ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo declines COVID vaccine, waiting for "more data"

I think it's unreasonable, because there is absolutely no way he is "waiting for more data." I would bet big $$$ he has never looked at any data, and never will. He is relying on gut instinct and anecdotes to make this decision, and he will rely on gut instinct and anecdotes when he changes his mind.

He is also ignoring his responsibilities to his teammates, to his fans, and to society at large. So, in short, he is making an uniformed and selfish decision.

That is not reasonable.
What responsibilities does he have to the fans and society in general? They’re following covid protocols. I would assume that he’s informed considering his medical history. Also, it’s a personal choice and he doesn’t owe anyone anything. They’re tested regularly unlike the fans.

What responsibilities does he have to the fans and society in general? They’re following covid protocols. I would assume that he’s informed considering his medical history. Also, it’s a personal choice and he doesn’t owe anyone anything. They’re tested regularly unlike the fans.
When will we stop with the "personal choice" crap like he's deciding whether to get cheese on his hamburger?

He has $11M worth of responsibility to the fans. And he has the same responsibility as all good citizens do to society at large. In a civilized society we all have civic responsibilities.

As far as him being well-informed, his words suggest otherwise.

He has $11M worth of responsibility to the fans. And he has the same responsibility as all good citizens do to society at large. In a civilized society we all have civic responsibilities.

As far as him being well-informed, his words suggest otherwise.
He doesn’t owe anything to the fans. He does a lot for them already anyways. Does he wear a mask when not playing or out in public? You don’t personally know him, his situation or what he knows about it. Also, why does it bother you what he personally decides?

He doesn’t owe anything to the fans. He does a lot for them already anyways. Does he wear a mask when not playing or out in public? You don’t personally know him, his situation or what he knows about it. Also, why does it bother you what he personally decides?

It bothers me because it affects me. It affects all Americans. We all owe it to our fellow citizens to do our part to get over the pandemic so we can all go back to our normal lives and not risk a new outbreak that makes us go backwards again.

No man is an island. We all have civic responsibilities. I certainly don't know everything about Rizzo, but he did tell us his reasoning. Which, as I explained at the start, is faulty, selfish, and ignores his part of living in a civilized society.

It bothers me because it affects me. It affects all Americans. We all owe it to our fellow citizens to do our part to get over the pandemic so we can all go back to our normal lives and not risk a new outbreak that makes us go backwards again.

No man is an island. We all have civic responsibilities. I certainly don't know everything about Rizzo, but he did tell us his reasoning. Which, as I explained at the start, is faulty, selfish, and ignores his part of living in a civilized society.
Apparently we owe it to the world (or at least the part of the world with the worst teeth) to use our children as guinea pigs so they can decide if the vax is safe. Or not.

“Scientists want to see more data from the U.S. and elsewhere before taking a firm stand either way.”

Does he wear a mask when not on the field and when in public around people? They get tested regularly so if he’s sick he’s isolated. We all did this for a number of months, what’s different now? It is a personal choice and if he’s taking precautions otherwise then no big deal.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
“These mRNA and recombinant adenovirus vaccine products remain experimental at this time. Furthermore, we are supposed to be doing rigorous, fact-based science and medicine. If rigorous and transparent evaluation of vaccine reactogenicity and treatment-emergent post-vaccination adverse events is not done, we (the public health, clinical research and vaccine developer communities) play right into the hands of anti-vaxxer memes and validate many of their arguments. The suppression of information, discussion, and outright censorship concerning these current COVID vaccines which are based on gene therapy technologies cast a bad light on the entire vaccine enterprise.”

Apparently we owe it to the world (or at least the part of the world with the worst teeth) to use our children as guinea pigs so they can decide if the vax is safe. Or not.

“Scientists want to see more data from the U.S. and elsewhere before taking a firm stand either way.”

Vaccinating children is a different question. They are infected at much lower rate, they appear to transmit the virus at a much, much lower rate, and they die at an extremely low rate. So vaccinating children would not contribute much to controlling the pandemic. And that's in addition to the fact that they are not at the age of consent.

Adults, however, do contribute the the pandemic. So it is ethically imperative that adults do their part.

Reactions: ironside1
Vaccinating children is a different question. They are infected at much lower rate, they appear to transmit the virus at a much, much lower rate, and they die at an extremely low rate. So vaccinating children would not contribute much to controlling the pandemic. And that's in addition to the fact that they are not at the age of consent.

Adults, however, do contribute the the pandemic. So it is ethically imperative that adults do their part.
But we keep getting told that kids need it so they don’t spread the corona to Gamma & Gammpa. :rolleyes:

As far as ‘doing my part’ my sole obligation is to my family, not to society. I’ve already had the virus, I have antibodies and I’m not going to risk ADE by injecting myself for an infection that my immune system can handle just fine on it’s own.

Sorry, not sorry.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
But we keep getting told that kids need it so they don’t spread the corona to Gamma & Gammpa. :rolleyes:

As far as ‘doing my part’ my sole obligation is to my family, not to society. I’ve already had the virus, I have antibodies and I’m not going to risk ADE by injecting myself for an infection that my immune system can handle just fine on it’s own.

Sorry, not sorry.

I completely understand those who have already had the virus not getting the vaccine. In fact, when demand was outstripping supply I proposed putting previously infected people at the end of the priority list. Until the duration of immunity is known, however, and so long as we still have a worldwide pandemic, I think it would be advisable for even infected people to get a "booster" shot in a year or so.

However, in this thread we're talking specifically about Rizzo, who so far as I know has not been infected and thus is not immune. And I disagree that we do not have responsibilities to our fellow citizens. I believe we do.

I completely understand those who have already had the virus not getting the vaccine. In fact, when demand was outstripping supply I proposed putting previously infected people at the end of the priority list. Until the duration of immunity is known, however, and so long as we still have a worldwide pandemic, I think it would be advisable for even infected people to get a "booster" shot in a year or so.

However, in this thread we're talking specifically about Rizzo, who so far as I know has not been infected and thus is not immune. And I disagree that we do not have responsibilities to our fellow citizens. I believe we do.
The thread WAS about Rizzo, but was derailed with posts like this:
You folks that are refusing to get FDA approved vaccine for COVID are a bunch of self righteous pussies. Get the shot or leave the country.” 😄

Sure we have some responsibilities to our fellow man and to the physical world we live in...3,000,000 disposable masks/minute, cough, cough.

I always love seeing @naturalbornhawk 's posts and all the laugh reacts to it. Warms my heart and restores my faith in humanity.
I have faith in about half of humanity right now. The other half has demoted themselves to lab rats and volunteered themselves to participate in an unproven fast-tracked experimental gene therapy with no long-term safety profile, highly questionable short-term safety all over an over-inflated virus that over 99% of the general populations will survive anyway. That with no outside entities liable for damages. Knowing pharma's track record, that's really damn stupid.

To make matters worse these compete idiots are pushing it on their kids which virtually all would survive the actual disease, pregnant mothers, and those who are already naturally immune to COVID. The terrible decision making taking place and the awful recommendations coming from our government through this whole mess really is astounding. Never have I witnessed such a $___show of events that has transpired of the last year and a half.

There are so many dissenting doctors and scientists convinced enough to put their career on the line with warnings and alternative opinions and yet amazingly people float through unfazed with the belief there is no way these vaccines could be dangerous. Yes of course I could be wrong, but at this point there should be little doubt those that have chosen to receive these vaccines will end up wishing they hadn't in a major way.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
at this point there should be little doubt those that have chosen to receive these vaccines will end up wishing they hadn't in a major way.

You are always shrill, but I’ve noticed that as we approach three billion doses of vaccine give and no indication that they are unsafe, you have really started to dial it up. It seems the lack of bad news is creating a bit of a mental health crisis for you.

But this last sentence is the one I want to focus on. It is so utterly baseless and preposterous I felt it should be singled out as a evidence of how you have lost your damn mind on this subject. You are just flailing.

Last edited:
Somewhere in this thread it's been mentioned that Rizzo and others aren't role models. Well, in Rizzo's case he is. He does some great work inspiring kids, and it's painful to think that he is now setting an example to kids that they do not need to be vaccinated. Rizzo and the others not being vaccinated are riding off of the people like me who have been vaccinated at this point. It's warmer and people are spread out. A lot of the population is vaccinated. But, the weather will turn, and we'll go back inside more, and the new variants are scary transmissible.
Guys like Rizzo are risking a lot of money in future earnings.

There are so many dissenting doctors and scientists convinced enough to put their career on the line with warnings and alternative opinions and yet amazingly people float through unfazed with the belief there is no way these vaccines could be dangerous. Yes of course I could be wrong, but at this point there should be little doubt those that have chosen to receive these vaccines will end up wishing they hadn't in a major way.
Funny,

I would guesstimate I know about 500 doctors. I haven't met a single one who didn't take the vaccine. I guess we are all rubes.

You are always shrill, but I’ve noticed that as we approach three billion doses of vaccine give and no indication that they are unsafe, you have really started to dial it up. It seems the lack of bad news is creating a bit of a mental health crisis for you.

But this last sentence is the one I want to focus on. It is so utterly baseless and preposterous I felt it should be singled out as a evidence of how you have lost your damn mind on this subject. You are just flailing.
Geesh. This type of ownage deserves a thread of its own.

I find it laughable that people fear the long term effect of the covid-19 vaccines. If somebody was worried about the short term effect I would find it understandable but the long term effect fears show a critical lack of logic and understanding on how vaccines work.

Vaccines work by irritating the bodies defense system into producing an immune response and thus giving the body a template for a defense. Traditionally that has been by injecting a weakened/damaged live virus into the body or in Salk's Polio Vaccine, a dead virus. All vaccines are designed to be killed by the bodies immune response, leaving nothing behind of them. Most of the vaccines problems have stemed from improperly weakened/damaged virus's or contaminated production issues.

mRNA bases vaccines(Novavax does this to in a different way) bypass's the live virus injection and instead spams the bodies immune cells with virus's infection vectors, provoking a massive immune response.

This method is much more efficient and safer than traditional vaccines. It is no coincidence that the J&J, a traditional vaccine, isn't as effective as mRNA and that there has also been more serious side effects associated with the J&J. Which is more targeted, the mRNA sniper rifle or the J&J grenade?

The danger with mRNA is only with the short term not long term. Why? Because mRNA vaccines have no way to self replicate, once they irritate the bodies immune system they are destroyed by the bodies response so how can you suddenly have a long term side effect when nothing remains of the mRNA.

Short term side effects are where the danger lies since a mRNA vaccine are designed to produce a much higher amount of infection vectors than traditional ones. All side effects noticed have been caused by the bodies immune response going nuclear on the virus. If you are going to have a side effect, it is going to show up at the latest within 2 weeks of your last shot. Hence, if you go 2 weeks and gain Covid-19 immunity you will not need to worry about any side effects anymore because the vaccine has been destroyed by your bodies immune system.

Mental health crisis? I doubt it but thanks for your uneducated biased opinion. What news have you been listening to? Mainstream? Yeah they're not going to badmouth (or be honest about) vaccines, or haven't you noticed? I would have assumed you would have noticed since you seem to downplay the need to vaccinate kids and those who have had COVID, yet that doesn't seem to be included in the narrative, does it?

I figured you people would like that last sentence. It's not baseless, but from my vantage point should be fairly obvious to anyone who has been following along. I do understand that I come at it from a totally different perspective though because I didn't trust those in charge from the very beginning. I hope I'm wrong about the last sentence, I guess we'll see.

Mental health crisis? I doubt it but thanks for your uneducated biased opinion. What news have you been listening to? Mainstream? Yeah they're not going to badmouth (or be honest about) vaccines, or haven't you noticed? I would have assumed you would have noticed since you seem to downplay the need to vaccinate kids and those who have had COVID, yet that doesn't seem to be included in the narrative, does it?

I figured you people would like that last sentence. It's not baseless, but from my vantage point should be fairly obvious to anyone who has been following along. I do understand that I come at it from a totally different perspective though because I didn't trust those in charge from the very beginning. I hope I'm wrong about the last sentence, I guess we'll see.

The MSM was all over the blood clot non-story as soon as it came out. They love bad news, and they crave the ability to break a story. They also have the most experienced, most professional journalists and editors. If there is a legitimate story they won't always be the first to report it (because they need to wait for little details like confirmation of sources and fact-checking) but they will report it.

But your tone is absolutely getting more shrill as time goes on and nobody is turning into a zombie.

Reactions: LBoogie28
They love bad news, and they crave the ability to break a story, but their hands are obviously almost completely tied when it comes to reporting any negative aspects surrounding vaccines.
FIFY. You're right they did cover the blood clots, but they weren't being honest about the number of blood clots, or the vaccines that were causing them. The censorship is astounding, and completely obvious.

FIFY. You're right they did cover the blood clots, but they weren't being honest about the number of blood clots, or the vaccines that were causing them. The censorship is astounding, and completely obvious.

Yes; not just ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC. But FOX, the NYT, the WSJ, every major and minor newspaper: they are all self-censoring, or they are all unable to get the information that the crack staffs at Breaking911 and various YouTube channels have uncovered.

Last edited:
Q: What do the vaccinated and unvaccinated have in common?

A: Neither of those groups CARE ABOUT COVID.

The people who did care about COVID - GOT VACCINATED.

EVERYONE ELSE didn't get vaccinated. Why? Because they DGAS about COVID!

Right now, at this point - do you think Rizzo is more occupied with COVID itself, or the dpshts, the MSM, etc. who think now that he actually got COVID that somehow they "got" him?

Last edited:
I have faith in about half of humanity right now. The other half has demoted themselves to lab rats and volunteered themselves to participate in an unproven fast-tracked experimental gene therapy with no long-term safety profile, highly questionable short-term safety all over an over-inflated virus that over 99% of the general populations will survive anyway. That with no outside entities liable for damages. Knowing pharma's track record, that's really damn stupid.

To make matters worse these compete idiots are pushing it on their kids which virtually all would survive the actual disease, pregnant mothers, and those who are already naturally immune to COVID. The terrible decision making taking place and the awful recommendations coming from our government through this whole mess really is astounding. Never have I witnessed such a $___show of events that has transpired of the last year and a half.

Been about a half a year for me…when should I get my “wishes” ready? The fact you are referring to these vaccines as gene therapy tells me all I need to know about you (and how little you actually know).

The vaccinated people who did care about COVID - GOT VACCINATED.

EVERYONE ELSE didn't get vaccinated. Why? Because they DGIS about COVID!

Right now, at this point - do you think Rizzo is more occupied with COVID itself, or the dpshts, the MSM, etc. who think now that he actually got COVID that somehow they "got" him?
Right now, at this point, presently, and redundantly... what is DGIS?

Literally noone who has gotten the vaccine regrets the choice, meanwhile there are a zillion examples of people who didn't get vaccinated, got covid and regret that they didn't get the vaccine.

The vaccinated people who did care about COVID - GOT VACCINATED.

EVERYONE ELSE didn't get vaccinated. Why? Because they DGIS about COVID!

id assume he’s more concerned that he got covid as a cancer survivor.

Literally noone who has gotten the vaccine regrets the choice, meanwhile there are a zillion examples of people who didn't get vaccinated, got covid and regret that they didn't get the vaccine.
Your first statement before the comma couldn't be further from the truth, and I think you're overstating the latter.

Do the vast majority of the unvaccinated people 1) flat out think they won't get COVID, or 2) think the vaccine is bad, lack trust in the govt / people who are telling them they must get it, and would rather take their chances with COVID?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT