ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo declines COVID vaccine, waiting for "more data"

It isn’t professional to share personal opinions and even less professional to share child care decisions with a patient. Not all nurses are smart, though. They might be great, caring people, but if they get their information about vaccines via Facebook they should keep that to themselves.
Oh cmon. The guy is obviously flat-out lying. EVERY nurse at U of I hospitals he talked to. It's highly probable his entire story is made up.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
It's his body, his choice. Being a cancer survivor he probably knows a thing or two about man-made disease and he's obviously had his fill of the bs and is ready to be done with it. Every one of you on here who thinks they should bash him for is own personal health decisions should be ashamed of themselves.
Please... Go on about his man made cancer. It'll be fun to see if you know as little about that as you do vaccines.

You know what...you idiots that refuse to get vaccinated, should realize that those of us in the military circa 2003 had to be vaccinated with non-approved FDA anthrax vaccine. We did it.
There's an old saying parents teach their kids. Two wrongs don't make a right.

You folks that are refusing to get FDA approved vaccine for COVID are a bunch of self righteous pussies. Get the shot or leave the country.
Yeah people are pussies for not wanting to take a chance on wrecking their health. Friggin brilliant.

Oh cmon. The guy is obviously flat-out lying. EVERY nurse at U of I hospitals he talked to. It's highly probable his entire story is made up.
Yes because finding a small group of people relatively close by with different viewpoints than yours is not gonna happen. 🤣

Reactions: EasyHawk
I had a family member experience a medical emergency a few weeks ago and he was life flighted to U of I hospitals. My wife was able to wait with him in ER and then we visited again over the next week. Each nurse we talked to was not vaccinated and would not consider having their children vaccinated if 12 or above. I was shocked. These are U of I nurses and all said about the same thing, not enough is known about long term issues etc. we initially asked a nurse because the relative is not vaccinated. He got a lot of support during his stay from medical professionals.
Most nurses are not versed in the hard science behind medicine. In fact I wouldn't really take any medical advice from one unless it was a care based question like dressing wounds, managing IVs. Have you looked at a nursing degree? I attached UofI's in the link. Lots of care related courses.

Should have asked the doctors there. I bet you probably couldn't find someone who wasn't vaccinated as a physician.

Your personal freedom does not extend to infecting someone else.
If he gets ill or develops some unforeseen issue in the future from the vaccination, can he count on you to pay his medical bills or take care of his family? All all for the greater good right comrade?

As a Cardinal fan I like Rizzo personally. As a old school baseball fan I think he should get a pitch in the earhole today for crowding the plate and sticking his knee in front of a bouncing ball yesterday. He would never take away the outside part of the plate on Gibson or Drysdale...
Is this crowding the plate?
rizzo-20151.png

Screen-Shot-2016-08-03-at-10.18.12-AM.png

If he gets ill or develops some unforeseen issue in the future from the vaccination, can he count on you to pay his medical bills or take care of his family? All all for the greater good right comrade?
No. Like the rest of us he’s expected to be cannon fodder in the war against corona.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: naturalbornhawk
Chicago Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo said he understands the controversy surrounding his decision not to get the COVID-19 vaccine, but explained that he is "taking some more time to see the data in all of it."

The Cubs are one of eight teams in baseball who haven't reached the 85% vaccination threshold, which would allow for a loosening of restrictions. They're still required to wear masks in the dugout and need permission to leave their hotel on the road, for example.

Rizzo, 31, is a cancer survivor who meets regularly with young cancer patients, though that has been on hold during the pandemic. He said he knows his decision not to get the vaccine has drawn strong reactions from both sides of the debate, adding that he's "definitely not against getting it."

"I love my teammates and love this franchise," he said after the Cubs' 8-5 win over the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday. "This is bigger than baseball. This is a life decision. It weighed hard. It's a decision I made and I stand with, and obviously there are people that are going to hate me and think I'm disgusting. And there are going to be people that side with me, but it's out in the open."

Rizzo didn't get specific with his reasons for not taking the vaccine. He and his teammates have had an ongoing discussion about getting to the 85% threshold. Shortstop Javier Baez is doing PSAs for vaccine awareness.

"We discuss it," Baez said. "If you want to call it, 'we argued about it,' but at the end of the day, we respect each other.

"He just doesn't believe in it right now, and we respect his decision. ... The vaccine was made pretty fast, and a lot of people don't believe in it. I got vaccinated because I have kids and want to protect them."

Rizzo didn't seem to be against the vaccine, per se. In fact, he was thrilled to see Wrigley Field at 100% capacity for one of his most memorable at-bats. With the Cubs trailing 5-4 in the bottom of the 6th inning, Rizzo saw 13 pitches from reliever Daniel Ponce de Leon before taking the 14th one out to right field to tie the game.

"Towards the fifth, sixth, seventh pitch, everyone started getting into it more," Rizzo recalled. "It almost, in a way, helped me calm down and relax. I kept saying to myself, 'Stay locked in, stay locked in.'

Cubs manager David Ross likened the at-bat to one then-teammate Alex Cora had with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2004. That one lasted 18 pitches.

"I'll remember this one for a long time," Ross said.

Rizzo added: "It was definitely one of my most memorable at-bats."

Rizzo fouled off six pitches in a row before taking Ball 2, then fouled off three more before going deep.

"I saw all of his pitches, so it was a matter of getting one to hit," Rizzo explained. "He did a good job of flirting with one up, where it's too close to take. Fortunately, for me, I put a good swing on it and had a good result."

The home run came after Rizzo revealed on his own paid radio segment on ESPN 1000 in Chicago that he had not taken the vaccine.

"I think whenever you come out with any decision that's the big topic, it's not easy one way or another," Rizzo said. "This is a big topic. There's a lot of lives being saved from this vaccine. There's a lot of people getting back to their normal life. That's what we want."
But Rizzo, a cancer survivor, spoke confidently about his decision to play with the COVID-19 pandemic wreaking havoc worldwide.

"As far as my body and the immune system, everything is up to par, if not stronger than when I was 18," said Rizzo, who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2008.

Most NFL teams aren't at 50% vaccinated

You know what...you idiots that refuse to get vaccinated, should realize that those of us in the military circa 2003 had to be vaccinated with non-approved FDA anthrax vaccine. We did it.

You folks that are refusing to get FDA approved vaccine for COVID are a bunch of self righteous pussies. Get the shot or leave the country.
No thanks, already had covid. I have natural immunity. You can't say the same about anthrax.

Most nurses are not versed in the hard science behind medicine. In fact I wouldn't really take any medical advice from one unless it was a care based question like dressing wounds, managing IVs. Have you looked at a nursing degree? I attached UofI's in the link. Lots of care related courses.

Should have asked the doctors there. I bet you probably couldn't find someone who wasn't vaccinated as a physician.

Every time one of the kids got a shot, or even when I get my yearly flu shot they hand over a laminated card with the information. Now, I am sure that is partly because of insistence by legal, but I also suspect it's because the nurse doesn't have all the facts at hand.

One of your dumbest takes ever.

Yet he is completely in the batters box-- the box where a batter can stand. There is no "best" or "worst".
His arms are over the plate before the pitch is thrown. He's hit at a rate in excess of the average.

It's legal. But he crowds the plate as much as one can. Don't know why you're being defensive about it.

He's also a world class dummy for not getting the vaccine.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Agreed. I don't think this is unreasonable of Rizzo. I don't necessarily agree with his decision to wait, but it's not unreasonable.

I think it's unreasonable, because there is absolutely no way he is "waiting for more data." I would bet big $$$ he has never looked at any data, and never will. He is relying on gut instinct and anecdotes to make this decision, and he will rely on gut instinct and anecdotes when he changes his mind.

He is also ignoring his responsibilities to his teammates, to his fans, and to society at large. So, in short, he is making an uniformed and selfish decision.

That is not reasonable.

I think it's unreasonable, because there is absolutely no way he is "waiting for more data." I would bet big $$$ he has never looked at any data, and never will.
Should lymphoma patients and survivors receive the COVID-19 vaccine?

Most lymphoma patients should receive the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it is available because studies have shown that blood cancer patients may be at higher risk for negative outcomes from COVID-19 infection than the general population. However, given that some lymphoma treatments might affect the efficacy of a vaccine (by impacting the immune system), lymphoma patients and survivors should consult their oncologist or healthcare team prior to receiving the COVID-19 vaccine – particularly if they are in the midst of lymphoma treatment or have had it recently (e.g. within the last 6-12 months). Some healthcare providers may suggest that some patients wait a period of time after their last treatment before receiving the vaccine. Studies at this point suggest that the COVID-19 vaccines are safe for even those who have underlying health conditions (with the rare exception of some of those with a history of severe allergic reactions).

Actually, it is:
Actually it isn't. From the below

Children might be more likely to be asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19 than are adults…This apparent lack of transmission [in schools] is consistent with recent research (5), which found an asymptomatic attack rate of only 0.7% within households and a lower rate of transmission from children than from adults. However, this study was unable to rule out asymptomatic transmission within the school setting because surveillance testing was not conducted” (emphasis added).

The “recent research” the study authors cite is a meta-analysis of 54 household COVID-19 transmission studies that observed 77,758 participants, which was posted as a pre-print this summer and published in December.

Here's some more

Oh and Fraudci also admitted it wasn't a thing in his released emails. It rarely happens, there is no argument. This has been known for years with respiratory viruses. It didn't just change with covid miraculously.

Actually it isn't. From the below

Children might be more likely to be asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19 than are adults…This apparent lack of transmission [in schools] is consistent with recent research (5), which found an asymptomatic attack rate of only 0.7% within households and a lower rate of transmission from children than from adults. However, this study was unable to rule out asymptomatic transmission within the school setting because surveillance testing was not conducted” (emphasis added).

The “recent research” the study authors cite is a meta-analysis of 54 household COVID-19 transmission studies that observed 77,758 participants, which was posted as a pre-print this summer and published in December.

Here's some more

Oh and Fraudci also admitted it wasn't a thing in his released emails. It rarely happens, there is no argument. This has been known for years with respiratory viruses. It didn't just change with covid miraculously.

Actually, it is:

"Only", "rarely" =/= "never"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
You sure you wanna quote Fauci?
I never wore one in ‘19. Or ‘20. Or ‘21. Why would I wear one through ‘22?

Actually, it is:

"Only", "rarely" =/= "never"
It's not statistically significant to create such policies, just like masks. So, no it's NOT an issue.

As a Cardinal fan I like Rizzo personally. As a old school baseball fan I think he should get a pitch in the earhole today for crowding the plate and sticking his knee in front of a bouncing ball yesterday. He would never take away the outside part of the plate on Gibson or Drysdale...
He literally gets hit by pitches all the time. You think old school pitchers are gonna change something?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT