ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Mayor's Race Down to the Wire

They'll just rinse and repeat the same liberal garbage leadership they have for the past 30 years and continue the trend of high poverty, high drug use, high crime and high unemployment that is the same as every big city with a black, liberal mayor and black, liberal council members: Baltimore, Chicago, Washington DC, Philadelphia....shitholes and continue to blame whitey for all their problems when the problem is staring at them in the mirror.

Probably the same shit the Dem who ran against George Santos was thinking. "These people won't vote for me if I don't dog whistle about crime."

An inconvenient truth that many Chicagoans try to gloss over by making a blues brothers reference is that there’s a long history of racism and Nazi support. They don’t teach it to you when growing up there

It seems like both candidates were turds with no idea for how to implement their plans but I want to know what the hell Vallas was thinking by being associated with Trump, Desantis, and the local MAGA FOP leader
I voted Vallas. But certainly wasn’t thrilled with either option. I just wanted the candidate who was least like Lightfoot.

Although crime hasn’t really impacted me individually, I’m sick of the policies that create a revolving door for criminals to end up back on the street. That was my biggest issue. We need to get the police and city leadership back on (at least) cordial terms. That’s gonna be hard for Johnson to do.

I love so much about this city, but feel
we needed a bigger shift in leadership after the Lightfoot disaster.

This is my read:

- Vallas was just the default, stand in for the moderate/centrist Democrats, very far from a star. It's not like this is some totally unexpected upset of the establishment star.

- Most people commenting likely have only one major impression regarding this race: the approaches to crime

- Most people commenting likely don't know or care about the candidates positions on things like education, public transportation, taxes, etc.

- This race was framed around crime: Johnson was the defund the police guy, Vallas was the traditional hire more police, police union backing guy.

- There's a stigma and built in skepticism to: "defund police"

- It's my impression that Johnson has tried to walk back the "defund" stuff, but he's undoubtedly on the side of social services to address root cause of crime and Vallas was made his pro-police pitch clear as well.

- I have no problem accepting that addressing the root cause of crime is a worthy cause, I have no problem accepting that the current policing system/environment needs changing, it's not hard to believe that these concepts could work.

- I do have concerns for how it will actually play out in this city. I imagine they take time to implement and see results, costs money, requires strong leadership and cooperation. Not hard to imagine lots and lots of roadblocks and unintended consequences.

- Vallas's approach seemed like a less risky and more familiar approach, which is easy to lean towards if you're closer to a "have" than "have not".

- I didn't pay that close attention to this race and who knows what Johnson will actually be like in office.

A guy who owes the city $3,000 in back water bills should not be mayor. Period.

Maryland elected a governor with a $20k+ outstanding water bill, some big cities struggle with water billing and people understand non-payment

I guess I was wrong about the crime angle, seems you're a different single issue voter. Although, the simplest of google searches would make clear that Johnson doesn't owe the city $3,000 in back water bills. So I guess that's cleared up.

Reactions: Ree4
I guess I was wrong about the crime angle, seems you're a different single issue voter. Although, the simplest of google searches would make clear that Johnson doesn't owe the city $3,000 in back water bills. So I guess that's cleared up.

I come from one issue; competence. He lacks it.

Maryland elected a governor with a $20k+ outstanding water bill, some big cities struggle with water billing and people understand non-payment

Yeah, I dont. It should never have gotten that far. The first month he didnt pay he should have been shut off.

They'll just rinse and repeat the same liberal garbage leadership they have for the past 30 years and continue the trend of high poverty, high drug use, high crime and high unemployment that is the same as every big city with a black, liberal mayor and black, liberal council members: Baltimore, Chicago, Washington DC, Philadelphia....shitholes and continue to blame whitey for all their problems when the problem is staring at them in the mirror.

Are you talking about Barack???
We get it, guy. You hate black people.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
Oh this is an upward trend from the Kavanaugh crater. The opponent in this race was a joke and the turnout pathetic.

I would say he has more administrative competence than the person who won. I dont think the person who won has any understanding of the financial structures of cities or governments at all. Vallas did that for years. He was dry, and he ran a poor campaign though. But Chicago got the worse option. If you were hiring between the two to run something, it wouldnt be a hard decision.

2 sisters live in the city and have for over 2 decades. Both fairly liberal and both are appalled at what the city has become. Talking to them over the weekend, they really thought the tide was turning and the majority of working and upper middle class were going to vote Vallas. Goes to show in that city, the teacher's union just might be the most powerful cog in the machine.
Conservatives don't know what "working class" means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT