ADVERTISEMENT

City Boards/Commissions/Council Experience?

billbrasky3216

Scout Team
Nov 16, 2011
I've been thinking about getting more involved in my city and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with boards, commissions, or city council. Would you recommend it? What are your experiences?

I have a little bit of experience from a college internship (worked for the Mayor and was on an Economic Development Commission) and have recently been thinking about applying for a spot on the Planning and Zoning Commission. I have a little experience that might help me to get on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. I thought the Public Arts Advisory Commission might be cool, too, but I have no experience in that area.

I'm seriously asking for your stories/recommendations/advice, but please feel free to post your favorite pic from Parks and Rec!

hgGbRht.jpg

Last edited:
Pick a board or commission where you have some
expertise to share. When the meetings are open to
the public you need to demonstrate that you are
in the know about the subject matter. If you have
a passion to help your community then go for it.

I've been thinking about getting more involved in my city and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with boards, commissions, or city council. Would you recommend it? What are your experiences?

I have a little bit of experience from a college internship (worked for the Mayor and was on an Economic Development Commission) and have recently been thinking about applying for a spot on the Planning and Zoning Commission. I have a little experience that might help me to get on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. I thought the Public Arts Advisory Commission might be cool, too, but I have no experience in that area.

I'm seriously asking for your stories/recommendations/advice, but please feel free to post your favorite pic from Parks n' Rec!

hgGbRht.jpg

Serve on a committee first. It's a good trial run to determine if it is the right thing for you and your potential victims the public as well.

I have been on the Planning and Zoning Board for about 1 1/2 years. We only meet when there is a zoning issue. I have yet to have a meeting.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I do understand it's a thankless job. Was kind of hoping there would be some positive responses, too!

Pick a board or commission where you have some
expertise to share. When the meetings are open to
the public you need to demonstrate that you are
in the know about the subject matter. If you have
a passion to help your community then go for it.

Thanks Lute. I worked a couple summer jobs (many years ago now) for the Parks Department, so maybe I should go down that road first to see if I like it. I'm definitely not an expert, but I think I could at least contribute. Appreciate the feedback!

Somebody has to do it, but it's a pretty thankless job. Half of the people interested in any particular issue will be upset with whatever you do. As mentioned, the people who have the least amount of knowledge on an issue will be the most vocal. Your 'free time' and anonymity are over. You can be getting a coffee and somebody will want to complain about something if they recognize you.
But, it provides a valuable perspective and interesting life experience I suppose (that is me trying to find the positive in it...).

Eventually I plan on getting on our parks commission board, but probably not for another 5-6 years. Good experience and a way to give back to the community.

I will echo what was said above and say serve on a board or commission first. Its a good training ground for being on council.

Yes, you will get phone calls, etc. as a councilor and there are likely to be a hard decision or two.

However its important to our society. It matters more than screaming on message boards or facebook about politics.

My father LOVED city council/mayor work in a small Iowa town for 30+ years. It and his work as a professional/entrepeneur in the community, really made him become a part of the community. You have to be able to appreciate small successes and work with folks who want to succeed and want the community as a whole to benefit.
In retrospect his work gave my mother and us boys lots of great stories and we met some pretty influencial people of state and even national renown. And then, we all got lots of amusement out of "the citizen complaints" too.
If you have a passion for "public work", God Bless You and by all means go for it. If you do though, please don't become one of those city officials who view the chief responsibility of the job as a seat in a convertible at the 4th of July parade. Remember the greater good and the good of the community.

Your 'free time' and anonymity are over. You can be getting a coffee and somebody will want to complain about something if they recognize you. But, it provides a valuable perspective and interesting life experience I suppose (that is me trying to find the positive in it...).

I never thought about it that way, and that's definitely something to consider. I was thinking of a board or commission in the short term b/c I live in a bigger city, but eventually if/when the family decides to move to a smaller town/suburb I may decide to make the move to a council position if it helps me have more impact. That's some long term thinking, though.

My father LOVED city council/mayor work in a small Iowa town for 30+ years. It and his work as a professional/entrepeneur in the community, really made him become a part of the community. You have to be able to appreciate small successes and work with folks who want to succeed and want the community as a whole to benefit.
In retrospect his work gave my mother and us boys lots of great stories and we met some pretty influencial people of state and even national renown. And then, we all got lots of amusement out of "the citizen complaints" too.

Thank you for this response. It's good to hear an anecdote from someone who has had a positive experience! Care to share any of those stories?

If you have a passion for "public work", God Bless You and by all means go for it. If you do though, please don't become one of those city officials who view the chief responsibility of the job as a seat in a convertible at the 4th of July parade. Remember the greater good and the good of the community.

I'm definitely not doing it for any accolades. I absolutely agree that the glory hounds are very off-putting and they give government work a bad name - even on this more micro level. I still intend to run my own business so this will not be my identity. Thanks again for your comments!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT