was] about thirty times larger than that of all MLB revenues."

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Hopefully not. Kopech should go to the pen, where he'd be more effective and probably not get hurt. Crochet could be the bright spot of the season for you.
Good news: Sox hold off Cleveland to secure their 2nd win of the year 7-5
Bad news: Moncado went down with a leg injury running the bases joining Eloy and Robert on dl.

Kopech looked great with 2 inning save.
This team is a disaster.
Picked a bad year to look for public support for a stadium.

The owner is a billionaire. If he wants a new stadium, he can pay for it with his own money or take out a loan. Bootstraps

I watched way too many of the games than was warranted for last year's pile, have only bothered watching one game so far this year, didn't see any Sox runs, but that barely narrows it down.

How many people in this thread oppose student loan forgiveness but are happy to give tax dollars to the baseball owners?

Reactions: TC Nole OX
How many people in this thread oppose student loan forgiveness but are happy to give tax dollars to the baseball owners?

I don’t think that there are too many anywhere that want to continue subsidizing sports owners. It seems like that ship has sailed recently between KC, Vegas, Tempe, NOVA

The morning show on the Score said, in essence yesterday, that they don’t plan on talking about them much anymore because there is really nothing to talk about.

Both of the Reinsdorf franchises are horrible. I can’t wait to see the starting lineup and rotation for the Sox in August.

W
This is an uninformed opinion. These stadiums don't generate significant revenue for the city.

"In testimony before the U.S. Congress, economist Robert Baade said that Chicago's professional sports industry—which includes five teams—accounted for less than one-tenth of 1 percent of Chicago's 1995 personal income.3 Baade further commented that even when compared with the revenue of other industries, professional sports teams contribute small amounts to the economy. He noted, for example, that "the sales revenue of Fruit of the Loom exceed[ed] that for all of Major League Baseball (MLB), while the sales revenue of Sears [was] about thirty times larger than that of all MLB revenues."

Well if an article from 25 years ago quoting stats from 30 years ago says so, then it must be true.
I'm not suggesting the city or public fund the stadium. But tax breaks or creative financing that is a win win for both the org and the city is certainly doable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT