ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Street Court.

IMHO, I would name the locker room after him; his photo is already on the wall entering the locker room. I think that would be unique, as well as a pretty neat tribute to the
team-first player he was.
I like this idea. Or perhaps create a luxury box

Reactions: GRT2B1
We need to end this narrative right now that Iowa didn't recruit Iowa kids before Chris Street.

Wade Lookingbill
Troy Skinner
Brig Tubbs
Matt Bullard
Al Lorenzen
Todd Berkenpas
Bobby Hansen
Mark Gannon

Sure, not all of them were superstars. But Chris Street was far from the first Iowa kid to play for the Hawkeyes. I love the Chris Street story, but let's at least get it right.

I have been to Carver arena many times and brought friends. If the court was named after Chris my friends would see his value. Since I have never stepped into the locker room if it was named after Chris no one would know about him and his contributions. Out of sight out of mind is my opinion.

We need to end this narrative right now that Iowa didn't recruit Iowa kids before Chris Street.

Wade Lookingbill
Troy Skinner
Brig Tubbs
Matt Bullard
Al Lorenzen
Todd Berkenpas
Bobby Hansen
Mark Gannon

Sure, not all of them were superstars. But Chris Street was far from the first Iowa kid to play for the Hawkeyes. I love the Chris Street story, but let's at least get it right.
I can agree with you and say Chris would have been a superstar had he not died in the accident

Wade Lookingbill
Troy Skinner
Brig Tubbs
Matt Bullard
Al Lorenzen
Todd Berkenpas
Bobby Hansen
Mark Gannon

Sure, but Hansen and Bullard maybe Lorenzen. Gannon was decent, and Wade was a decent team player, but other then Bobby not stars. The other guys would not play in the B1G now.

Did Roy Carver buy building lifetime rights to the building name? We have Kinnick Stadium named after an athlete that passed away before his time. Carver-Street Arena works for me.

Sure, but Hansen and Bullard maybe Lorenzen. Gannon was decent, and Wade was a decent team player, but other then Bobby not stars. The other guys would not play in the B1G now.
Sure, but the point is the guy in the video said “Iowa didn’t recruit kids from Iowa before Street.” That is patently false. It’s based on something Jess Settles said in the Chris Street documentary, but now it’s being twisted into a narrative that is not accurate.

What could be said, accurately, is that Chris helped usher in a new era when Iowa kids could be superstars in both college and the NBA, with the emergence of players like Street, Settles, Bowen, LaFrentz, Collison, and others.

But Iowa absolutely recruited Iowa kids well before Chris Street. I feel like this young journalist has done a sloppy job gathering his facts, and is helping perpetuate a falsehood. The idea of renaming the court in Street’s honor would be more meaningful to me if the suggestion came from someone who actually had their facts straight.

Sure, but the point is the guy in the video said “Iowa didn’t recruit kids from Iowa before Street.” That is patently false. It’s based on something Jess Settles said in the Chris Street documentary, but now it’s being twisted into a narrative that is not accurate.

What could be said, accurately, is that Chris helped usher in a new era when Iowa kids could be superstars in both college and the NBA, with the emergence of players like Street, Settles, Bowen, LaFrentz, Collison, and others.

But Iowa absolutely recruited Iowa kids well before Chris Street. I feel like this young journalist has done a sloppy job gathering his facts, and is helping perpetuate a falsehood. The idea of renaming the court in Street’s honor would be more meaningful to me if the suggestion came from someone who actually had their facts straight.
I believe what Settles said in his piece on the Chris Street documentary was that People didn't think that the Iowa kids were good enough to play at Iowa, not that Iowa didn't recruit any Iowa players.

I believe what Settles said in his piece on the Chris Street documentary was that People didn't think that the Iowa kids were good enough to play at Iowa, not that Iowa didn't recruit any Iowa players.
Agreed. And he’s probably right. But the guy in the video twisted it into something else.

I’ve got no beef with Settles.

While I certainly think Chris’ legacy will last for a very long time, I’m not sure I’d go to the length of the court dedication. Kinnick was a heisman winner and died in service to his country. PLEASE don’t see this as a slight to Chris but he hadn’t achieved the “playing field” level as Nile. I get that he may have eventually gotten some major awards but for the sake of argument…
His death was impactful to MANY folks, myself included being the same age as him, and I HATE that we have Mediacom as the title because they do suck, but I just don’t know if I go to that level. The locker room idea has major merit—especially with the mentioned aspect of what a teammate and team oriented guy Chris was.

Last edited:
I’m an idiot. I actually thought OP had an original thought and opened this thread. I’m very disappointed in myself.

Got to say I don’t love the idea. We all loved Chris Street but he wasn’t an all American and didn’t break any race barriers. He was a great person and promising player by all accounts and we honor him by Chris Street day and retiring his uniform. I’m not going to be upset if it happens, but I think the tragedy of his death in an automobile accident is not an appropriate event to warrant such an honor.

There needs to be a bronze statue of him.before each game play a tribute to him as the do Kinnick before fb game.

I'm not totally sure how to feel about it. It's tough because I can see it both ways.

My first reaction is that I think it's a cool idea. The importance of Street to the program and his legacy can't be understated.

On the flip side, as others have said, enough is already being done to honor Chris's memory, and I think it's already appropriate as-is. Is it possible to overdo it?

After thinking on it more, I'd say it's not needed and would leave it alone. If they do it, though? I'd be cool with it.

I wonder how the Streets feel.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

Wade Lookingbill
Troy Skinner
Brig Tubbs
Matt Bullard
Al Lorenzen
Todd Berkenpas
Bobby Hansen
Mark Gannon

Clay Hargrave
Russ Millard
Gary Olsen
Steve Waite
Mike Gatens
Kevin Kunnert
Neil Fegebank
Rick Wlliams
Jimmy Collins
Dick Jensen

Reactions: Max_Rebo
Bucky O’Connor led Iowa to two final fours before dying young in a car accident. IMO he is more deserving.

Reactions: 83Hawk
The new Iowa Bud & Mary’s downtown Bball arena could have Chris Street Court.

Clay Hargrave
Russ Millard
Gary Olsen
Steve Waite
Mike Gatens
Kevin Kunnert
Neil Fegebank
Rick Wlliams
Jimmy Collins
Dick Jensen
Thanks for these additions. My memories run out around the early 80s.

Also, I think Russ Millard came just after Street, not before him.

Reactions: amahawk
I would like the Iowa hoops mvp award to be called the Chris Street award.

Hopefully I’m missing the sarcasm here, but they already award a player(s) with the Chris Street Award every season for the player(s) who exemplifies the spirit, intensity, and enthusiasm that Chris portrayed.

I would say that it’s easily the highest award given by Iowa Basketball after each season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT