ADVERTISEMENT

Clark’s On Court Gestures

Did your dog write this? Are those ........ between thoughts pants by your dog?
oh I guess you are as douchey as you seemed...................... I’m a 60 year old man typing with my thumb on a cell phone who doesn’t like to **** with punctuation.... sorry I drew attention to you being an asshole.... maybe mom will bring you down some warm milk and cookies before bed

Reactions: trail888
I have seen very little of her on tv and I mostly follow on radio, but I am kind of surprised by her lack of defensive effort. My goodness she is an offensive juggernaut but she seems to not guard at all the little bit I have seen. Looked like Lisa finally pulled her in the 4th qtr and the hawks quickly got the lead back with better defense. Are you seeing this since you have seen her play a lot more than I?
Her defense could use some work for sure, but she'll get there. During one of her games a few weeks ago the commentator who has a long history with the WNBA said she could go pro now, she's that good. She won't be here for 4 years.

Just wish she had a better supporting cast, Warnock and Monica C. IMO are the only other Big 10 level talents on the team. I hope she doesn’t become frustrated and take her immense talent elsewhere.
take Clark off this team and we are probably fighting it out for last place in the B10

It's a matter of player's trusting themselves. I would say Martin and Marshall are both growing in confidence. And Megan Meyer is also growing in confidence as a reserve. I've said many times this season that player's need to look for their shot. The team is at it's best when the guards can drive and kick. I've seen players hesitate as well, either passing up good looks or not looking to drive. There's too much passing around the perimeter. That being said, the offense is still productive and is excellent in transition. I think there is more talent on this team than fans' give credit. But aside from Monica, the talent is mostly freshman and sophomores. Cook and Taiwo are the only other upperclassmen seeing the floor and they were both deep reserves last year.

When the players gain experience, and more importantly the confidence to know the right time to shoot or try and when to try and take the defender off the dribble, then others will see how much talent there really is. I've been watching Bluder's team for 20 plus years and I'm very confident in the future of this team and the talent level of this year's roster. I think that even with another really good class coming in, it will be hard to find minutes for freshmen next year.

I will trust your judgment on Iowa's roster compared to other teams as some of us here see just a few games. With that said. when viewing the Iowa vs OSU game the difference in just size and athleticism per player was stark. Those things can be overcome, but the team has less margin for error.

referees w good memories????

they can’t even remember how to apply the cylinder rule, how do you expect them to remember someone’s reactions
I realize the sarcasm but you know very well that everyone including the zebras develop an opinion. A bias of sorts that is associated to every person they meet and life happens based on that opinion/bias/viewpoint so its always best to err on the positive side if you can.
Its obviously harder for kids and moreover with extremely talented kids that haven't had to experience a lot of negative in their life.
Clark seems to be pretty smart to me and with a small amount of coaching I am more than confident she will get things figured out and be just fine.

Reactions: r448chlpo
Some of you are an embarrassment to all the supportive Hawkeye fans . Nothing is ever good enough for you. You always need to have something to bitch about. Caitlin Clark did not come here to play for asshats like some of you are. No one would. If all Hawkeye fans were like these bit*hers we'd have no players at all. Me, I'm thrilled that Clark is a Hawkeye. She could have played anywhere.

This is a single, isolated, completely unfair judgement, but there was an instance late in the OSU game where CC's history/penchant/ability for doing everything for her team may have cost the team.

OSU was shooting FTs with under 2 minutes left and missed the second. The OSU girl in the lane didn't even try for the rebound. CC was in the third spot on the lane, and her and the girl (can't recall who) who was on the low block both went for the ball, it bounced off the foot of an Iowa player and gave OSU another possession late.

That rebound was the girls on the low block, and CC appeared (wrongly) upset after. Granted, I was watching this on my phone, and may have completely misinterpreted the frustration.

CC is great, but will be even better the more she gets used to being able to trust her teammates.

Some of you are an embarrassment to all the supportive Hawkeye fans . Nothing is ever good enough for you. You always need to have something to bitch about. Caitlin Clark did not come here to play for asshats like some of you are. No one would. If all Hawkeye fans were like these bit*hers we'd have no players at all. Me, I'm thrilled that Clark is a Hawkeye. She could have played anywhere.

Generally agree. Most people here wouldn't last 1 day having every aspect of their job critiqued for everyone to comment on and share their super-useful tips for improving.

After the next game the Iowa men lose (and they will lose at some point this season) the long knives will be out for whoever happened to have a bad game. I don't know what the answer is, as a big reason why they get athletic scholarships is that people are very interested in watching and commenting and everything that goes with it. But some people definitely go over the line, assuming things about players' character that are all based on supposition.

Give me 5 of her on my team anyday, she plays with a cocky confidence and I love that. Why do you thinks teams like UCONN and the blue bloods win every year, because they have 4 or 5 of her on their teams. Iowa fans are not used to seeing this type of player but she is exactly what Iowa needs to get over the hump. Don't change a thing and just let her be her and play the game and hopefully that will rub off on other teammates.

In her postgame Bluder said they changed defense in the 4th quarter and the last 5 minutes she felt the need to go with a more defensive oriented lineup. Caitlin had nothing but praise for Bluder for making that switch in her interview too.
+1

Reactions: UptownHawk
This is a single, isolated, completely unfair judgement, but there was an instance late in the OSU game where CC's history/penchant/ability for doing everything for her team may have cost the team.

OSU was shooting FTs with under 2 minutes left and missed the second. The OSU girl in the lane didn't even try for the rebound. CC was in the third spot on the lane, and her and the girl (can't recall who) who was on the low block both went for the ball, it bounced off the foot of an Iowa player and gave OSU another possession late.

That rebound was the girls on the low block, and CC appeared (wrongly) upset after. Granted, I was watching this on my phone, and may have completely misinterpreted the frustration.

CC is great, but will be even better the more she gets used to being able to trust her teammates.
I saw it as she was upset with herself, not her teammate but who knows. She is emotional player now. Will hopefully control those emotion as time goes on.

The negatively towards Clark is really weird. She has aspects of her game which need improvement, like any player ever... and she's just a true freshman. She will get there. She is passionate and if there any perceived character issues then Bluder and her will work that out but I don't think there are any issues. And for the record, I make the same annoyed facial expressions as Clark after some of these calls from officials. They are bad across the board in the women's games. Like magnitudes worse than the men's games. It's the same freaking sport! If anything it should be easier to officiate since the women's game isn't as fast paced. I don't get it.

Are WNBA contracts that lucrative that it is worth leaving college early? I trust you guys more than google.

referees w good memories????

they can’t even remember how to apply the cylinder rule, how do you expect them to remember someone’s reactions

Trust me.. that is the one thing referees consider a point of emphasis on every game. To the point that they will gossip to other crews about which players need a slap.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
The negatively towards Clark is really weird. She has aspects of her game which need improvement, like any player ever... and she's just a true freshman. She will get there. She is passionate and if there any perceived character issues then Bluder and her will work that out but I don't think there are any issues. And for the record, I make the same annoyed facial expressions as Clark after some of these calls from officials. They are bad across the board in the women's games. Like magnitudes worse than the men's games. It's the same freaking sport! If anything it should be easier to officiate since the women's game isn't as fast paced. I don't get it.

I watched this in soccer back in the day....some officials approach the women's game as if the women need extra protection. They don't allow nearly the level of physicality as they do in the mens game and it is wrong.

Reactions: libertyhawkeye

Dude I think I normally agree with you but in this case I don't really. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is thrilled Clark is a hawk. But some including me has noticed how snobby she can act. Who are you to say we can't comment on it?

Anyway, I'm sure she'll grow out of it and we'll all be happy when she leads the hawks to the final 4

Have any of the posters who are harping on her "body language" actually sat courtside at anything above High School or played at an advanced level? The level of profanity and bitching about calls is constant. I'll take her level of competitive "red ass" any day. I guess a girl from Iowa just isn't supposed to show it.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Dude I think I normally agree with you but in this case I don't really. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is thrilled Clark is a hawk. But some including me has noticed how snobby she can act. Who are you to say we can't comment on it?

Anyway, I'm sure she'll grow out of it and we'll all be happy when she leads the hawks to the final 4

You should probably consult a dictionary before using the word snobby. It doesn't mean what your post implies.

Also I can name at least a dozen players in WBB whose actions are much concerning. A lot of posters freaking out over a few smirks need to take a serious chill pill and drop the mightier than thou attitudes.

It's been a very long time since Iowa has landed elite WBB talent. Acting like jackasses about something so petty is a good way to ensure it never happens again.

For me, some of it comes down to my preference for "Iowa Nice" style on the court/field. That's my problem. I made fun of Kathleen "I've never committed a foul in my life" Doyle's reaction to every call against her, but her attitude was part of her drive that couldn't be changed without making her a lesser player. Ditto with Caitlin Clark. I've never seen a player like her at Iowa. I can take her reaction on a few plays. I also see her gathering the team once in a while and doing some on-court coaching. She will only get more effective as an on-court presence and teammate.

One rule I would like to see return from back in the day: Players raising a hand to acknowledge foul calls. Just like signing a traffic ticket, it says not that they like or agree with the call, but yep, it was on me. It also helps me as a viewer, the play-play people, and whoever keeps the book.

No one is arguing you aren't entitled to your opinion. Neither are people forced to agree with you. We are also free to make assumptions about you based on how far you are willing to go after a player's character based on "facial expressions."

Reactions: mtown66
For me, some of it comes down to my preference for "Iowa Nice" style on the court/field. That's my problem. I made fun of Kathleen "I've never committed a foul in my life" Doyle's reaction to every call against her, but her attitude was part of her drive that couldn't be changed without making her a lesser player. Ditto with Caitlin Clark. I've never seen a player like her at Iowa. I can take her reaction on a few plays. I also see her gathering the team once in a while and doing some on-court coaching. She will only get more effective as an on-court presence and teammate.

One rule I would like to see return from back in the day: Players raising a hand to acknowledge foul calls. Just like signing a traffic ticket, it says not that they like or agree with the call, but yep, it was on me. It also helps me as a viewer, the play-play people, and whoever keeps the book.
There was a rule that players had to raise their hand when a foul was called on them? Seriously? Was it like a technical foul if you just didn't do it?

Reactions: 2bagger22
It's usually when a player tries to protect a teammate who's in foul trouble and guides the ref away from calling the foul on the teammate.

Have any of the posters who are harping on her "body language" actually sat courtside at anything above High School or played at an advanced level? The level of profanity and bitching about calls is constant. I'll take her level of competitive "red ass" any day. I guess a girl from Iowa just isn't supposed to show it.
To answer your question- yes, i have.

I for one don't care about complaining about calls (though i am not sure its very productive). But being too demonstrative to teammates on the court is different. This was somewhat of a habit she had in HS. That said, I am sure Bluder, or perhaps some of the older teammates, have a handle on it.

And this is definitely picking nits!

You might ask yourself why you feel compelled to make such negative comments about a girl who is in her first year out of high school. Why the need to post such stuff on the internet? Who are you helping and what is the depth of your knowledge to make such observations? I'd ask the same questions to all who feel the need to gossip and to push negative talk about a Hawkeye who absolutely didn't sign up for this crap. Your negative remarks say much more about you then it does about Clark.

I for one don't care about complaining about calls (though i am not sure its very productive). But being too demonstrative to teammates on the court is different. This was somewhat of a habit she had in HS. That said, I am sure Bluder, or perhaps some of the older teammates, have a handle on it.

[/QU

Can you just stop? if you don't like it don't watch. Or keep it to yourself. Like stated she is a generational player. And yes she is the best player to have put on an Iowa woman's uniform. She is competitive, a freshman and a bit in a league of her own. Sounds like you would bitch if your ice cream was cold. We don't need a whole thread on this.

Reactions: mtown66
Lol, dude, you are making a way bigger deal of this that I did. I already said it was picking nits. I like Clark as a player, and am ecstatic she is a hawk. I didn't participate in any debate one way or the other about her all time rank as a Hawk after a dozen college games..

My only point was that it could be detrimental to team chemistry if she regularly gets mad at other players, especially when they didn't do anything wrong (which is what happened with the free throw rebound late in the OSU when it was her fault for going after a rebound that wasn't hers). And I followed that up by saying i don't really need to care about it, because its not my team, and i trust that Coach Bluder to do what is best for her team.

Maybe you have me confused with someone else or something.. either way, i hope your day gets better from here

Are WNBA contracts that lucrative that it is worth leaving college early? I trust you guys more than google.
Generally, the WNBA players have gone to Europe in the off season to make their money, and then back to the WNBA for prestige, at least as I understand it. I was surprised that Doyle left her team early, as she seemed the type to do anything or go anywhere to play basketball. But these are very strange times.

Lay off Caitlin...Doyle in her freshman year exhibited the same competitive swagger. Connor on the men's side does many of the same things that the Clark critics bring up. She is a great player and will lead the Lady Hawkeyes to great things!

oh I guess you are as douchey as you seemed...................... I’m a 60 year old man typing with my thumb on a cell phone who doesn’t like to **** with punctuation.... sorry I drew attention to you being an asshole.... maybe mom will bring you down some warm milk and cookies before bed
Congrats on being 60 and you do have a fine looking dog. I do have an asshole and a mom. No warm milk or cookies though, those days have long gone by. I am articulate, communicate at a much higher intellectual level than you and like to vacation near the ocean. Enjoy your thumb and be good to that nice looking, healthy dog. “Douchey” out

You might ask yourself why you feel compelled to make such negative comments about a girl who is in her first year out of high school. Why the need to post such stuff on the internet? Who are you helping and what is the depth of your knowledge to make such observations? I'd ask the same questions to all who feel the need to gossip and to push negative talk about a Hawkeye who absolutely didn't sign up for this crap. Your negative remarks say much more about you then it does about Clark.

Lol, overreact much 😮

If I didn't know any better i would think you're a liberal 😐

Last edited:
By the way Doyle in NO way acted like clark does. Doyles teammates loved her. Had no problem with Doyle whatsoever. Maybe it's just Caitlin personally but I guarantee her teammates don't like being bossed/frowned at/have her arms thrown up at them. Especially from a freshman, I don't care how good she is. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Raise your hand and face towards the scores table.
That was actually a rule for the entire sport of basketball? When did this go away? Never heard of such a rule, maybe I'm just too young. Seems pretty silly as the ref should be able to identify the number of the player he/she just called a foul on.

Granted this was only the second time I have watched the ladies play and Clark definitely has a wealth of talent. But one thing that I feel that she needs to clean up are her hand gestures and wry smiles every time a call goes against her. Many referees have good memories and it could come back to bite her in the derrière many times over if she doesn’t get that under control.
So if you were a ref you'd hold it against her? Interesting.

Trust me.. that is the one thing referees consider a point of emphasis on every game. To the point that they will gossip to other crews about which players need a slap.
I really believe they talk to each other but I really doubt they call other crews to discuss their nights work. Otherwise B Knight would have been kicked out of every game he coached..

That was actually a rule for the entire sport of basketball? When did this go away? Never heard of such a rule, maybe I'm just too young. Seems pretty silly as the ref should be able to identify the number of the player he/she just called a foul on.

I don’t know if it was an actual “rule” or something that was “that’s just the way it was done”. I guess it was supposed to help the official scorer get the right person for a foul. Heck, guess I’m so old I didn’t even realize players don’t raise their hand any more. I think it was more of a high school thing than college. I know there are officials that post on here. Nobody raises their hand after a foul any more?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT