ADVERTISEMENT

Clark and yhe Olympics

That’s a great question. I personally think she would as long as she’s healthy. I’m sure winning a gold at the Olympics is one of her personal goals so why not if the opportunity is there? Curious to hear what others have to say for reasons she might not though.

Reactions: amahawk
Caitlin would need to get invited to some of the USA training camps, after the college season ends. They select the team from the pool of players invited to these camps, I'd say 8-9 spots are already locks if those players commit to playing so there are a few spots available. If nothing else, I think they invite her to get her acclimated to the competition level for the national team.

Playing for the senior women's national team, especially in an Olympic year, is one of the most prestigious honors for an American woman basketball player. Unlike the men's national team, the women's team is comprised of the best of the best. Typically you have to pay your dues by going to the camps and demonstrating sustained success at the WNBA level. It is rare for even college superstars to make the national team right out of the gates.

The depth of USA talent is insane. Many players who could absolutely be capable contributors on a gold medal squad choose to become naturalized citizens of other countries to play for their national teams. It can be great money, and there's no guarantee that paying your dues and waiting your turn to play for Team USA will ever work out.

Politics also play a role. It was an absolute scandal when Candace Parker, a Tennessee alum one of the greatest players of all time, was left off the 2016 team. Geno Auriemma of UConn (Tennessee's arch rival) was the coach that year...

All this is to say---
If Clark's career continues on its current trajectory, I'd expect her to be an Olympian at some point. If that doesn't happen in 2024, it wouldn't shock me. In fact, I'd probably be more surprised of her making the 2024 squad than not. Even if she were to forgo her NCAA Covid year and have a Rookie-of-the-Year-caliber first couple of months in the WNBA, it would probably still take some injuries/retirements to the more veteran guards for Clark to be considered.

Playing for the senior women's national team, especially in an Olympic year, is one of the most prestigious honors for an American woman basketball player. Unlike the men's national team, the women's team is comprised of the best of the best. Typically you have to pay your dues by going to the camps and demonstrating sustained success at the WNBA level. It is rare for even college superstars to make the national team right out of the gates.

The depth of USA talent is insane. Many players who could absolutely be capable contributors on a gold medal squad choose to become naturalized citizens of other countries to play for their national teams. It can be great money, and there's no guarantee that paying your dues and waiting your turn to play for Team USA will ever work out.

Politics also play a role. It was an absolute scandal when Candace Parker, a Tennessee alum one of the greatest players of all time, was left off the 2016 team. Geno Auriemma of UConn (Tennessee's arch rival) was the coach that year...

All this is to say---
If Clark's career continues on its current trajectory, I'd expect her to be an Olympian at some point. If that doesn't happen in 2024, it wouldn't shock me. In fact, I'd probably be more surprised of her making the 2024 squad than not. Even if she were to forgo her NCAA Covid year and have a Rookie-of-the-Year-caliber first couple of months in the WNBA, it would probably still take some injuries/retirements to the more veteran guards for Clark to be considered.
Thank you for your insight. Shouldn’t be surprised I guess, but I didn’t expect politics to play a role in making the team. You’d think they’d want it to be the best players possible. Not to say that’s not the case other years of course. I’m sure some of it also depends on how well players play together.

Reactions: undersized_post
I agree leaving Candace Parker off the 2016 Rio team was a questionable decision. I know a lot of people called it UCONN bias but there was also the already 'stressed' relationship between Candace and Geno to consider.

When looking at the whole picture of what the team needed, it was probably the right one. Based on what the team faced in 2012 London, Candace struggled with the physicality of Australia's big players so they went in another direction. Griner was added, Tina Charles moved to the 4, Sylvia Fowles was back healthy at the 5, they needed stretch 4's which arguably Elena Delle Donne/Breanna Stewart games were better suited for.

The Nneka Ogwumike decision in 2020 was also questionable after she did everything the committee asked of athletes. They instead went with an extra guard to get experience with Bird moving on and Taurasi unsure of her future.

So was it political? Was it what was best for each team? That could be debated ad-nauseam as there is a strong case for each.

Reactions: undersized_post
I agree leaving Candace Parker off the 2016 Rio team was a questionable decision. I know a lot of people called it UCONN bias but there was also the already 'stressed' relationship between Candace and Geno to consider.

When looking at the whole picture of what the team needed, it was probably the right one. Based on what the team faced in 2012 London, Candace struggled with the physicality of Australia's big players so they went in another direction. Griner was added, Tina Charles moved to the 4, Sylvia Fowles was back healthy at the 5, they needed stretch 4's which arguably Elena Delle Donne/Breanna Stewart games were better suited for.

The Nneka Ogwumike decision in 2020 was also questionable after she did everything the committee asked of athletes. They instead went with an extra guard to get experience with Bird moving on and Taurasi unsure of her future.

So was it political? Was it what was best for each team? That could be debated ad-nauseam as there is a strong case for each.
All fair points and you clearly know your way around the issue/history. You're right that it's not always clear cut.

...But I would counter that continuing to let a player like Diana Taurasi make the team when she is as washed up as she is at this point is absolutely political. If DT is really going to play through next season like she claims she is, she's pretty much a lock for the Olympic squad. That's one less guard spot for Caitlin to potentially occupy...

Very true about Nneka. I was angry about how that went down as well. In a way, Napheesa Collier (same position) took her spot. Another UConn player lol. It was extra dumb considering Atkins, SDS, and Collier basically never played.

Thank you for your insight. Shouldn’t be surprised I guess, but I didn’t expect politics to play a role in making the team. You’d think they’d want it to be the best players possible. Not to say that’s not the case other years of course. I’m sure some of it also depends on how well players play together.
If politics play a role, I should think that would help her since she is presently the most recognizable name in women's basketball. Plus, she has a couple of major corporations backing her and a large number of celebrities.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
If politics play a role, I should think that would help her since she is presently the most recognizable name in women's basketball. Plus, she has a couple of major corporations backing her and a large number of celebrities.
Not to mention that presumably the WNBA would really like to see her come out after this season. Could an Olympic team spot be dangled as quid pro quo?

I could see major drama with her being in this Olympic cycle. WNBA veterans wouldn't take kindly to a college senior getting a spot. I don't think she'd be welcomed with open arms without ever having been invited to a camp previously. I'm having visions of when Laettner was on the Dream Team though Clark is better.

Clark is waaayyy better than what Laettner was. Talk about politics. He should have never been on that team. I wonder whose place he took. I would have been a little more than pissed.

I could see major drama with her being in this Olympic cycle. WNBA veterans wouldn't take kindly to a college senior getting a spot. I don't think she'd be welcomed with open arms without ever having been invited to a camp previously. I'm having visions of when Laettner was on the Dream Team though Clark is better.
I think that this is close to the truth .

I think that this is close to the truth .
And the vets would be justified in their anger. As good as Clark is, and as high of a pro ceiling as she has, there is a significant gap between college and pros. The NCAA/WNBA divide is more extreme for the women because roster spots are so few. Offensively, but especially defensively will be a major adjustment. Kelsey Plum and Sabrina Ionescu are decent pro comps for Clark and it took both of them a few of seasons to find their stride. (Injuries played a role in that, but still...)

Unless Clark turns pro in 2024 and has an All-Star caliber first couple months of her WNBA season (May and June), she wouldn't deserve to be named an Olympian in July.

Clark is a generational talent, players at that level know and respect talent. Current WNBA players are already lobbying for her to come out this season. If she's invited and attends the spring camps and shows out over other players proving she belongs, absolutely she'd be deserving as it was earned. A similar example is Breanna Stewart, another generational talent who made the 2016 Rio team in her WNBA rookie season and played well.

At this point we don't know if she'll be invited, we also don't know the 3x3 roster yet which will effect the national team roster (at least 2 guards). In the guard court, there are definitely spots open because Ariel Atkins and SDS didn't show much in the time they did get.

I'd disagree Diana Taurasi is washed up, she's got plenty of game (not like the past 4-8 years) not to mention a vast amount of international experience and leadership at that level too. Can she stay healthy is the biggest question mark.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I think requirements for her return would be a compelling combination of multiple of these:
- Unfinished business, miss title, but feel like they had a real shot getting a title.
- Stuelke develops to the point where she has Monica type synergy with clark
- One of the posts shows enough to be competitive against the top 5 teams
- Emergence of Syd at the 3 playing on par with what Kate brings?
- Taylor really showing defense and looking a lot like Mckensie Meyer?
- A big name transfer coming in that is an instant upgrade and Clark would want a chancce to play with
- A last minute commit of a top 5 recruit (not PG) that could be expected to contribute day1
- One of the current recruits really taking off
- a really bad draft condition
- NIL deals that are Iowa centered

Reasons she would just be gone:
- team wins a title
- lack of synergy with the posts
- best friends/key pieces (Kate/Gabby/Molly) are gone
- underclass doesn't to the point where next years team could be a title contender
- A good draft position where she really wants to play (Fever/Lynx)?
- National NIL deals
- Just feels like its time

I think requirements for her return would be a compelling combination of multiple of these:
- Unfinished business, miss title, but feel like they had a real shot getting a title.
- Stuelke develops to the point where she has Monica type synergy with clark
- One of the posts shows enough to be competitive against the top 5 teams
- Emergence of Syd at the 3 playing on par with what Kate brings?
- Taylor really showing defense and looking a lot like Mckensie Meyer?
- A big name transfer coming in that is an instant upgrade and Clark would want a chancce to play with
- A last minute commit of a top 5 recruit (not PG) that could be expected to contribute day1
- One of the current recruits really taking off
- a really bad draft condition
- NIL deals that are Iowa centered

Reasons she would just be gone:
- team wins a title
- lack of synergy with the posts
- best friends/key pieces (Kate/Gabby/Molly) are gone
- underclass doesn't to the point where next years team could be a title contender
- A good draft position where she really wants to play (Fever/Lynx)?
- National NIL deals
- Just feels like its time
Ironic that Indiana is the most likely WNBA team to be drawn first in the draft lottery, the same city where Connor McCaffery is now working for the Pacers. I agree with all your other criteria. Very well thought out.

I know itys probably out there, but how do expansion teams fit in? I assume they get to jump the line for some picks, or do they get extra salary cap?

While we don't know exactly how the process will go, we can look to history for precedent. In 2008, the Atlanta Dream built their inaugural roster of 13 players via an expansion draft by selecting from a pool of available players from the other 13 WNBA franchises, and by conducting multiple trades. For the expansion draft, which was held in February before free agency, each team was able to protect a maximum of six players who were not eligible for selection by Atlanta. The Dream could choose one player from each team regardless of contract status, although they couldn't select multiple unrestricted free agents. Atlanta then had the right to "core" that unrestricted free agent -- in the Dream's case, Betty Lennox.

Clark to the warriors would be high risk/reward in my opinion. they already have Curry in that market, so while the Curry/Clark synergy could be cool, I think she might be more marketable in a smaller market where her game is not seen as much? I also think that a lot of what makes Clark insanely popular in Iowa/midwest is her values/personality. Those attributes may not stand out as much in bigger more crowded markets.

I suppose if Clark is a top 3 pick as projected, she would probably be on the protected list for the team. The aces for example would have a hard time protecting putting rookies on the protected 6 unless they had people they were going to have trouble keeping signed due to salary cap.

Here's a little more about the player pool and who will be on the National Team's games against colleges. A lot of these players don't play overseas, or they report later in the year, and the players like Stewart who do play overseas will join up whenever they can at future camps.

They'll also play in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament in February which is a 'training camp' of sorts since they already qualified by winning the World Cup. Another training camp will be held at the final four.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story...a-taurasi-headline-usa-basketball-exhibitions

I suppose if Clark is a top 3 pick as projected, she would probably be on the protected list for the team. The aces for example would have a hard time protecting putting rookies on the protected 6 unless they had people they were going to have trouble keeping signed due to salary cap.
She is not predicted to be a top 3 pick. She is predicted to be the #1 pick.

Caitlin would need to get invited to some of the USA training camps, after the college season ends. They select the team from the pool of players invited to these camps, I'd say 8-9 spots are already locks if those players commit to playing so there are a few spots available. If nothing else, I think they invite her to get her acclimated to the competition level for the national team.
I think they invite her just to draw publicity to the team, although it does depend on who is already going. More people will watch them if she is on the team, though.

Reactions: jockos
Clark is waaayyy better than what Laettner was. Talk about politics. He should have never been on that team. I wonder whose place he took. I would have been a little more than pissed.
Not really an apples to apples comparison as that team was required to have an "amatuer/college" player on the roster - this example with Clark does not. And to say Clark is waaayyy better than Laettner was may be a bit of a stretch. He was also a college Player of the Year and a Consensus 1st Team All American.

Not really an apples to apples comparison as that team was required to have an "amatuer/college" player on the roster - this example with Clark does not. And to say Clark is waaayyy better than Laettner was may be a bit of a stretch. He was also a college Player of the Year and a Consensus 1st Team All American.
The Clark/Laettner comparison has to be seen in historical perspective. Before the Dream Team year, only amateur athletes were allowed to compete, so basically just college players. The rules changed to allow pros, but there was a mindset that there should remain some semblance of amateur competition. No one was convinced that Laettner was "better" than other available pros, but the rules committee/teams felt the team really had to have at least one college player. I'd be surprised if Caitlin plays on the 2024 Olympic team, as she has not established herself among those players, or at that level, nor has she even committed to entering the draft. My guess is we'll see her on the 2026 national team competing for starting PG, among a group of 3 great players. All that said, we also have to consider that CC has grown her game every year, and should expect another year of progress in her decision-making, reducing her turnovers, developing her body, etc. One major difference I've seen already is that she has really worked on her left hand, which was an issue, and one that would have limited her effectiveness at the next level. Plus, she's shown some new moves. How good will she be by the end of the year?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT