ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago Mayor's Race Down to the Wire

Regardless it’s a win-win compared to what Chicago endured the past number of years.

I am hopeful for an election challenge so we can figure out how many voters are dead, fictitious, not of age, or don’t live in chicago

Reactions: JRHawk2003
2 sisters live in the city and have for over 2 decades. Both fairly liberal and both are appalled at what the city has become. Talking to them over the weekend, they really thought the tide was turning and the majority of working and upper middle class were going to vote Vallas. Goes to show in that city, the teacher's union just might be the most powerful cog in the machine.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Can someone tell me why Brandon Johnson is the worst thing to happen to Chicago? Seems like his opponent is a big time loser in politics. Was it supposed to be his turn and he ran a turrible campaign?

Reactions: Ree4
My opinion: all Chicago mayoral elections are rigged.

The result tells me TPTB thought Vallas might actually try to tinker with things, clean up the finances, and this interfere with the skim. The insider, puppet-masters who profit off of the skim won't stand for that.

Johnson will be a doormat.

For things to run smoothly in Chicago, it needs a tough, hard-nosed mayor. And not a fake tough- gal like Lightfoot, but a genuinely respected, resolute leader.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Great…and my son is moving into Chicago soon. Yeah, I think it’s only going to get worse.

From what I can gather about Vallas, he's an unpopular politician who's never won/accomplished anything in politics. Why is he the presumed adult in the room?

He is not a politician. He is basically a civil servant trying a later career shift to politics. He lacks charisma and is more a nuts and bolts accounting guy. Does not excite people.

DefensiveFeminineArieltoucan-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
So from what I can gather now, Vallas had the neoliberal stamp of approval? S'pose I find it encouraging that people are sick of that failed bullshit. Democrats used to be people who had the support of the unions in their communities and not as much the Jaycees or developers.

Reactions: Ree4
Results

Razor right.

Chicago gotta hope Vallas wins. Good Lord.
They'll just rinse and repeat the same liberal garbage leadership they have for the past 30 years and continue the trend of high poverty, high drug use, high crime and high unemployment that is the same as every big city with a black, liberal mayor and black, liberal council members: Baltimore, Chicago, Washington DC, Philadelphia....shitholes and continue to blame whitey for all their problems when the problem is staring at them in the mirror.

And then there's Iowa...
Our kids are going to learn work ethic again in meat packing plants so they don't leave the state forever ASAP looking for handouts like they've been doing and instead choose to remain in Iowa, the only state where nobody is ever lazy at their job except if you want instant treats and they're not as instant as you would like

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Can someone tell me why Brandon Johnson is the worst thing to happen to Chicago? Seems like his opponent is a big time loser in politics. Was it supposed to be his turn and he ran a turrible campaign?

This is my read:

- Vallas was just the default, stand in for the moderate/centrist Democrats, very far from a star. It's not like this is some totally unexpected upset of the establishment star.

- Most people commenting likely have only one major impression regarding this race: the approaches to crime

- Most people commenting likely don't know or care about the candidates positions on things like education, public transportation, taxes, etc.

- This race was framed around crime: Johnson was the defund the police guy, Vallas was the traditional hire more police, police union backing guy.

- There's a stigma and built in skepticism to: "defund police"

- It's my impression that Johnson has tried to walk back the "defund" stuff, but he's undoubtedly on the side of social services to address root cause of crime and Vallas was made his pro-police pitch clear as well.

- I have no problem accepting that addressing the root cause of crime is a worthy cause, I have no problem accepting that the current policing system/environment needs changing, it's not hard to believe that these concepts could work.

- I do have concerns for how it will actually play out in this city. I imagine they take time to implement and see results, costs money, requires strong leadership and cooperation. Not hard to imagine lots and lots of roadblocks and unintended consequences.

- Vallas's approach seemed like a less risky and more familiar approach, which is easy to lean towards if you're closer to a "have" than "have not".

- I didn't pay that close attention to this race and who knows what Johnson will actually be like in office.

Reactions: Ree4 and dgordo
It seems like both candidates were turds with no idea for how to implement their plans but I want to know what the hell Vallas was thinking by being associated with Trump, Desantis, and the local MAGA FOP leader

It seems like both candidates were turds with no idea for how to implement their plans but I want to know what the hell Vallas was thinking by being associated with Trump, Desantis, and the local MAGA FOP leader
Probably the same shit the Dem who ran against George Santos was thinking. "These people won't vote for me if I don't dog whistle about crime."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT